“new surprises”

The Samaya Bali Seminyak
Ranked #7 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My wife and i stayed at Samaya for 3 nights in early August. This is the fourth time back for us, and once at their sister property in Ubud, and the first since the villa rebuilds at the beach resort. We normally stay for a couple of weeks, but were short on time this trip.

Service and attention are excellent as always, led by Ray Clarke, the resort manager, who sets the bar high and leads by example. His team at the resort are incredibly professional and kind. They always seem to know who each guest is and most address you by name.

In our short time we utilized the Breezes restaurant for breakfast and dinner, and the spa for decadent attention. The food and staff at the restaurant are first class and they know how to make a good cocktail. Wine list is excellent with a good range to select from. The spa, as always, was great. The spa itself is incredibly relaxing space and the ladies do a fantastic job, making each visit a special occasion. Location of both these places, on the beachfront, makes the experience that much more memorable each time.

The new villas are significantly larger than the old versions, with everything you could want. We stayed in villa 111 which was a great location not far from the beach front. The quality and finish of the new builds is exemplary, and the private pools are much larger than previously.

The only slightly negative observations I'd have are 1. that the villas actually feel a bit too large and in my opinion have lost some of their previous intimacy (incredibly generous bedrooms and bathrooms) and the private pool is probably bigger than it needs to be, and 2. it was very noticeable to us that the resort now embraces families, including younger children. We've had children and grand children ourselves so it's not that we don't enjoy children, its just great to get away from younger folk from time to time, and one of the things that we used to like so much about this resort was always the lack of children, which made it more special for getting away from it all, and much more relaxing.

Despite these small niggles, Samaya continues to set a very high standard in a very competitive market in Seminyak and surrounds, and we look forward to getting back there again soon.

1  Thank Greg B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,835)

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We were blown away by the sensational Bali Samaya resort. My husband and I were celebrating our honeymoon and were made to feel very special. The location is great - right on the beach and close to the heart of Seminyak. The staff were wonderful!! We had 24hour butler service with no additional charges - they were amazing! Our villa was beautiful and much more than we anticipated. The view from the BREEZE restaurant was to die for! Thank you Bali Samaya!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Another amazing property of Seminyak.

The villa, the pool, the private beach, are all good.
Celebrated my birthday over a simple (but amazing) dinner at Breeze restaurant.
Again, Samaya is extraordinary when it comes to the details. The details of the property as well as the services.

Sincere smiles from all staffs, always brighten our days.

Definitely, this is no choice in Seminyak. Way over others.

Room Tip: choose Samaya Bali.... not Samaya Courtyard. Courtyard is not by the beach
1  Thank kabayan w
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We recently had the pleasure of staying at the Samaya in Seminyak, Bali. We were incredibly impressed with the high attention to detail, such as small extra special touches in our room and around the resort. We were greeted with flower leis, scented cold towels and welcome drinks, with a staff member taking us to our room, explaining the resort and room amenities while taking care of registering in such a relaxed personal manner vs the "standard" check in at a lobby desk. Ray, the General Manager took time each day to say hello and check if there was anything we needed or could be of help. The simple ability to have breakfast at any time was truly appreciated, so we could plan activities accordingly without trying to adjust or adapt to fit into a certain window. It may seem a small thing, but it was a lovely aspect that actually ended up impacting our our planning in such a positive way.
The warm and very personal service continued throughout our stay, we were continually impressed by the amazing level of care from every staff member. Their open, warm and friendly approach was genuine and sincere, making us feel a part of their "family".
We celebrated my husband's birthday here, and were surprised with a birthday cake at breakfast. We decided to have dinner at Breeze, with Ray assuring us that it would be a unique and special night. We were delighted with a very special table and location, decorated with flowers and flower petals, and personal service and attention.
It was an incredible, decadent stay at the Samaya, Bali in Seminyak with memories of a lifetime for us!

Room Tip: The property actually have two locations for rooms, one at the beach with the main reception and ano...
1  Thank Crewgirl66
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The first time I stayed at the Samaya was by chance. The private villa I had originally booked was very nice but unfortunately the next door villa was being renovated and having a continual "bang bang bang" noise during my massage by the pool was not, understandably, very relaxing. My husband told me to take the driver and come back when I found something that was perfect - and when I walked in through the front doors of The Samaya with a view straight through to the beach, I knew I had found it. I didn't really need to see the room - which was actually a private villa - but of course I went to have a look anyway and 2 hours later I was in that room! I was very lucky by the way as this was the only villa they had available. I have not stayed anywhere else in Seminyak since and probably won't. The service is impeccable - one feels truly special and especially when the very charming staff call you by your name after what seems like 3 minutes of being there. It is incredibly luxurious and even the standard villas seem like palaces with bathrooms larger than some one bedroom city apartments with both indoor and outdoor showers (the shower heads are so big you feel like it's raining on you) as well as sunken spa baths. Each villa has it's own large pool and separate sitting room so really you are in your own house within the hotel grounds. There is a very well equipped gym, you can have your breakfast any time of the day - seriously, ANY time - and they even bring you fresh fruit to your sun-lounger (which, by the way, is one of the most comfortable sun loungers I have every relaxed on, and there have been many! There is also a call button for each sun-lounger) around midday and provide afternoon tea consisting of sandwiches, cakes and scones - all complimentary. The spa is sensational; obviously one can find many many spas locally in the area and at much lower prices but there is no way the whole service can compete - ambience, tranquility, amenities etc etc - and all right by the pool! Another very attractive service is the Samaya's local transport service - one only has to wait 2 or 3 minutes for a driver to take you wherever you wish to go in the area in one of their very posh air conditioned vans. For a relaxing and very luxurious holiday, look no further. You will feel very pampered, very looked after and very, very relaxed.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask about where the different villas are located as some are not within the main hotel co...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EMMAL L
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was my first trip to Bali, so perhaps my expectations were a little unrealistic. Let's see....

Firstly, the staff were fantastic. Always smiling, always helpful. Five out five for them!

Villa - beautiful. It was huge and private. It had everything you could think of. I did get bitten by an insect (or possibly two) which I didn't notice until the next day but this is entirely my own fault as I had read Bali had some insects and in the cupboard were a multitude of options to keep them away. They are invisible little things - I didn't actually see one but had a few bites on me on my last morning. So suggest you avail yourself of the sprays, candles etc.

The villa was always spotless and so was the pool. It could not have been cleaner. Sure, on some days I swam with a few frangipanis floating around - but how lovely! They were certainly gone when the villa was serviced though and there was never anything on the floor of the pool. It was immaculate, as was the whole resort.

I stayed on the other side, which was only a few minutes on foot to cross to the main side. This didn't bother me at all and there were security everywhere between the two points who made sure the traffic stopped and you could travel between safely. I mainly walked but a buggy service is available and they were often at my door before I'd hung the phone up - so make sure you're ready to go before you call!

One thing I would have liked was a map of the resort, both sides of the road. I had no idea where the second restaurant was nor where the stairs were to Seminyak Square. I took the buggy the first time I went over to the main side because I had no idea where I was.

Food - there are many review here raving about the food and the breakfast. It was a bit hit and miss. The strawberry & cashew pancakes were the best breakfast I had and they were delicious! I initially thought the juices were watered down. When I tasted the fruit I realised the juice wasn't, the fruit just wasn't particularly flavoursome. OJ was best. Watermelon and pineapple were not sweet. The all day dining and dinner at Breeze was great. The dinner was actually superb.

Spa - Gorgeous rooms and lovely staff. Service was also excellent.

Ambience - the pool was quite understated. It appears like a lagoon and upon first seeing it I thought it was more for decoration and the pool was elsewhere. The beach was incredibly ordinary and quite rough, I didn't go in but think it may not suit young children. I think you could find other places to spend the day though at sunset it was quite magical.

General comments - I had a great time and my low rating shouldn't suggest otherwise. It just wasn't worth the $$$. Perhaps if it was $400 to $500 (absolute max) it would be more appropriately priced.

My villa was lovely however I happened to see through the doors into villa 109 and it looked spectacular. Not sure if it was a few bedrooms, but it was next to the restaurant and looked striking.

On reading the comments I had expected to be greeted at some point by the General Manager. I was also told by staff one evening that he was planning on meeting me in the morning at breakfast. I had not asked to meet him, but wasn't surprised by this as I had read online this was quite common. I never actually did. Which isn't a problem but it did leave me feeling a little awkward, given he is so well known for this I am left wondering why he didn't want to meet me!?!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank IamPrincessSparkles
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We moved here from another hotel for our last night in Bali and we were fortunate enough to be upgraded to their Royal Pavillion by the pool area adjacent to the beach. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel special. Their manager Ray was fantastic, he personally showed us around and we instantly felt relieved after our ordeal at our previous hotel. The Pavilion was amazing, the biggest bathroom I have ever seen with Jacuzzi bath, large bedroom and lounge area and big private pool with hot tub (although was a little too hot to get into). The room was very clean and we were given champagne on arrival and lots of other honeymoon welcome treats such as flowers in bath and a large chocolate cake!

The hotel has a fantastic location, right in Seminyak near all of the life and activity and some great restaurants and bars. It is still a boutique hotel so doesn't feel huge like some of the nearby big hotels so you're given a real personal service. The complimentary afternoon tea is a real treat and we watched the sunset over the beach which was amazing.

Our only regret is that we didn't book here from the beginning so if and when we do go back to Bali we would definitely stay at The Samaya. Thanks to Ray and his team for everything.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple