“Worth Turning Fifty a Day Early”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #10 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Vashon, Washington
“Worth Turning Fifty a Day Early”
Reviewed 2 January 2011

“May I clean your sunglasses, madam?
When I walked toward the sunloungers surrounding the Oberoi’s main pool, an attendant sprang toward the nearest vacant chair, covered it with a fresh white towel and placed a box of complimentary sunscreen, bottled water and a mister on the stand next to the umbrella. I fished my novel out of the string beach bag supplied in our room, read for a few minutes and promptly dozed off in the luxuriant sauna-like heat to the sound of the surf beating on Seminyak Beach. However the evident sorry state of my eyewear was cause for concern by the Oberoi’s highly attentive staff. No sooner were my Ray Bans returned to pristine condition than another attendant came around with grilled vegetables on skewers for all of us poolside layabouts, in case the exertion of turning over and applying sunscreen had rendered us famished a whole two hours after a sumptuous breakfast in the hotel restaurant.
My husband and I arrived at the Oberoi at around 10:00 AM. Knowing we were too early to check in, we were hoping to simply leave our bags at the counter and take a stroll through the boutiques of Seminyak. The front office staff were so horrified at their “mistake,” however, that they insisted on plying us with delicious nonalcoholic mojitos in the entrance hall until our room was put together, even though we kept protesting that it was no problem and we were well aware we were early.
After we were escorted through the beautiful parklike grounds to our room, the staff member showed us around the Lanai room. We had an immense marble bathroom with a sunken tub, a large armoire a king-sized bed, television, sitting area, and a private patio surrounded by stone walls and flowering hibiscus and heliconia. Best of all was the small courtyard garden off the bathroom – a lush tropical jungle surrounding a mossy stone carving we nicknamed “Stitch” for his resemblance to the Disney character.
In addition to the beach bag, the hotel supplied slippers, thick robes, insect repellent (which we didn’t need) complimentary bottles of water and bath salts and scented candles that were replaced at the slightest use. Plates of fresh fruit were brought in every morning, along with the International Herald Tribune.
As we settled in to the room I discovered next to the “no tipping” sign a lovely handwritten note from the manager apologizing profusely for the “delay” in our room availability. I’ve saved it and have it pinned to my bulletin board at home so I can look wistfully at it every time I’m put on hold or treated rudely by a business.
My fiftieth birthday fell during our stay. I had studied my guidebook and the Internet (the hotel offers complimentary wi-fi on the grounds and fee-based wi-fi inside the rooms), but couldn’t find a restaurant that seemed as attractive as the Oberoi’s, so we booked there for my birthday dinner. As we were sipping cocktails in the open-air bar prior to the meal, I suddenly realized that because we were on the opposite side of the International Date Line from my birthplace in the United States, I was technically not yet fifty. After the second giant coconut-shell drink, however, I decided that the Oberoi made aging one day faster well worth it.
My birthday dinner, as well as several others we ate at the hotel, was sublime. They have marvelous Japanese as well as Indonesian cuisine, and the sashimi was absolutely first-rate. I’m not easy to satisfy in that regard as my Seattle home is blessed with some of the world’s best seafood, but the Oberoi more than exceeded my exacting standards. I would have liked to have had more wine with the dinners, but it is breathtakingly expensive on Bali (everywhere we looked, not the Oberoi’s doing) so we settled for an “interesting” Balinese chardonnay one night and then stuck to the excellent Bintang beer.
When we returned to the room after my birthday dinner we discovered that the hotel had sent a cake and an immense bouquet of flowers with a card wishing my happy birthday. The cake, made of a sort of passionfruit crème, was delicious, by the way.
The Oberoi is conveniently located for exploring the Seminyak area on foot, and we enjoyed poking around the nearby shops. We also walked next door to the Ku de Ta nightclub for drinks and music and to watch the sunset and the people. No noise from the nightclub or any of the activities on nearby Kuta Beach filtered back to the Oberoi, however, which remained a hushed haven day and night.
One day we had the concierge book a car and driver to take us to the Pura Tanah Lot temple about 45 minutes away. We had a great morning there, and the driver was helpful and knowledgeable. Being fairly quiet types we were especially appreciative that he did not try to take us on detours to shops, as we were put off by this sort of pressure at other times on Bali. He was happy to answer our questions about things we saw along the way and volunteered to stop whenever we wanted for photo opportunities.
At the end of our stay the hotel put on a performance of the traditional Ramayana dance. Originally set to take place in the Oberoi’s small outdoor amphitheatre, it was moved to the restaurant due to rain. This change turned out to make an even better experience, as the twenty or so guests watching the show were seated only a few feet from the performers. While the gamelan orchestra tinkled away behind the maitre-d’s stand, I thought back to a scene we’d noticed in the lobby when we arrived: A British couple was chatting with the hostess, who told them how happy the hotel was that the couple were returning to their “real home” after 30 years. As the gold-encrusted dancers turned and swayed gracefully to the music, I vowed that we, too, would return to this “real home” for the next special occasion in our lives. Even if it does wind up being a day early.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank schippk
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 18 January 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali

We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay and that all services and facilities offered by the hotel were to your entire satisfaction. I have shared with my team your observations of our detailed services as an encouragement for them to keep trying to exceed our guests’ expectations.

Myself and my entire team would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity of being of service to you during your recent visit to Bali.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Email : kamal.kaul@oberoihotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 29 December 2010

This hotel is first rate, very discrete, lovely breakfast, pool service is to die for, plus close to town.

Gardens well kept, the rooms with pools are extremely luxurious.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2010

Set on palatial Balinese gardens in an incredibly central spot the Oberoi just keeps on exceeding every possible expectation.
I have stayed in a lot of Australian, so called "luxury" resorts and none come anywhere near the incredible standards of the Oberoi, in fact, it really has made our Holiday. We stayed for 5 nights but would have been happy there for a couple of weeks to say the least.
The first thing you will notice is the sound...there is none! its so peaceful both my partner and i we met with a complete sense of relaxation immediately. The staff are incredible however this can seem like a throw away line so here is why -

Pool service - go to the pool and have an attendant IMMEDIATELY arrange a towel on a sun bed, and pass you an excellent beach towel whilst always introducing this with a very genuine greeting.(when walking through the grounds, i challenge you to pick one member of staff who does not greet you directly!!)

Food - Restaurant staff remembered our preferences after the first day and only asked to be suer we hadn't changed our mind as to what we wanted ( tea / Coffee), small thing but when combined with the rest of the experience it was really wonderful.

Room Service - i have had some pretty touch and go experiences with room services (Hilton hotels anyone?) however we had a yearning for some simple western food and ordered a burger and an extra serve of fries....was fantastic and reasonably priced by Australian standards...... Also the mini bar was very cheap by those same standards.

Kura Kura - This is the main restaurant and is well worth it, honestly, the food could be slop form a bucket and it would still be great the view / ambience is so fantastic. This is where the Jungle meets the sea in full force. Lanterns line the paths and the trees (all numbered) are lit from beneath to create a truly fantastic place. That said the food was brilliant and so was the menu, not overly complicated or contrived, easy to read, choose and i would encourage anyone that stays to enjoy it regularly - also, for 2 people, drinks entrees and main our bill came to a little over 1 million rupee. Roughly $120 AUS made me feel guilty it was so reasonable.

Rooms were great, and yeah there is an odour - its not offensive, its the tropics!!! Actually, i found that it just smelled a little damp and as it rains every day at this time of year it really was not an issue. Decor is incredibly tasteful and bathrooms in the lanai's are nothing short of amazing, the sunken baths are unique and the shower that has a door to the small but private garden make this feel wonderful when open - Great bath salts, shower gel ,shampoo also.

Basically guys, im coming back an im actually going to book next christmas in the first few weeks of our return. Bali is great however the Oberoi is just too good to be true. If you miss out on staying here you really have lost an opportunity of a life time.

** just a tip for new visitors to Bali like us, don't be afraid of the local food - i got in a cab and asked the driver to take me to a place he ate at, so we did and he joined me. $1.20 for a meal is hard to beat and a great experience..... The taxis are excellent and very very cheap.

ENJOY!

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay and that you were satisfied with the services rendered. Your detailed feedback on various service areas of the hotel is extremely useful and indeed very encouraging for my team members to keep working hard to exceed our guest’s expectations.

The Oberoi, Bali.
Reviewed 18 December 2010

I've just come back from a 5 night stay at the oberoi and I think it is possibly one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The staff were fabulous, the food amazing, the 25m pool was great. When I stayed there were no kids and it wasn't too busy and there was no noise. The rooms are balinese style, lots if teak etc. but i prefer that to the modern, sleek, stark look of some of the other top hotels. The hotel is set on huge grounds and the rooms are spread all over the property. I was traveling solo, there were a few other solo transports and the place wasn't overwhelmed by romantic couples or children. The massage I had at their spa was very good. I could not fault my holiday there other than it nor being long enough.

• Stayed December 2010
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Don't Stay Here!
Great location / landscaping but...
Fleas,
Bali Belly,
Old wooden beds,
Rooms have that 80's feel,
Our room smelt like a dog had died there,
Expensive food that just isn't great quality,
Staff are just going through the montions.
Go and get yourself a Villa instead!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
12 Thank CoachB2
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 18 December 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent trip to The Oberoi, Bali

Your feedback is very important as we carefully analyze all of our guest comments to evaluate the performance of each department. I regret that overall the hotel did not meet your expectations and that you were disappointed in our resort. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kindly allow me to respond to your specific comments as follows :

ROOM SMELL : All our rooms are serviced twice a day and I would like to assure you that the rooms do not have any offensive odour. Most of our rooms have been continuously occupied since the beginning of December, and we have not received any similar comment from any other guests. However, the thatched roofs of Lanai rooms and Villas, during rainy season, sometimes emanate a natural whiff of wet grass.

ROOM DÉCOR : Our bedroom décor is deliberately Balinese in look with extensive use of solid teak wood, rattan and Balinese artefact. The marble bathrooms set in private walled gardens provide all the modern comforts expected in a luxury resort.

FOOD PRICES : Our menu prices are in line with all international standard hotels in Bali. All our menu prices also include 21% tax and service charge, which are separately added to the bill in other establishments in Bali. In addition to the fine dining dinner menu at the Kura-Kura Restaurant, we also offer options for casual all day dining at the Pool Deck and Frangipani Cafe and for informal dinner at Kayu Bar.

Email: Kamal.Kaul@oberoihotels.com
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2010

This hotel is set in beautiful tropical gardens and on the beach. It is beautifully designed and meticulously groomed. The rooms are a little less spectactular than some hotels of this standard ,but the standard of service make up for it. The staff on every level could not have been more friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fantastic and the pool snacks of fruit skewers,sorbets and afternoon tea were great too. The food and drinks are expensive ,but there are lots of reasonably priced cafes,bars and restaurants within easy walking distance and there is also a complemetary hotel car to take you into Kuta or anywhere along the way , one way or return.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Dear Guest,

We also thank you for your comment regarding our food and drink prices, which you had found to be expensive. We regularly conduct market surveys and I would like to assure you that our prices are in line with all other international hotels in Bali. For the convenience of our guests, all our listed menu prices also include 10% Service Charge and 11% Government Tax.

Hyderabad
Reviewed 20 November 2010

After soaking in the awesomeness of Ubud, we headed to Seminyak for the 'honeymoon special' AND it was indeed very special thanks to the wonderful staff. My favorite part was sun bathing on the bench--comfortable, clean seats and towels, and a table beside you with water, sunscreen, cold face towels, provided by the hotel.

We stayed at the Luxury Lanais and gotta say that I loved the bathroom more than the room.

There is complimentary breakfast, evening tea and snack, tropical fruit bowl in the room and wifi in the restaurants but in the room you have to pay. The service was very good--even the gardeners would drop their spades and greet you. very sweet.

My only problem was the food--I usually like to explore and find as many good places as possible around the place I stay but there isn't much on the beach and we didn't feel like walking out in the town looking for places to eat. It defends the purpose of staying in a beach luxury hotel. But really the food is here INSANELY expensive!

Other than that, had an awesome time--first time in a thatch 5 star hotel! and will not be the last :)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We also thank you for your comment regarding the restaurant prices, which you had found to be very expensive. We regularly conduct market surveys and I would like to assure you that our prices are in line with all other international hotels in Bali. For the convenience of our guests, all our listed menu prices include 10% Service Charge and 11% Government Tax.