“Absolute Heaven”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #11 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff are incredible - I have near felt more looked after after. They thought of my needs before I did!

The room was lovely, the pool was beautiful and the restaurant was top class. Cannot recommend highly enough!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing - however I would say that the pool is so lovely that you don't really...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deaglan_Bu
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Deaglan_Bu

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the location, food and beverage, and service delivery from our warm Balinese staff has been enjoyed by you.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali once again.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,720)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were told that this is the oldest luxury hotel on Bali... Oberoi family launched this property in the late 1970s before the advent of the usual suspects (Four Seasons, Ritz, St. Regis, Mandarin, Bulgary, etc., etc.). It is a boutique hotel of about 60 rooms/villas, and it seems to have a loyal following of the not so trendy people. The property is well managed and comes across as authentic and private. We had an excellent stay, and recommend a pool villa for the ideal experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank YuriVanetik

Dear YuriVanetik

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your party to our resort. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay here.

Thank you for staying with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali once again.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Well, Stay there for two nights. Everything was well and service was perfect. Would recommend People there ,should they ever want to travel there.Friend I was with have only good things to comment on this Resort.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Kumarguptaj74,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay here.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel exudes old school luxury and it doesn't need to try too hard. The lush green grounds are beautiful and the location is really good. Lovely beachfront facing. The pool is pretty and relaxing to lounge around - helped by a regular supply of mineral water and fresh fruit skewers and sorbets brought by the friendly staff. We tried the gym and it was decent - if a bit too hot! The room we stayed in wasn't amazing but nice enough and the bathroom was really big - good shower and bath. My only gripe about the room was the bed - way too high with a wooden ledge jutting out at each side of the bed. And of course, I bashed my leg off it! I consider myself fairly agile and it was difficult for me to get in at night. Not sure if all rooms have similar beds - I wouldn't have thought so. The service was, for the most part, really good. A slight slip up at breakfast when it had rained and it seemed everyone headed for breakfast at 10.30am when breakfast ends at 11am. My only real disappointment was the hotel's attitude to late check out. I don't expect late check out to be automatically available but I would have expected alternative arrangements to be easily put in place. They couldn't allow us late check out as our room was due to be taken. They said they could move us to another room for 4 hours (when we needed to leave) for a half day room charge (US$220). I asked if they had any other facilities where we could just shower but they said maybe the spa, maybe somewhere else but I needed to let them know the exact time. This just annoyed me as this must happen all the time. However, we've come across this same problem in other busy hotels in Asia. I just think 5 star hotels should have facilities available for this sort of thing. I mean we pay enough for the rooms. All in all, we had a really lovely trip and love Bali. I'm not sure we'd rush back to this hotel as there are so many other good hotels in Bali but I'm sure anyone who stays here will have a lovely holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank SKSCOT

12//8/14.

Dear SKSCOT,

We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us. I am sorry that the bed was uncomfortable. We are taking measures to change this in the very near future. I am sorry breakfast was disorganised on one day. It is indeed a challenge when it suddenly rains in the middle of the dry season and everyone rushes indoors and the staff scurry to shuttle food from the kitchen at the outdoor cafe.

I am very sorry that we could not let you keep your room for late check out and that alternative arrangements were not readily available. When the hotel is 100% full, we do not have other rooms available for late check out. Check-in time is 2pm and check out time is 12 noon. Late check out can be guaranteed by arranging in advance. 50% of the prevailing room rate is chargeable for late check out up to 6 pm. In the instance that a room is not available, a changing area is available at The Spa. I am sorry we do not have specific rooms in our inventory set aside to be used as late check out rooms. We had asked you for exact timings in an effort to try and let you use a room before an arrival. We did not mean to let you down and certainly did not want to let an arriving guest too be disappointed either.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I like Oberoi hotels .This one is by far my favourite of all the Oberois .Firstly I think they have a fantastic beach .Great Food and beverage options .my personal favourite is the free standing restaurant close to the Oberoi Bali called Kudeta .Loved the breakfast there .But services of the hotel are fantastic. Staff is very very nice .They ensure there guests have a good time

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cook1932

Dear Cook1932,

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I wish we didn't feel this way, but my husband and I just both did not fully enjoy our stay at The Oberoi. This was our first stop in Bali, and driving through noisy dirty Seminyak, we couldn't wait to reach our 5-star hotel. The welcome drink and outdoor check-in was very nice, but things went downhill from there. I must say first that the grounds and architecture are very beautiful and traditional. But after flying for 16 hours, the last thing we wanted was a 25 minute tour of both the property and our room, reviewing every drawer, light switch, towel, remote control, etc. We travel a lot and it was just overkill. The staff is nice but seemed totally amateur, confirming requests 3 times without leaving you feeling confident that they got what you asked for. We almost made the assumption that we did not like the Balinese people, but now having left the Oberoi, I realize it was only their mostly awkward staff that we didn't connect with.

We stayed for 3 nights and were pretty jetlagged so we spent the first 2 days eating our meals at the hotel like fools! We should have known better but we were lazy. The food was good, but took forever and it is so incredibly overpriced. On our third day, we left for both lunch and dinner, ate like kings, and paid a fraction of the price. We expected prices to be lower outside of the hotel, but not by half. That was extremely disappointing and we really felt swindled.

Others have mentioned the bed being surrounded by a wood platform - I have a bruise the size of a golf ball on my shin that has not gone away. Just a terrible design, and they should at the very least not drape the comforter over the wood so you can see what the deal is...or have the staff point that out during your extended room tour. That was the one detail we would have actually appreciated being warned about!

To boot, the beach stunk of sewage. I wish we felt differently and I dislike leaving negative feedback, but our expectations were not nearly met, and now that we are at COMO Shambhala, another 5-star resort in Bali, it is so very apparent that the Oberoi is not a 5-star hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Leila S

Dear Leila S,

I was happy to read that you found the architecture and setting to be beautiful and traditional. On the contrary, I am truly sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay with us as much as we (and you) would have liked. Thank you for your constructive feedback about the rooming procedure and bed surround. I assure that we have extensive training measures in place to ensure no mistakes are made. I am truly sorry that extra cautionary steps such as repeating guest requests has been misperceived by you that our staff are 'totally amateur'.

I appreciate your comparison to some of the pricing of restaurants around Seminyak. The prices at The Oberoi, Bali are similar to other resorts on the island of Bali (including the resort which you have mentioned in Ubud). We take great care in ensuring we use the highest quality ingredients and intentionally do not offer a similar style of food found at street-side resturants which are indeed much less costly.

I would like to clarify for the sake of the TripAdvisor audience the following: Two natural rivers flow out to the sea on either side of The Oberoi, Bali. These two natural estuaries are natural waterways which still make up a part of Bali's unique 'subak' irrigation system for rice fields. As unbelievable as it may seem, behind many of the shops, restaurants and galleries in Seminyak there are still rice fields which are a dependent upon these natural estuaries which begin their journey to the sea far to the north beyond Ubud. At the northern river, one can often witness a unique Balinese ceremony, the last rite of passage after a Balinese Hindu cremation, when the ashes of the departed are brought to a place where the river meets the sea. The two rivers here pre-date The Oberoi and are indeed a natural waterways. The Oberoi, Bali does not release any water to the sea. The Oberoi, Bali is active in preservation and eco waste management on the island. I assure you and TripAdvisor readers that these river are not sewage and The Oberoi, Bali does not release any waste water to the sea.

Thank you for having stayed with us. I am truly sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. If your travel plans bring you back to Bali, myself and the team here would be greatly appreciative if you would again stay with us so we could try and persuade you to feel otherwise.

Regards,

The Oberoi, Bali

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our stay at the Oberoi was fantastic. The hotel is staffed by what has to be 50 people at any time. No matter who we passed, they always had a smile of their face and greeted us. We could've spent our time just wandering the beautifully manicured grounds! The Oberoi is well worth the extra money!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jayhawks2014
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

6/8/14.

Dear Jayhawks2014,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and have been well looked after by our team.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

With warm regards,