“Really lovely but looking a little dated”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #11 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband and I (in our late 30's) stayed here for a "kid-free" 3 nights in October. The service, as other reviewers have all mentioned, is amazing, from the VIP check-in at the airport (worth paying extra for) through to arrival and constant smiles and attention all through the stay. We stayed on a long weekend when the hotel was full but it still seemed very peaceful. We were disappointed however that as SLH members, an upgrade was not only unavailable but we were given a room as far away from the ocean as possible, facing the tennis court at the back of the property. The upside was it was quiet; but then most of the hotel is anyway.

The breakfast was not your standard buffet slop but beautiful meals cooked to order (basically anything your heart desires!) It was supremely relaxing to sit and watch the surf and eat my gorgeous eggs florentine! - one morning I was alone as my husband took a diving trip, and the staff couldn't do enough to make sure I was OK (at one stage I was being looked after by four of them!). We also had a dinner at Kura Kura and it was DELICIOUS, the best satay we've EVER had (and we live in Singapore!) and really incredible chicken tandoori.

The only downside I feel people need to be aware of is that this is one of the oldest hotels in the area, and it's starting to look like it. Reception doesn't have the "wow factor" of most of the Asian hotels I've visited. The gardens are beautiful as are the rooms inside (especially the bathroom!) but the paths and buildings are worn-looking grey stone. The pool area was particularly disappointing to me; a plain rectangular pool with faded sun umbrellas over the loungers. A little update wouldn't go astray (even a new set of umbrellas) just to give this beautiful place the edge it deserves and to justify the fairly hefty price tag. One final comment - there were a few kids around but not many; but there is no way I'd come here with my two young boys - they'd be bored silly!!

Overall it is lovely place for a relaxing holiday but if you are after new and modern I'd perhaps look elsewhere.

Room Tip: I'd splash out for an ocean view room but check you aren't directly facing the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank london1000
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to know that you found the quality of service, the cuisine, and the warm and friendly Balinese staff has met with your expectations.

I do apologise that due to high occupancy and the recent long weekend holiday, an upgrade was not available. I assure you that your stay is important to us as a valued SLH member. The 6 hectares The Oberoi, Bali sits upon is indeed the greenest part of beachfront left in Seminyak, Bali. I am glad that you enjoyed the peace and quiet amidst the garden setting at your room.

As you mention, The Oberoi is one of the most mature properties in Bali. The Oberoi opened in 1978, and was developed over the period of 1978-1986. If Indonesia had a historic register, The Oberoi, Bali would surely top the list for Bali landmarks. The style of architecture is intentionally Balinese. Although it may not have the "wow" factor that you have experienced at other (probably newer) resorts, the historical and cultural integrity of Bali's unique culture is what drives The Oberoi, Bali's design and decor.

Subtle developments and upgrades have taken place over the years however very carefully and with a mindful eye towards ensuring the Balinese flavour of this property is maintained. More are planned for the future to keep in step with international travellers needs and expectations.

I thank you for your comments on which visible areas you feel need attention.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to The Oberoi, Bali once again

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,717)

Reviewed 28 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for eight nights in September as part of our honeymoon and the experience was stunning. The beautiful breakfast, the immaculate rooms, the attention to detail in the bar, the stunning restaurant and service within are all superb. This hotel really does set the standard for five star accommodation and was a perfect location for a relaxing piece of Balinese hospitality. Thank you so much to all at the hotel for being so fabulous and making our honeymoon stay one that we will never forget.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CLund99
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your honeymoon visit and you found the whole experience was stunning. Indeed it is a joy for me to work with such a wonderful team of people here in Bali. I am happy to note that they looked after you well and left you with fond honeymoon memories.

Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to tone day welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali for your anniversary.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Staying in this hotel was an extraordinary experience. The staff is always friendly and will go out of their way to make ANYTHING happen for you. We felt incredibly pampered and as if serving our needs was truly the staff's pleasure. The concierge was available and very helpful making arrangements, even until 11PM at night. The hotel grounds are also spectacular with incredible beach views from the length of the hotel and the rooms are lovely. We went to see the other hotels in this price range in Seminyak and the Oberoi is hands down a more beautiful location. Breakfast at the cafe (included in our room rate) was sublime with incredible selection, service, and views to die for of the beautiful beach in front of the hotel. The grounds also include a beautiful pool and tennis court. The hotel is well located 100 meters from Ku De Ta (also highy recommended) and a very good selection of restaurants. Transportation to and from the airport was also included. This was an unforgettable hotel experience for our family of six including two teenagers and two grandparents. We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough!!!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Andrew S
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to know that the services, landscape, setting, and style of The Oberoi, Bali has met with your expectations of a Balinese holiday.

Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you and your family to The Oberoi, Bali in the near future.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

The hotel, service level, and staff are amazing!

The problem with the Oberoi is that it is between two streams of raw sewage coming onto the beach. The bad smell can cover the hotel's grounds and really ruins a morning breakfast overlooking the beach.

I would recommend the hotel only after the smell problem is fixed.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Dajabba
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you found the service levels, and the employees of The Oberoi, Bali have met with your expectations.

I appreciate your assessment of the natural waterways. On Seminyak beach. There are in fact, three such natural waterways, one of which flows along the the northern boundary of The Oberoi, Bali past a neighboring restaurant and one on the south. They are not sewers. Before reaching the ocean, the natural waterway to the north flows along Jalan Kayu Aya, also known as ‘Eat Street’ with many popular restaurants and shops.

Before these restaurants, boutiques, and galleries arrived, this area was full of verdant rice fields, and this waterway was crucial element to the eco-system of the rice paddies which once filled the landscape around The Oberoi, Bali. The beachfront where this water flows to the sea is also a holy place where one of the most solemn Balinese Hindu ceremonies can be witnessed; the last rites of passage, when ashes of loved ones are spread, at a place where the river meets the sea.

Religious leaders have also made remarks similar to yours. I assure that the problem does not belong to The Oberoi alone. As Bali's popularity for tourist visitors, and the economy grows, the infrastructure also is being upgraded to accommodate the increased levels of visitors. Rome wasn't built in a day!

You may have noticed some civil constructions work on going along the famous "Eat Street" on your recent visit. The Government is currently in the process of installing pipework and a water treatment system which will only allow clean treated water to outflow to the sea. This project is planned to be finished in the first quarter of 2013.

Thank you for staying with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Reviewed 19 October 2012

Stayed here for a week as part of our honeymoon and all I can as is wow. The staff are unbelievable and the grounds are stunning. This is by far the best hotel we have ever, and probably will ever, stay in.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mynameisben1984
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your honeymoon and that the magic ogf Bali and this historic resort in Seminyak has made you say "wow".

Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights in October. What a fantastic resort. The staff, like all the people we met in Bali, were incredibly friendly and always smiling. The food is fantastic, particularly the breakfasts! The rooms are large and extremely comfortable and we always felt like we were in our own little corner. The sunsets from the frangipani cafe were stunning. This resort had everything and thanks to all the staff for making our anniversary so special. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2012
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to know that you found the quality of our food particularly breakfast, warm and friendly Balinese staff, setting and style of the resort has met with your expectations and added to the enjoyment of your anniversary celebration.

Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Anyone that is critical of this hotel is mad!! Either that or they need to get a life!

The rooms, grounds, views and facilities are outstanding.

The staff are polite, friendly, very professional, always smile and go out of there way to assist.

The hotel is a little paradise away from the hustle and bustle of Seminyak itself.

The restaurants are outstanding although a little expensive....but then you pay for the quality, the views and the service.

We had an amazing sea view and absolutely loved it, would certainly recommend this.

If we didn't live so far away (Scotland) we would most certainly return year after year.

Thanks to the Oberoi for making our stay perfect......we couldn't have asked for more.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 241.....great view, and down at the far end of the gardens so nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to know that you found the warm and friendly Balinese staff, setting and style of the resort and food has met with your expectations. We wish you could return each year as well.

Thank you for staying with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of one day welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali and the island of the gods.