...I still can't explain why I can't give it 5-stars other than it really isn't. 4.5 stars perhaps. I generally consider a hotel 5-star if it was truly amazing or some factor stands out that makes you still think about your stay after you've returned home. Don't get me wrong though, this is still a very, very good property and I have no major gripes. Let me explain.
My wife and I, along with a number of family members and friends, visited this hotel recently for a wedding. We had a great experience. Overall thoughts were:
* Right on the beach, excellent location at the end of a street and you can walk right on to the beach from the pool deck / open patio restaurant. The beach was excellent, very clean (for a public beach), not that crowded at all, good soft sand, and has a very long beach area before you hit the water (both low and high tides). Water was great, waves were solid 5 - 7 footers, very clean (although not crystal blue), no complaints at all. This was one of my favorite aspects of this hotel. It was about 30 - 45 mins by taxi from the airport. Traffic was insane but it is what it is.
We were upgraded to an Ocean View (GHA benefit) and it was great. Very large, clean, well appointed. Excellent condition, well maintained, and faces the ocean (west) so we had a beautiful sunset on the balcony (with large tub) every evening. Some may complain about the noise of waves crashing in the evening but we loved it. Sound proofing between rooms and between floors was also great. This is one of my pet peeves when hotels have thin walls but no issues here. Overall, fantastic, no complaints. We paid about $420 +/- per night which is not outrageous but not cheap either. But we certainly got what we expected at this price point, relative to other hotels in area and region.
Another excellent area. The staff at the restaurant, Wild Orchid, as well as the staff on the pool desk, front desk, all around, were all excellent. Listened to our requests and actually got them all right! (Including custom breakfast orders, which is a la carte but included in room price). Christiane Wasfy, the new GM, has done a great job so far managing this property I think. Overall, very happy with the service as well (to put this in context, my wife and I, for better or worse, are quite annoying picky about good service)
First potential area for improvement - although not sure if this is unique to Bali or to this hotel. We tried a couple of other restaurants on the street and they were exponentially worse. The taste was mediocre and prices were not cheap either; however, still better than what we got at other restaurants outside of the hotel. So just manage your expectations. Selection for room service and in the restaurants was also not a lot either, although it wasn't poor. Again, not a huge complain but certainly not great; thus, the "meh" review for food. The morning breakfast was great, consistent with other Anantara properties and we very much enjoyed it.
SOS Supper Club - beautiful view restaurant / lounge / outdoor rooftop venue - excellent. We were surprised to find this and it was great. Fantastic view, great place to have a couple of evening drinks, they play music some nights, show sports others, and good for large parties, etc. Food, however, was mediocre - consistent with review above
Pool - great infinity pool outside of the restaurant which most people used. Large enough to do laps (not wide) and it wasn't that crowded at all. There are 2 other pools which I didn't see anybody use - one in between the buildings, always covered so no sun; the other by the swim-up rooms which is quite small. Appropriate for a quick dip vs. pool to lounge
Gym - small, but good enough. Not very new but has some basic equipment, dumbells up to 40lbs, 1 treadmill, 1 bike, 1 elliptical, cable crossover, pulldown, etc. Certainly decent, but not "wow"
Also, we noticed that this resort has mostly couples (probably 80%+) or groups of friends but no children; perhaps it was the time of the year we went or maybe this is the general clientele. This was perfect for us so no complaints.
Our one annoying complaint is that the staff shares the same elevator as guests and it is very, very slow. Not to say that they shouldn't because we're guests vs. staff, but because they occupy it all the time so we often waited for quite a long time (90% of the time we took an elevator). Also, most of the time we took the elevator we were in there with staff transporting bins of laundry, supplies, etc. Not very pleasant. But overall, it was the wait that was the most annoying, and to find out that it was tied up floor-to-floor by hotel staff was even more irritating.
Overall, we thought this was a great property and very deserving of a solid 4 or 4.5 stars. Not quite a 5-star though (i.e., Anantara Kihavah in the Maldives).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Anantara's all-suite Bali resort at Seminyak offers a distinctly contemporary design approach blended with Balinese and Indonesian culture, ocean views, expansive balconies and Anantara's inimitable Jacuzzi terrazzo bath tubs big enough for two. Our all-suite resort amenities range from the glorious rooftop lounge SOS Supper Club and rooftop Anantara Spa to one infinity edge swimming pool staring out upon the Indian Ocean. Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort matches its elegant approach to travel with one of the most upmarket locations in Indonesia, containing chic restaurants and cafes, trendy nightlife and internationally renowned shopping opportunities. With nearby historical charms and our Bali hotel's fastidious approach to both design and facilities, Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort provides an unforgettable accommodation experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Holiday Gems, Southall Travel, Ebookers, TravelUp, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Seminyak Resort And Spa, Bali
- Anantara Seminyak Resort & Spa, Bali Hotel Seminyak
- Anantara Hotel Seminyak
- Anantara Seminyak Hotel Bali
- Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort