“Our Home in Bali”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #14 of 149 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Oberio Bali is very special for me. I first saw the Oberio Bali in 1976, on my first visit to Bali when I was a poor nursing student, wandering up the beach from Legion whilst staying in a family owned losman/pension.

I always hoped that one day, I might be able to afford to stay at the Oberio. We did this first in March 2011. The Oberoi Bali is very special for several reasons - traditional Balinese compound design and a most wonderful gardens. Dale my partner is a botanist at the Sydeny Royal Botanic Gardens and where ever we travel always visit local gardens and inspired by plants and garden design. The Oberio Bali gardens are inspiring and a delight to just move through.

The service at the Oberoi is exemplary and the staff are discrete, polite and always welcoming. The Oberoi is a refuge from the noise and masses in Seminyak (don't even mention Kuta). Being right on the beach is also special.

When in Bali (I think this was about my 10 trip) I always try and stay at special and significant hotels. In Ubud, I prefer to stay at the Hotel Tjampuhan, from the 1930's an artist's home again set in most beautiful gardens beside the Sungai Wos and Campuan Rivers. Room numbers are small, so the feel is very individualised and personal.

In Sanur, we like to stay at Tandjung Sari, again traditional Balinese villas, set in gardens again dating back to the early 1960s. The furniture is again traditional.

Each time in Bali, I like to engage a driver and make a trip into the countryside/padi fields and mountains to see the villagers and breathe in the stunning scenery. This time we took the central mountain drive to Bedugal, Lake Bratan and the Botanic Gardens. Again, a stunning day with a great tour guide.

My only suggestion would be include more cultural experiences on site for the hotel guests. I would like to participate in Balinese cooking courses -I did the course at Casa Luna, Ubud many years ago and it introduced me to the connection between culture and food, the significance of rice and vegetables. Maybe also batik demonstrations, etc.

Again, I must iterate that the Oberio Bali is like a "home" when visiting Bali. We could ask for nothing more.

My partner and I love to travel and value staying in accommodation that is traditional, respectful and supports the local community and culture, showcases the local arts and crafts, is aware of the local ecology and environment and of high quality. I believe the Oberoi Bali achieves all these objectives and one that you and your staff should be very proud. Thank you for making our stay so special (again) and we look forward to our next visit (to our home in Bali).

Regards Greg and Dale
Sydney Australia

Room Tip: All rooms are individual villas, very private set in tropical gardens.
1  Thank Greg R
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Greg R,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the location, food and beverage, and service delivery from our warm Balinese staff has been enjoyed by you.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali once again.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,745)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We decided to stay at The Oberoi Bali for 2 nights after reading extensive reviews on good it was. The price was quite high in view that in Seminyak, you can rent a Villa for about the same what a Lanai room costs at The Oberoi. We were however pleasantly surprised as the Lanai room at The Oberoi is somewhat like a Villa with its own private outdoor terrace and the bathroom came with a lovely sunken bath and lovely bath amenities. We were upgraded to a Lanai room overlooking the beach and it was beautiful.
What sets The Oberoi apart from other places at Seminyak that we had stayed in is their level of personalized service. All the staff were delightful and go out of the way to make our stay pleasant. The breakfast was superb - the choices extensive and all the food were delicious. Finally, you can't beat this location. Right in the middle of shopping, entertainment and on the beach. I will say it was worth every penny! Thank you, The Oberoi Bali.

Room Tip: The Lanai room overlooking the beach
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jhornsby,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay here.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali once again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We visited the oberoi in early June for my mothers 70th birthday and couldn't fault our experience. The hotel is a cut above all of the other options in the area. Come to the oberoi and experience 'real' bali in a luxury setting.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sparrowcaro,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We are honoured that you have chosen The Oberoi, Bali as the backdrop to celebrate your mother's birthday.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed 4 nights in June 2014,and already have confirmed for next year.Staying at the Oberoi is like staying with a dear friend.Everything in this Hotel is Perfect. The Balinese inspired villa`s and gardens are a santuary from busy Seminyak,and set a standard that others can only hope to obtain.There kitchens provide anything you wish for and it is so nice to have breakfast as a la carte service overlooking the gardens and beach.The energetic GM Mr John Halpin can often be seen working alongside his team Laughing ang Greeting guests, What a professional and Friendly led team this hotel has.We can`t wait to return,,

Room Tip: We had a garden room,close to the Spa.
1  Thank geoffrey p

Dear Geoffrey P,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you are returning again next year.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali next year.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said about this sanctuary in the heart of Seminyak.
My wife and I just spent 2 weeks here in June. This was I think our 4th stay. i don't think we've ever stayed at one place this many times on our travels.
As you enter the property the hustle and bustle of Semiyak is left behind.
The property is one of the older ones , if not the oldest along the Seminyak foreshore. However I think this adds to the serenity of the place.
Don't be put off by it's age It is by no means run down, quite the opposite. The accomodation and facilities are immaculate.
John Halpin the manager, has a very good relationship with his staff and judging by the number of staff who we see from our previous visits they enjoy working at the Oberoi.
It's the little touches like fresh fruit sticks and sorbets around the pool that make you feel relaxed and pampered.
The food in the Kura Kura resaurant is top class. Even if you only eat here once on your stay I would highly recommend it, it's worth it.
Keep up the good work John, see you next time.

2  Thank 807georgeg
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear 807georgeg,

We are appreciative of your repeated visits and happy to read that you are pleased by the level of service, accommodation and facilities at our resort.

Thank you for having stayed with us again, and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you home to The Oberoi, Bali in near future.

With kind regards,

John Halpin

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at The Oberoi for our honeymoon. It was amazing! The staff were amazing, service was superb and we were made to feel very special. Fresh fruit in the rooms is provided every day. The facilities are brilliant and the food is very good. Would recommend this hotel any day. It is very special.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear ShelGlan,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us.

Thank you for having stayed at The Oberoi, Bali, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back on your return to Bali.

John Halpin

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I cannot begin to describe the experience and service we received at the Oberoi. We came during our honeymoon as the last stop out of three locations and it was truly the best out of all three.
The service provided by Oberoi was out of this world and we were made to feel so welcome. The open air breakfast each morning was a fantastic start to the day and the menu provided a range of dishes to choose from. My husband said that the French toast was the best he'd ever eaten.
We ate in the restaurant for one night of our stay and the food, service and ambience was exceptional, we would definitely recommend it. The chef visiting our table was a personal touch to a memorable dining experience.
At the spa, we enjoyed an amazing couples massage.
We loved ever minute at this incredible hotel and we cannot thank the staff enough for our relaxing, enjoyable honeymoon.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear AMYMB86,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us. I am also pleased to learn that the breakfast dishes were up to your expectations.

With warm regards,