“What it lack's in Size, it makes up for in Service ...”
Review of L Hotel Seminyak

L Hotel Seminyak
Ranked #47 of 146 Hotels in Seminyak
Western Australia
“What it lack's in Size, it makes up for in Service ...”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I arrived in L hotel to finish a work assignment. I needed time away from everything / everyone to complete this task in silence and in a calming environment. I booked a standard suite, which I found to be lovely, but perhaps a little small. Once settled I was heavily disturbed by another guest child ! I made a complaint and explained my reasons for coming to the hotel, to which the management team responded to immediately. I was given a lovely Upgrade to a wonderful large suit in a very quiet area of the hotel. Since then my stay has been fantastic and my personal butlers could not have assisted me more. The hotel have arranged their driver to take me to shopping and Salons for a much needed hour or so out. The staff have really went the extra mile to ensure I am looked after and even remember small details, such as my breakfast preference ! The hotel management also agreed to a complimentary late check out, which was most appreciated.

If there is any bad points, I would say the room service menu is very small and limited. However this should not be a problem for the normal guest who would often eat out in Bali anyway.

Well Done L Hotel - Small in size but Big on service !

Room Tip: If you can, take the suites with a Bath , i found my first suite quite small !
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LRoss79
LHotelSeminyak, Manager at L Hotel Seminyak, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Dear Ms Ross,

Thanks for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor. Firstly, we would like to apologize for the noise from the accompanying child of one of our guests, however we are glad that changing your suite rectified the problem. We hope you managed to complete your work assignment successfully! Also apologize if you felt the room service menu was limited, it has now been upgraded and you are able to select items from most of our items from Lola, our restaurant located on the mezzanine level.

We are happy to hear that our staff went out of their way to serve your needs and even more pleased to know that they paid attention to the littlest details such as remembering your breakfast preferences 

Thanks again, and look forward to hearing from you again,
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I had a wonderful stay in this hotel early this month. It was a short break. Staff are attentive and very accommodating. My room was even upgraded as well. It's really a small cozy place. Feel like home to me. Special thanks to Punal and team for making my trip memorable and sweet.

• Stayed January 2013
LHotelSeminyak, Management at L Hotel Seminyak, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Dear Melissa,

It was such a pleasure to have met you and Rachel over your stay at the hotel and to know that you are a fellow hotelier as well! Yes, our team remembers you fondly as well and they thank you for your compliments.

Thank you for sharing your experience and look forward to meeting you again!

Kunal Pawa
Business Development
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at L Hotel. We were greeted at the airport by a hotel driver, with cold drinks and wet towels! Beautiful rooms, clean and well presented. We loved the complimentary toiletries including the sunscreen, all replaced daily. However the hairdryer and mirror were a little awkward to use at the same time due to the positioning of the bench. Meals were awesome, extremely good value for money. Rutger the chef did a fabulous job. We had free cocktails and canapes each evening, up at the rooftop restaurant and bar. We swam in the pool and enjoyed our lunch and drinks poolside. Although the position of the pool was a little weird as it is alongside the restaurant/meals area. Lucky for us there were very few diners, the days we swam so we weren't too much on display! The butlers were amazing, nothing was too much trouble. Denny organised our travel itinerary for the day and found us an esky so we could take cold drinks. We loved all the staff, very friendly, helpful and prompt, they couldn't do enough for us. If the hotel drivers were busy when we required a driver, hotel staff called us a cab and paid for it. Excellent service. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Belzy21
LHotelSeminyak, Management at L Hotel Seminyak, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Belzy21,

Thanks for your wonderful comments about the hotel and your experience here. We are glad to know you completely enjoyed your stay. The butler service is definitely one of our hallmarks so we will continue to improve this service and we will definitely let Dedy know of your compliments!

We are proud to know that we are fulfilling the promise of a small, luxurious, personalized hotel and we look forward to welcoming you here again,

Adeline Quek
Resident Tastemaker
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Pros:
Best pancakes ever!! the ex-pat chef is ex Sarong and Mummasan and knows his stuff.
Fabulous personal service from the very first moment - they are the most proactive staff I have experienced in over 30 trips to Bali. Very professional staff.
Extraordinarily comfortable beds, beautiful products in room, loads of extras.
Great rooftop bar.
Free taxi service around Seminyak which was always available.

Cons:
The pool area doesn't work. If you are looking for a place to hang out and read a book, this isn't your place. I understood when booking that this hotel was more a city style hotel but underestimated how inadequate the pool was. The pool area is inside and in the dining area so you have no sun and are surrounded by people eating their breakfast RIGHT by you. Great if you are an exhibitionist I suppose:).

As an architect, I thought they should swap the foyer and dining area so that the restaurant is at the front of the hotel. Create more energy for the dining area which is a bit flat and then the pool area would be more a bar area. The front area is a dead space.

Noisy location - remember your ear plugs.

DVD selection really poor - especially in a country awash with cheap DVD copies.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Spreadthelove
Dear Spreadthelove,

Thank you for your comments and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We apologize for any inconvenience caused regarding the swimming pool. To share with you, we are looking at a possible solution and we will update everyone as soon as we can on any new developments there. The noise is not much of an issue anymore, and we have made our DVD selection more interesting too. Just to clarify, we do not use pirated DVDs in our DVD list.

Happy to hear that you enjoyed the food. Chef Rutger did indeed work in Sarong and Mama San previously, and it lends to his diverse experience and menu creations. We are also very pleased to hear that our service teams met your expectations and we will certainly make them aware of this.

Best regards,
Adeline Quek
Resident Tastemaker
Singapore
Reviewed 21 January 2013

If you do choose to stay at the L Seminyak, go with the right expectations and the experience will be amazing. Recognise that it's an urban hotel and will not be the resort/villa experience you may have come to associate with Bali.

Yes, the hotel is not by the beach, nor within walking distance. And there's only a small pool within the hotel that can be covered in 15 strokes (I counted).

BUT.. and it's a big but, the amazing staff more than make up for the traditional areas it lacks.

The hotel is small (just 30 rooms) and hence, the staff seem to know every guest intimately. Guests are greeted by their names, the staff are always smiling, and they always inquire about your day, your activities and truly believe in making it a personal experience. A butler (or butleress?) serves each floor 24 hours a day, so if you have any requests, go to them.

What I found invaluable is the free shuttle that the hotel provides in and around the Seminyak area. Guests are given a handphone when you leave the hotel (do ask for it if they forget to pass it to you) so that you can call for a pick up when you need it.

I also tried out the L Spa which is located next door. Great experience, the masseuse was experienced and I basically passed out under her tender kneading. For the ladies - the beautifying package (RP 790,000) is value for money - you get a scrub, a massage and a hair or facial treatment.

While the pool is small and may be a little awkward to use as it's located next to the restaurant that doubles up as the breakfast area, I had no problem using it as it was always empty! I suppose the combination of visiting in low season and other guests choosing to head out meant i basically had a private pool. If I do have a recommendation, the staff can serve complimentary water and fruit ala other resorts. That would certainly bump up the experience by quite a few notches.

My fiance and I also ate at the rooftop restaurant - teppanyaki at Kitano. If you've not experienced a teppanyaki show before, do try this out. The chef Agus has worked in the US before in teppanyaki joints and honed his craft there. So expect tricks, fire, great knife work and lots of showmanship. And the food's good too!

BUT.. and it's a big but, the amazing staff more than make up for the traditional areas it lacks in.

While the pool was small and may be a little awkward to use as it's located next to the restaurant that doubles up as the breakfast area, I had no problem using it as it was empty! I suppose the combination of low season and other guests choosing to head out meant i basically had a private pool.

If I do have a word of advice - skip the beach experience offered by the hotel. L Hotel Seminyak rents a spot on a beach about 10 minutes away by car. And by rent, I meant they rent a spot to set up a couple of umbrellas and deck chairs. There's an attendant Mary on hand who offers massages (not great) and tries to sell you a whole bunch of stuff. A small shack has also been set up if you need food or drinks. The beach is not pretty, there's overgrown weeds everywhere. Well, if you really like it rustic and raw, this is the spot for you. If you want a nice beach, I suggest heading to Potato Head beach club (lovely, lovely place) or Ku De Ta.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the rice paddy fields and not the road. Wake up to the sway green stalks and n...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
LHotelSeminyak, Manager at L Hotel Seminyak, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Dear Joanne,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at L Hotel Seminyak. We are glad the service offered to you by our teams made your stay at the hotel memorable. Also happy to hear that you enjoyed our pool and spa. We will look at solutions to make our pool larger to cater to other guests.

The shuttle service and mobile phone service are two of the nice touches that we have found many of our guests enjoy so we are happy to continue to offer such services. And you tried “Kung-Fu Chef” Agus at Kitano! A must-try for all our guests and glad you included that in your experience. We will look into your comments about the beach and how we can make it more convenient for our guests,

Thanks again,
south africa
Reviewed 18 January 2013

This loverly new property is a gem in Seminyak. The Butlers are amazing are certainly go above and beyond the call of duty. (They were even calling around to try and find a battery for my camera!).
The rooms are a little small and some may not like the open air bathrooms and the toilet stuck in the closet is a little claustrophobic, but it is the style of this modern boutique property.
Beds are comfy, the Khiels toiletries a loverly touch as are the free drinks in the mini bar.
Transport around Seminyak also fab.
My only complaint was the transfers to and from the hotel. To the hotel there was a mix-up with the times and we landed up just getting a cab (however they refunded us). Getting back to the airport, the hotel transport was busy and they arranged another driver. the trip took 3 hours and we almost missed our flight!
All in all great stay with super friendly staff in a loverly property.
PS- DO NOT waste your time with the spa, we a few treatments and all were shocking.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank leighdermick
Dear Leigh,

Thank you again for sharing your experience at L Hotel with other readers. We firstly apologize for the overlook of the correct timing of the transfers to and from the hotel, and for this we are deeply apologetic.

Your comments on the butler service is highly appreciated and we will make sure our service teams are complimented on the good service they provided you with.

We are surprised to hear your comments regarding the spa, as usually our hotel guests are very satisfied with the treatments but we will definitely look in to your comments regarding your experience at the spa.

Look forward to hearing from you again, and hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in Asia.

Best regards,
Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed an 8 night stay during January. It was a time of quite unfortunate strong winds and extended rain storms, although the wonderful staff at L went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed our first Bali experience. From the very friendly yet professional Butlers to the room service, front desk and restaurant staff everyone was so delighted to share advice and hear about your experiences in Bali.
Room
Small in size yet luxurious and a welcome oasis after day trips, beach trips or shopping in Seminyak or Kuta. Great shower and wonderful daily cleaning service from staff. (Wonderful towel sculptures :) )
Food & drink
Absolutely wonderful breakfast with lots of tasty options! Sandwiches among other options for lunch, and many choices for dinner. It would be great to have a few more western items on the menu as when we were unwell we sought refuge in steamed rice :). Very luxurious setting to eat upstairs or downstairs. Drinks were great, especially sunset cocktails with lovely views from the roof.
Beach & pool
The hotels pool and beach are not quite a sun tanner or loungers dream but are still enjoyable. A better option is to use the free private shuttle, and visit potato head beach club.
Staff
Wonderfully cheerful and helpful, lots of smiles and always keen to help in anyway and assure your experience is a good one. Our butler prepared a fantastic itinerary for us with all we wanted and was much cheaper than booking from Aus. The security were also great and we always felt very safe.
Noise
There have been a few reviews touching on noise so I thought fit to comment on our experience. We stayed on level 2 and faced the street. We heard minimal street noise and certainly weren't disturbed by it. We sometimes heard someone in the hall, more than likely other customers leaving or arriving to their rooms and sometimes other rooms being cleaned after breakfast. If you are a light sleeper I would suggest asking for a room facing the rice fields on level 2 or 3.
The L Hotel prides itself on personalised treatment and this was very evident. In our exploration of the island we did not meet a more friendly or accommodating group of professionals.
We will be back to Bali again and without a doubt we will be staying at the L hotel again. Terima Kaish Banyak L Hotel and all it's wonderful staff! :)

• Stayed January 2013
LHotelSeminyak, Manager at L Hotel Seminyak, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Dear John,

It brings a big smile to all our faces when we read reviews like yours and we thank you for sharing this with everyone. Certainly, our service teams have to take the biggest commends from this review and I am sure they are equally happy to hear your kind comments.

Noted about your request for more Western menu items, in fact we have just revamped both of our restaurants’ menu and it is waiting for you to sample!

We are also working quick to find a solution on our swimming pool requirements and will update you for sure.

Thank you again John for choosing us for your honeymoon and it will be our pleasure to have you return to L Hotel again,