“Amazing service at an amazing hotel”

The Samaya Bali Seminyak
Ranked #5 of 143 Hotels in Seminyak
Harrow, United Kingdom
“Amazing service at an amazing hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

We arrived at the Samaya on our honeymoon with high hopes after reading all these reviews... and we have to say we were not disappointed. Not one bit. The hotel was fully booked when we arrived, and they upgraded us from a 2 person Royal Courtyard Villa (RCV) to a 4 person one on arrival. What astounded me though was that they made no fuss whatsoever about this - I had to mention to them that our villa seemed much bigger than what we were expecting when the staff admitted that they had upgraded us, as if it was a commonplace thing to do. The rest of our stay followed in much the same vein - complimentary afternoon tea (with English scones and French pastries) daily, the room cleaned twice daily, free bus rides up to Legian. While it's true that the RCVs are slightly further away than the beach villas, one trades location for size and comfort. And the buggy rides are really not that big a deal. In fact, most times we just walked - it took us 2 minutes to get to the beach. The villas are decked out in all the mod cons - a Bose sound system, 2 Samsung flat screens, free wi-fi and you can even borrow an iPod if you've forgotten your's. The private pool is an absolute show-stealer - amazing after a hard day's shopping in the sun. The beach was pretty quiet when we were there, though the surf can be killer. Breeze restaurant is pricey, but the food was probably the best that we tried in Bali. That and at Sate Bali which is just opposite the Samaya and serves the best mie goreng and rijstaffel in Bali at very reasonable prices. No review of the Samaya would be complete without mentioning the hospitality and level of service of its staff. There are really no bounds as to what these people are willing to do for you. All under the friendly eye of Ray Clark - the friendliest Liverpudlian out there bar Paul McCartney (maybe). At the end, the missus refused o move to Ubud where I had booked the last few nights of our honeymoon - a testament to the great praise the Samaya so richly deserves.

1 Thank TravelbugBrighton_UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
HK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

We had a good holiday at the Samaya. It's not the most picturesque strip of beach in Bali (don't pick if you want remote peace and relaxation) but it is a chic hotel in a good location, a quick walk from Ku De Ta and close to Seminyak's great restaurants. The food is good serving breakfast at any time of day and complimentary afternoon tea to your villa or sun lounger.

Service was great with a complimentary car shuttle around Seminyak. We had a problem with our villa on the first night and they moved and upgraded us straight away. I would strongly recommend the Courtyard Villas in the new section across the road from the main hotel. Big private pool, amazing huge bathrooms that open into the gardens and golf buggy shuttle at any time of day.

All in all a good trip.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon to Bali. We stayed in three different places in Bali and Lombok but ended our holiday with 8 nights at the Samaya in Seminyak. If you're reading this, then you're probably tempted to book it, but maybe you're checking out some other hotels in the area. If that's you, stop what you're doing, pick up the phone to your agent, and do yourself a favour.

We really could not have ended our honeymoon at a more perfect hotel. The Samaya is exquisite! The location of the Samaya is on Seminyak beach on the same road as the Legian Hotel and the famous restaurant Ku De Ta.

The Samaya is split in two. The main hotel is right on the beach and houses the original (and therefore older) walled villas. There's also the main pool (nice and warm!) which has islands on it where you can have private romantic meals. The fantastic Breeze restaurant is right next to the pool and the Spa is on the other side. A line of sunbeds lines the pool on the beach side, providing amazing views of the beach, the crashing waves, the surfers and of course, the sunsets.

The other half of the hotel is actually over the road and down a few yards, then a 100 or so metres down an alleyway. Ok, I'll admit it, when we were first told our room was not on the beach side of the hotel but down the road, my heart sank. BUT, when we drove through the other compound and pulled up to the villa, the guy driving the buggy introduced himself as our Butler (yes, you read that right) and led us through the door. As he did so my wife and I caught each others eyes and mouthed "wow" to each other. Please, please don't think it's a bad thing to be over the road. You will not be disappointed.

Private, walled villa. Covered L-shaped sofa on a decked area with table and two chairs for romantic meals. Private swimming pool with fountain wall and underwater lights. Decked area with two sunbeds. Flowers sprinkled everywhere and made into heart shapes on the floor... And then, the Villa itself. It was all my wife and I could do to not jump up and down screaming... I want to describe the villa but I also don't want to spoil it for you. We loved it. Plain and simple.

A team of Butlers takes care of absolutely everything for you. Pick up your phone, dial 0 or 42 and they'll be knocking on your door in 30 seconds. I cannot emphasize enough how brilliant the Butler team were. They're a great bunch of guys, really personable, funny, interesting and just desperate to make sure you have a fantastic holiday.

Being in the villas across the road never really presented itself as a problem. Dial 0 or 42 and you can get a buggy to your villa in 30 seconds and it's a two minute drive over to the main building. A complimentary car will take you from the hotel to anywhere in the surrounding area, such as a restaurant for dinner. We never had to wait for a car...

The villas are kept immaculate by an army of cleaners twice a day. The gardens, pool area and restaurant are impeccable. The breakfasts are out of this world - we stayed on a B&B basis and were surprised to hear that we could have whatever we want on the menu, and however much we wanted. We could eat at the Breeze, at the Brasserie, or get it delivered to our room, but of course we always ate at the Breeze so we could sit by the ocean. Try the Chicken Apple Sausage Scramble with goat cheese, spinach and fried potatoes!

Afternoon tea is a delight, and is complimentary. My only comment about this was that it took too long to serve (30 mins for an iced-cappucino!) but believe it or not I've already had an email from the hotel manager to say thanks for the comment (less than 48 hours after leaving the hotel), he's had a meeting with the staff and have already cut this down. That's pretty good, no?

The hotel manager - Ray Clarke - is a lovely guy who can't do enough for you. He gives the personal touch and demands excellence from his staff. I'm not easily impressed by hotel managers, but Ray's got something. He went beyond the call of duty for us, for which we were very grateful.

So let's see if I can summarize. If you're in the Royal Courtyard Villas you're trading location for a modern, stylish villa instead. No brainer for me. The food was phenomenal, both in the hotel and the surrounding restaurants (try Sate Bali, Sarong, Ultimo, Cafe Bali, and our favourite - Made's Warung). But what makes the Samaya one of the best hotels we've ever stayed at, was the staff. All the Balinese people we met were great. The ones working at the Samaya however, were amongst the cream of the crop.

We had the most amazing time at the Samaya. We can't stop talking about it now that we're back and wish we could get married all over again just so we'd have an excuse to spend the money required to have another week there. It is expensive but you do get what you pay for... I think a week was just the right amount of time. I definitely recommend combining a week in Seminyak with a few days in Ubud or Lombok if you can manage it.

So stop reading other reviews, stop dithering, and book the hotel. You really won't regret it, I promise.

Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

We stayed in the Samaya for 5 nights for the last part of our honeymoon and is was superb. We really enjoyed the location, the villa and the staff was really nice and took care of all our requests. What we especially liked about the Samaya is that is relatively small which creates a nice and cozy atmosphere.

We booked it through a Dutch travel agency and did not encounter any of the problems some people are writing about. Samaya staff was expecting us when we came there and we had one of the best royal pavilion villas (we had no 108) with all the privacy we wanted but if we left our villa we could almost directly jump into the pool or walk 50m for the restaurant or the beach beds.

The food at the Samaya Breeze restaurant is very good and as you are right at the beach, the view cannot be any better. Furthermore, you are close to lots of other nice and cool places such as La Lucciola (right next door) and Ku De Ta.

In other words, hope to be back in the Samaya one day!

Reinier

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

Having stayed in two other hotels during our holiday in Bali, our final 4 nights were in the Samaya. We got an upgrade to one of their one bedroom royal pavillions which was fantastic ( we did not see the royal courtyard pavillions which are a one minute golf buggy drive away). The room was clean, the bathroom was luxurious and the pool was heaven. Soft drinks in the minibar are free which is a nice change from all other hotels ripping you off whenever you tuck into an ice cold Coke. Shuttle services into town are also free, another huge bonus! The staff are very friendly and extremely helpfull. No language barrier problems like in the other places we stayed in as most of the staff speak perfect english. Plenty of free iced water going round by the pool and beach and an excellent complimentary daily tea with cakes, sandwiches and scones to keep you going until dinner time. The food at the breeze restaurant is excellent especially if you feel like a good old club sandwich, great pasta or steak after more than you fair share of nasi goreng during your holiday. The spa is heavenly. Due to some error at the spa our original booking was cocked up but we got the same treatment the next day free of charge which was fantastic. If you are looking for a romantic, stylish, relaxing and luxurious holiday in Bali, look no further, this place is awesome!

1 Thank gockeluk
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Samaya in April this year in a Royal Pavilion Villa, and I have got to say that it was absolutely AMAZING! The only part my husband did not enjoy was when he got the flu half way through our holiday! We may even go back at the end of the year!
We have stayed at a lot of villa hotels in the Far East and this was by far the best one. It has an amazing size swimming pool, and the villas have free wi-fi and huge bathtubs with tv's, so you can watch TV while you relax in the bath after a long day of sunbathing.
The butlers are great as well. They are very accomodating, and will try to get you anthing you ask for. The Samaya also has a great minibus service, they drop you into town and can also pick you up as well, which we found fantastic!
We stayed in a Ocean Villa in the Oberoi the last time and the Samaya beats it hands down. Just amazing!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

This is a reply to "Sepmer" as I too booked the first two nights of my honeymoon at the Samaya hotel through Expedia back in April. I checked w/ the Samaya who told me that they were booked for my first two nights, yet Expedia showed availability. I called Expedia and the sales agent told me that Expedia had "exclusive" inventory to rooms at the Samaya so they could book rooms for me even if the hotel showed no rooms available. I triple checked this with the sales rep and booked my room. Last week (a week before my departure) I received a call from an Expedia rep telling me the Samaya would not honor my reservations. I went balistic on the Expedia rep as I was leaving the next week but they told me that they can't argue with hotels if they decide to cancel their reservations. I too had the feeling that Samaya was able to get higher rates elsewhere and so canceled my lower priced $320/night room. The next day I went on the Samaya website and found my first two nights available so I booked them through the hotel at about the same rate ($345/night), but which is their last minute special rate. For booking honeymoon's you don't want this kind of nightmare, beware of booking the Samaya through other websites as the Samaya will likely cancel your reservation.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple