“Thje Samaya offers superb service, luxury and a great restaurant”

The Samaya Bali Seminyak
Ranked #7 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 2 November 2009

We have stayed at The Samaya 5 times during the past 3 years and it just gets better and better.
The staff are friendly, courteous and very well trained.
The Villas are luxurious very clean and well maintained.
The new big screen TV's are a fabulous addition.
The Spa is second to none.
Ray Clark the General Manager and Johannes always go out of their way to ensure that all is well with all the guests.
We can thoroughly recommend The Samaya and will continue to stay there when we visit beautiful Bali,

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank relaxedholiday_9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,835)

Reviewed 30 October 2009

We stayed at the Samaya in mid August after getting married the week before, and after arriving in Bali we had stayed for 3 days in Ubud as part of a twin centre honeymoon. We stayed in the Samaya for 7nights of absolute, unadulterated perfect bliss. It was, in a word, perfect. All the reviews written on the hotel only gave a foretaste of what an amazing and delightful experience we would have at The Samaya. It is a wonderful gem of a hotel, and one which I cannot imagine could be bettered.

The Samaya is divided up into two, the traditional hotel on the seafront, and the new Royal Courtyard villas over the road. We were given one of the Royal Courtyard Villas- Room 316, a number which will be forever etched into our memories. On arrival we were given beautiful lanyards, our bags were loaded onto a golf buggy and were met with smiling, welcoming and friendly staff. The deputy manager, Johannes, specially came down to meet us (I imagine they do this for everyone but it feels very special and personal) and instantly we felt at home, and valued by the staff. We'd already experienced the friendly, warm and nothing-is-too-much-trouble attitude of the Balinese, but the staff at the Samaya were something else, just wonderful people who can't be talked about too highly.

We were taken to our Royal Courtyard Villa in one of their golf buggies. It's a novel, fun and brilliant way to travel, the journey took about 2-3 minutes and a note about these, whenever you need one you just call 'Please can we have a buggy' and when you put the phone down it's there. It must be supernatural.

The Royal Courtyard Villa that was our home for the next all too short week was divine. It was like a whole house to ourselves, complete with garden, private pool, and terrace. We thought that you'd get a plunge pool at best, it was about 15 meters long and had a beautiful waterfall effect complete with sun loungers. The welcome we received was the cutest thing either of us had ever experienced on our travels. They'd laid out petals in the shape of a heart and draped them over the path. The room was filled with beautiful fresh flowers and a wonderful fruit arrangement. Inside the villa there was a lush, emperor sized bed, and all mod cons such as a huge samsung tv (we never used it) and a Bose ipod dock, which we used lots. They even lend you an ipod if you want! We used our own. To be honest, my wife and I were almost moved to tears how wonderful the place was. The bathroom was huge, twin rain showers, a gigantic bath and beautiful smelling toiletries as well as complimentary soft drinks and snacks. They even provided aftersun gel for us- which we needed after a day or two!

We ate twice at the restaruant Breeze in the evenings. The food is delicious, and the menu abundantly stocked with local and fresh ingredients. It's also reasonably priced for the luxury end of the market- we actually left the pretentious and overpriced KuDeTa down the road because they had a problem with our order, knowing that we would get delicious food and great service at Breeze. The breakfasts were great, you can choose to eat either in your room or on the seafront and we chose the seafront every day. The portions are huge, and delicious. We loved the staff who attended to us each day, always smiling and friendly and carrying themselves with such grace and showing so much care to each guest. The hotel should be very proud of all of them. During the day, we sunbathed on the loungers overlooking the ocean, and they bring you cold towels, water and fresh fruit as much as you like. In the evenings we enjoyed cocktails overlooking the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen. Cocktails like The Samaya (with lots of chocolatey banana delights) and Seminyak Beauty, as well as a well stocked bar with, again, amazing staff. An example of this was one night I asked for Amaretto and they had run out, and a few nights later the waiter remembered and offered me it. Simply amazing.
Seminyak is a great place to visit, lots of cool and plush restaurants and shops. Don't worry about getting a cab, just ask at reception and before you know it a car will miraculously arrive and take you where you want to go for free.
The Samaya take great pride in helping people with special requests, on my birthday my wife arranged for us to have a sumptious feast including fillet steak and champagne (two of my favourites!) in our private terrace. The staff decorated the terrace beatifully as a suprise and they were all so helpful and gave me a birthday cake to go along with our honeymoon cake, both of which were delicious.
On other days we ate room service, the burgers and calimari and satays were some of the nicest I've ever had, and quickly realised that the hard work I'd done to lose weight for my wedding was in vain!
In summary, The Samaya will always stay in our memories as the most wonderful place we've ever been. It's divine perfection of a hotel. If you are planning to go to Bali, and you can afford it (naturally it isn't what you would call a budget hotel!) then please go.
Credit goes to the management, Ray Clarke and his team for making it so amazing. Ray was welcoming and approachable and always made sure he spoke to us and made us feel valued and at home there. The Samaya is a truly special place, and as I write this on a dark October evening I just want to go back...why is there no sixth star for everything? 5 just isn't good enough...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Got back 2 days ago from an AMAZING, romantic 5 night stay at Samaya. I wanted to write this as soon as I got back as I totally relied on the other reviews of tripadvisor members.
What can I tell you that hasnt already been said - I know that I can honestly 100% back up all the positive comments in past reviews and took the advice of one member "dont think twice, just book". And if you are umming about the cost, rest assured that you will be receiving such good value for this. Free breakfast, minibar, laundry, shuttle where avail, and afternoon tea (you wont need lunch), twice daily room service. As it was our anniversary we got one night where they went all out with flowers, chocolate cake - so romantic! (all complimentary)
When I travel, I have never ever said that a place "blew me away" - as the place must be 110% clean (that's why I prefer new hotels) until Samaya. You wont find a hint of rust, dirt, hair, leaf outside etc.ha ha. I laughed at the "crack team" of cleaners. My husband only discovered 6 of them when he had to go back to villa when forgot something.
And service..well..never have I ever experienced a place that "anticipates" my needs before Ive thought of them. The food was outstanding and I want to really especially thank the bar / food staff as when I emailed I was gluten intolerant, they made sure my afternoon tea was spot on (and delicious), even TWICE coming back to me advising that something I ordered may have a little flour in it, and giving me something even better instead.
I could go on, but I wanted to give this recommendation to 1) thank all the staff at Samaya (even security was awesome) and 2) share this place with others.
Because of this experience, we are booking our next trip with our 2 kids for next year and recommended to all the family / friends.

Oh, give the spa a try (at sunset) - (what a location in the beach view room!) and although we did the spa at Bodyworks around the corner, it never compared!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 October 2009

I've just returned from a fantastic trip to Bali with my husband. We were taken with the reviews on tripadvisor so decided to stay at Samaya for a few nights at the end of the holiday. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my expectations were exceeded.
The hotel is at the top end of Seminyak but close to a few great restaurants so no need to worry about being too far out. The rooms were excellent (jacuzzi bath, huge bed, loan of an ipod, huge private swimming pool) and clean. The service was really lovely - not over-intrusive but helpful. Although the rooms were a bit expensive we found that we actually spent much less money there than a week in Ubud as we wanted for nothing more than what the hotel provided.
If you want to relax and feel pampered, I would recommend this hotel totally! Can't wait to go back!
The

Reviewed 21 October 2009

How do you express a experience that is beyond your wildest dreams ,we have travelled and stayed in some very upmarket hotels ,and my husband and I undeniably decided that this was the most beautiful place ever,but it is not just the surroundings it is the people and their philosophy that destresses you.Please do yourself a favour and experience the Samaya for yourself.

Reviewed 20 October 2009

My new wife I and spent 7 nights at the Samaya resort in Seminyak this year as part of our honeymoon. We can truly say in our opinion this is the finest hotel we have ever stayed at. From the first meeting with the staff to the final goodbyes we felt that our every need was being taken care of. This meant that we could concentrate on relaxing and enjoying our honeymoon together.
We were met by Ray the general manager on the first night who made us feel very welcome. He assured us that whilst we were guests of the hotel, his team were there to make sure we had all we needed throughout our stay. This was highlighted when Ray and his staff contacted our hotel in Hong Kong where we had left our camera in the room to arrange for it to be sent back to the UK.
The villa we stayed in was very spacious and in a great quiet location, quite simply it was out of this world. The villa’s pool was amazing, and it provided a nice opportunity for us to stay in some days and relax. There seems to be a crack team of cleaners that you never see who are always making sure the resort is kept immaculate. Our Villa was always cleaned whilst we were at breakfast in the morning without fail. The staff did a fantastic job working away behind the scenes and making sure the villa was always looking its best. They were extremely polite and so friendly, a credit to the resort.
The food in the hotel was excellent, we ate both in the restaurant and on the grass terraces for lunch and dinner. We really enjoyed the variety of the menu, especially the Nasi Goreng with a glass of wine watching the sun set overlooking the beach! There was something for everyone on the extensive menu.
We also took advantage of the resorts Spa facilities, which again were excellent. We experienced a 2.5hr couples spa treatment which was utter bliss and in such beautiful surroundings.
So if you are looking to stay at a friendly hotel with 5 star luxuries where all of your stresses are taken away this should be the first choice on your list. The only problem is that now we’ve been here any other resort will struggle to live up to this standard, a truly amazing place.
We know that Ray reads all of the reviews so we would like to thank him and his staff personally for all of their efforts in making sure our honeymoon was so special, we will be back soon ….
Thanks
Noel & Jo

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We had never been to Bali before but, after much research and consideration, we chose it as our honeymoon destination.
We booked a 7 day tour of the island with Tour East (excellent choice!) and decided to finish off our honeymoon with a 5 day stay at the Samaya.
We were welcomed with a foot bath which seems to be quite common in the other 4 hotels we stayed around the island, and we were welcomed to our villa number 205.
What an amasing place! The villa was built in a Balinese traditional style.
We had our own outdoor pool. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was amasing: flower bath, huge shower, etc.
We had hair dryer, iron and all the other essensials at our disposal.
We had a spa treatment that came with a goodie: another spa treatment! Hmmmm.
We ate every night apart from one at the Breeze restaurant which was superb.
The cocktails were also very yummy: we would highly recommend the bone crasher and semynak beauty.
During the day we went to Kuta, very busy, if not overwhelming place.
A couple of days we decided to stay by pool, we got plenty of water and complimentary afternoon tea which you cannot miss!
One night we went to the restaurant next door as you walk out on the beach by the Breeze. We thought the food there would be good and it was slightly cheaper but the food there wasn't half as nice.
So stay at the Breeze if you can afford it and enjoy the atmosphere!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple