“Basic, inexpensive place to stay. Not as good as it used to be.”

The Grey Boutique Inn
Ranked #47 of 117 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

If you need a place to just crash for a night or two in Bali and you aren't too fussy over accommodations, this could be your place. It has a decent location all things considered (walkable to a Mini-mart, Starbucks and McDonald's but nothing much beyond that) and sits on a relatively quiet side street which can be good for noise but hard for taxi drivers to find.

I first stayed here back in 2012 and found it to be quite good all things considered. It definitely has taken a bit of a beating in the last two years since my last visit; the wear and tear was definitely noticeable on the property.

In each case, I've only stayed 1 night and left in the morning, mainly due to late night flight arrivals and me not wanting to spend so much for a night in a luxury hotel on the first night when I wouldn't fully be able to utilize a nice resort.

Rooms here are basic and relatively clean but I noticed that there really doesn't seem to be any such thing as a "smoking" and "non-smoking" room here. Pretty much anything seems to go. My room was pretty clean on the surface (with the exception of the bathroom which was a bit filmy with soap in the shower area) but the room smelled like someone had been smoking in it when I first arrived and the smell covered up with air freshener. Aircon helped a bit but the air still felt a bit dirty.

The beds here are actually quite comfortable and for the price you can't really complain too much.

Service here is decent; some staff are super great, others are less helpful and can't seem to be bothered. There's also a strange amount of people that seem to loiter around the lobby area and on the street near the lobby. Whether or not they were staff I couldn't tell as most were not wearing the t-shirts with the hotel name that most staff seem to wear.

Pool is really just a small plunge pool that looked cloudy and not something I would want to swim in, so if you are envisioning a pool with some lounge chairs to chill at (there isn't even any pool furniture from what I recall) you probably will be left disappointed.

Bottom line; this place is good for a night or two in my opinion but anything beyond that I wouldn't personally go for. If you just need a place to sleep for a couple days and that's it, this place should suit you just fine. And for the price, it is incredibly good value.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank SQ452

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I suggested you to stay in this hotel if you want to rest and spend most of your time in your hotels (better if you're with you're partner) with a minimum budget. Far enough from the beach (walking 15 minutes) and very silent when the nights come. The price is good ($35 - I've stayed in this hotels for one night with my 5 of my friends, and we stayed in 2 rooms), the designs was simple and comfortable. I remember the cute concept of their bathroom, feelin like you're somewhere in a mission of adventure. They has a swimming pool, but..... really it was really small, like they tried to made the small space which left to be usefull.

Room Tip: Better to stayed on the first floor. So you can easily go and call the receptionist if you need a he...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Firdasn
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed for 4 nights on arrival. Location... well, not as close to the beach and shops as you would hope. Quite hard to find, in fact the taxi from airport let us down in the wrong hotel next door! I think the name was "Grand Kuta". Rather grand that we'd hope that we've booked that one instead of The Grey. But overall, staff are friendly and helpful. We've managed to book a tour guide and driver through them.

Walking into the room, it's like what most other reviewers have mentioned: straight into the bathroom. Then through another sliding door, you'll get to the bedroom with really basic settings. A king-sized bed, tv set (no dvd players) with minimal channels selections and a tiny fridge. Hairdryer and a kettle is provided for convenience too. Yes, room is quite dark unless you open the curtain to invite the full sunlight in. Night time, unfortunately, have to unplugged some lightings to give way to charging battery and boiling water etc. Bed is quite comfirtable though, and we got extra blanket when asked for it. Air-con worked fine, but there's no water heater in the shower.

Would say you can get better bargain with better attractions elsewhere. Which explains why there weren't many guests seen during our stayed. Was told by staff that you could take a 20 mins stroll down the beach, but we never tried. Swimming pool is quite small I doubt that anyone would be tempted to soak in it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Memphia77
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I spent one night here, intending to spend two. Very cool modern simple design. Free wifi worked in room. TV with several channels. Fridge and pot to boil water, hair dryer, shampoo and body soap. Air con was ok-- not powerful but worked ok throughout the night.

Very Comfy bed!!! Had a room on the 2nd floor with balcony. I had a regular door to enter the room, but after entering, you are immediately in the toilet and shower area! Next there was a sliding wood door to open and then enter the studio style room. I found it a bit dark-- dim lights which look nice but aren't good to read by. In the day, the sliding door to the balcony is the only window light for the room. If the curtains are open, you don't have much privacy as it faces direct to the street below and anyone sitting across or in cars parked or in the house across can look in. Be nice if they added some sheer drapes to be able to open for light and still get some privacy.

I had issues with my shower water not ever getting hot. Not cold, not quite warm either.

Also be nice if more plug outlets, as you must unplug a light in order to use the hot water pot or charge your batteries, etc.

Room was clean enough, but still had some tiny ants in the bathroom and someone's hair around toilet area. Towels were well worn and need replacing. Bedding was clean but had stains/ spots which happen with wear/time. Pool is small but nice to just sit and cool off in, however it is right next to the reception area. Sadly no lounge chairs to relax in by the pool, although no space maybe.

The staff was very welcoming, friendly and hospitable. Seemed to be more Indonesian guests.

For me, I found the location inconvenient since I was walking or having to take a taxi. It was pretty quiet at night. It took me 30-45 min to walk to the beach ( Double 6) along a busy road with too many motorbikes making it impossible to cross the road at times. If you have transport it would be 5-10 min. to the beach. With transport, it's easy to go to Kuta or Seminyak since you are right in the middle but just farther back from the beach areas.

Across from The Grand Kuta which is next door, you can find a Mc Donald's, Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery, and a Japanese restaurant. There was also a convenience store around that same area.

I would only stay here again if I had my own transport. Otherwise for the same price, or cheaper you can find nice places closer to cafes, shopping/ beach areas.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ozzykhk
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The hotel has unique design with simple and minimalism. The room is clean with big bed, shower room in front of the toilet is the first part of the room when we enter in, and balcony outside. Wondering this hotel would be perfect if the location is in front of the beach. The location quite far from the beach, so maybe you need a ride to go to the closest beach. But the location is very strategic, right to the city (sunset road, denpasar, dll) and left to the beaches (kuta, seminyak, doublesix). People there are very nice, only the swimming pool is poor and they dont have breakfast or food service.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Like the title of my review, the room rate is very reasonable. So much so that I booked a room to myself instead of bunking in with the rest of my party.

The hotel was a little hard to hunt down because it's tucked away on a quiet street, our driver was going round and round till we finally found it. Because of it's location, our stay was a tranquil one. There's a food square just across the road some 3 minutes walk away which has an American restaurant, McDonalds, Starbucks, a Japanese restaurant and somemore that I couldn't recall. If you walk down the road, you will come across a nice standalone spa as well.

Sadly, we did not get to experience the spa because we arrived on the eve of Nyepi Day - Bali practically comes to a halt on this festival as the Hindus observe a day of silence. So if you are planning to travel in March, be sure to check if your trip falls on Nyepi day. All restaurants close early to prepare for Nyepi which happens from midnight onwards, the spa was fully booked till 5pm on Nyepi eve and closed thereafter... you get the drift.

Back to the hotel - room was clean, comfortable and tastefully done. I did not have mosquito problems like the rest of the reviewers. My room was on the ground level so I had an open shower. The pool is small and looks slightly murky so we did not risk a dip in it.

If I don't intend to splurge on a villa on my next Bali visit, I probably will stay here again.

Room Tip: I liked my ground floor room with the open shower concept.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank taraonhols
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Good budget choice if you don't mind taking taxis or mototaxis.
Stayed there for 2 nights mostly because of the price but also because we didn't plan to spend much time in the hotel (diving every day) so the amenities didn't matter much. There is a very small pool. The rooms are "designed" but unless you are into this kind of stuff, it doesn't really matter. To enter the room you use a sliding glass door which is also the only window so in this respect your privacy is compromised unless you keep the curtains closed all the time. Perhaps 2nd floor is better (I don't know, didn't check).
Taxis are cheap in Bali but the hotel is located a bit far. The staff is all young guys and they to their best. There is a little corner store on the main road.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends