“Great hotel for the area perhaps the best?”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #14 of 149 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights recently.
Overall very nice but we preferred the Ayana Resort and Spa in Jimbaran where we stayed first.(Different areas, different experiences)
After having stayed in 15 hotels/villas in Bali now, The Oberoi ranks at the the top end of our preferences
However at over $400 a night without breakfast was it the worth the money?? My husband says it was not, me- I did not have an issue with the cost.
Service was pretty good but I expect that level of service from the Oberoi.
Breakfast was very nice and cost $53.00 for the 2 of us.
We experienced both restaurants and ate off the room service menu which we enjoyed and drank a few cocktails. Prices similar to Australia but probably slightly more but was not an issue as we expected these prices.
I would recommend the Oberoi most certainly.
Very limited numbers of Bintang singlets worn at this Hotel and guests were dignified and there for the peace and quiet and the upmarket expereince to be had at the Oberoi.
Quite luxurious and extremely accomodating to their guests
Lovely smiling and polite staff.
The General Manager John should be congratulated as should all of the staff employed at the Oberoi because it really was a very luxurious stay on a beautiful beach surrounded by beautiful gardens and surroundings.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank balichick47
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear balichick47,

I was delighted to read about your experience and thanks for sharing the comments from you and your husband. We do regular comparisons of prices with other hotels in here in Bali to make sure the items offered and prices are in line with similar category hotels on the island. I was amused by your 'Bintang singlet' comment and happy to know that you enjoyed the environment and 'mood' here at The Oberoi.

Thank you for your recognition of my team here. We all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali again.

John W. Halpin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,749)

Reviewed 31 March 2013

When you go to a oberoi property certain things are a given: superior service, good ambience & rooms that are luxurious if not opulent. This has been my experience with them in the last few times I stayed with them. I also got a strong reco for Oberoi Bali from a senior oberoi person. So settled on it. Trip/stay was with its hit and misses.
Hits:
upgrade to a room with the pool. Cool!
Really courteous / ever smiling staff.
Mistakes made were corrected with profound apologies.
Concierge got us an awesome table at La Luciolla at short notice. The view at dinner because of this was breathtaking.
Close to shopping at Semaniyak.
Misses:
Room was unimaginatively designed, for a 700$ per night room, we struggled to see the wow in the room.
There were 3 errors (corrected) while delivering in room dining , two too many for a high end property.
There was a sewer type liquid flowing behind the hotel (beach) , took out the charm of the beach.
There was no kids club , although the website said there was one! Unacceptable mistake for a chain like oberoi.

Overall I can't complain but... I still did not leave with a feeling that I had stayed at a premium / premier property.
Although did not regret the stay still thought on the way back ... May be should have picked the Banyan Tree.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bharath S

Dear Barath S,

Thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali. We are delighted to know that you were happy to receive an upgrade to a Villa with a private swimming pool and that the service you received from our concierge and other service team members was courteous and genuine.

On the contrary I was sorry to read that you encountered errors made by the Room Service team while delivering food orders to you and your family. I sincerely apologise for errors made.

The Oberoi, Bali is decidedly the most authentic Balinese Hotel in the area. The resort sits upon the most historic piece of beachfront land in Seminyak with 500 metres of frontage on 15 acres with all low rise thatched roof stone buildings. I am sorry to know that you found the design of them "unimaginative".

On both sides of The Oberoi, Bali there are two rivers. These rivers were once part of Bali's unique 'subak' rice field irrigation systems. Over the years with development in the area and fewer rice fields, the water flowing from there is from a handful of unseen rice fields still dotted about the area, and nearby homes still using the subak system. I assure you and all TripAdvisor readers that The Oberoi, Bali treats all of waste water and makes sure that there is no waste water from The Oberoi entering the sea.

Our web site features an Activities section which explains some suitable activities for children along with the applicable charges. We do not advertise a 'Kids Club' at all.

We appreciate your frank and honest feedback about your experience. I am sorry that it was not all that you had hoped it would be.

Sincere regards,

Reviewed 30 March 2013

My wife and I visited this property 3rd time. We absolutely loved it especially the beautiful beach, great food, and an outstanding service. The villas are beautifully done, and very quiet. Drinks at the bar on the beach is a perfect place to enjoy the sunset.

You can't find a better location than this. It is only 5 minutes walk to Ku De Ta restaurant, and within walking distance to other Semanyak rstaurants and boutique shops. Their new General Manager, John Halpin is very customer-oriented and pays attention to every detail.

This was the 9th Oberoi property we have stayed at. We must say that we never have been disappointed with their consistent and high quality service and food.

Room Tip: Go for the villas preferably with ocean front.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Anandatraveller,

Thank you very much for your post about your experience at The Oberoi, Bali on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to note that you again found the services, environment, style, setting and beachfront location of The Oberoi, Bali has met your expectations. I truly appreciate your recognition of the staff who allow me to work alongside of them to look after all of our guests.

Thank you for having again stayed with us, and we all look forward to another opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

My partner and I just left the oberoi yesterday afternoon after staying 7 nights for my birthday. we moved on to another hotel to experience ubud as well as seminyak and oh do we wish we had stayed at the oberoi. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this hotel and its amazing staff to do it justice. The ambience, location, facilities and service at this hotel are the best I have seen and will ever see I am sure. We stayed in a garden view lanai which was beautiful, clean, excellent wifi reception and about 20 metres to the beach. The hotel is quite expansive and I believe the beach frontage of the hotel is around 500 metres. The pool looks out to the ocean and the service around the pool is amazing. The restaurant staff were so lovely, attentive and gentle. I was lucky enough to spend my birthday (2 days ago) at the oberoi where I was surprised with the staff making me a special hat and all joining in to sing happy birthday and present me with a gorgeous cake. The food was amazing and there is a huge menu to suit all. We will definitely be back and will tell everyone we know back in Australia to stay at this hotel. Make sure you visit Ku de ta right next door for cocktails and dinner as well to watch the sunset as its also amazing and the view is spectacular.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to note that you found the services, environment, style, and setting of The Oberoi, Bali met with your expectations. I am happy to know that you celebrated your birthday with us and that the team has provided nice Balinese Birthday memories for you. I sincerely appreciate your recognition of the staff who looked after you while you here.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of one day welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali again.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

This was Our first trip to Bali and we went following recommendations from trip advisor. We were not disappointed the hotel is stunning and the staff and service was quite extraordinary something I have never experienced anywhere else. Travelling from the airport and arriving in the area known as Seminyak I was beginning to get a little concerned and was also surprised at the amount of security and care taken in entering the hotel driveway.
But when This was forgotten when we were welcomed by the staff and checked in, we were walked to our villa by a member of staff who related everything the hotel had to offer. Villa bedroom bathroom outstanding cleanliness wonderful attention . The setting of the hotel overlooks the Indian Ocean and the swimming pool surrounded by luxurious sunbeds is next to the beach itself
Wonderfully relaxing with the sound of breakers against the shore
My only concern is not the Hotel but the built up area of Seminyak itself It was described as having plenty of good restaurants shops and interesting nightlife I have to say we did not find any of this But just a mass of cheap Tourist shops and hawkers

The hotel is fantastic and if you do not feel like leaving the grounds you will have a great holiday

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to note that you found the services, environment, style, setting and beachfront location of The Oberoi, Bali met with your expectations. Seminyak has become more cosmopolitan lately. Most of the recommended restaurants are not easy to find and our concierge is always available to assist. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your experiences within the resort area with our half of a kilometre of beachfront and 15 acres of landscaped gardens.

Thank you for having stayed with us. We look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Our eight day stay in February was our second in seven months and as with our first visit the entire experience was sublime.

As other reviewers have mentioned the staff are amazing, the service attentive without being intrusive and the little touches really do make all the difference.
Every request we made of the front of house staff was dealt with efficiently and in a timely manner.

Whilst staying at The Oberoi do dine one evening at Kura Kura restaurant. The ambience, service and standard and quality of the food is excellent and stacks up against the more well known high end restaurants in the area such as Sarong and Metis.
Several small touches do deserve a special mention - our waiter, when pouring the wine for tasting swirled the glass as he poured it and at the end of the evening the chef moved around the tables chatting to the guests.

Another particularly noteworthy incident occurred one afternoon when a family with three young children (staying at the hotel) were being particularly loud and boisterous and disturbing the rest of the guests .
A member of staff at the pool approached one of the adults and asked, very politely, that they try and control the children -much appreciated by all!!!

The resort is indeed "old Bali" but in a very good way, it's proximity to both the beach and the main shopping strip on Seminyak are also big pluses.

Thanks again to all of the team at The Oberoi.

We look forward to returning very very soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelGeorge

Dear MelGeorge,

Thank you very much for your post on TripAdvisor about The Oberoi, Bali.

We are all very pleased that you have again enjoyed your stay with us. I am delighted to learn that the team in the restaurant and pool-side have looked after you well and tried their best to anticipate your needs while maintaining the ambience of the property.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

There really aren't enough platitudes for the Oberoi, Seminyak, Bali. To be cared for by a staff that practically reads your mind is almost other worldly. The gentle caress of this peaceful environment should be bottled and sold for millions, but then again, the experience here is priceless! Thank you to Jon Halpin for maintaining what we agree is the most Bali resort in Seminyak. What do we mean? You get the essence of Bali here. The physical plant reflects the unique architecture of Bali without modern embellishments that taint ones perspective of this ancient culture. Ou feel as though you have tripped into an ancient village, with all the emeritus of a modern hotel. But this is hardly a hotel environment. The grounds are maintained hourly with a delightful staff that always pauses to great you, should you care to meet their eyes. And please make that effort because there is nothing like a Bali smile and greeting. Please try to memorize the appropriate greetings for the different times of the day (Selemat Pagi is good morning) and you will be delighted with the gift of raised palms in a prayer gesture and a warm greeting back.
Honestly, this is a place like no other in a land like no other. Thank you to Wardana, Ardinata, Mei, and all of the staff at the wonderful Oberoi, Bali!!

Room Tip: We are currently in room 253 and it is lovely! Don't know how you could choose a bad room among...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear agabhumi,

Thank you very much for your kind comments on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to know that the services, environment, style, and setting of The Oberoi, Bali met with your expectations. I truly appreciate your recognition of the staff Wardana, Ardinata, Mei and the rest of the team. Indeed they are the heart and soul of this historic beachfront resort.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.