“Blerg”

Ranked #77 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
Melbourne, Australia
“Blerg”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

The location of this hotel is fantastic! It's about a block from the beach and only steps away from restaurants, bars, and shops. The rooms are mostly clean and the air con is quiet. Those are the only positive aspects of this hotel. If you have any sense of claustrophobia, do not stay here. The room we had reminded me much of a jail cell as we had a room where we couldn't see outside of the window because it was up towards the ceiling. It seems like people tend to really like this place, but I'm pretty sure there are better places for the amount of money you pay to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

The hotel was pretty good and suffice for me and my friend qho were traveling to bali for only 3 nights. Basically perfect for a place to sleep and chill and rest. Though the room didn't really have a windor, it had everything one needs like hot water and a tv and ac.
There was only one power plug to charge our phones so we had to take turns.
Also hot water to make coffee or instant noodles had to be purchased at 6, 000 Rupiah. I thought that was weird.

Other then that the area was perfect walking distance from the beach and the ever-fun La Plancha and accessible to taxis and food and a nearby mart and night clubs. The spa was really good too and not expensive.

Dont forget to check traffic time table before leaving the hotel to get to the airport.

It was an overall good holiday. Would go back again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank dushku87
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 15 April 2013

It's a nice and clean budget hotel, with comfortable bed and nice shower. Too bad they didn't serve breakfast (I stayed at the much cheaper budget hotel that still provides breakfast). However, I appreciate their cleanliness, air-conditioned rooms, hot shower and room service. Things cannot be guaranteed in other budget hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wulan_R
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Great budget hotel! Friendly and helpful staff, clean/ modern rooms plus in walking distance to the beach plus an array of shops and bars. The best bars and clubs are a taxi ride away (10 mins roughly) and include many great reggae bars and live bands!

• Stayed April 2013
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I am not sure why this hotel received the tripadvisor award 2013 as for our experience it was a horrid and unpleasant experience.

Upon our arrival this hotel seemed quite decent but as soon as we stepped in our rooms we were welcomed by a strong scent of urine and dampness. However, we still decided to stay due to its good location. In addition to this we soon realized that the advertised wifi did NOT work at all. We complained straight away at the front desk but he was simply rude and unprofessional as well as uncaring and replied that "This was not his problem and the rooms were cheap and we should be happy with this".

We have been traveling for the past two months and always slept in ac rooms. Though when we woke up the next morning in Grandmas Hotel we were both sick. Sore throat, blocked nose and a very weasy chest developed over the time we stayed in this hotel. Now we are both on antibiotics and this can only be drawn back towards the hotelroom.

If we would not have payed in advance we would have NOT stayed for 5 days. However, as we were not able to claim the money back we were forced to stay. The little bugs in the bed left my boyfriends legs redspotted and itchy. You can NOT store any food in the hotelroom as it will be infested by tiny bugs.

To sum it up:

- NO wifi
- Bedbugs (!!!!)
- Ants all over the bathroom
- smelly toilets
- Damp rooms / dirty aircon
- Rude Staff
- and DO NOT eat in the restaurant directly next to the hotel as it is overpriced and the portions are of very poor quality.

One positive aspect was that the cleaning staff was very friendly and seemed very hard working. Though the rooms were bug filled it seems an infestation problem.

I cant stress enough of how many hotels and hostels we have stayed in over the past period of four months for half the price but GRANDMAS HOTEL has been the worst and I would NOT recommend this hotel as I can still feel the tiny bugs wondering over my arms and legs.

Find somewhere better!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank lastminaroundworld
Balikpapan, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I arrived one night early for a conference I was attending in Bali and stayed here for one night. Check in was fast and efficient. The room was basic but clean and comfortable. Staff was polite and helpful. I'm not sure I would stay with the family but if I was traveling alone or even with just my wife I think this place would be more than sufficient. There are plenty of restaurants etc within walking distance so there is no need for a taxi. This is nice as traffic can be a bit of a pain during high season. Some may find the hotel a bit loud since the halls are open air. I didn't have a problem sleeping though. I felt the place was good value for the price. I would stay again if I needed a place for a night or two.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Perth
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I spent one night at Grandmas Hotel in February. I booked as I ended up flying in to Bali a day earlier, due to the flights being considerably cheaper. I had already booked 5 nights at a Villa in Seminyak, so just wanted somewhere cheaper to spend the first night.

On the plus side to Grandmas Hotel, the staff were very nice and helpful. There was a small pool at the front, which was very refrshing to go for a dip in. There is a cafe attached, and the breakfast I chose (maple pancake) was nice and great value.

On the negative side, the room was tiny, but this was expected. However, I didn't find it to be very clean, particularly the bathroom. A lot of the silicone and grout in the bathroom had blackened, leaving it looking grotty. I didn't end up using the shower, deciding to wait until I checked in to my next hotel, because it was really dark and the grout looked mouldy.

Also, the bathroom had only a tinted sliding door, not offering a lot of privacy.

It seems at the front of the hotel there is a taxi racket going on. We went to get a taxi as a metered blue bird taxi had just pulled up. As we approached it another man, who had a transport car', opened the taxis door and exchanged heated words. He ended up thumping on the top of the taxi and trying to kick it as it drove away. It was really intimidating. The security at the front asked us where we were going, and loaded our luggage into the aggressive man's car, despite me saying I didn't want to travel with him. In the end, we relented and got in the taxi. The driver was okay, however, I didn't like that I couldn't catch a metered taxi fom Grandma's Hotel (and we didn't want to drag our luggage down the uneven street to try and flag one down).

It's an okay hotel for a short stay, but I wouldn't recommend it as your primary hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple