“Under construction...”

The Samaya Bali Seminyak
Ranked #3 of 147 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Very disappointing, despite the high setting of the price. The villa and the entire common area near the restaurant Breeze is under construction.
We stayed until Easter Sunday.

Room Tip: Wait until the const is done or get a discount
12  Thank Bluelagoon771
There are newer reviews for The Samaya Bali Seminyak

Reviewed 23 April 2011

I stayed at the Samaya a year ago and was absolutely delighted with my stay. This time I brought my mother along and we both agreed that this the best hotel we have ever stayed at. And between my mum and I, we have visited quite a few places....! Anyway, you cannot go wrong with The Samaya. I was initially somewhat worried that we would get bothered by the renovations currently going on on the older villas but we didn't even notice them. There was no construction noise and no disruptions of any kind.
Our room (Royal Courtyard villa) was spacious, luminous, very clean and totally comfortable. I particularly appreciated the Ipod dock and the luxurious bathroom complete with jacuzzi and all the amenities you can wish for.
We enjoyed our private pool to the max and the wooden deck is the perfect place for the complimentary afternoon tea :). The room is serviced twice a day, every morning we would find a new bowl of fresh fruit and every night a different plate of pastries or pralines.... The service is of the highest standard, the staff is super friendly, helpful and always walking around with a smile and a greeting.
The spa is definitely also worth a visit, try to get a treatment room facing the ocean. We had booked a body scrub and a massage but were so sunburned that the therapists graciously offered to treat us to a cool aloe vera gel wrap instead of a scrub...
And be sure to have dinner at Breeze at least once as I guarantee it is an experience you will never forget. The tables are set on the lawn, you dine under the stars and by the sound of the sea, the food is exquisite, don't miss it!
My mother and I tried to find a negative comment or something for them to improve but couldn't come up with anything!!
Our stay at the Samaya was a dream come true.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank valintheuae
Reviewed 22 April 2011

1. It's easy to say something positive about "The Samaya" > we could confirm everything positive that you can read on tripadvisor about this place

2. We couldn't find anything negative during our time @ "The Samaya"

In advance of our booking we did a lot of research to find the best place to stay @.
We read about "The Samaya" and recognized the high rating and positive comments.
On the hotel homepage we read that renovation takes places during the time we picked.

So we decided to write the management and tell them about our concerns.
They answered immediately and personal and described everything what is currently going on.

What a professional (Pre-) customer management!!!

We booked the hotel for 11 days and we didn't regret it! (We didn't see or hear anything of the ongoing renovation)

The standard that you will find @ Samaya is really high and *****+ (facilities), but more important an even higher is the wonderful staff and how you are treated by them.
From first day to last you just need to think about what you (might) need and it will be provided with a smile.
You are called by name, which makes you feel like being part of a family.

I could continue with positive comments because I don't know where to stop.....

A word about the Restaurant "The Breeze":

For sure you will find cheaper places within a two-minute walk but you won't find
better places, better food and better atmosphere!!!

We tried a few times, but most of the other restaurants in Seminyak a Tourist-Traps >
lousy food comparing to the price!

"The Breeze" fits into the hotel standard with a wonderful atmosphere in front of the ocean. The quality of the food is fresh and the creations of the chef (a mixture between European and local style) are achieving the highest level!
I don't need to mention that the service @ "The Breeze" is as wonderful and professional as it is everywhere @ "The Samaya"

We hope that "The Samaya" will keep up with the standard and friendliness we could have experienced!

For sure > we will come back!!!

Thanks, once again to Mr. Ray Clark and The Samaya - Team!!!

Room Tip: not necessary all rooms / villas are beautiful!!!
3  Thank plan_quadrat
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We are in the fourth day of our stay (Villa 321), and while the resort is generally fine I am a little surprised at the consistently great reviews on Tripadvisor.

The highlights are that the villas themselves are of a high standard, the staff are warm and friendly, and the quality of the spa treatments is exceptional. While these are great features, the first two of these can be found at most of the higher end resorts in Bali. Does Samaya then have anything that separates it from the other higher end resorts in Bali? The answer for us is clearly no, it does not. In fact there are many areas where Samaya falls short, and travellers should take these into account.

Samaya should do better at managing the experience of its guests on excursions and with service providers outside of the resort that the resort has recommended. The staff organised a trip to the beach for us. When we turned up the driver was late and the staff had no idea where he was so we stood around waiting while they scrambled to locate the driver. The same thing happened with our dinner reservations. When the driver for the beach excursion finally arrived, we were recommended a beach which they said was suitable for children. Upon arrival at the beach it was clear that it would be impossible for children to swim there due to the level of the surf. We were then taken to an alternative beach which was strewn with trash and filth - again, not suitable for children (or adults for that matter!). Upon arrival back at the resort we were asked how the trip was and explained that our morning had been wasted and the beaches recommended were not suitable. There were simply blank stares in return.

The food in the Brasserie is average at best and the choices are limited. The food is unnecessarily expensive when you compare it to prices in Bali generally.

We have not really seen our butler, and the butler service is generally poor. We would generally expect that he would stop by and ask if things are fine and if we need any assistance with anything. He is no where to be found. Terrible service.

Quality of toiletries should be better.

Service at the poolside is not attentive enough.

Yesterday we asked whether our daughter (age 8) could participate in baking cookies, and we were told that they would call the restaurant and/or enquire into option outside of the resort. We have not even had a response to this request!

Frankly, I do no know what to say about all of the positive reviews of Samaya on Tripadvisor. As I say, the villa quality is good, staff are really friendly and pleasant, afternoon tea is a treat, and the spa is a must visit. But these are things that you can find at other places in Bali. For me, Samaya just doesn't have that little bit more that would justify the great reviews, or its price.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank dcLondon
Reviewed 13 April 2011

After reading the reviews of the Samaya on tripadvisor, I felt the need to stay here myself.

Having stayed a few times in the Four Season in Jimbaran Bay, I felt that a change was needed and had heard only good things of the Samaya. I am pleased to say, my expectations were not only met, but where surpassed.

From when we were met at the airport to when we reluctantly left, our holiday was in Bali was made extremely relaxing by staff at the Samaya. Everything we could have asked for was done quickly, efficiently and more importantly to me, with a smile. Breakfast could be had at the Breeze Restaurant or in our villa by our own private pool - it was our choice. The food was excellent, it is really hard to find quality food in Bali, but these guys really are producing food at the top level.

But really, any hotel can do that if they have the right chef, what made the Samaya extra special was the little things. My wife liked the complimentary mini-bar (although it doesnt contain alcohol but plenty of refreshments) and the complimentary afternoon tea, However, I was most impressed by the smallest detail. When we were either laying by the pool or on the decking facing the ocean, we were always provided with Iced Water. Now, normally water would be replaced when the glass is empty, but at the Samaya it was replaced when the ice was melted! This is a minor example of how everything here has been thought about.

I met with the GM in passing, an English guy who was very approachable. He asked me how my stay was (I was surprised by this after he introduced himself to who he was) and explained a bit more about the hotel and recommended the sister hotel in Ubud if we wanted to see a different part of Bali. I asked him about the ice and how impressed I was and he said with a smile 'we are here to serve' - the motto of the hotel.

If you want to stay in the best hotel in Bali, stay here. Luxury, relaxation, tranquillity, I could go on. I have only taken the time to write this as I was so impressed, it makes such a difference to leave somewhere fulfilled rather then being disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JamesOC1978
Reviewed 11 April 2011

The Samaya exceeded our expectations from beginning to end! There isn't enough space to say all the great things about the staff and the facility. Right from the beginning it was great. I had forgotten my swim trunks and the Samaya driver who picked us up at the airport drove me directly to a surf shop to buy a new pair!

The Royal Courtyard Villa was amazing and our pool was perfect. The Courtyard is less than two-minutes away via a buggy ride, and the staff picks you up at your door anytime you are ready. The breakfast was fantastic and the afternoon tea a great daily refresher!

The staff recommended several fantastic restaurants, made our reservation and even drove us to and from the venue!

A wonderful experience for my girlfriend and I, not sure how we will top this one!

3  Thank rmfdefyu
Reviewed 7 April 2011

This was our third stay at the Samaya. As always everything was just great. They are renovating the villas in the main hotel area (not a problem for us as we always stay in the Royal Courtyard Villas) but one would never know that renovations are taking place as we never heard any construction noise. Also the main pool, Breeze restaurant, Spa etc are open so there is no disruption to any of the great services The Samaya provides.

As always what really makes The Samaya stand out (apart from the great villas and the fantastic bathrooms) is the staff. They are all wonderful and always willing to help with anything that will enhance one's stay.

We would just like to say a special thank you to Ana at Breeze who served our breakfast most mornings and to Eku (not sure of the spelling) at the reception area.

See you all next year if not before.

Room Tip: Visit Chandi Restaurant, Jl Laksmana. Great food.
1  Thank restaurantgirl_9