“Beautiful location, fantastic hotel”

Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort
Ranked #53 of 146 Hotels in Seminyak
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful location, fantastic hotel”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We have recently returned from our honeymoon where we stayed for two weeks at the Anantara in Seminyak. We were upgraded to an ocean view room - what a beautiful view from the balcony and a great place to sit in the jacuzzi watching the sun go down with a glass of champagne. The hotel also gave us 2 x 90 minute massages as a special treat and a further two 30 minute massages in our room. Amazing, and so relaxing!

We loved the boutique nature of the hotel - only 60 rooms in total, and they were only at half capacity when we were there, so there were almost as many staff as guests. Which brings me on to service - the staff at the Anantara are amazing, they are unfailingly polite and friendly, providing excellent service, whilst also being discrete - a rare combination.

The pool is great - stunning infinity pool overlooking the ocean. The sun beds are great - double sunloungers are a first for me. Free water at the pool is a great bonus. Made and Dewa are great poolboys. Free tapas and afternoon cocktails are another really nice touch.

We ate a fair bit at the hotel. Breakfast is excellent, Wild Orchid is good for lunch, if a little on the expensive side (there are better options if you're prepared to walk 5-10 minutes up the road) and the restaurant is also good in the evenings. The themed evenings are very nice, although again, quite expensive - although as they are buffets you can definitely get your money's worth! The SOS Dinner Club on the top floor is great fun - we had a great steak there one evening, and then had tapas and cocktails on the beds another evening whilst watching the sun go down. Great views and a great ambience up there - just a shame it wasn't busier to have a better vibe.

All in all, we had the most amazing, relaxing stay at the Anantara. The staff could not do enough to ensure we had a great time. We will certainly try and go back - it's just quite a long way from London!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are great (although make sure you like the sound of the waves crashing in at night...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
perth
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This was simply a stunningly good stay. Service exceptional - food exceptional - vista exceptional- bed brilliant- room and turn down service exceptional. The only thing I reported on my departure was the eating knives where not sharp enough and I have since received and email noting my comment and suggesting they would be attending to the matter. You just wont get a a more non-stress holiday. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 September 2012

UTTER DISAPPOINTMENT…. For those who don’t care to read a more detailed review, that’s how I would sum up my stay at Anantara Seminyak Resort & Spa, Bali. This supposed luxury hotel’s Penthouse suite has clearly seen better days. It’s only about 5 years old but looks at least twice it’s age with no maintenance or care in the interim. I, with my family, stayed at the Penthouse and I cannot stress enough how I feel my time and money would’ve been much better spent elsewhere. The Penthouse is this hotel’s top category room and there is only ONE of it, hence I’d expected it to have been given some extra care and attention. What I found was a room that obviously had not been maintained properly in years. There were large holes and stains in the poolside cushions, curtains that were difficult to draw due to runners that wouldn’t run properly along the rusty curtain rail, curtains falling off the railings, doors with splits along the edges at eye-level, which only the blind would’ve missed, a bench with splits in it and was warped to the point of visibly ripping from it’s cement base. I accept a certain amount of wear and tear to show through but at the rate that this hotel charges for their supposed top tier room, it is completely unacceptable to have such obvious faults show through. These are glaring faults and not maintenance matters that could not have been easily resolved had some attention been paid to it. Did the management not visit this room for a bit of inspection and review over the years? Anantara ought to be ashamed of itself and embarrassed. I have never stayed in a room of this category and price range and found a room in such a state of disrepair nor have I ever found myself in such a hurry to check out. In fact, I don't know why I didn't demand to cut my 3-night stay shorter and move somewhere else instead. I did eventually move but it had been planned beforehand, thank goodness.

The air-conditioning was absolutely useless between dawn and sunset, only managing to cool the rooms during the night. This made it impossible for us to stay in the Penthouse in the afternoons. My 4-year old son takes his nap between 2:30pm and 4:30pm. He awoke drenched in sweat even after sleeping in only a t-shirt and shorts with no cover. I took take a nap at 4:00pm on the day we arrived and was awakened 30 mins later by sweat dripping off my neck. I was on top of the bed with only a light pair of shorts on. Opening the doors in the hopes of catching a breeze didn’t work. It was just as hot or hotter. The breeze couldn’t get in to the room.

The staff, every rung up to the management, was very friendly and service was very good. Our butler was very attentive and made our stay bearable. The new General Manager, who started only a few weeks ago, personally greeted us as soon as she arrived at work and again upon our departure.

I’ve stayed at Legian, which is not far from Anatara, Four Season’s Sayan and am currently staying in a Three-Bedroom Residence Villa at Four Season’s Jimbaran, where I moved to after hurrying out of Anantara before we started being baked alive again. I highly recommend these hotels, with their comparable rates, to anyone who is considering the Penthouse at Anantara. Their service is just as top notch, if not better, but the quality of those properties far exceed Anantara’s to the point where it would be unimaginable, and even embarrassing, to mention them in the same breath.

The people at this hotel made our stay worth remembering. Otherwise, it left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I wish the new GM and her team the best of luck in their effort to restore the lustre of what could otherwise be a gem. They’ve certainly got their work cut out for them with the years of neglect this property has obviously received.

A friend has told me that Anantara’s Chiang Rai resort is worth visiting. I am truly afraid of a visit to another Anantara resort after this experience but I trust my friend’s taste and reviews. Perhaps I’ll give them one more chance.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose the Penthouse....in fact, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank LuxGlobetrotting
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2012

...I still can't explain why I can't give it 5-stars other than it really isn't. 4.5 stars perhaps. I generally consider a hotel 5-star if it was truly amazing or some factor stands out that makes you still think about your stay after you've returned home. Don't get me wrong though, this is still a very, very good property and I have no major gripes. Let me explain.

My wife and I, along with a number of family members and friends, visited this hotel recently for a wedding. We had a great experience. Overall thoughts were:

Location:

* Right on the beach, excellent location at the end of a street and you can walk right on to the beach from the pool deck / open patio restaurant. The beach was excellent, very clean (for a public beach), not that crowded at all, good soft sand, and has a very long beach area before you hit the water (both low and high tides). Water was great, waves were solid 5 - 7 footers, very clean (although not crystal blue), no complaints at all. This was one of my favorite aspects of this hotel. It was about 30 - 45 mins by taxi from the airport. Traffic was insane but it is what it is.

Room:

We were upgraded to an Ocean View (GHA benefit) and it was great. Very large, clean, well appointed. Excellent condition, well maintained, and faces the ocean (west) so we had a beautiful sunset on the balcony (with large tub) every evening. Some may complain about the noise of waves crashing in the evening but we loved it. Sound proofing between rooms and between floors was also great. This is one of my pet peeves when hotels have thin walls but no issues here. Overall, fantastic, no complaints. We paid about $420 +/- per night which is not outrageous but not cheap either. But we certainly got what we expected at this price point, relative to other hotels in area and region.

Service:

Another excellent area. The staff at the restaurant, Wild Orchid, as well as the staff on the pool desk, front desk, all around, were all excellent. Listened to our requests and actually got them all right! (Including custom breakfast orders, which is a la carte but included in room price). Christiane Wasfy, the new GM, has done a great job so far managing this property I think. Overall, very happy with the service as well (to put this in context, my wife and I, for better or worse, are quite annoying picky about good service)

Food:

First potential area for improvement - although not sure if this is unique to Bali or to this hotel. We tried a couple of other restaurants on the street and they were exponentially worse. The taste was mediocre and prices were not cheap either; however, still better than what we got at other restaurants outside of the hotel. So just manage your expectations. Selection for room service and in the restaurants was also not a lot either, although it wasn't poor. Again, not a huge complain but certainly not great; thus, the "meh" review for food. The morning breakfast was great, consistent with other Anantara properties and we very much enjoyed it.

Other facilities:

SOS Supper Club - beautiful view restaurant / lounge / outdoor rooftop venue - excellent. We were surprised to find this and it was great. Fantastic view, great place to have a couple of evening drinks, they play music some nights, show sports others, and good for large parties, etc. Food, however, was mediocre - consistent with review above

Pool - great infinity pool outside of the restaurant which most people used. Large enough to do laps (not wide) and it wasn't that crowded at all. There are 2 other pools which I didn't see anybody use - one in between the buildings, always covered so no sun; the other by the swim-up rooms which is quite small. Appropriate for a quick dip vs. pool to lounge

Gym - small, but good enough. Not very new but has some basic equipment, dumbells up to 40lbs, 1 treadmill, 1 bike, 1 elliptical, cable crossover, pulldown, etc. Certainly decent, but not "wow"

Also, we noticed that this resort has mostly couples (probably 80%+) or groups of friends but no children; perhaps it was the time of the year we went or maybe this is the general clientele. This was perfect for us so no complaints.

Our one annoying complaint is that the staff shares the same elevator as guests and it is very, very slow. Not to say that they shouldn't because we're guests vs. staff, but because they occupy it all the time so we often waited for quite a long time (90% of the time we took an elevator). Also, most of the time we took the elevator we were in there with staff transporting bins of laundry, supplies, etc. Not very pleasant. But overall, it was the wait that was the most annoying, and to find out that it was tied up floor-to-floor by hotel staff was even more irritating.

Overall, we thought this was a great property and very deserving of a solid 4 or 4.5 stars. Not quite a 5-star though (i.e., Anantara Kihavah in the Maldives).

Room Tip: Ocean Room definitely, top floor right underneath Penthouse. Not the end ones by the parking lot...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RNG1008
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We are just back from our 2 week stay at this hotel and could not have been more delighted with our time at the Anantara. We have never come across such friendly staff. The hotel it self is one of the best for being right on the beach from Seminyak right down to Kuta. The room is enormous, very very clean. The bed is massive and the must comfortable bed in the world. My wife hates that a fidget which keeps here awake but she never felt me fidget at all in this bed. Theres a well stocked mini bar, pricy spirits but so is the rest of Bali. Well stocked bathroom complimentaries, everything you could think of. The food is to die for, we had the Asian and BBQ night. Bit pricey but very nice if you want pampered. Being Honeymooners we had complmentary Anantara signature massages and a Jacuzzi experience which were great. The SOS bar on the roof is very chic, a hidden gem as some nights it is quite quiet but if this was in Legian or Kuta it would be mobbed out the door. If was great chilling with a cocktail watch the sunset. The sunsets here are amazing. Some other reviewers complain about the noise from the roof bar. The bar closes at 1 and we were out most nights after this but there is only a couple of nights were the music is quite loud and you can here it from the 3rd floor rooms were where we were but there are ear plugs supplied so we found it no problem at all. I would difinitely recommend the 3rd floor if you want privacy for the balcony jacuzzi as no one can see into them but you can see into the lower floors. Wy wife also wanted me to mentioned that she thought it was great while lying sun bathing they would come round with free taster drinks or tapas type food to try. All in all this hotel met all our expectations and would definitely go again, rather pricy but its a honeymoon and if you can't treat yourself then when can you. They offer taxis outside the hotel, walk up a bit and get the street taxis. The street taxis are awful for not switching the meter on and demanding fixed fair. A fair price to Seminyak square where there are quite a few nice restaurants, lots of shops and a few bars is 30000rp about 3 dollars. I recommend Nirvanas to eat, very friendly and some sort of entertainment on every night also try the Champange bar. A must try here is Ku De Ta, very nice a bit expensive but another great place for the sunset. Also if you fancy a party night try Potatoe head and you can alos nip next door to this for the W hotel. We actually walked into Seminyak square a few times, takes about 15 minutes. We paid 50000rp (5 dollars) into Kuta. We loved to party at Legian street near Kuta. It was was jumping. Sky Garden night club was amazing. Be prepared to be offered drugs by every 10th person on this strip of the street. They take a kind but firm no well. Plenty bars and clubs here. Also recommend Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant in Kuta. Great novelty restaurant. But if you just want a entertaining night out close to the hotel walk up the street for 10 minutes and you will come to some bars which get very lively late on. Theres a bar called Bali Joes and its a drag show bar. Brilliant night, great laugh. And for a more chilled night come out the hotel and walk along the beach front towards Kuta 2 minute walk, some great chill out bars with bean bags on the beach with different music and entertainment and each one. Keep walking along the beach front and theres quite a few bars and restaurants and keep walking for about 40 minutes and you will come to Kuta which you will know your in when you come across Hard Rock cafe with some great bands on. Drink is expensive in Bali and everything has government tax and service charge and every place seems to charge different percentages but the local beer Bingtang is cheap and very nice and try the local spirit Arak which is made from rice. Very strong but does the trick. Tastes a bit like rum.
If your palnning trips, walk up from Anantara and the first excursion place on the left you come to. Only 2 minutes walk they will sort you a driver for the day for 50 dollars and you choose the destinations. Don't take the hotel holiday agents as there twice the price and you will end up going to all the places that try to sell you stuff i.e jewelry, paintings and such like. With the driver its your itinerary. We had a driver called Made and he was very pleasant. A must try is white water rafting we went with a company called Amos which seemed to start further up the river and finish later than the other companies therfore a longer experience. We thought this was an amazing experience. If your into diving theres a diver centre only 10 minutes walk from the hotel. Walk up the street take the second left and follow the road round the corner and theres the Nautlus dive centre. Very nice staff and resonably priced. All the dive sites are north and east of the island and are a fair trek. We went to the wreck USS Liberty on the east of the island and it took nearly 3 hours to get there.
Tanah Lot temple is well worth seeing, a visit to Ubud is nice and visit to Kintinami to see the volcano is a nice day out but there is plenty more with a little research to see. Also try Kopi Luwak, a coffee that is eaten by an animal and then its picked out of there poo and then processed for drinking. Very strong but I am told its a must do thing, who am I to argue. Also try the Babi Guling which is suckling pig stuffed with herbs. Woow its lovely but I am told the place to try this is in Ubud at Naughty Nuris but never got a chance to try it there.
All in all this was an amazing holiday and well worth the 17 hours of flying from Scotland to get there. I hope these little tips help as these are the questions that I am always pestering fellow trip advisers. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Third floor is great for privacy on the balcony but if you want peace from music late at night choos...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank couple1234
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Anantara from begin to end. The location is superb with spacious rooms offering spectacular sea views, and a short step from the beautiful pool area and garden to the beach. The food was fantastic, and the chef incredibly accommodating of my children's fussy eating habits, adapting the menu without a qualm. The finishing touch to this great hotel was the great staff who gave such great personal service and who were all so friendly and helpful. Star find. Our only gripe was that it was all so perfect our holiday sped by too quickly!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms a must - I would not have chosen a pool room without the stunning sea views we enjoye...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Byron Bay
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This hotel like many in Bali suffers with age, rooms detiorate very quickly and poor workmanship to start off with only gets worse as the hotel gets older. What marred our four day trip was our toilet blocking every day and having to go down to use the one in the lobby. While engineers were sent up everyday, the problem persisted. While the rooms are huge and at first glance luxurious to compete in the 5 star market they need a freshen up and improvement.

The new manager met with us to apologise and was very gracious however our late check out didn't makeup for the inconvenience of a faulty toilet (a basic expectation) when you are paying $500 a night.

That said the service in the hotel was the best I have encountered in Bali and that comes from over 100 visits so it is high praise. The degustation meal we had at the rooftop bar was sensational and the view is amazing.

Nice touches like handmade soaps, bath salts and chocolates every night add to the luxurious surroundings. Breakfast was included and was buffet and a la carte, great coffee, ordinary pastries and the worse cutlery I have eaten off in years.

The Anantara needs a freshen up to be charging the prices it is and to hold onto the luxury market. If everything could match the excellence of their service they would be unbeatable.

Please get your plumbing fixed it is inexcusable and marred our four day stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others, with a handful having a private pool. Don't put up with the u...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple