“Beach proximity, affordability and character”
Review of Hotel Puri Cendana

Hotel Puri Cendana
Ranked #86 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
Netherlands
“Beach proximity, affordability and character”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I have to admit I loved this place. This is exactly the kind of hotel you probably want in Bali: it's close to the beach, affordable, and oozing Balinese character.

It's only about 150 metres from the beach. There are only two hotels between this one and the beach. What more needs to be said about that? To be honest, the chances are good that staying at a hotel right on the beach in this part of Bali is out of your price range. This is as close as it gets for most of us. (I should add that the beach is usually a mess in the rainy season when the winds are easterly, around January to March. Better to come at another time. This is true for all of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak.)

This hotel is not expensive, especially for what you get. Most hotels near this one are considerably more expensive. There's one exception: Grandmas Hotel next door, which is about the same price and yet brand new. Which hotel you prefer depends on whether you prefer a grand, old, slightly dishevelled Balinese dame (Puri Cendana) or a slick new easyhotel (Grandmashotel). To me it's a no brainer.

Puri Cendana consists of six two-storey buildings constructed in Balinese style. The property is not large, but the grounds are tropical, verdant, exotic, serene and filled with Balinese touches that never let you forget where you are. You feel yourself getting calmer just walking to your room. Flowers, frangipani, hibiscus, star fruit, mangos, coconut, birds, butterflies, snails, shrines, incense, statues. Duelling house cats. The fattest dogs you've ever seen. Is this a hotel?

The two rooms I stayed in were identical. Spacious, Balinese design, cool, dark, a little primitive, high ceilings, stone, wood, Balinese art and furniture. The bed has a mosquito net, but I didn't really notice a mosquito problem. Wooden bolts with padlocks rather than modern locks. (Should I worry about that?? Nah.) This is not a modern complex. It was built some time ago, by people who care about Bali.

The bathroom is a surprise: wooden doors, huge, sunken, with glass walls and a view of your own private courtyard garden. And the tub may have been the biggest tub you'll ever have seen. Big enough for the two of you and your two kids as well. So big you have to take a set of stairs to get into it. You have to DISCOVER this bathroom and it doesn't always do what you want. The window doesn't quite close. You have to wait for the hot water. The tub is, well, too big too fill. You have to sympathise with the cleaning staff.

Aircon worked really well, surprisingly for such a big space. Modern TV. There were no English stations in my first room. Turns out you have to pay a little extra for international TV, which explains why I switched rooms after a few days. I tried to hold out as long as I could. Once I switched though, I wondered whether it had been worth it. There were only about 5 English stations anyway.

The restaurant served a standard, unvaried breakfast, with three different options. Not a buffet, not luxurious, but it was enough and it was tasty. Fresh bread and fresh fruit.

I had quite a few meals at this restaurant because it was convenient, inexpensive, standard fare and I could eat it around the pool. Mostly western food, but some Indonesian. The service was usally quite good. I liked the fruit shakes.

The pool area was small and not large enough for the hotel. But most people seemed to be enjoying it. It suited the rest of the hotel and gave the place a resort-like feel. When the weather was nice it was the perfect place to read a book and cool off. They even had a massage set up in the back and it seemed to be popular.

The hotel is located on a main road leading to the beach. It's busy up to the hotel, but then from the hotel to the beach it's fairly quiet. There are many convenience stores, restaurants and bars nearby. Laundry, bank machines, etc. It's all there. If you walk up to Legian Road you get to that part of Seminyak that has some of the best upscale clothing shops in Bali. The pedestrian infrastructure (like the roads in most of Indonesia) is not good. I got tired of this walk after a while.

Nearby there is an outstanding internet place. The hotel has wifi around the pool at the hotel, but it was simply much easier and more comfortable to go to this this cheap, air conditioned internet place.

There's no gym at the hotel, but there's one at Seaside (walk south along the beach; about 100 m past Arunya) and of course Hammerhead is about a 25 minute walk. I never did find a lap pool in the area. Running along the beach is quite doable at low tide.

This is the kind of hotel I really like. I feel fortunate to have stumbled onto it, because getting a good but affordable hotel in Bali is no easy matter. I think independent, budget-minded, unfussy travellers who like idiosyncratic hotels would be happiest here. This is not a hotel with package holidayers. It's too small for that. It's not really a place to come for one or two nights. It takes a little while to get used to it. If you want a big resort or a modern hotel, keep looking.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
11 Thank zwerf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2011

My partner and I just returned from Bali & stayed at Puri Cendana. We have travelled to Bali before & stayed at different accommodations. We were very impressed with the resort. It's not the wow factor but after a few days felt very comfortable staying there. The location is excellent. Very close to the beach & walking distance to the shops which was a great advantage for my partner's parents who also came. We had a deluxe room which was upstairs & downstairs. We had a look at the superior room which was only 1 level probably more suited to us.
Food at restaurant was very good. We enjoyed all our meals there. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The massage hut was excellent & we had massages everyday! It was so convenient to just walk a few steps instead of walking to the main street for a massage. The girls were very friendly and massages were excellent. Recommended.
The resort has beautiful gardens & what we really liked about it was the fact it was small and not one of these huge hotel complexes. It was really typical balinese style which we look for when travelling to Bali.
We will again stay at Puri Cendana when we again visit Bali next year.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sandcall
Pontedera, Italy
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This hotel consists of various buildings immersed in a wonderful garden, with ground and first floor rooms.There is a small but very nice pool in the garden and a restourant open on the road located in front of the hotel. The romms and the restourant are made and equipped with with typical balinese wood structures and pieces of furniture.
The upper rooms have a small terrace over the garden. I stayed in one of them (a suite) for two days.
The room is very nice: you enter in a spacious living room with a desk, a wardrobe and armchairs and sofa around a low table. At the same level is located the bathroom, very clean, with essential services.
There is a wood staircase to a overhead space where is the wonderful bed and another nice desk. Air conditionig system, television, satellite connection are available.
The service is excellent, the food is good, the hotel people is friendly and helpful: a positive note in particular for Mrs. Dewi, pleasant and efficient as well as nice.
The quality/price is excellent.
The location is good, close to the beach (100 m) and to the shopping and night-life center.
I suggest this hotel to who is searching for a relaxing athmosphere, but does not renounce to the dynamic experience of meeting people and enjoing the night life.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank luca0060
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Unfortunately I could not stay at my first choice of hotel as it was full,after wandering around in the heat Puri Cendana popped up. At 595,000 rupiah per night I thought was pretty steep. My first room (twin) was dated, smelly, dirty and full of mosquitos! The nets hanging over the bed look as though they haven't been washed for 20 years. The 2nd day I had to move to a double room as the twin was booked, this was a slightly better than the first. The staff in the restaurant were lazy, uninterested and inattentive. Breakfast was OK but charged me for water as I didn't want the horrible orange juice that came with the breakfast. It was very close to the beach and they provided a fridge and A/C. Now in Sanur I wish I had stayed here all along.

• Stayed November 2011
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I spent 3 days at Puri Cendana, one in the Superior Duplex, and two days in the Star Duplex. The only difference was that the flat-screen TV was upstairs in the Star, and thankfully had English cable channels and a DVD player. Although not exactly cheap, for the space the duplex suites provide it's fair value, including breakfast at around US$100/night

I liked the fact that the duplex accomodation consists of a downstairs lounge with massive adjacent bathroom, complete with enormous spa-style bathtub, and an enormous upstairs bedroom with a super-sized four poster bed. This was the most spacious accommodation I stayed in on my recent trip to Bali, Lombok and Gili Trawangan. Service was prompt, staff were friendly enough around the hotel and the place was clean. I was on a photoshoot in Bali and each day I had models and make-up artists at my suite so the space was really great!

The same cannot be said for the restuarant, where staff were half-asleep and inattentive every time I visited it. Food was OK if not overpriced when compared to local warungs in the area....

Wifi only works around the pool and in the restuarant, which is annoying if like me one has to keep in touch while on vacation. For a small investment a few more wireless routers could provide coverage to the entire hotel...

I liked the Seminyak area, which was far quieter than manic Kuta. A big plus is that Puri Cendana is a short walk from the main beach. TIP - try the Bakso soup from the guy at the entrance to the beach. The best RP 10 000 meal I had in Bali :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Derek S
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This is the third time that I have stayed at Puri Cendana. Do not go here thinking that it is the W! It isn't. It is a really good value hotel one block from the beach. It is clean, safe and the safe cannot do enough to help you. The location is superb walking distance to the bars and along the beach to potato head and ku de ta. If you want a reasonable place to stay in Seminyak look no further.

Room Tip: Room E is great (duplex double) room 12 (twin)