“Where do I start”
Review of Maca Villas & Spa

Maca Villas & Spa
Ranked #32 of 147 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Where do I start, We stayed at Maca Villa for two weeks over the last Christmas Holidays and New Years eve. I can only say that I have never found a hotel as fine as this one. Mind you, we have stayed in deluxe resorts and hotels all over the world, from the Maldives to Thailand, Africa and all over the USA. What we found here is such a gem. The villa's are classy an private, the restaurant serves great food and wines. The Ipolito coffee bar serves beter Machiato's as most coffee bar's in Milan Italy. Than the staff.... what can I say, they really made feel at home and made our stay at Maca villa's probably one of the best holiday's in our life, we salute and thank you for that.

ps
Don't think we have any connection with the owner or such after this raving review, it's the simple truth.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 13 but I heard the same good experiences from other guests
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Maca Villas & Spa

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Really enjoyed our quick two day stay at the Maca Villas staying in a Pool Villa. First time in a villa in Seminyak rather than a hotel in one of the bigger establishments further south. Everything was beautiful, just as in the photos online. Spent a whole day just in our villa in and out of the pool. Excellent bathroom and great big comfortable bed. Service always friendly and nice coffee at the café.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Before leaving Australia for Bali I booked private transfers from the airport in Denpasar to Maca villa as were arriving late at night (directly with Maca). All was confirmed without a hitch. When we arrived in Denpasar we were met by the driver as well as the manager from Maca -at first I thought this was a nice touch (if not a little over the top) until informed there had been a mistake with our booking (which was via Flight Centre and who had reconfirmed the booking the week prior with Maca) and they had no villa for us. They had however arranged another villa 'nearby' for the first night. Given it was late in the evening there wasn't much we could do about it other than to accept it.

We were dropped at villa which was about 25 mins drive from Maca (not my idea of 'close'). The villa was pretty nice until 6.00 am in the morning where we realised it was on a major road way - the motor bike noise started and just didn't let up. It was like being on a grand prix track. There was no way we could sleep so called up Maca who then sent us transport to pick us up.

We arrived at Maca around 8.00 am - It was still early so we ate breakfast by the pool and then waited until 2.00pm until we could check in.

To say we were annoyed by this experience would be an understatement. I can understand mistakes do happen but why wasn't I informed a few days earlier when we booked the transport (I was told this was when they realised they had a problem). If I had been informed we could have booked the first night at hotel of our choosing, not some less than adequate villa that Maca had chosen for us that was miles from nowhere and completely unsuitable.

They were generous in compensation including free massages, coffee, airport transfers and a free day trip to the Rock Bar. However I couldn't help think this might have all been a planned mistake through over booking the resort on purpose. As such I couldn't recommend Maca to anyone. I've been travelling the world over for many years to hotels and villas and not once have I ever had this experience. If I was to rate the villa's alone on this experience it would be lucky to make one star.

If you put aside the major booking problem then here is my view on the villas.

We stayed in a one bedroom villa. I was very private with a nice sized pool, day bed, small deck and indoors there is a lounge/ dining area, bedroom and very large bath room. Overall first impressions are good but after a few days you notice the vila is in need of some maintenance. When I walked on the deck nails kept popping out, one of our outdoor deck chairs broke when sat on, the wooden furniture and deck had not been oiled or maintained - so everything was starting to show its age. Not huge issues but if this property is going to remain popular they need to pay more attention to maintenance.

The service overall was very friendly and helpful - and the breakfast which you can have in your villa was very good.

Overall, when you separate out the booking issue I'd give this villa three stars. Could have been four with better maintenance of the villa.

Can't recommend.

Room Tip: Request a villa towards the middle or back so you avoid the road noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John A
Yoga I, General Manager at Maca Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Mr. John A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at Maca Villas on October last year. We always strive to deliver the best levels of service to our guests and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to do so. This is certainly not the experience we want our valued guests to have while booked at our property. However, rest assured relocating guest is a last resource and not a common practice at Maca.
As General Manager, I have met you personally at the Airport, apology extended, explained the cause of the discrepancy and escorted you to our sister property at Umalas, which is 1.5 km away from Maca for one night.
As I explained to you and your travel agent, this error was subsequently not recognized upon making the reservation and just discovered on the day of your arrival. A system error has caused the discrepancy and this issue has been investigated and resolved by our IT Team to ensure such an incident does not reoccur in the future.
Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for this lapse in what should be a fundamental aspect of our service and for any disappointment that this may have caused. Let me assure you that these incidents do not reflect the standards we strive to maintain at Maca.
It is through valuable feedback such as yours that enable us to constantly monitor and improve our operation. I have noted your comments regarding the needs of maintenance of some area and have certainly prompted our team to revisit these areas procedurally to ensure that our practices are as sound as possible.
Thank you for your positive comments regarding Maca Team as well as the In Villa Breakfast service. We receive many positive comments about our Service and I am happy to hear that you felt likewise.
I trust that you will not judge us on this one experience and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Maca Villas & Spa Bali in the near future, so that we may have the chance to show you true Maca hospitality.

With very best regards from all the Team at Maca
Yoga Iswara

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Maca Villas & Spa was an amazing place to stay in Seminyak. It's tucked away in a little street but it is still within walking distance to the main roads. Although taxis to and from the villa were inexpensive, the villa also offers a shuttle service within Seminyak which was unbelievably helpful!
Our room looked exactly like it does in the photos - beautiful, tranquil and clean. Service was top notch.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here in December for 7 nights with 2 other girlfriends in a 2-bedroom deluxe pool villa. Entire experience was fantastic beginning with the seamless reservation process over email. Being a travel agent (my friends are not agents), I had a wide range of properties to choose from but am so thankful we booked Maca for our first trip to Bali.

We organised an airport pickup direct with Maca, and Nyoman the driver was ready and waiting upon our arrival, and had a lovely chat to us on the drive to Seminyak. We were greeted with delicious mocktails upon arrival and were then taken to our villa by one of the butlers.

We were all amazed when we walked into our beautiful villa, it looked exactly like (if not better than) the photos on the website. Beautiful spacious bathrooms with rainfall showers and the living area was great too. Although the weather was overcast during our stay, many a morning was spent sunbaking on the lounges by our private pool, which was just the right size. Massive king-sized beds, we could fit all 3 of us girls onto the one bed and still had heaps of room! The Ipod dock/speakers were a great idea, enabling us to have the tunes "pumping" whilst we were sunbaking or getting ready to head out.

When we arrived we were informed that a shuttle drop-off service operated 3 times a day, however each time (at least twice per day) that we were wanting to go somewhere from the hotel, the front office staff would call the resort car for us and take us to wherever (within Seminyak/Legian) we wanted to go, which was fantastic!

Each time we returned to our villa in the afternoon and after dinner the housekeepers had been in and performed an excellent job cleaning the villa and giving turndown service. All the other staff were so friendly as well, each one we encountered would stop what they were doing and greet us with a warm smile and a hello.

We opted to take our included breakfast in our villa each morning, and this was one of the highlights of the stay. So much to choose from and mid-trip we thought we would ask if they happened to have any vegemite to put on our toast - low and behold the next morning they delivered a brand new, unopened FULL JAR of Vegemite for us!

We had a 10.30pm flight home on our final day, and reception was kind enough to extend our checkout until 1pm (as they had another booking arriving that night), and then when we returned to the villa just before 6pm for our departure transfer,they were kind enough to let us use the spa area to each shower and change into fresh clothes - this really just capped off an absolutely wonderful experience at Maca!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BreannaRenee
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We loved staying at the Maca Villas. We appreciated being away from the busy central Seminyak area and transport wasn't an issue as we used the villa shuttle and taxis to get around.
We were very impressed by the design of the villas and the beautiful garden areas.

Mase Restaurant and Ippolito were great. You won't regret staying at Maca and don't be concerned that it is not in the 'central' Seminyak area.

Staff were friendly and professional. Special thanks to the Mase staff for the great service.

Room Tip: We liked our room towards the front of the complex. Nice fish pond just outside the front entrance.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank amitche182
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This villa is the perfect place for a romantic getaway for any couple as it is serene and very private. The staff were always helpful and professional in their delivery. Regardless of the time, any staff member of Maca Villa we walked pass will greet us with smiles and look truly happy to have us in their premises! We felt very welcome there! The MASE's dessert and coffee are to die for! The masseuses at the Spa were good as well and we recommend going for the coconut almond scrub.

We would like to thank Yunitha for the seamless reservation procedures and the staff for the awesome and wonderful stay. We really miss our stay in your villa! Keep it up!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple