All reviewsdusun villasbedroom villaeast meets westthree bedroomevery morningmr gedelocal dropla lucciolabodyworks spaseminyak squarebreakfast cookedmotel mexicolaprivate poolgrocer grindsea circusroom service menubreakfast and afternoon tea
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Having purchased cheap fares to Bali and knowing very little about the place, we chose the Dusun based on our travel agent's recommendation. To say that we loved it was an under statement! Because we travelled outside of peak season we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a three-bedroom villa, so we loved the spaciousness and the huge pool to ourselves.

The Dusun is very private and like many in Seminyak, is high-walled and has security guards to presumably prevent anyone from walking in. Because of the high walls, the property is extremely quiet and private; it's really an idyllic oasis. The 3 bedroom villas have plenty of space both around the pool and in the communal building, so a party of six would have plenty of room. It essentially is fully self-contained (apart from a laundry) so you could easily cook all your own meals. Although that's not really necessary given Bali prices. We loved having breakfast cooked daily by the staff and they returned later in the afternoon with a small snack for afternoon tea.

The staff are all extremely friendly and I believe that's genuine, because that's what we encountered from all the Balinese people. Nothing felt forced.

I'm not sure of the official rating of the hotel but I'd say its a good 4+ stars. There are some cracks here and there and some painting touch ups are needed in places, but that's really being picky.

The Dusun is very close to the well known Bodyworks where you can have all sorts of massages, facials and other treatments. They are a fabulous treat! Many other places offer massages too, but sometimes the cheaper price gives you some indication of the quality of the treatment.

The property is also within walking distance of Seminyak Square, other shopping areas and eateries. The beach is approximately 200 metres away, but the area isn't known for its beaches and one quick walk was enough for us.

Given half a chance I'd leap at the opportunity to visit The Dusun again and hopefully with a group of friends.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark W
Gede M, Front Office Manager at The Dusun, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear TreasureHunuterH,
We would like to thank you for your reviews on Trip advisor. We are very happy to know that you're enjoyed your stay at The Dusun and by the chance we had an opportunity to upgrading you into our 3 bedroom villa.
Thank you also for your constructive comments toward our property and meantime we are ongoing to upgrading and renovating our Dusun property. We are currently in the situation of changing and upgrading part of our property such as bathroom tile and bathtub design step by step and hopefully will be completely changes next year. Other part of property are also on our attention such as; garden, wall, furniture, and also crack issue.
Thank you also for your compliment in relation to our services. Our family at The Dusun offering you a family service concept where everyone are friendly, smile, helpful and look after each other..
Once again, thank you for have staying with us and looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed at The Dusun from 10-13 October 2013.

Reserving a room was fuss free. Even after the reservation was done, I contacted The Dusun one week out from my stay to confirm the reservation, airport transfer, and to ask if they could make a reservation for me at a restaurant. Their response was quick, friendly, and they made the restaurant reservation for me with no trouble at all.

During the stay we were upgraded to a three room villa, which was spacious and beautifully designed. Throughout the stay the staff were exceedingly friendly and attentive, and would cater to your every need. All you have to do is ask. We made restaurant reservations, had food delivered, and had massages done in the comfort of the villa.

In terms of location, you can walk to great restaurants like The Breeze and La Luciola, shopping at Seminyak Square, nightlife at Ku De Ta, and good massages at Bodyworks. You may not even have to walk at all as The Dusun would gladly arrange a car to take you to nearby places if you asked.

Could not have asked for anything more. Would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: A three bed room villa was mighty spacious for one couple, and would be a fantastic place to stay for multiple couples

Dear,
Let me express our sincere thanks to you for have posted your experiences whilst stay with our Dusun family. We really appreciate about it. It was great to know that you had such a memorable experiences at The Dusun. We were also very happy had opportunity to upgrade your experiences into our 3 bedroom villa.
In terms of location , we are proudly saying that we are very good spot, where we close to the beach, shopping area, restaurant and bar area etc but we also providing a drop off service for free if guest would go further to Kuta or seminyak area.
Once again thank you for your lovely feedback and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Dusan is a little difficult to find being off a side alley however it did allow for a quiet and peaceful night sleep. While the villas are beautifully equipped the whole property was looking a little "tired". Loved having our own pool and chefs who cooked breakfasts daily in our outside kitchen area. Was close to Seminyak Square where local markets and eateries are held. Also close to beach. Beware of time share scammers, under construction sidewalks and rubbish littered along beaches. Overall a wonderful holiday stay!

Room Tip: Villa 8 had better daylight sun than villa 14. Also loved the huge shower area in villa 8 as apposed to a "shower in the tub" in Villa 14.
2  Thank Caroline G
Gede M, Front Office Manager at The Dusun, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Caroline G,
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recently stay at The Dusun. We are more than glad to find that you enjoyed the entire stay with our Dusun family.
Yes, you are right that The Dusun is located in a side alley however we still offer a quiet and peaceful night sleep and warm Balinese family service concept.
Thank you also for your constructive comments toward our whole property and we are currently ongoing of renovating and upgrading our facilities.
We are looking forward to seeing you again at The Dusun. Thank you

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Family of 5 holiday booking. Kids aged 14 to 7.
We stayed in villa 7. The best one as it was the most recently returned.
Amazing resort. So relaxing. The only thing people need to be aware of is the separate villa in the garden. Our 2 boys stayed there with no worries at all but it is detached ie each sleeping area is separate.
We had the BBQ in room experience which we loved and was very traditional.
Coffe and grind is about a 5 to 10 minute walk and makes the best pizza and coffee. The hotel staff will run up for you but we always walked
The location is about 1 min from body works massages a massive day spa. Very good and very cheap. It's a further minute to the beach but don't let kids swim here its got rips everywhere. Stay in the hotel pool.
Restaurants. La luciola is about 3 minutes away and is absolute beachfront. Amazing. Ku da ta was great and potato head is an amazing venue but food was pretty average and expensive.
The dusan was amazing. We'd be back anytime - magnif

Room Tip: Get to know the staff. They will bend over backwards to assist. Wayan especially.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Justin M
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Dusun is obviously highly regarded and recent reviews have been very positive which is what helped us decide to book a one bedroom villa and pay the higher price in comparison to some other options. Also not knowing the area means that there is a much stronger reliance on other people's reviews and comments.

Having stayed there a week and now with a better understanding of the geography of Seminyak and other accommodation offerings, I think I'd still choose The Dusun. I liked the location which was a good access point for the placed that I'd want to go such the centre of Seminyak (10 min walk), the beach (5 minute walk), Bodyworks (across the road) and the bars and restaurants near Potato Head.

Arguably there are other accommodation options nearby that are more budget friendly - B Villa + Seaside and the Sense Hotel being options. However I would prefer a better pool area than what is on offer at the Sense Hotel and the reviews of B Villa are mixed so it's a question of taking a risk for a lower price. The reviews of Dusun are so much more reassuring and having a good pool area (shared or private) is important to us.

The staff at The Dusun were always helpful assisting with restaurant reservations. Room service from neighbouring restaurants was good - just be aware The Dusun will add a small premium to the actual restaurant prices but it's not unreasonable. Same applies if you book a driver through them or change money. They don't charge crazy margins so it's like paying a little more for the convenience which is some cases is worth it.

Breakfast was reasonable. Preferable to hotel buffet breakfasts but not a huge choice. It's The bacon is a little strange but I think that's a Bali thing rather than a Dusun thing. Fresh juice was good as were the different fruit plates offered. It's a good start to the day but it's not massive so unlike the buffet breakfasts that mean lunch can be skipped. I liked it though as it meant by the time lunchtime came, we would be ready to head on out.

It was convenient to be able to request what time the room should be serviced as it meant it could be done when we were out and it was ready for us upon our return. Same with turn down although there were a couple of times we were there when it happened which was fine. I liked that the pool was checked regularly and it was well kept.

I loved the space we had. Our package included a dinner and a lunch - not exactly gourmet food but acceptable enough. And the candle decorations for the dinner were beautiful. Being able to dine amidst floating candles in bathrobes was such a relaxing experience that even though the food wasn't the most amazing, it was still a lovely night. Having said that though, when I first saw the outside sofa areas I imagined sitting there in the evenings and enjoying the balmy temperatures beneath the ceiling fan but sadly too many mozzies to do so. The Dusun try and help with this but the mozzie coils and spraying don't have as powerful an impact in the open air.

Also liked being able to plug in our own iPod for some music.

Laundry service was good as were the drivers. The airport pick up and drop off were really welcome because it's just so much more convenient. I know that getting a taxi or arranging a driver isn't hard. In fact Tripadvisor makes it really easy what what with recommendations and advice but it really is easier to know that one booking includes it and that it's done. Really felt that could ask the front desk to help with anything and they would.

I haven't rated The Dusun as excellent. The reasons behind these are very very minor and may not matter to some people but I think it's the small touches that differentiate very good and excellent. The reasons are:

- More towels need to be provided, both bath and pool without having to call housekeeping every day. There is one bath towel per person but I'd also like hand towels for the hair and also for drying hands.
- Wider choice of breakfast options so not just bacon and eggs (although different style eggs were offered) for the American choice. Perhaps other sides like mushrooms, spinach etc
- Diet drinks like diet coke offered in the free mini bar service.
- I'd have loved to have been able to order a cocktail when lounging by the pool. I'd have paid decent prices to have been able to have had someone bring me a fruity, iced drink with an umbrella or a cold, creamy, boozy one instead of having to get up and walk to a cafe or bar.
- Better non slip bath mats in the bathroom. There isn't a shower curtain or screen and the floor gets really slippy and given the size of the bathroom the one small bath mat (towel one) isn't enough. Perhaps a bigger one and another one to lay down near the sinks.
- I know late check out isn't always available and really is a perk and luck of the draw and I know it's unreasonable for a hotel to offer one for no financial reward (I was prepared to pay) but it would be really nice to have some option for travellers with late flights. I would have thought they would have been used to travellers leaving on late flights that they may have thought of something such as offering a shower room or somewhere to get changed / freshen up before leaving for the airport. Actually I'd have been thankful even for a recommendation of something / somewhere to go on the last day after checking out but we had to make up our own plan which incidentally involved a massage and shower at Bodyworks which was a godsend.

Like I say, no one minor is a big thing but if some of the above was addressed I'd rate The Dusun as full marks.

1  Thank Minda B