“Beautiful Balinese Hospitality”

Ranked #39 of 146 Hotels in Seminyak
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful Balinese Hospitality”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This hotel is very different with the other hotels I've ever visited, real Balinese hospitality service. Even this hotel was old but it has tremendous appeal, everything is very themed with Bali. The garden looks so lush with beautiful garden arrangement. Cleanliness was good, rooms are spacious, breakfast fantastic, and the staff are very friendly. We can easily find the convenience store and also some restaurant near the hotel. Spa at the hotel is very cheap, I tried Balinese massage and it was the best massage I've ever tried. I will come back to stay here again, and would recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StuartCollin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Nice Hotel ( especially the garden and the swimming pool ) however the rooms are average in the main buildings ( good size but a bit dirty : the sheets are full of stains, the bathroom was old and not really welcoming ... ).
Good 3 star hotel but don't deserve another one.

Room Tip: book a bungalow instead of a room in one of the main buildings.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We just returned from Bali. Our first four days were at The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, so arriving at Vila Lumbung could not have been any different. Vila Lumbung is extremely quiet considering it is just off the main road. The pool area is of average resort size, but large enough considering it is only a small resort. We stayed in an upstairs bungalow which was very traditional and lovely. Large area and the bathroom was adequate. Clean and traditional aswell.. The restaurant buffett breakfast was fine. Fruit, pancakes, eggs, bacon - your typical breakfast. Food at the restaurant for dinner in which we only ate once was really good. It was around $6 for Nasi Goreng which was one of the yummiest i've ever had. A small walk away is a little cake and coffee shop called 'Bali Catering Company'. They sold amazing cakes, biscuits, Macaroons for 80cents, pizza etc. Sooo cheap and good coffee too. Further down is a few great restaurants/bars with cheap meals also. They heart of seminyak is a bit of a hike in the heat, but a taxi ride is only $1.50. Shopping we found good at their flea market, otherwise a $5 cab ride to Kuta is the way to go. Beach is lovely, but also a bit of walk from the vila lumbung. Only way in is thorough a place called Ku De Ta in which they will check your bags first. Not sure if we will stay again as I am more of a resort person, but it was cheap enough and overall good for the price. Think the sun lounges need a bit of a revamp. Oh, we had a massage at the in house spa and it was great. Just $16 for an hour....

2 Thank Simone S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I'm sitting in the lobby waiting for my lift - and thought I'd waste time by coming here and saying how seriously awesome this place is :)

Upsides: There are so many! I'm only in a 'superior room' (not a Villa) but it's well appointed, the bed is comfy, the aircon is awesome and it's a great size. The bathroom isn't spotlessly clean but I'm not too fussy about that stuff - definitely nothing I'd complain about. I love the Balinese feel to the whole place, the open-air lobby is lovely, as is the open-air restaurant where breakfast is served. The pool area is probably smaller than I'd expected but it's a double-level pool with a swim-up bar and a waterfall. There's plenty of lounges and it doesn't feel crowded or noisy.

The staff are really friendly and welcoming, and everything I've needed has been attended to straight away. Breakfast wasn't the hugest spread for an Asian hotel but there's little pancakes, fruits, cold meats, cheese, make-to-order eggs (I had a delicious omlette this morning), juice and hot Asian-style food. I'm going to have some Spa treatments tomorrow so can't comment on that yet, but I did go for a wander up the street and found the prices to be heaps more reasonable than others out there.

Location is good, at the top end of the street, I went for a stroll on foot this morning (beware, there are no footpaths and some corners can be a bit nerve-wracking!) and I when I got back to the Lumbung sanctuary I breathed a little sigh of relief. You wouldn't even know there's crazy traffic outside.

Downsides: The WiFi is free, but reception from my room is dodgy - hence me sitting at the computer in the lobby ;) The safe in the room is also a bit finicky and once I went out thinking it was locked but it wasn't - this was my fault though, and I'm not actually worried about safety here as it's all pretty secure with staff at the gate monitoring comings and goings.

Overall I'd really rate this hotel, especially with what I paid for it. It's not 5* luxury but I actually prefer this style of hotel over pompous plushness - so if you can grab a room or a villa at a good price, go for it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank star_236
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have been to a couple of four and five star hotels before and I was told that Vila Lumbung Hotel is a four star hotel but this is not what I was expecting. Rooms are very old and dirty, towels and bed sheets are for a million years ago and above all this hotel is not safe at all! The first day we arrived here, we put a lot of cash is the safety box of our room and after 4-5 days we realized that we have been robbed, the worst part is that this hotel is not taking the responsibility for what has happened and just asked us to talk to the police! Unprofessionalism of the manager was even more upsetting. We were told by the hotel's staff that we are not the first couple that has been robbed and I believe we are not the last. I thought people have the right to know about my story before choosing the hotel. I have the police report to confirm my story.

Room Tip: do not choose this hotel
5 Thank MASOUD H
HVL469404, Manager at Hotel Vila Lumbung, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear Masoud,

Warmest Greeting from Hotel Vila Lumbung!

First of all thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, and we are apology for the inconvenience caused you during your stay, in regards of you comment for our security and service, we had concern it and follow up accordingly, we are on processing to increase our service and doing our regular maintain for all of our room..
And for the money robbed, we are so sorry to heard that, as procedure we had investigate this case trough the staff and with you, and as procedure too, we had report to the police about your problem, the police has done their report and there is no prove that our staff robbed your money trough your safety box, our staff has been working with Hotel Vila Lumbung for almost more than 10 years, and we are sure that our staff doing their job as procedure. However by this case we had inform our security team to do their check to all hotel area and doing body check more deeply regularly, It is positive feed back to us for increase our future service and increase our security service.
Once again thank you and kind regards,

The management.
Once again thank you an
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed for three nights in August. The room we stayed in was comfortable but tired. There was a damp smell in the room on the first day, which we attributed to the duvet not being completely dry. because the staff change all linen each day and the smell was gone the next day. The hotel is situated in a quiet location with an excellent pool area. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The beach is a 10 minute walk away. The roads aren't very pedestrian friendly and taxis are cheap and plentiful.

1 Thank Orrca
Adelaide
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My family and I have just returned from Bali. We were going to split up our stay between hotels, but decided to have the whole stay at Vila Lumbung as we hadn't been back to Bali for 14 years and believed there would be plenty to do around the area to keep us all busy during our stay. Well I was right!!! The accommodation was fantastic!!! We stayed in a Delux Bungalow downstairs and asked for one near the pool. It was great!! I could sit at the 6 seater table outside on the verandah and use our laptop with no problems while having the lovely view over the two level pool area. I could also keep an eye on our son while he enjoyed the pool. We had a two bedroom Bungalow and we found the second bedroom a bit small, and lacked a bit with regards to storage. The outside bathroom was just like what is on the website and was lovely and the room was always kept very clean and tidy by the cleaners. The staff were always helpful and they spoke English quite well. The grounds of the hotel were just lovely and had that real Bali feel. Very tropical with lots of wildlife to be seen including squirrels, frogs and little geckos everywhere. Our son had a ball trying to catch them. The buffet breakfast was always different and just lovely HEAPS OF FOOD!. There was always the usual chef cooking up the custom omelet etc and also freshly made pancakes, fresh fruit, yoghurt, hot foods etc etc etc. The coffee was great too. We never ate at the hotel for tea or lunch as there were great restaurants just down the road within walking distance. We loved Bonita's which is just down to the left as you leave the entrance of Vila Lumbung. Very cheap, great food, lovely atmosphere and drinks very cheap too. Look around as some of the more upmarket restaurants are close by like Ku De Ta, Potato Head, but they are pricey, although they were always packed. Good for a special night out! Also if you walk to the right there are some great restaurants within walking distance. Just look for other people eating there and if you see some locals there also, you know it should be good! I also booked the Spa treatments at the Vila and they were all just lovely, and very cheap. I arranged for the Ultimate Spa Package for around $65,00 aus and this had 6 treatments included, most 90min each !! The Spa is open until 8.00pm so sometimes when we got back to the Vila, I just rang and they fitted me in right away. Very nice before heading out to dinner. Costs by taxi... It costs around $3.50 to get into Kuta by taxi or around $1 to $2 aus to get into the main strip of Seminyak eg Seminyak Square and you can walk and walk and walk from there all the way into Kuta!! Which we did! You can hire a driver for no more than $35 aus for all day including fuel. We did this several times including all day up in and around Ubud and another day up to Kintamani and the surrounding areas. The buffet restaurant up at Kintamani was not very good at all. I think there are other places to eat, but this is where the driver told us to go. Maybe he gets a kickback? .. All in all, Vila Lumbung was just lovely and a very safe area and we would seriously consider staying there again next time we visit Bali.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and upgrade to a bungalow by the pool 8b or 9b (ground level) or 8a 9a (upper level...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family