“Excellent Service”

Ranked #6 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The Samaya at Seminyak, Bali, is the perfect place for a holiday (especially for honeymoon!). I spent my honeymoon at The Samaya and it was 3D1N to remember. All the staff are friendly and most of them know my name (guest name) by heart. Even the General Manager always hands-on every day.

The facilities at the hotel complex and the villa that my wife and I stayed in was very satisfying!
The food at breakfast time was excellent!. My wife and I think that the service was superb all around. Highly recommend this hotel, especially if you are in honeymoon

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sulis N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This was a very elegant place. The villa was very modern and equipped with everything we needed. 2 showers, one is outdoors, a jacuzzi bath tub with underwater colorful lights, a bedroom tv, bath tv and a front room tv which has a hard drive with a lot of stored movies and all many channels. The restaurant on the beach front was a very nice place to dine. The access to the beach was very easy. Seminyak centre was a short walk and was vibrant with a number of bars and restaurants.

The hotel staff were very attendant, and helpful. We had a small complaint about the villa and very quickly they prepared another villa for us and came in numbers to help move our stuff. they impressively dealt with the situation and overall I was very pleased with their response. The general manager came and met us to see that everything was ok with the new villa.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this hotel, and absolutely recommend it to anyone. The choice of this place will not be regretted. Thanks guys for making our stay enjoyable.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_h_saleh
MAreviwer
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I compose this while sitting beach-side at Samaya Seminyak wishing I were back at Samaya Ubud. Have been here 3 nights with an additional 3 night stay left. Stay in Vill 108 from March 28 to April 3.

PROS:
Beachside deck with chaise lounges is very nice. The surf is just meters from your feet. The staff prepares a comfortable lounge, with two big towels tucked on top of the cushion for additional comfort. They bring a chilled towel and constantly replenish ice water all day. Around 1PM they bring a bowl of chilled fruit. On one day (and only one day), they offered a bottle of misting water to refresh you. You can order drinks and food brought right to your chaise.
The beach is infinitely cleaner and quieter than Kuta. The beach was cleaned each morning and was not as dirty as reported in some reviews. Although admittedly nothing like the meticulous sands of high end Caribbean resorts.
The villas are really quite amazing, especially the bathroom.
Service is good although not exceptional.

CONS
Reception staff and “butlers” were not very informative or knowledgeable. Upon first night arrival requested a map and general description of where to go. I was given a very poor airline advertisement map of all of Bali with just a small insert map (barely readable) of Seminyak. We are fortunate to stay here during the Balinese New Year Nyepi. There is a big parade and celebration featuring Agoh Agoh creatures. I repeatedly asked the butlers and reception staff were to watch the parade. They either did not know or gave wrong information. This is the equivalent of going to New York on New Year’s eve and hotel staff not knowing where the Times Square celebration. The hotel would not offer shuttle service stating the roads were closed so we set out by foot. We walked for an hour along the main roads of Seminyak searching for the Agoh Agoh parade and found nothing. Finally we flagged a taxi driver who was very helpful and took us to the proper location. Not sure why the taxi knew where and how to go but not the hotel.
Two other times I tried to take the hotel shuttle but was told it was not available, too far or inconvenient. So we walked everywhere or took taxis. At night, taxis want to avoid using the meter and want to negotiate the rate adding to the frustration.
It seemed every question I asked of reception was met with a blank stare or a non-answer. Nothing like the Samaya Ubud reception staff.
This morning my sink was clogged. Called reception to request sink be unclogged but was simply unable to communicate the problem or request. There is an endless parade of ants marching through the toilet stall. The thought of trying to communicate this to reception is exhausting; I’d rather deal with the ants.
Each morning our routine was the same, 7:30AM walk on beach, then direct to breakfast at 8:30AM, return to room to clean up then out for most of day by 9:30AM. I would leave the “Do Not Disturb” sign lit and sign on door. Yet each morning our breakfast was disturbed by either the butler or housekeeping asking us if we wanted to room serviced. I would explain we wished to return to room, clean up and would be ready for servicing by 9:30. I would also state I would light our “Housekeeping” sign and call reception that room was ready for service. And yet next morning, our breakfast would again be disturbed asking if we wanted the room clean. I applaud their diligence and the housekeeping was indeed impeccable, but Semaya Ubud would have anticipated our routine (or would never have even considered disturbing our breakfast). I travel internationally for business and most hotels and resorts generally respect the “Do Not Disturb” sign.
I am spending $750/night (plus, plus) and have a villa with a particularly narrow courtyard. There is no room for a lounge chair to sun in. I am not even sure I am getting the villa I have paid for. There are only 9 villas currently occupied. I never expected nor requested an upgrade but at least expected a good room within the $750/night class.
Turn down service never filled the ice bucket, in fact seem to leave the ice bucket filled with water from prior evenings. Each evening we would request ice as we liked to enjoy a final pool-side drink. Semaya Ubud would have anticipated this and ensured ice provided as part of turn down service.
I will spend over $6,000 at this resort this week including drinks, dinners, service, etc. (not counting 5 nights at Samaya Udud). I feel I was a fool and was supposed to use some Indonesian negotiating when booking.
I have a sickening feeling in my gut that I have traveled 30 hours and horribly overpaid for mediocre service. I actually feel robbed.
As can be seen in my other reviews, I try hard to be fair and even gracious in my reviews. In this case, don’t get too caught up in the reviews. I recommend careful research in choosing a beach-side Bali resort in this price range. A few nights here in the beachside “Royal Pavilions” at <$500/night is probably OK. Or better yet, simply stay at Samaya Ubud the entire vacation.

8 Thank MAreviewer
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

When you walk into the hotel, you are stunned by the beautiful view of the ocean from the lobby of the hotel. Then they take you to your villa, and it gets even better. The pool area is a great size, the only down side is that they did not have lounger chairs to be able to sit in the sun. They do have a nice cabana right next to the pool for those that like to sleep in the shade. The bedroom had a HUGE king size bed that was very comfy. The most amazing part was the bathroom. It is bigger than most living rooms!!! There was an outdoor shower that was amazing as well as a very large jacuzzi tub. I could have spent all of my time just hanging out in the bathroom. The property was not as quaint as Samaya Ubud. Since it is larger, not everyone knows your name on site. The ocean view, crashing waves and that great bathroom make up for it all!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kelly H
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

After staying at the Samaya Ubud for 4 nights, I thought it couldn't get any better but it did. The villas here are exceptional. The pounding surf and view of the beach is mesmerizing to me. I loved Ubud and encourage all to stay there as well - it is quiet and peaceful Seminyak has a different vibe due to the location but is relaxing in a different way. The staff at Seminyak are not as engaged as in Ubud. They are warm and friendly but the personal connection isn't there. The spa is magnificent and the food is wonderful. The service is a bit slow but since I am on vacation, it matters not to me. Like in Ubud, the rooms are serviced without you knowing much about it. Others have pointed out the checkin/out process and let's just say it is a wonderful way to start and end a stay. There are pictures of the villas already posted but they do not compare to actually being in the villa. They are stunning. I will be back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shawn E
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

An amazing resort with very personal service. The villas are amazing and very well appointed. The pool/beach service is excellent and ocean views from the hotel deck are outstanding. Food was great, too. Nothing to fault and a truly wonderful stay. Very highly recommended.

1 Thank David F
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I love this resort. Truly beautiful in so many ways. This is for the people who want privacy and desire to be treated like a celebrity.....because that's what you get here! The villas a wonderful, supported with service that is second to none..... It's not a place I would take my children to, but for couples, young and old, I could not recommend this place highly enough!!! Quiet, away from the hubbub and the food is wonderful...... Cocktails on the beach at sunset, always a highlight!

1 Thank Luvrlee