“Not the best or the worst”

Puri Dewa Bharata Hotel & Villas
Ranked #117 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were welcomed by staff who gave us a nice cool juice. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.
Myself and 2 of my friends had booked an "upstairs villa" which when we got there was just one big room with a huge double bed but then just a mattress on the floor for the 3rd person although that never bother us.
It had said we would have a balcony- which we never. Room is a decent size with an ok bathroom but definitely wouldn't call it a villa.
Wifi in the room was very slow and couldn't connect most of the time.

Pool area was lovely although we never used it.
We ate in the restaurant one night and certainly wouldn't recommend it. Food was smallest portion ever, and it was cold. We ordered garlic bread and got 4 sliced of whole meal toast with bits of garlic sprinkled on top.
"Cocktails" were also disgusting.

Area is good, across from a minimart and chemist. And a 10 minute walk from shops and restaurants.

I would stay here again however the restaurant lets this hotel down.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lindsmc93

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed here for a few nights in august 2013 solo whilst waiting for a mate to fly in.
A typical Balinese style hotel. Rooms are clean and quiet. Breakfast probably isn't up to the standard of the other more expensive hotels but it is still good enough. Pool is quite small with limited spots to sit. Staff are very helpful. The hotel is a small walk from the main streets of seminyak and there are plenty of eats and shops close by. I would recommend this hotel for a few nights but don't expect too much!

Room Tip: Higher rooms were dark enough and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Jamsue_dc7
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Rooms are nice! Especially villas (upstairs and downstairs) with big covered outside 'living room' with sofas and fans, little pond. Staff are lovely and helpful! Nice pool and free shuttle to the beach which is apparently 10-20 minutes walk.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catharine B
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed at the Puri Dewa Bharata Hotel & Villas with my partner and was returning home after some dinner.

As we climbed the stairwell to our room I noticed a Balinese man standing on the balcony of one of the rooms close to ours I thought this strange.

When he did see me he quickly hid under the fence of the balcony so I pretended I did not see him and continued to open the door to the room but was watching him from the corner of my eye.

As I was doing this the man from the room which the Balinese man was peeping through started to open his door to come out side when the Balinese man heard this he jumped up on the balcony fence and quickly darted away from site.

All very, very suspicious!!!

I was a little shaken to see this sort of action so I waited about 20 minutes and thought about “what next” I then decided it my duty to tell the couple that the security man was looking through his window.

When I got to their room I told them what I had just witnessed and they both where visibly very shocked the man got quite angry and the lady well I could see the sadness in her eyes.

The man then asked to see the management about this but being later in the night the on duty staff said that they had gone home and would return the next morning – fair enough.

We then asked to see the head of security when he did arrive he did not know anything and said there would be an investigation at this stage the couple got angry and demanded something to be done immediately and I also demanded action.

Having something like this is completely un acceptable in and in some countries a police investigation would follow but being in Bali that really does not apply unless you pay money for their help.

15 minutes later the security many that I saw peeping through the window appeared and said that he was looking for a cat we all laughed and the security man got abuse from every corner he did not know what to do.

This was a complete lie!! When I saw him he was not looking for a cat he was looking through the window!!

If there was a cat on the balcony why did he not just knock on the door and ask if he could get the cat – normal practice for anyone I’m sure you would agree.

We knew he was lying and you could see in his face that he knew he had been caught out!!

All this went for about 1 hour and we all then retired to our rooms for the night.

The next morning the couple did meet the management and they seemed not to really care and said that the Balinese man was looking for a cat obviously trying to cover up thins.

We all checked out and decided to go to other hotels because we all felt extremely uncomfortable about the night’s events.

Let you decide if you want to stay at this hotel but me I will never return and will be warning everyone I know to stay away.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank John A
Reviewed 17 March 2014

we loved or stay here with helpful and very friendly staff. great value with wonderful downstairs villa's. love the bali style buildings and beautiful gardens, so close to everything but still not in the middle of it all so just that little quieter. yummy buffet breakfast in the morning and the free shuttle into kuta is a great service. we definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 10 nights with my daughters and found it good value all around.

Pros are lovely bali style buildings and architecture ,very helpful and friendly staff and a great location to visit Kuta (free shuttle) and Seminyak only a 10 min walk or 30k rupiah for a cab. Do not miss the spa next the minimart across the road ..very good quality at great prices ..lovely ladies and do try so the Warung 888 opposite the hotel ..best food and fresh juice for a few dollars!

Cons the bathrooms are windowless, hot and never really clean. The wifi is non existent in your room despite assurances ..we moved rooms to try to llll outside in the heat being bitten by mozzies but the second room was worse ..first world problems I know but when travelling with two teens it did get annoying given we stayed 10 days . The breakfast was average quality..frustrating as there were lots of choices but just mediocre taste.

Despite the above I'd recommend this hotel though not perfect it's good value and the vibe and staff are old school Bali which suited this trip.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank deeCentralCoast
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Just returned from a 4 Day trip to Bali with my wife. This is our first trip to Bali. Stayed at the Puri Dewa Bharata Village hotel on recommendations of a friend. Despite finding more adverse than positive feedbacks from TA members on this hotel, we still thought that we should give it a try.

We stayed for 3 nights in the Superior Deluxe Room with breakfast. Generally, we find the standard of the hotel to be acceptable based on the room rates that we paid for. The staff were friendly and polite.

Although many TA members thought the breakfast was fantastic, we found it mediocre with very basic standard fare.

I would also agree with some TA members that their room doors need some fixing. While trying to maintain its Balinese architectural design, the room doors is only secured with a padlock which could easily be pushed open slightly revealing the inside of the rooms. When inside, one would also find it difficult to secure the latch in order to lock the door.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple