“Amazing paradise-like destination”

Ranked #10 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
Saint-sauveur-des-monts, Quebec, Canada
“Amazing paradise-like destination”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The service is beyond friendly. The location is amazing, by the beach and near a nice shops/restaurants street. The resort is well designed so you feel you are by yourself. I had the option with breakfast included and they served me on my terrace every morning. I was traveling alone and felt really safe. The spa setting is partly outside so you see the ponds while getting your massage!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear France C,

Thank you very much for posting your kind review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit to The Oberoi, Bali. I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed the services, warm Balinese staff, cuisine, landscape, setting, safety and style here at The Oberoi, Bali.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
manchester
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived, it was service, service and more service. This was our first time to Bali, first a 7 night stay at the Oberoi on Seminyak. Arrival was smooth and relaxing, welcome drink, cold towel and an upgrade to a sea view lanai...just didn't quite get a villa upgrade! We had read a few comments that rooms were dated...yes they are but only very very slightly. They simple,yet beautiful in design and to us really didn't look tired. The bathrooms was lovely, the bed so comfy and we were in the last lanai at the far end of the resort on the front by the beach. Not quite fully ocean facing but close enough. The staff at the oberoi are something else. Knew our names instantly, we were treated like part of the family. The pool is lovely, right facing the beach and you are well treated round the pool with just the small added touches that make all the difference, things like cold towels and as much bottled water free of charge, fruit skewers and ice sorbet in the afternoons. Total bliss. The afternoon tea was a really nice touch and relief from the sun, for me it could be improved by just being a bit more attentitive on service and quality of offering. I understand this is not a paid for service, but maybe serving rather than self serving along with the quality of cakes on offer, they were average and lacked a panache of 5-star quality (I would happily provide some recipes for suggestions!)....

We ate around a few times in the area as well as the hotel restaurant: Chandi (very good), cafe Bali (avoid like the plague), Metis (amazing but pricey experience). The hotel restaurant was of very high quality for dinner. Staff were attentive and always on hand to serve and please. The food as well on offer was very good to. The breakfasts in the morning were filling, a lovely location by the front looking out to sea and whatever you wanted or needed would be brought to you. We had breakfast included which was great.

It was very quiet mainly around the hotel and this was obviously due to the rainy season. Sometimes it lacked a bit of atmosphere say in the bar before heading for dinner, with a few other couples and having a drink and chat with them, a tiny and small niggle that could be altered with a cocktail happy hour or soemthing similar. It rained mainly in the afternoon and most times for a very sort time, usually when we were off to afternoon tea! On our final night we had cocktails and canapés with John (general manager) and some of the other guests which was a nice touch.

My only main 1 criticism came upon the price of drinks. Having stayed in many hotels around the globe, this was the first ever where I have experienced the in-room minibar to be cheaper than drinking at the hotel bar on core drinks like beer, coke soft drinks etc. We are not big drinkers, but drinking in the bar is more nice than your room! Same bottle of Bintang but cheaper in room than at the bar. I'm not sure how this works but I found it difficult to understand how this does and have never come across this. Maybe the bar was so quiet because everyone was drinking in there rooms!

A very small critic on what was a great first oberoi experience and I hope will not be our last, we would love to return and also experience other Oberoi's. I highly recommend staying at this hotel, you will recharge and relax!

For us, we had always wanted to stay in an oberoi and it lived up to our expectations, the staff make this hotel what it is. They are a credit to the hotel and I can't say enough good words about them

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear chrisgmooney,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

We are all delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit to The Oberoi, Bali I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed the services, warm Balinese staff, cuisine, landscape, setting, and style of the resort at The Oberoi, Bali. I was happy to note also the team provided you with the usual warm Balinese service and their attention to your comfort.

I appreciate your comments about Min-Bar pricing and your suggestions on areas such as afternoon tea, where we can tweak the service delivery and make it a better experience. The in-room Mini-Bars are for your convenience and we feel that a drink you serve to yourself in the privacy of your room should not be priced more than the one you are served in the bar complemented by snacks and entertainment. Far too many hotels fill the Mini-Bar with overpriced snacks and beverages which end not being consumed and eventually expire.

Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you to The Oberoi, Bali again one day.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Upon arriving we were welcomed by a team of friendly staff with a welcome drink. Then, it was the personal touch where we were attended by a staff who brought us to our chalet and showed us around the area. The fist chalet that they put us in was very far in and when we asked to have have a change, Ms Sini, the staff heard us well. She managed to get a room for us near to the pool with no complains at all. Everything in the room was very impressive. Just love it. The only disadvantage was the bed. The mattress was quite hard but it was not that bad. Maybe the management should look into it. The surrounding of the resort is so beautiful, the facade, the pool, the beach, the restaurants, the garden were just so breathtaking. The staff really did a good job in maintaining and upkeeping the hotel. They are good in remembering our faces, names and even our room number. During dinner at the Kura-Kura restaurant, the chef made an effort to come out and check with the patrons if we enjoyed our food.

We did not try the spa in the hotel. We initially wanted to but we found out there are lots of spas outside the hotel which are cheaper than what the hotel is charging. US$200 for a 2 hour spa is too much for us but I wish we find time to look at the spa area.

The resort is very well located in Seminyak area. A walking distance to any restaurants, shops and clubs. There is also a complimentary shuttle transport that brings guests to Legian, a 20 minutes drive from The Oberoi.

I will come back fro a 2nd visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear PusOmar,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit to The Oberoi, Bali. I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed the services, warm Balinese staff, breakfast, landscape, setting and style here at The Oberoi, Bali. I am sorry that the mattress was too hard. We do have a supply of spare mattresses and we would have happily changed the mattress to one which you found more comfortable.

I was sorry to read that you did not experience our spa as you found less expensive options outside. It is true that there are many spas in the Seminyak area. I would like to assure you the same attention and personal touch you experienced upon check in would also have been found at the spa. We regularly conduct surveys with spas in hotels of the same calibre as The Oberoi and we have found our prices to be lower than similar style hotels on Bali. You mention in your TripAdvisor comment that you will be back for a second visit. Please get in touch with me to organise an appropriate spa experience to see the difference, when you do return.

Thank you for staying with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed at three hotels on this holiday and the Oberoi was by far the best. It has an amazing setting and the staff were fantastic. It has a beautiful location and the the gardens are immaculately kept. I am not in to high rise hotel blocks but like the somewhere that has an atmosphere but not overly busy so this was perfect.

The only thing I would say is the food is very expensive which encouraged us to eat out most of our visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fiona B
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Fiona B,

I appreciate your comments about food pricing. Our executive Chef works with local suppliers and importers to guarantee that The Oberoi Bali is only using the best quality fruits, vegetables, meats, poultry and seafood available on the island. Not compromising on quality does come at a premium and our prices are reflective of the quality of the cuisine we serve.

Melbourne
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I know this has been said a hundred times but the Oberoi truly is an Oasis of tranquility in the heart of busy Seminyak. Our stay was fantastic. The service is friendly, unobtrusive and second to none. Breakfast each day was awesome and the setting is amazing. The lush and expansive grounds/gardens are stunning. It is hard to believe you are in the middle of Seminyak! My only complaint would be that the villas are a bit dated.. The service and setting more than makes up for it and the villas are immaculately clean however they are certainly not up to the standard of most 5 star resorts. Despite this, I would definitely recommend the Oberoi Bali for both families and couples and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank James S
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear James S,

The Oberoi Bali is indeed the Grand Dame of Bali resorts, and heralded as the most classically Balinese resort on the island. The Oberoi, Bali is decidedly authentically Balinese. I am sorry you felt the rooms to feel "dated". I appreciate your frank and honest feedback about your experience. Guest comments and suggestions are always considered in reviewing, analysing, and retraining in areas when and if required.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

An oasis of peace & calm (not common these days in Seminyak) in beautiful surroundings

The staff are wonderful - always there when you want them and almost invisible when you don't

The apparently effortless efficiency and housekeeping must take enormous efforts - maintaining perfection in the tropics and right on the beach is a real challenge

It is not cheap but you get what you pay for here - one of the best hotels in the world without a doubt

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear robw48,

I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay. Thank you for recognising the efforts of the housekeeping and maintenance team who lovingly take care of the resort.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and has stunning views out to the sea. It is an oasis in the middle of bustling Seminyak. The food is excellent and the service in the restaurants very good.

There were some disappointing aspects which it would be good to see improve. The rooms are very old and tired. Whilst the hotel has clearly worked hard to keep them maintained and clean they are still poor quality for the amount you pay. The service is good but not always as thoughtful as it could be. Having arrived off a very long flight we were given an introduction to our room lasting 20 minutes. I had politely asked if we could be left to settle in and get some rest but this was ignored as we were shown how to use each light switch. Whilst this was very thorough, it was not very sensitive. I got proposed to my girlfriend whilst having a private dinner at the hotel. The private dinner was fantastic however our waiter just asked why I had been on one knee. When we explained, he just laughed. I was not looking for anything from the hotel but that response was not impressive.

With a little work this could be a great hotel, but it isn't at the moment.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank B431508
Dear B431508,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am very sorry to learn that you did not like the room assigned to you. The Oberoi Bali is deemed the Grand Dame of Bali resorts and heralded as the most classically Balinese hotel on the island. The Oberoi, Bali is decidedly an authentic Balinese Resort. The Oberoi, Bali is set upon the most historic piece of beachfront land in Seminyak with 500 metres of frontage on 15 acres with all low rise thatched roof stone buildings. Many of the temples and shrines on the site pre-date the hotel.

I appreciate your comments and feedback about the tour of the room upon check in which you found to be too slow. I apologise for any inconvenience caused. This is a global standard in all of The Oberoi hotels worldwide to ensure al the hotel facilities are explained so that guests may get the most out of their stay. All guest comments and feedback seriously and ensure concerned team members are retrained and services improved whenever possible to improve our overall guest experience.

Congratulations on your recent marriage proposal. I would have liked nothing more than to congratulate you both. The waiter was un-knowledgable of the western tradition of a man getting on bended knee to propose marriage and untrained on what he should do. I am sorry about this. In Bali no such tradition is in place and your waiter was unaware of the customary response. Thank you for providing constructive feedback on an area where training is lacking. I am sorry that we have disappointed you. I assure you that it is not the intention of anyone working at The Oberoi, Bali to disappoint our guests, ever.

I appreciate your frank and honest feedback about your experience.