“Bali-Mex gone wrong”

Ranked #59 of 519 Restaurants in Seminyak
Price range: US$1 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Inspired Mexican Cuisine Prepared with Integrity. A small, authentic, roadside-style "taqueria" like in Tijuana or Cabo, we are Seminyak's only American owned, and authentic taco cafe featuring deluxe roadside-style tacos. Renowned for our huge variety of salsas and tortillas made fresh from scratch every few hours, we are the Home of the Original Babi Guling Taco.
Seminyak, Indonesia
“Bali-Mex gone wrong”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

As a local, I ate at this Tex-Mex restaurant last weed with my wife and kids. To put things into perspective, I have spent a lot of time in Mexico, so figure I am relatively expertise in the cuisine. I have also lived in Los Angeles, so am very familiar with Tex-Mex style, or in this case, Bali-Mex. Their babi guling tacos and beef rendang tacos would make the latter a more suitable description.

Having eaten at most other Mexican restaurant in the area (Motel Mexicola, Taco Local, Lacalaca and Taco Casa), this one is by far the worst. Their tacos are soggy piles of inedible shlop. The base falls apart and cannot be handled. Rice is spread over the taco, which makes it more like a small inedible burrito. The meat tasted old. The margarita came direct from a pre-mix bottle.

If you're looking for an authentic and delicious taco, I strongly recommend Taco Local in Petitenget. The cornitas and pastor tacos are sublime. The owner of Taco Local has an eclectic Asian tapas-type of place upstairs which is brilliant.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank David R

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newport Beach, California
“Mediocre”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Was here last week for Cinco De Mayo. Place is cute and inviting and we had to eat Mexican because it was Cinco De Mayo. I had the Babi Guling Tacos, husband had Babi Guling Burrito, & my Mom had a Chicken Burrito. I liked the salsas they provided me, pretty tasty, but the tacos fell short. My expectations were low because I'm in Bali not L.A., but I really didn't like the tortillas. I just ate the inside of my tacos because the tortillas tasted weird. One of my tacos was mostly fat rather than meat. So overall an average meal. Oh another thing, I had a margarita. It was sooooo sour, I could barely drink it.

• Visited May 2014
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We're sorry to hear you were not thrilled. I can understand that you might not like the tortillas; they are not machine made and frozen, as almost all others are. You would be unfamiliar with our tortilla taste because our corn tortillas are completely authentic, hand made made using the authentic and traditional Mayan techniques rarely used outside the deep interior of Mexico. Not even Tiajuana, Cabo San Lucas, or especially Mexico City use these primitive methods. But we do, and for good reason. We insist on giving our guests the best possible meal at the best price. Period.

Virtually all the other tortillas you've ever tasted in North America and Mexico are made with Maseca, a commercial flour made from genetically engineered corn. The corn tortillas imported to Bali from Australia are useless and inedible, by our standards. We know, because we've bought them.

At Taco Beach, we grind our own local Balinese corn, prepare it in the primitive Mayan ways, because we are committed to authenticity. 99.99% of our guests have never had a true Mayan style tortilla, unless you have traveled deep into the heart of old Mexico. The distinct aroma, the enhanced taste, the fragrance, and nutritional value is completely different to what have grown accustomed and think of as "the proper tortilla flavor." Sorry. But the enhanced B-vitamin, and soluble niacin content of our tortillas will make you happy. Please google "nixtamilization," for a proper understanding of our unique, fresh made daily corn tortillas.

Glad you liked our salsas. Usually we have 6 different seasonal salsas every day. They are made fresh, 4 or 5 times per day, and your tortillas are hand-pressed as your order. All other tortillas outside of Mexico are machine made, frozen, etc. Here, nothing is more than hours old.

About our Babi Guling Taco: Babi Guling is considered the epitome, the absolute height of Balinese culinary tradition. But it's made from suckling pig, which is chosen for its thick fat. Fans of Babi Guling are devoted to its thick, amazing, delectable hunks of fat - its considered part of its appeal, aside from the nearly 20 spices we use to make it. We greatly minimize the fat content considerably just for people like you, but we know can't please everybody. No worries. I would suggest you not order Babi Guling, for that reason, anywhere. You will not like it. The fat and oil content is many times what we serve our guests.

The above notwithstanding, thanks for comments and I shall take them on board. I will remind the staff to be careful about the fat content, I will ask them to quality check the tortillas, and see why your margarita was sour. If you have the chance, please come back. Let me know in advance by emailing a reservation to me at: info@tacobeachgrill.com . I will personally guarantee your satisfaction. Fair enough?

Wishing you the best, Bob, Director of Taco Technology, Taco Beach Grill - Home of the Babi Guling Taco!!!
Sydney, Australia
“Great food, cool atmosphere, friendly staff”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We went here for dinner and it absolutely exceeded our expectations!
This cool little restaurant has authentic decor and great music.
The staff were warm and friendly and the food delicious!!
We ordered 2 entrees between 3 of us and a main each at $5 each - we struggled to finish our plates, but kept trying because the food was great. Met the owner who was lovely and made you feel like a welcome guest in his home.
Will definitely be back!!

1 Thank Ceilidh C
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your five-star comments! We're delighted you were so happy and full from your meal with us. We believe that if we over-deliver, undercharge, give you the freshest, most authentic and flavorsome Mexican in Bali, our doors will stay open. We look forward to your return.

Wishing you an equally five star day in every way!

Warm regards, Bob N., Director of Taco Technology, Taco Beach Grill- Home of the Babi Guling Taco!
Gold Coast
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Visited in May 2014. We had the Atomic Poppers and the KFC style wings as starters. We both had a burrito as mains and if course a few ice cold Bintangs. Make this small unassuming restaurant a must visit when you are in Bali!

2 Thank vanjola
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
We're delighted you had a fantastic time with us, and were so kind as to write five star review. We hope you can try our new flash-fried avocado fries with Habenero ketchup next time!

By the way, next time you order burritos, guests are offered a choice of two free side orders to accompany your burrito....guests now are able to choose two of following three side orders at no charge: 1) refried beans 2) red Mexican rice and 3) Chilled Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Creme! Come back again and in the meantime, have a five star day! Rgds, Bob, Director of Taco Technology - Home of the Babi Guling Taco.
Sydney, Australia
“Great burrito place”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great spot for a mexican meal. The wifi seems a bit hit and miss as it wasn't working the first time I visited. I am vegetarian and there were plenty of options for me, including a tofu chorizo "sausage" burrito, which was delicious. I would have liked to return to try the tempeh tacos. Excellent value, 70,000 IDR for a burrito and sides and diet coke is half what Id pay at home for something not as yummy. Definitely recommend. I visited twice at lunch and had no issue getting a spot but as its a small place it does get very busy in the evenings.

• Visited April 2014