“Chilled out”

Hotel Vila Lumbung
Ranked #43 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
“Chilled out”
Reviewed 17 October 2010

When you arrive at Vila Lumbung you are greeted with warm smiles, and this continues with eveyone we came accross, be it restaurant staff or ground staff. I like to low rise garden setting resorts which have a big pool and a swim up bar (look if I need to keep an eye on the kids I want to be able to have a bevvy at the same time!). We had and an adjoining room on the ground floor and this I would reccommend as you enter off the verandah area with direct access to the gardens or pool (Rms103,104,105 or 106 seem the best). I have seen the villas and look great but to be honest, your never in your room anyway so get what we did and you will be fine. If there is a big group, say 6-8, take a villa (18a,b,c) and it would be more economical, it has 3 doubles and 2 singles so good for fams with kids.
There were many mosquitos and the hotel sprayed the rooms one day but they are peresistent litter biters (but it is apporaching wet season so their may be more now than other months). I would strongly reccomend aerogard and use it every evening, even before bed as we all know kids get bitten bad no matter which county you are in. Also spray your room whenever you leave. The rooms are basic but fine and the shower head his hand held but for AUD 110 per night, who is complaining. Just remind cleaners to change bed sheets, not that you should have to but we noticed this on a couple occasions. The restaurant brekky was fine, the ususal stuff, bacon , chef cooking omletees etc and we were very full each morning, lunch pool menu were great, no complaints there (about $10), local beer bintang-but drink it slowly until you get used to it or it will go thorugh you ($3.50) heineken ($5), cocktails (expensive for bali at $10). Happy hour 30% off 4-6pm. Still, when you really look at it it was very affordable given ehat you pay in a hotel in Aus. I would like to see the staff wander around the pool a bit more for service but you so relaxed there it doesnt really bother you.
There is a kids slide and waterfalll they jump in and out of, but no lifegurad so be onto it. I reccomemend a massage, for $12 how can you go wrong, just go to the lady direct, dont book through reception.
All in all you go to Bali to chill out, the balinese are a very relaxed lot and this is evident in Vila Lumbung.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Chillin66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My husband and I have recently returned from our 33rd trip to Bali where we stayed at Hotel Vila Lumbung for 5 nights before moving on to Ubud and Sanur. We had stayed there before on 5 occasions, albeit some years ago, and have also stayed at the original Villa Lumbung next door before the owner, Mr Bernard, built Hotel Vila Lumbung. We have recommended the hotel to many friends in the past however after this stay they have lost us forever we will not stay there again nor recommend.

We booked directly with the hotel and received confirmation of an upstairs Deluxe Bungalow US $170 (high season rate) we had advised we would not be arriving until after 10pm another confirmation "not a problem" even told us our room No. 12A.

We checked in at 10pm as advised so you can imagine our surprise when we were told our room was not available tonight however they would put us in a similar room and move us to 12A after 2pm the next day. Not much we could do just meant we could not unpack and had to hang around the next day until we could move rooms ...we were getting a similar room to what we had paid for so not a drama......... WRONG!
We were completely gobsmacked when the so called "similar room" just happened to be the second bedroom of one of their multiple bedroom bungalows! We opened our curtains to find a couple enjoying a quiet Bintang right in front of our window and they had every right to be there it was their terrace we did not have one.
Now we were not happy! So my husband went back to reception where he was told what we long suspected they had given our room away, the hotel was full and there was nothing else to be had.
The downstairs room was exactly that a "room" ....no terrace, no Bale day bed and full of mosquitoes the floor was gritty it had not been swept properly. It smelt musty it was obvious they were not expecting to use it so off my husband went to reception again. Sorry,sorry we will give you a US $20 discount...$20 making the "room" US $150 I don't think so! Oh and they gave us a can of spray after spraying the room the white bed cover was polka dot with dead mosquitoes. Now it was very late nothing more we could do we would take it up with them again when checking out....big mistake!

So the hotel in brief:
Rooms: are a little tired compared to prevoius stay. Bed linen stained and towels a bit thin on quality. Room clean and spacious. Lighting poor.
Breakfast: is ordinary however we knew that, the staff in the reastaurant are very friendly however love a bit of a chat so it was hard to attract their attention for a forgotton egg dish and tea refill etc.
Grounds and the pool area: are beautiful however it is a real pity some days the music was blaring from a speaker in the pool spoiling the tranquil ambiance. Cocktails are very expensive, except at happy hour, and they are not that good.
The hotel is kid friendly: (and there were heaps of them) A slippery dip into the pool however it is rather deep and no shallow end for the little ones. Unfortunately for us and the others relaxing by the pool one morning there were 3 out of control boys under 12 running amok with no parents to be seen for a couple of hours. We actually saw the parents walk back in with back packs and shopping completely oblivious to the havoc their children had caused constantly "bombing" the pool. Hotel staff should have spoken to the kids. One good thing there were no Pool Chair Hogs during our stay however could be a problem as there not that many chairs.
Location: that's why we stayed there to savour the wonderful restaurants close by. However It was a bit difficult walking along the busy roads (times have changed since we last stayed no rice paddies which is sad) as there are no footpaths so you need to have your wits about you to avoid the traffic, open drains and roadworks.

So time to check out and my husband expressed his dissatisfaction with the price of the "room" for the first night he felt it should be further reduced. The lovely receptionist called a Duty Manager whom we had not seen before. From the first second he was quiet rude turning the whole thing around blaming us for not addressing the issues before check out time. Voices were raised he kept telling us this was a deluxe room, maybe the whole bungalow was Deluxe but this was a second bedroom. He never once
asked what we thought we should pay just said we had our $20 discount and that was all he could do. We know our friend only paid $90 for an upstairs Deluxe room low season even that would have been outrageous for this room.
No point we were getting no where so I told the DM that this is really sad for me as we have had a long association with the hotel and now we would not be coming back to which he responded "I'm not sad you are not coming back"! We were absolutely astounded as were the staff by the looks on there faces of sheer embarrassment as we had had an excellent rapour with them over the five day there was absolutely no reason for him to say that. So much for customer relations!
Hotel Vila Lumbung is not the hotel it was there are plenty of wonderful hotel/villas to stay at in Bali this is not one of them.

10 Thank mimifroufrou
Reviewed 3 October 2010

We stayed in the ground floor of a two-level bungalow, with friends up the top. This worked quite well for us. The deluxe family bungalow is not as spacious as I expected - there is really no living room and the kitched is poorly equipped with nowhere to sit and eat - but it has been decorated with some charm and was cool and dark in the main room, so good for sleeping. The main bed is huge and very comfortable (the kids slept in a double day bed in a small room you could shut off from the main room.)

The pool area is lovely and the breakfast was good. The location is pretty convenient to some great restaurants (Eny's warung right outside the gate on the left serves cheap good food).

The staff were very responsive. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2010

My partner and I have just return from a week on Bali where we stayed at Hotel Vila Lumbung (it was booked for us by an agent). I have thought about this review over a little while because although the Hotel has shortcomings its not too bad for the money.

The Hotel is in an excellent location in Seminyak. It's removed a little bit from all the main action, which is however only a short walk or taxi ride away, and makes it a quiet place to stay. There are a number of great bars and restaurants only a stones throw away. Pettinget beach, which connects to Legian and Seminyak beaches is again only a short walk away.

A number of little things however hold the Hotel back from being great. We were upgraded upon arrival to a family size bungalow, which was nice, but this room turned out to be only accessible down an alley at the back of the complex where construction was being undertaken. This was somewhat annoying in trying to access the room past workers and equipment while walking through the mud.

The room itself was extremely large with its own kitchenette, however, it was very tired and in need of renovation/updating. The room was constantly invaded by mosquitoes, however, the cleaning staff gave us insect spray in order to keep them under control. Although not a huge issue for us the linen avalavailable iable in the room each day always seemed to stained and old (funnily enough there was a card beside the basin in the bathroom instructing us not to take the towels and ask reception to purchase some if we liked them so much).

Although the room came with a free breakfast each day we only ate it twice. The breakfast food really wasn't that great. Thank god for the Gourmet Cafe across the road. The food and coffee there is awesome!

The whole hotel, although having potential is all just a little bit tired and basic. it really could be an awesome accommodation option but needs some extra money spent on it to get it up to speed.

Having outlined some of the negative issues the hotel really was a pleasant place to stay. The pool is fantastic! A split level pool with swim up bar. This little garden oasis in the middle of a hot Balinese day was tremendous!

The service of the staff is great. The staff go out of their way to assist and make your stay as pleasant as possible.

As I said earlier although not beach front the location is excellent.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to others to stay but you need to be aware of a number of limitations. If you are looking for a 5 star resort then go elsewhere. However, if you are after a solid, yet cheaper, stay on Bali then the Hotel Vila Lumbung is for you.

1 Thank Bewhirly
Glasgow
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights in the middle of April 2010. It was the best hotel I stayed at throughout my 4 week trip.

The hotel was out of the way of any roads and was in a very quiet location. The staff are friendly and welcome you with a cocktail. We arrived early however they kept our luggage for us and let us use the pool while we waited for our room to be ready.

The hotel consists of individual two story villas or rooms in two buildings. We stayed in one of the rooms which was massive. The king size bed was comfy and had a lovely balcony outside. The bathroom was nice too. There was however a strong smell of sewage in our room which either left a day later or we just got used to it.

On arrival, one of the staff comes to your room with a fruit bowl.

The pool was split level and was lovely with a pool side bar, waterfall and cave. There was also a jacuzzi.

There was a constant play of music which wasn't too loud and added to the secludedness.

The breakfast in the morning was ok however not the best.

I would definitely stay here again as it was great value for money.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank benas
East Coast, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2010

This was our 17th trip to Bali & our 8th stay at Vila Lumbung. When we first stayed at Vila Lumbung it had just opened & was set amidst small houses & rice fields however anyone knowing Bali now, realises it is now set in the 'chic' area of Seminyak which boasts both upmarket shopping & dining. Vila Lumbung is within easy walking distance of these attractions yet far enough away to still be quiet & a real haven for those needing somewhere to relax & unwind.
It has a wonderful pool area, great restaurant that has just been extended with a top quality menu & prices that are not over the top as some hotels. The bungalow rooms are huge & a real slice of Balinese architecture whilst the new hotel style rooms are still quite big & comfortable. Any room in the complex is no further than 50 metres from the pool, restaurant or reception areas. Once inside the hotel grounds there is absolutely no outside noise to hinder your relaxation. If travelling in a family group the bungalows have a huge day bed which can be made up for 2 or maybe even three kids of an evening. The hotel has a lovely 2 tiered swimming pool with swim up bar, waterfall & turbo pool to relax those aching muscles after a hard day shopping or touring.
However Vila Lumbung's real strength lay with it's staff. From Senior Management right through to the gardeners & room staff, they are so genuinely friendly & ever so helpful. These people are not 'Kuta Cowboys' but the Balinese real deal. Anyone who has visited Bali will understand what I am talking about & anyone wishing to visit Bali will hopefully enjoy a real Bali experience of mixing with these wonderfully kind & gentle race of people.
Vila Lumbung is somewhere I would recommend to anyone needing a quiet haven that is close to all the action of Seminyak, Legian & Kuta. There is also many great restaurants within an easy stroll of the hotel & these range from moderately priced with great food to those at the high pricing end of the restaurant scene.
Vila Lumbung could probably do with a few more pool beds for really busy times & a little better variation in the music piped around the restaurant & pool area & they are the only criticisms I can offer. If anyone would like to contact me about this property I would be only too happy to try & help with any questions.

4 Thank banteng
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We have stayed in Bali at least 9 times but this was our first time at the Vila Lumbung, where we stayed for 18 nights. We loved this hotel, we booked an upstairs bungalow (10A) which was huge. The bathroom is huge with a free standing shower (no climbing over the bath). Some on this site have complained about the poor quality towels, but our were lovely and fresh every day. The lighting in the room was poor but having read about this before I left, I took my book light and had no problem reading in the evening. The buffet breakfast was very good (some people on trip advisor complained about it but we thought it was good) The grounds were lovely but make sure that you don't get booked into 1A as it is very noisy as it is near the reception and the car park. We requested not to be in that area (after reading advice on this website) but they still put us in that room, after spending 1 night there and not getting any sleep, we requested a move and were put in 10A. I would recommend 10A or 11A out of the upstairs bungalows. The pool was lovely but deep and being only 5ft I could only stand on my toes, but that didn't really bother me. There is a big step area for children to play on and a slippery slide into the deep section. The staff were wonderful and friendly especially at breakfast. They were always happy to talk to us and meet out needs. We booked into the Friday night restaurant meal and wouldn't do that again, too expensive and the entertainment was terrible. Walking out around the streets is a bit of a challenge because there are no footpaths and there are open drains but we managed and found some back lanes that took us to the money changer on Kerobokan road and also straight to Seminyak village. The restaurants around the hotel were good and we managed to eat almost somewhere different every night although we found favorites to go back to a few times. A restaurant called Neno was really nice, vegetarian (we are not vegetarians) but the food was excellent and very cheap. We got a huge round bread scooped out with a creamy mushroom soup inside for 19000 RP on special, normally 24000RP which was delicious. We went there 3 times, everything on the menu was freshly made and tasted great. It is located up near the internet shop (which only charged 13000 RP for an hour) The Lumbung had a DVD player in the room and so we went 2 doors down and bought cheap DVDs and watched a movie every night. The advice I received on this site was correct, as the hotel fills up there is not enough beds around the pool, our first week there we had no problems but eventually the people who like to put their towels on the beds and then go out for a few hours arrived. These people are so annoying, if only the staff were a bit more pushy and told them they had to remove their towels when they leave the hotel for the day but the staff seem intimidated by them. Their pool lounges were quite comfortable not the wooden kind.Some of the issues mentioned in the reviews are just typical Bali problems in hotels. They are a very relaxed people and don't worry if there is some mold or peeling paint. In such a hot climate these things are a challenge to them. Apart from that issue we loved this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple