“This is 5 star”

Ranked #7 of 143 Hotels in Seminyak
Sydney Australia
“This is 5 star”
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Just got back from 4 nights at the Legian after spending 3 nights in Ubud.
Could not fault anything about the hotel.The room, pool, grounds, reataurant, bar, spa & above all the service were top notch.
Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
The location is excellent, right on the beach & within walking distance (or a short cab ride) to many restaurants, bars & shops.
Had dinner at the hotel one night (Wednesday night Bali Feast - very good) & also went to Sarong, Breeze at the Samaya & Kafe Warisan which were all excellent.Security has been beefed up everywhere after the Jakarta bombings so get used to having your bag searched.
The only downside (which is not really the fault of the hotel) is that
the surf appears quite polluted (but then so were the French riviera beaches) which is kind of a shame given that the beach is what started all this.I guess lots of tourists simply go in the pool.
Aussie Phil.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
london
Reviewed 10 August 2009

After travelling from the lights and sights of Hong Kong the Legian was a bit of a shock. Grey and Dull. But that was Balinese or was it just dull?
Our first room so smelly we had to wait to be moved to a second one, which was much better. The wardrobes had to be sprayed even in that one. Not a good start. We had requested a sea view room but ended up with a view of palm trees

Grounds are beautiful and very well kept. The beach beds were fabulous and usually free at the end of the day to watch the amazing sunsets. They were fantastic.

It was a wonderfully quiet resort where you could relax anywhere but it lacked atmosphere especially in the evenings

The downside while we were there was that a large family were staying prior to a wedding, which was taking place in another hotel.
They seconded the sun beds in the best spots all day even though they went out.

Sun beds for Mum and Dad, Baby and Nanny, Grandma and Granddad, Uncle and wife, Niece and Nephew, Great Grandma. And any friends that they were expecting to visit. It became their own private pool. Get the drift. No one in the hotel would do anything about it.

Breakfast was really good fresh strawberry waffles to die for.
Lunch was OK. Dinner disappointing and frugal very very expensive. We ate out and would recommend

The Living Room a walk away the ambience is sublime!

Ku Ad Ta the food was delicious, the service very helpful and friendly and the atmosphere beautiful. Great for a sunset drink
The open air Italian restaurant up the beach La Lucciola is just the best. The views are spectacular and the food good

We were shocked at the prices in Bali especially the wine.
A bottle of NZ Cloudy bay £60.00

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank LondonTravelnut
Frankfurt
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I have seen quiete a few (luxury) hotels in Bali. The Legian has the perfect combination of location, reasonable value for money, atmosphere and very friendly and well-trained stutt. If you do not want to have a good time in the middle of nowhere (like Bulgari, Amankila or Karma Kandara) but you are looking for some infrastructure, you should consider going here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Oslo
Reviewed 28 July 2009

When I think of one of the hotels that I have visited that I remember the most, it must be Legian!
The whole ambience of the place is so relaxing, the staff attentive and ever present, the location, the view...

Ok, the decor and interior is not that contemporary anymore, the rooms could indeed need a facelift. But this is not a drawback to this place, it is rather a surplus because it gives the hotel a casual luxurious feeling!

What makes it so special is the level of service, the small poems on your pillow every night, the way you are greeted in the morning. The pool concierge that brings you cold water, fresh towels and a snack, even before you have taught about it yourself. The breakfast staff remembers that you prefer a little milk and only one tea spoon of sugar in the coffee, and only a twist of lime in the water.....
You feel like royalty!

The location is unbeatable, right on the beach in Seminyak, secluded but close to Kuta, party and restaurants.
The breakfast was one of the best ever, with everything you can possibly think of, all fresh made. We also had dinner at the hotel one night, great seafood and new world wines. Truly memorable to dine right at the pool with the candles and lanterns hanging in the trees around you, the moon over the Indian Ocean and the waves rolling on the beach. Why was I there for business, and not romance?!?! :(

I had a 110 sqm suite with separate dining and living room, a small kitchenette, balcony with daybed, bedroom with a 4 poster bed and a huge bathroom. Again, the furniture and decor is not top notch and a little worn, but who cares at this place!

If you want nothing but the best, chose Legian!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank VikingVagabond
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2009

This was my 5th trip to Bali but the first time with kids. Our honeymoon 9 years earlier was at the Intercontinental Jimbaran Bay, but i rate this much higher. Bali changed a lot in 9 years and what astonished me was the change in Seminyak , now a truly cosmopolitan and upmarket part of Bali where we felt very relaxed and at home. I was very impressed - being away from the hustle and bustle of Kuta but close enough to zip in and out easily. This time we chose The Legian. Its appropriate they don’t call it a ‘hotel’ because it doesn’t feel like a hotel, since its smaller, quieter and more intimate than the big name hotel chains that have overflowing buffet and pool areas. Boutique hotel just about sums it up. We stayed in the 2 bedroom Seminyak Suite for 7 nights but at US$1500 per night it was not what I would call a ‘value for money’ holiday but that was not what were looking for then. In any case its hard to assess value for money really since its such a subjective issue. We didn't have a choice because we booked late and there was nothing else available and our flights were locked in, so were kind of forced to spend a lot of money for a priceless family holiday but I don’t regret it for a millisecond. There will be some who will refuse to pay this kind of money, but this hotel has something I never experienced at any other hotel and I have been lucky enough to have stayed at a few nice ones for both business and pleasure over a 15 year period of being able to afford to. So when I want to spend that sort of money, I would not hesitate and stay there again. I would advise anyone to try it out for a night or 2 and I guarantee you will more likely save up your money for next time !
The views from our room were just amazing, right out to sea and overlooking the pool. We had 2 butlers, they delivered breakfast to our room every day or we could eat it in the restaurant (alacarte), we had Moet champagne and yummy canapes delivered at 4pm every afternoon and 24 hour limousine service to anywhere as far as Kuta or Sanur. Our mini bar was stacked with all kinds of munchies, chocolates and drinks, both alcoholic and soft drinks and we could feast as much as we wanted for no extra charge – I ate too much! We had unlimited laundry service, they picked up our clothes in the morning and they were beautifully pressed and delivered to us that afternoon ; internet was included but I never felt the need to get online as this was a holiday and the last thing I wanted was to look at a computer. Even daily newspapers from our home country were delivered (printed off the internet in tabloid size) to our room by 9am each morning. There was actually nothing more we needed or wanted. All of these extra services were included as standard in the Seminyak Suite tariff so when you take it all into account you probably get a few hundred dollars worth of extras not added to your bill – the bottle of Moet alone would be US$100 in any other hotel. So when it came to check out time, the bill was only the nightly rate plus babysitting and a few pool snacks. I forgot to mention about their cocktail hour at the beach bar when all drinks and snacks were included !
The staff treated us like VIP’s and although there was no kids club, our 3 kids all under 10 enjoyed themselves in the pool - they still talk about the free ice creams.
What I loved about this hotel was the location for several reasons apart from proximity to shopping (my wifes passion) - there was a consistent surf break out the front which was never crowded and I surfed great waves on low tide every day (later I found it was called the “Kudeta left”), I didn’t need to go looking elsewhere, and it was located in between 2 of the best restaurants, nightspots in Bali, Kudeta and La Lucciola. We simply walked to most of our lunches and dinners.
The babysitting service provided by the hotel was a minor but contentious issue. At US$15 per hour, this might seem a small thing, but for the number of hours we used the babysitter (who was great), it added up. I didn’t realise until checkout that they actually charge US$5 per hour per child, but this was my fault because I didn’t read the fine print on the agreement I had signed. Once I realized this I did query them and they were nice enough to adjust the bill because usually the babysitter was only with our 3 year old when the older ones accompanied us elsewhere. It’s also worth noting that there isn’t really any organized kids activities except for fish feeding at the pond and some drawing activities in the afternoon, but the Manager told us they were thinking of increasing these activities.
The meals in the hotel were above average price and I cannot comment on the dinners because we never ate there except breakfast and the odd pool snack, but I have no complaints about any of the food we ate. I have to say the breakfasts were very very good . They also have an inhouse gym and spa, neither of which we indulged in.
The Legian certainly delivers on privacy. I would have our honeymoon all over again if I could at this hotel. The grounds are beautiful and spacious, the decor elegant, tasteful and minimalist, the atmosphere relaxed and quiet, right down to the gamelan musicians every afternoon, and the wonderful 2 tiered pool. I have to say the Seminyak Suite is by far the best resort accommodation I have ever stayed in, it was more like a house than an apartment with 2 massive balconies, huge en suite bathrooms, large living area and absolutely no details left to chance, like Ipods with great music selection and Bose docking stations. There was never a scramble for chairs around the pool, there were large daybeds overlooking the beach with huge umbrellas and I would simply relax and read my book there every day if not surfing– my favourite was a personal cabana further away from the pool near the bar. All in all, a blissfully relaxing holiday, and we arrived back home totally relaxed and rejuvenated. I would save up for this Hotel and splurge when we can another time - we will be back.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank yasumi4ever
Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2009

You know sometimes you go back to a place that you loved only to find it was not as good the second time?? Last year we spent a week at The Legian and came home raving - subsequently a few of our friends booked and we thought it was time to return ourselves. You hope things have not slipped and all the little things you loved are still in place. Delighted to say that it was still AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING.

Cannot fault one thing.

Our room was outstanding - the food was sublime and again the thing that keeps us coming back is the service. I believe the crew there should be a test case to all those in hospitality. From the drivers, reception, housekeeping, gardeners they are all wonderful. The Management Team were beyond ridiculous when it came to keeping the guests happy... a sentiment that was echoed around the pool with other guests.

We ate a lot at the resort (why wouldn't you) which was fantastic - great cocktails and lunches. Had the Seafood BBQ one evening - delightful. Breakfasts were great and I always looked forward to the little treat left each evening in your room - those brownies!!!!!

For what you experience, i believe it to be extremely good value.

WE were lucky enough to go up to the Sister Property THE CLUB in Ubud. Our next visit will include a few days at this exquisite resort. You feel like you are in Royalties Private Compound - very romantic and secluded with a wonderful atmosphere. Very serene.

Thanks to the team - please reserve our room for 2010.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissResort
sydney
Reviewed 26 June 2009

if understated elegance ,attention to detail , luxury , a serene peacful stay are your mantra - look no further - my stay at the legian was possibly one of the best ive experienced .
my suite ( 433 ) had amazing views , and the best terrace for relaxing - the bottle of champagne that appeared on the second night was excellent given the absurd cost of alcohol here .
now when can i get there again ......

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo