“Degustation Delight in Bali”
Review of Mejekawi

Ranked #27 of 583 Restaurants in Seminyak
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

As I like to consider myself somewhat of a foodie, searching for a great restaurant whilst traveling anywhere generally falls between booking my flights and sorting my accommodation... Sure like anyone that has visited Bali in the last 10 years, I had visited KuDeTa on many occasions... After all it is a Bali institution of fine food, wine, service, music and all set on the sunset coast of the beautiful Seminyak beach... What an amazing surprise to find they have converted the upstairs bar to an amazing degustation restaurant and what an absolute cracker at that. Having enjoyed the world class degustation menus at both of Mozaic Ubud and The New Mozaic Beach Club the degustation at Mejekawi was simply stunning, the menu well considered, the ingredients fresh, the combination of flavours delicious... 13 courses of absolute bliss... I can't recommend it highly enough if you are visiting Bali and enjoy fine dining and fantastic value... "we will be back"

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We went for a 40th bday celebration (5 courses) staff were super accommodating on dishes that some of the girls didn't want. They explained the menu in detail & it was all delicious. Chocolate soufflé to die for. Kudeta rocks it's cocktails, atmosphere, food & staff - hard to beat!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked in for the 12 course degustation with matching wines. On arrival we decided to only go for the 5 course. The wines were nice. Food was not 'wow' as one would expect, especially for the price! $330 for two - a lot of money in Bali. I would not return. Sorry Ku De Ta. Service was good.

1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We would rate this as in the same class as Mugaritz, El Celler de Can Roca, Arpege, Per Se, Bouley, Rockpooke, Tetsuyas and Attica. The food was highly innovative, the ingredients top notch and the staff easily amongst the best in the international hospitality industry. For example, cigar on the balcony with one of three first courses while watching sunset - no problems. Every staff member memorizing your name - no problems. Making sure dinner in 6 days time will have a different 12 courses - no problems. If only others in the hospitality industry were tgat hospitable! What a great restaurant!

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This is your classic flip-flop fine dining, catering for semi casual beach-goers who want something a little special. The food is fabulous, especially for the price, and worth spending the extra cash in comparison to the restaurant downstairs. I loved the elements of fusion and enjoyed the meal very much! There were two major downsides that unfortunately impacted the experience.

We chose the 12 course as our friends said they regretted the 5 courses as they definitely wanted more; it was ridiculously too much food. It seemed like they have done away with their 7 course option which would have been more reasonable. The delicious and generous portions were appreciated but distracted a bit from the degustation - I remember struggling a bit when I still had two mains and four desserts to go! I don't think they changed the portions of the food between the two options, judging by our neighbouring table.

The service was probably the most warm and welcoming I've experienced so far in Bali. I would have rated this place 5 stars, I absolutely enjoyed the food even though it was too much as I was able to eat at my own pace anyway. However we had about 4 different wait staff attending to us and they asked us the same questions over and over throughout the 3-4 hours so it did start to feel a bit too much. Also need a bit of a system to differentiate between still and sparkling water - I had to tell 5 different staff not to pour still water into my sparkling and again, asking the same questions. All of these are first world problems, I know! In my view, service is one of the key differentiators in fine dining and if they are marketing themselves at that level, the little details count.