“Time to honestly balance the reviews”
Review of Balcony Living

Balcony Living
Ranked #153 of 415 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Perth, Australia
“Time to honestly balance the reviews”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My Girlfriend and I just got back from our two week stay at balcony apartments.

First ill list the positives: Neat clean rooms with lots of space, great beds and air con up and down stairs. Very friendly and helpful staff where they can be. (English is very poor) This place has positive reviews but I wish someone had written what I am about to so I could have spent my money somewhere far far better.

Now I am from Australia and am not that picky so this is just an honest recount of what happened.
The bad: The owner decided to starting digging a water bore outside our room at 8am on a Sunday morning. Work on this very messy, muddy and noisy job continued for a week untill we left. The digging of the bore was very ignorant in my opinion as they could have started any other time and any other day but they do it sunday morning after we had been out all night and continue each morning at the same time.

The (air con/whatever machine it was) unit on the roof above our apartment was so noisy as it vibrated each night I had to sleep with ear plugs the entire trip and my girfriend couldnt sleep untill it cycled off. The unit ran even if our aircon was off as well. She lost alot of sleep over the trip and it greatly lessened the quality of her experience there.

Every time I left the room to go to the shops or even out for 30 minutes to an hour the staff would go in my room and turn the aircon off. The rooms heat up very fast and I just found it a joke that they felt the need to keep sneaking in to turn it off. It became a game after a while where I would hide the remote for the aircon before I left. A bit sad for a "luxury" establishment.

During the last week they kept turning the water off up to four times a day. ANY time of the day. I have no idea why, they wouldnt tell me. No it wasnt to do with the bore they were digging. Sometimes it would be off for an hour. Imagine trying to go to the toilet, then flush it, then use the sprayer to clean yourself because the toilet paper ran out...... then you realise the waters off again. Exactly.

Also the rain showers are rubbish. Hardly any water comes out of them, take my word for it, the novelty wears off real fast, and the bathrooms flood every time, you have to stagger multiple peoples showers. ( The drain didnt work)

The other major problem isnt the fault of the owner but it needs to be meantioned. The place is in a new area (read farms and heaps of mosquitos) and there are multiple constructions going on around it and will be going on for some time. Also the road outside is dirt and requires repair every third day. No exaggeration. Jack hammer at 7 am, yes they do! Don't go there hoping to go out out night then sleep till 11am because you wont.

Don't use the safe in the room, it is bolted to a wooden shelf in the wardrobe. You can undo the nuts from the underside of the shelf with your fingers. READ THIS IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY THERE because id hate to see someone lose all their stuff. We stored our stuff in the deposit box at the mutiara down the road. My 3 thousand au cash stayed very safe. (except from me) haha

I didnt make any complaints at the time of the trip to the owner. She turned up in a new black BMW that she drives in from day to day and apologised to myself and my girlfriend without any prompting as we left for the airport and handed my girlfriend a recyclable shopping bag and me a pencil then apologzed again for digging a well outside our room for half our trip. Yes a shopping bag and a pencil, I dont get it either.

I was nothing but impressed with the rest of bali and the people there, I also spent alot of time at our friends accomodation at the Mutiara down the road. I would stay there next time without a doubt, they went above and beyond balcony for the same price. ( they organised all our tours and scooters for free that we booked online and let us use a safelty box for free even though we werent staying there .

Bali was fantastic and Ill be going back asap. The countryside and people are fantastic.

Room Tip: The balconys and views are useless unless you are in one of the two apartments in front of the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Debby S, Manager at Balcony Living, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Mrs/mr.

Thank you for taking time to write your honest review on trip advisor.
We do apologize for the inconvinience during your stay at balcony living.
Due the water supply is an urgent matter we cant not avoid or otherwise we cant have the water at all :(
We understand for not able to meet yhe manager not owner personally and talk about this matter.
We can offfer a nice place for you or even better to return your inconvinience.
And the black BMW is belong to the guest staying there.

Once again thanks for advise for improvement about pur english staff.
Since we are one year running need s more improvement.

Wish you have agreat day, and wish to meet you in the future.

Manager and management.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Me and my gildfriend have spent a full month at the end of 2013 in Bali and we have stayed at Balcony Living in Seminyak. Wow ! what a great place ! we are frequent flyer and we have stayed at many hotels, but this is in our top 3 places. First, the place is brand new and the design is contemporary. It has 2 floors, one for the living and cuisine and the top floor with the bedroom. So it is big. There are only 5 apartments with one pool. Great ! But let me tell you, the service was awesome. The staff is top notch and they are always ready to help you. And it is really near the best restaurants street in Seminyak but far enough away to be calm. We have made friends there and we will surely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephaneGomoto
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Went traveling with 3 other female mates. One of the nicest places we stayed at.

Had beautiful welcoming with ice cold drinks and stunning smiling faces from the staff. Check in was easy and comfortable.

The apartment is stunning. There are five apartments, which share a pool. The place was lovely, quite and peaceful. The pool area is very clean and cosy.

The apartment had everything we needed. It was clean and modern. It had a lovely homely atmosphere aswell. Towels and robes were lovely and soft.

Breakfast was nice and simple. Was sent to the room whenever we wanted it.

Can not say enough great things about the staff. Super friendly, super efficient, super cute! These guys were truly lovely people. So helpful.

Location is nice. It's a quite area, but short taxi ride to centre of the happening place Kuta.
You must go to the beauty salon right next to the apartments, extremely cheap. Manicure fr £5, full body scrub for under a tenner. This place is the cheapest and the staff are really accommodating. Also try the chicken place, few steps for the apartments. Lovely food, especially the grilled chicken. Add some chips and a nice drink. Sorted!

Would defo recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LillyKarim
Reviewed 1 September 2012

whenever we decided for a quick escape from the bustling city life, we always come to Balcony Living for relief. it's the perfect getaway encompassing of a great location, light n airy, warm and friendly services by the staff and most of all, superb amenities just to lay back and relax.

this is definitely THE place for a marvellous getaway.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank kukuvei
Chicago
Reviewed 29 August 2012

we're celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary. the coziness of this place really suits its name "Balcony Living". service was one of the good points adding the value of this place. the room interior was modern minimalist with relaxing Bali style so you still feel like you are in Bali.
Overall we were satisfied with the service and definitely the go-to place if we have the chance to go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple