“Beautiful location, fantastic service”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful location, fantastic service”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed at the Oberoi Amarvillas in Agra and Udaivillas in Udaipur in the past which have a rep as being amongst the best hotels in the world, I liked Oberoi Bali even better. The sprawling, lush grounds which abut the ocean are beautifully landscaped and understated and really make this property special. My wife and I stayed in an ocean view villa which was terrific and private. The kids stayed in a "regular" room which also had an equally great view and was tastefully appointed. In spite of the fact that one feels a million miles from town you are a 15 minute walk from the center of Seminyak. The staff uniformly were excellent,quick with a smile and hello. Then again I think the Balinese people ,in general, are the most genuinely happy I have come across in my travels. Really a special place.

Room Tip: For a romantic getaway a splurge to a ocean view villa definitely worth it with a beautiful private...
2 Thank jayraka
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear jayraka,

Thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you and your family have enjoyed your visit here and that the services, gardens, accommodation, and location have all been enjoyed by you.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is a world-class hotel. Personal, friendly and attentive service from the minute you arrive until the time you leave. The gardens are beautiful and beautifully maintained, the Villas are beautifully appointed and very comfortable.

2 Thank CTann
Dear CTann,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit here and that the services, quality of accommodation, and location have been enjoyed by you.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Everything about our stay here was top notch. The staff could not have been more attentive or friendly. The food is wonderful and the facilities are excellent. The pool is as refreshing as I've come across. The gym is nice but a bit small. My only negative (and this is a rampant problem in Bali at christmas time) is that there is a lot of trash on the beach. The staff does a great job cleaning it up but the tides at tourist season this year have wreaked havoc on the beach. A few days later, things are looking much better but it's worth noting.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank WorldTravellingWorm
Dear WorldTravellingWorm,

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your visit to The Oberoi, Bali that the services, quality of accommodation, cuisine, and location have been enjoyed by you.

It is a shame that bad weather had caused lots of debris from the ocean to wash ashore all along Seminyak beach during the course of your stay. I assure you that Seminyak beach is not always like this. The normally debris-free stretch of Seminyak Beach began to experience rubbish washing ashore just two days before Christmas. We had very heavy rains and stormy seas for several days prior. At the beach in front of The Oberoi, Bali along with several other hotels along Seminyak Beach, we employ a full time cleanup crew to clean the beach every daily. We will continue our efforts to educate, preserve and protect this beach as we are also very active in a turtle conservation programme here. Sea turtles land on Seminyak Beach, in front of The Oberoi from May to October and lay their eggs. We harvest and protect the eggs and release them when they hatch. Our efforts increase their chances of survival. All beaches in Indonesia are public property and therefore difficult to control from a single hotel. The pollution of Indonesia's beaches is national concern and we are at the forefront of educating the community and cleaning beaches on this island. I am very sorry that the beach was in such a state during your visit.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is in a beautiful location, on Seminyak Beach. The grounds are lovely. The pool is terrific. The service was spectacular: nice, kind, generous, extremely helpful. The breakfasts were not great, but they were not terrible. We did not have dinner on property, as the hotel is near many other restaurants that seemed more interesting to us. The spa treatments we had were very good, though the spa is small and somewhat removed from the rest of the property. The only real problem at this hotel is the rooms. They are just not comfortable. The bed is fine, though there is a wooden ledge surrounding it, making climbing in and out a challenge sometimes. It's more the rest of the furniture in the rooms. (We had a garden lanai, but we could see most other rooms and they were similar.) There is an uncomfortable wicker sofa in front of the bed, and then a sitting chair and a desk chair. That pretty much takes up the room--and it just was not comfortable to be in there unless we were sleeping or sitting on the bed. The weather was not such that we could easily sit at our outside table and chairs, which might have helped. I guess that the rooms could be refreshed and at least a more comfortable sofa installed in each room. The bathrooms were very spacious and there was enough closet space too. All and all, this is a nice hotel if you plan to spend time at the beach or in town and not in your room. The hotel stands out for location and service--just not the room comfort or features.

Room Tip: Choose a villa, as there will be more space and a private pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear ALKDVS,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of The Oberoi, Bali on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed several aspects of your stay with us and that you enjoyed the grounds, the staff, the pool, and spa.

I am sorry to read that your found the breakfast served to you could have been better. I will review your feedback with our executive chef. I am sorry that you did not try any evening meals at our Kura-Kura Restaurant, as the cuisine we offer is indeed world class.

I am sorry to read that you did not find your room comfortable. As you describe, the Balinese bed, rattan love seat, coffee table, desk and chair do make up the entirety furnishings in the rooms. Lanai rooms are 55-60 square metres each. As you have mentioned we do also have Villas which are more spacious. It is shame that heavy rains kept you indoors during your visit. Thank you for your feedback about the comfort. All guest feedback plays an important role in the services we offer and any upgrades planned. Your comments are indeed very valuable to us.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali again one day.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed there as a family party of 17 for 4 nights at the end of December 2013 for a family reunion & to celebrate a special family milestone. It was the perfect choice. The resort has absolute beach frontage. The beach is cleaned of driftwood & flotsam frequently to allow the guests to experience what an unpolluted Bali beach should be. The sea breeze, sound of pounding waves, lush vegetation, swaying trees make this an idyllic tropical spot. The large well staffed pool, extensive well kept grounds make it perfect for family activities for all ages. The toddlers particularly enjoyed the freedom of just running around & feeding the fish.

The daily complimentary afternoon tea & cultural activities was a highlight. It allowed us to truly experience different aspects of the Balinese culture. The evening performance of the Legong was very special. Sitting at the Kayu bar facing the beach in the evening was another unforgettable experience. The gourmet BBQ & service at the Kura Kura Restaurant was impeccable.

We stayed in 7 garden lannais. The chalets were traditionally Balinese, luxurious & well serviced. The staff made sure that every aspect of our holiday was personalised. This was a hard task as we were a large party with kids' ages ranging from toddlers to teenagers.

The Balinese people themselves are the most special part of any holiday in Bali. The staff at Oberoi exemplified it all. We have stayed in other resorts in the area & believe that the Oberoi is the best of the lot. It had the right touch, luxurious & attentive without being snooty, exudes a warm family atmosphere. We recommend this resort highly.

5 Thank Aussies064
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you and your family have enjoyed your visit here and that you had an enjoyable holiday. I am happy to note that our location on the beach and the daily cultural events at tea along with our friendly Balinese staff have looked after you and your family well.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you and your family back to The Oberoi, Bali once again.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed for 3 days and enjoyed our stay very much. The staff is very friendly and helpful and assist you very well. Wether it is a special requests at in room dining or organizing tours, the assistance is accurate and efficient.
The food is very good and the location is perfect for a Bali stay. As the rooms are spread in the very large garden the atmosphere is calm and quiet. Just relax in a hammock and watch the sunset - what else could you ask for!

Dear Noëlle H,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit here and that you have enjoyed the warm Balinese staff, dining options, tours, and location. I am happy to note that our location on the beach, that hammock on the lawns, and our proximity to the shops and restaurants has been enjoyed by you.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 January 2014

There are a lot of very positive things to say about the Oberoi like the
breakfast, the staff , the garden surroundings, but here is our other story:

I always book with the remark "very quiet room or villa pleast" !!

We booked the "Garden Villa" and got it....the villa is dated but still clean and
nothing to complain as I know they are built over 25 years or so ago. That is
not the Point. The main issue is that the northern part of the Hotel is adjected
nearby the Ku-Da-Te and believe me , if you do not like "Bum-Bum" Sound that
give you a fast heartbeat until early hourse in the mornings , this northern part of the Hotel is not for you...and for us !!!!!
They should close the northern part of the Hotel or tell guests what they expect.
Ku-Da-Te is the hell for those who are looking for a romantic gateaway from the
hectic of life for this Hotel. And then in the morning at 6am , the street inside the
Hotel gives you enough noise that you had to wake up.
We complaint that we would leave so they gave us another pool-villa which was
away from the street but nearer to Ku-Da-Te....well, the pool was very nice, the garden
nice and the room nice. But they could not give us the Aha-effect because of the noise....

My Girl-friend was shocked about the beach , it rained before and during two days while
staying there. After the 3rd day the sun came out we went to a walk on the beach but
frankly , I have seen such a waste at a beach only in Lagos-Nigeria (I have visited over
55 countries so far). Sorry to say this but it is true. It is well-known that Bali has not the
best beaches but it starts to shock now. I know what I am talking as during the past 25
years I stayed over 6 months alone in Bali...I love Bali for their unbeatable friendliness
but I need to find my "Bali paradise again somewhere else on the Island hopefully in the
future" (like Banyan Ungasan did two-three years ago).

5 Thank topofthetop
Dear topofthetop,

Thank you for posting your comments and feedback on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed the breakfasts served, the warm Balinese staff , and the garden surroundings here.

On the contrary, I am truly sorry to know that your enjoyment of this iconic beachfront resort has been disturbed by the overly loud music from KuDeTa. Unfortunately loud music over Christmas and New Year's Eve from KuDeTa permeated the entire Seminyak area. We do always try our best to accommodate all guest requests. All of the rooms at The Oberoi, Bali were occupied over the Christmas and New Year period, and we are sorry we could not provide another alternate accommodation further away from the sound of KuDeTa. As Bali has grown in popularity, Seminyak has become the epicentre of chic boutiques, galleries, restaurants, and unfortunately night clubs.

I am also sorry to note that the beach was a disappointment. I assure you and the TripAdvisor audience that Seminyak beach is not always as you describe in your post. The normally debris-free stretch of Seminyak Beach began to experience rubbish washing ashore just two days before Christmas. We had very heavy rains and stormy seas for several days prior. At the beach in front of The Oberoi, Bali along with several other hotels along Seminyak Beach, we employ a full time cleanup crew to clean the beach every day. We will continue our efforts to educate, preserve and protect this beach as we are also very active in a turtle conservation programme here. Sea turtles land on Seminyak beach from May to October and lay their eggs. We harvest and protect the eggs and then release them when they hatch. Our efforts increase their chances of survival. All beaches in Indonesia are public property and therefore difficult to control from a single hotel. The pollution of Indonesia's beaches is indeed a problem and we are at the forefront of educating the community and cleaning beaches on this island. I am very sorry that the beach was in such a state during your visit.