“Lives up to the hype! Not free chef, priceless...”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Angie W
Hervey Bay, Australia
“Lives up to the hype! Not free chef, priceless chef!”
Reviewed 14 July 2018 for a stay in July 2018
person found this review helpful

Our extended family group stayed at Umalas Retreat in Villas 1 & 2 for a total of 10 nights. Our group ranged in age from 12 to 82 years old. We therefore had a broad range of needs and interests to cater for but everyone enjoyed their stay immensely.

Our group arrived and departed on different flights at different times and we were all accommodated by the professional drivers doing the Villa’s airport transfers. The Villa itself has huge, comfortable beds (and we are very fussy about these), spacious rooms and light, spacious bathrooms. The indoor-outdoor connectivity was very cool. This was enhanced by the vegetation fringe coming down from the roof over the bamboo screens. Each day the security staff would discretely appear to roll the blinds up or down depending on whether you needed light or shade based on the time of day. Although we saw perhaps one mosquito while we stayed there mosquito coils were lit every afternoon.

The pools were used daily. The pools and gardens were maintained regularly. One day we took advantage of in-house spa treatments in the garden space beside the pool, again which was no problem for the villa staff. We were able to have massages, head spas, manicures and pedicures without having to leave the villas conducted by discrete and professional practitioners.

All of the Villa staff were friendly and welcoming. Villa 1’s butler, Mr Komang, was amazing. He welcomed us into the Villa and looked after our many needs. He's an awesome chef - do yourself a favour and try his fried wantons, gado gado, sautéed vegetables or just about anything else on the extensive menu! He works so efficiently getting through his housekeeping duties it's amazing to watch. He's that good that the other butlers are in awe of his efficiency also.

We took full advantage of the onsite chefs and the Villa offerings. We enjoyed delicious breakfasts on most mornings, had a la carte dinners many nights and lunch on occasions when we stayed in the villas. We had Risttafel banquets on two evenings, and even enjoyed a full Babi Guling banquet for 15 on one night. Yum, just yum! The staff set up special lighting and tables in the open space to accommodate the group. The villa staff collaborated seamlessly to deliver these big meals and on one occasion even discretely set up in the other villa while everyone was chatting so that we would not be disturbed.

On Mr Komang's days off we had the privilege to be looked after by the warm and sweet Ratna. She is quietly competent and very obliging also. Surprise, surprise – Ratna is also an amazing cook!

The security staff are discrete but ever-present, making you feel secure and safe which is a real bonus when you are travelling with young adults. We felt comfortable moving between the Villas day and night.

As for planning our stay and things to do while in Bali, Mrs Kay was a wealth of knowledge. She recommended some great shopping destinations, excellent restaurants and gave us guidance on where to start to plan our tours and days out. She also assisted with arranging our in-house spa treatments. The villa has access to private drivers through Mr Putu. They were friendly, efficient and knowledgeable and, always important, they came at a reasonable cost.

You would not regret staying here.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
MardiGirl...
Balmain, Australia
“B E W A R E !!!!!!”
Reviewed 11 June 2018 for a stay in May 2018
people found this review helpful

So disappointed with the owner's cold , heartless response, when I recently (suddenly, bcos of a terrible sporting accident my son was involved in) had to cancel my yearly Bali trip.
Asked her if she could CREDIT me.

I DID NOT WANT ANY OF MY FUNDS BACK !!

I requested a credit. So I could rebooked for later in the year.
But apparently she has her "rules". And kept ALL of my funds !!!
The total amount I had paid $750 approx. For my five night stay.
It has left such a bad taste in my mouth.
I was coming for a solo getaway. But also to check out somewhere to spend my birthday next year.
I definitely will not be booking my 60th in 2019 here. Myself and six other ladies will be finding somewhere else ! ( With Balinese owners)
I would never deal with this BUSINESS woman again.
She might have her rules ! But really ? Show some compassion for a persons situation.
I have told all my friends ( who are also Bali lovers) and all my clients.
I will never ever book accommodation in Bali again owned by greedy Australians. !!!
Be very careful !!!!!

Management Response
12 Jun 2018
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review Maryanne. We are happy to accept both good and bad feedback.

Whilst we still understand your situation, it does not change the fact that you cancelled within 30 days of check in, which, as explained in the booking and cancellation terms and conditions that you accepted when you first chose to stay with us, falls within the period that we cannot offer a refund or credit.

Our terms and conditions also state:
Note: We highly recommend that you obtain travel insurance as soon as you have booked your flights and / or accommodation, to protect you in the event that your circumstances change, and you cannot travel as planned.

You chose not to do this.

Further, you blatantly attempted to blackmail us when you sent us an email stating “if I do not receive funds into my account by the end of the week I will be writing a very negative review on all of your booking platforms.”

As a well established and respected business, we chose not to respond to your threat.

We are very sorry that you were unable to travel, however stand by our position to be firm in our adherence to our openly published and very transparent booking and cancellation terms and conditions.

Kindest regards,

Kay Shearn
Paul M
“Nice villa but not a gem”
Reviewed 12 May 2018 for a stay in May 2018
people found this review helpful

Well-furnished villa as advertised in the pictures. Komang cooked for us and was pleasant to talk to although his English was approximate. However, for such a well-rated and high-scale property we were disappointed with the noise (loud water pump, kindergarden adjacent to the villa) and cleanliness (dirty toilet bowl, shower head clogged with limescale). On our last day we had the disturbing experience of receiving guidelines for how much we should tip the villa staff which were grossly exaggerated, above anything we've seen in Bali.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Natalie E
“Bali Umalas-Retreat Villa 2”
Reviewed 4 May 2018 for a stay in April 2018

My partner, Buster and I stayed at the beautiful Umalas-Retreat in Villa 2 for 9 days. It was an exotic, wonderful break from Australia and Villa 2 was 5 star as was the butler, I Komang and drivers, Mr I Putu and I Noman. The villa was always immaculate, tastefully decorated. We had everything you could possibly need, on a break, and more The villa had a relaxed and serene ambience with a yoga studio and farm land directly next door, complete with a cow grazing. It is a 10 min cab ride to Seminyak beach ($4AUD) where you can swim, surf, shop and do lunch at Chez Gado Gado on right on the water. Stunningly well done for holiday makers.
During our stay, our host (and kind friend) Mrs Kay showed us that all requests during our stay were promptly taken care of. Nothing was too much trouble.
During our stay, my partner Buster and I experienced 'true bali' as well as 'modern bali, experiencing, among the many highlights, Tirta Holy Water Blessings Temple near Ubud in the mountains, one of the many sea temples around Bali's coastline, Tanah Lot (I think there are 8 sea temples), Mt Kintamani/Mt Agung, Seminyak and the Bali Marine Park and Zoo in Denpasar. This is a world class conservationalist zoo, which is on par, with Australia Zoo in Beerwah. Its mind blowing with indonesian, indian AND african animals. The animals are treated like royalty, as they should be! I feed a white bengal tiger,Keishza and Buster and I rode elephants going right up to zebras and rhinoceroses.One of the few places on planet earth where, as a traveller, you can have this rare experience. The Balinese people are gentle, proud and caring. This was displayed in the day to day interactions, in particular, with our Villa 2 Chef I Komang, whose wife hails from the descendant of the King of Java, who brought his family to Bali, 300 years ago. Komang cooked 5 star Balinese meals, he was well organised, honest and gave us most thoughtful travel tips to see the real Balinese peoples and their way of life, which still goes on today, in certain pockets in Bali. Umalas Retreat Villa 2 is an experience, not just another destination, for true travellers and lovers of seeing the world and different cultures. Thankyou Mrs Kay, I Komang, I Nomang, Mr Putu and a special thankyou to the peoples of Bali. Namastexo

Meander71...
“Lovely villas and perfect for our large group.”
Reviewed 13 November 2017 for a stay in October 2017
person found this review helpful

We were a large group of two families and had a fantastic stay at Umalas retreat 2 and 4. The villas have everything you need, the pool is great and the kids were in it/them morning till night. Kay is so friendly and had some great tips on where to go etc. Also the lead up to the holiday she responded very quickly to my emails. Our chef and housekeeper Yuni was wonderful and even organised (together with my mom and husband) an amazing traditional Balinese suckling pig dinner for my twin sister and my 40th birthdays. Will definitely be back in the future.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Leesie W
“Beautiful paradise”
Reviewed 31 October 2017 for a stay in October 2017
person found this review helpful

My best friend and i stayed 4 nights and we were more than impressed. The villa is very well equipped. The pool was great to cool down everyday. Kohman was lovely. He is very flexible with our plans. And the bonus is there are great cafes in the area. It's not in the heart of seminak but we were happy to be away from the craziness and be in tranquility. Would highly recommend

Rachel B
“The Perfect Start to our Bali Adventure”
Reviewed 24 October 2017 for a stay in October 2017
people found this review helpful

We had the joy of being able to stay at Umalas Retreat 2 for 4 night for the beginning of our Bali holiday.
All I can say is WOW! The staff are lovely, Komang looked after us every day, cooking us breakfast and making sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed.
The accommodation was beautiful, you walk through the doors into a private paradise of your own.
Whether you want to relax by the pool or in the pool, read a book on the sun bed, explore the local sites or go into Seminyak, you are close to everything.
We were even invited to enjoy a traditional Balinese feast of suckling pig with another villa. It was amazing and we felt so welcome by all the staff, security and other villa guests.
Highly recommended to anyone who is coming to Bali. I will be telling all of my friends!

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing