“A lovely suprise for the price”

Mutiara Bali Boutique Resort & Villas
Ranked #47 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
Jellyblush
“A lovely suprise for the price”
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I have just spent three nights at the Mutiara. I booked via wotif and had a superior room overlooking the pool for $65 a night which is a great deal for the area. The deluxe rooms seem like a waste of money they are the same with a balcony that is a fraction bigger. I preferred the upstairs rooms as the downstairs had no privacy in their outside deck.

The rooms were simply designed and you can see where they've saved to allow these rates as some of the furnishings are basic. However, the style in simple and clean and rooms are spacious. The lcd TVs are great, there was lots of cupboard space which i like, no problems with anything in the room or bathroom at all.

The pool was really wonderful and much more than I'd expect from a hotel of this class. Really made the place. I was in there for a few swims a day, I reckon it is maybe 25 or 30 metres and as the hotel is quite small there's lots of space for everyone. It's partly sunny and partly shady which is great. They dont bring pool towels though, you need to ask for them.

Breakfasts were good, I thought the pancakes tasted a bit wierd but the egg white omelettes were gorgeous. Lots of choice of breakfasts teas and juices and I love that each breakfast is made fresh, no buffet. I ordered a Nasi goreng for room service and this was very good too.

I used the spa for a massage and a scrub and both were very, very good. A bit pricier than you'd pay elsewhere but the standard was certainly high, so I didnt mind for the convenience of using the hotel spa.

Wifi was great no issues the whole time.

I tried to use the fitness centre but as it is open air found it much too humid to work out, which was a shame.

Staff were lovely, nothing too much trouble at any time.

The area is great for restaurants as others have said. It's worth knowing that you can't swim at Seminyak beach. I asked the hotel for directions to the beach and walked there, it was around 25 minutes, then had to walk about another 30 minutes along the beach to a place I could swim.

I am now in Ubud and while this hotel is ok I miss the Matiara already :-)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Jellyblush

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We stayed in a family room, which was spacious and definitely big enough for 3. Room was well presented. Sheets were clean but were stained. Beds only had bottom sheet and duvet - I would have preferred a top sheet as well. Open air bathroom was large but very hot (and not so nice when you are feeling unwell).

Very close to main resturant area of Seminyak, so easy to go out for dinner - which is handy because I ate at the hotel the first night I arrived and within hours was very acutely unwell (unfortunately this dose of "Bali Belly" lasted for the next 7 days of my trip). Breakfast at the hotel seemed ok however.

Staff are friendly, although communication could be better as we had arranged extra flight transfers via email and had to rearrange this as reception staff were unaware of this & we had to renegogiate.

Pool was fabulous - huge & a mix of sunny and shady areas (which is a real bonus if you have been in the sun all day and still want to cool off in the pool). Free internet in the lobby was greatly appreciated. Oh and the "Tension Relief Back Massage" in the spa is easily the best massage I have ever have. I would return just for that. A MUST do if you stay at this hotel. Air conditioning in the room was fabulous.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Nice quiet hotel set back from the main road in Seminyak. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk to the beach and 5 minutes from the main road where the shops and restaurants are. Check in was ok, although we did need to wait over an hour for the room. The staff at reception could do with smiling occasionally too.

The room was large but a little tired and bare, it almost felt like a private hospital room but not as clean. Our room was on the first floor with a balcony overlooking the pool. There was a tv with a lot of English speaking channels. You can get room service but the food isn’t great.

The pool was nice and surrounded by frangipanis but not many sun loungers and there’s a small gym. Breakfast was ok, you can choose from a set menu, but we only ate there only once in 5 days.

All in all we had a good stay but I’m not sure I would stay again if I were in the area.

Sydney
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the Mutiara and had a very pleasant time. This was our 4th trip to Bali however our first stay in Seminyak. I chose this resort mostly from TA reviews and resonable price for the Seminyak area. The resort was very comfortable and quiet. The rooms generous in size and the bathroom huge! The room was very clean and it was a very nice place to come home to each day. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The gardens were very well maintained. The breakfast was simple but fine. The location was good for the restaurants in the main street of Seminyak just a 5 minute walk. The beach was a bit further away probably a good 15 min walk and actually a little disappointing compared to Legian / Kuta beaches. We preferred to grab a taxi to Legian each day for the beach and shopping. The only disappointment for us at Mutiara was that the pool was quite shady. On our last day we asked to have a look at a villa. We were shown a 3 b/room villa - it was superb. We both agreed that the Mutiara was a very nice place and I would stay there again but we prefer Legian to Seminyak.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Nice boutique hotel, in the heart of seminyak but a bit far from the beach. you have to take a cab or walk about 20minutes. nice pool area and very nice rooms with a very big kingsize bed and an openair bathroom, which was amazing! the bathroom was as big as the room itself! nice flatscreen tv which I was happy to have while being sick for 6 days! breakfast ok, but nothing special. staff nice, but not outstanding. price for seminyak ok.seminyak in general is nothing special, alot of expats from europe and australia and i didn't feel like being in asia. prefer malaysia, nicer people and atmosphere and especially more beautiful beaches. treid also another hotel in seminyak but the mutiara seems to be the best in its category.

• Stayed July 2010
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2010

The Mutiara-I missed it as soon as we boarded the shuttle to go to the airport!! It's biggest asset is it's staff. They are relaxed, friendly and always smile particularly Sucita and Suraya.Breakfast was always lovely knowing we would see the smiling Sucita-nothing was too much trouble, a sweet man that left little titbits for the birds much to my 4 year olds delight.
Pool was idyllic surrounded by frangipani trees and a lumbung for quiet times. It is very family friendly with a shallow area in the pool and because it is an intimate hotel, very safe for children to wander about and wander my daughter did as she felt so comfortable.If you love food, it is a perfect location behind Jalan Laksmana and the fantastic Ultimo restaurant.You still get the feeling you are close to locals but without the hassle as a kampong is next door to the back of the rooms. I liked to hear the chatter and the rooster crowing in the morning in our outdoor bathroom.I have been to Bali 7 times and want to book this again. We made a lot of friends which was an unexpected and delightful.Due to the smallness of the resort, it encourages contact and most people staying there are well travelled and interesting people.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Dhaka
Reviewed 31 October 2010

I stayed @ Mutiara Bali Resort along with my wife from 17-21 October 2010 (4 nights). We had great time and wonderful moments in the resort. We stayed in one of its superior room on the 1st floor. We booked the resort through laterooms.com and read few reviews about the resort before booking it. I found most of the reviews quite positive which influenced me to book the resort .

to be continued