“Good hotel. Great Service. Amazing Breakfast”

Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort
Ranked #50 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Johannesburg
“Good hotel. Great Service. Amazing Breakfast”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Spent a few nights at the Anantara Seminyak in January 2014 and being our first Anantara stay, I am happy to report that we had a great experience.

The service is top notch and is on par with some of the higher-end properties I have experienced elsewhere in South East Asisa (e.g. Ritz-Carlton's and SPG Luxury Collection.).

The property itself is fairly small and has been designed to maximise the sea frontage. Hence there is no spralling driveway or garden's which make for a slightly underwhelming first impression and perhaps diminish the feel of the property. While parts of the property do seem to need some updating (paintwork at the humid coast is always a problem), I did not feel that the rooms were tired as some reviewers have suggested.

We had a pool access suite - do go for the ''sea facing'' pool suites if possible (which don't have a clear sea view due to an inclined slope but which are much better then the rear facing pool suites which don't appear to have any price difference). The suite is spacious and is well furnished. Since the beach is not a great swimming beach, the pool access suites are well worth considering for the convenience, despite the somewhat obstructed views.

A special mention must be made of the breakfast which is easily amongst the best hotel breakfasts you will ever find. A great and varied a la carte menu in addition to the normal buffet. You need atleast a week to sample all the options. Top marks to Anantara!

The location is not bad, but I would not describe it as ''Seminyak proper'' as it is not walking distance from the hustle and bustle of the entertainment areas of Seminyak (and where most other Seminyak hotels are located) which is about 10 minutes away by car.

Room Tip: The ''sea facing'' pool suites don't have a clear sea view due to an inclined sl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoeyDock
Clinton L, General Manager at Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear JoeyDock,

Thank you for choosing Anantara Seminyak Bali and for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed the breakfast in particular so much and of course our personalized service which you made a special mention of.

We hope to see you visit us once again or perhaps Anantara in another breathtaking destination.

Clinton Lovell | General Manager | Anantara Seminyak Bali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Myself and my finace had booked a weekend stay with Anantara Seminyak to finalize six months worth of extensive wedding plans through their in-house wedding coordinator, Via, who had been phenomenal at helping us plan our wedding at Anantara for October 2014. We had planned and put down a deposit for their rooftop venue, SOS Supper Club, the hotel and gorgeous setting was a perfect spot for us to merge our overseas family and friends for a huge 4-day wedding event.

However, on our second day staying at Anantara for our food and wine tasting weekend, we were called downstairs for a 'meeting' with the general manager. I went downstairs solo as my very hardworking fiance had only arrived that morning at 2am. Upon sitting down, I was completely ambushed by the awful and devastating news that Anantara would be closing SOS Supper Club for several months starting in October for renovations, our wedding date was October 18th, 2014. This of course meant that after extensive planning, our guests flights and hotel stays from US/Europe/Hong Kong/Dubai/Singapore which were booked, putting multiple deposits down for hair/makeup/photographer/videographer and so much more, we now had to re-work our entire wedding.

After bringing my very exhausted and now irate fiance downstairs, we began to discuss our options and expected the general manager to be sincere and cooperative in how to handle this very upsetting turn of events. Unfortunately, he was callous, unapologetic, un-remorseful, condescending, and almost joking at times with us. After several hours of going over various options, we simply lost trust in the hotel management to put together the wedding we envisioned and the kind of vacation our guests are expecting. I was up all night going over in my head how to fix this terrible situation and given that the management had handled this so poorly, waiting until our second day on vacation to inform us of this serious venue issue, we were really unsure about how to proceed.

The next morning, we made the very difficult decision to immediately check-out of the hotel and begin pursuing our options at another, more capable resort. We had just lost all faith in the ability of the in-house team to deliver the kind of wedding experience we wanted. This of course, ruined our weekend.

Yes, they offered us alternatives and did refund our stay for the weekend, however, we very much value our privacy as do our guests and the other options simply were not equal to the experience we would have had at SOS Supper Club.

The general manager made very insinuating remarks regarding how financially the options he was offering were somehow higher in value and style than what we had chosen for our wedding. This again left a very bad taste in our mouths as both my fiance and I have never been very concerned with the overall cost of our wedding it was more about the experience as we are personally flying a great deal of our family over to be with us from the US, many of whom have never been to Asia, let alone Bali.

Luckily, we were able to, within 24 hours, reschedule our entire wedding and somewhat relax at the end of our vacation.

I would like to also add I am someone who has stayed several other times at other Anantara properties and we had so many choices as to where to host our wedding and we chose Anantara not only for the venue but the service we came to expect.

We are very blessed to have found. new resort to host our wedding but not without extreme stress for two days of our 'relaxing' vacation.

We will never return or suggest Anantara Seminyak or any Anantara properties to our family and friends after this experience as we simply have lost trust in this hotel and the hotel group.

The only positive thing I can add to this review, is after many back and forth e-mails, I do feel the general manager did redeemed himself and was very humble regarding refunding us not only the money we had paid to secure the venue but also the invitation costs. I also feel he finally understood that the money was not the issue, the experience and our vision was our top priority. We appreciate the prompt handling of the refund however, the initial communication and attitude is what prompted us to change venues.

Just an FYI, to any other couples who have scheduled their weddings for the months of October/November 2014, so if you read this, I strongly encourage you to contact Anantara, don't wait for a situation like ours.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Joanna N
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We spent five nights here for my birthday and we were extremely impressed. We have stayed at many places in Seminyak including the Oberoi, the Samaya and numerous villas. This time we wanted to be right on the beach with a beach view - more difficult than you'd think. The stand-out feature was the staff who were unfailingly helpful, friendly and courteous even by Bali standards. Our sea view suite was perfect for us: a large bathroom with two sinks; a large walk-in robe cum dressing room; a massive king and half sized bed which was very comfortable and a sitting area. There was an outdoor area too with a day bed big enough for one and a sunken bath. Personally, I'd ditch the bath in favour of a larger day bed. Certainly the hotel is showing its age and is a bit worn around the edges but for us this did not detract from the experience. We ate here at the upstairs restaurant, my husband ate at one of the buffets and we had numerous cocktails and nibbles plus breakfast every day. Everything was excellent and we thought the food was outstanding. We spent a lot of time in both the pools and sun bathing. Each time we were given a courtesy basket with water, sunscreen and fruit. The pool assistants were really helpful and lovely. On my birthday, I had a cake brought to me at breakfast which was embarrassing but welcome and a wonderful heavily discounted massage for the both of us. We travel a lot and are hard to please these days but couldn't find much wrong with this place at all. It needs a bit of a facelift but I'm sure they'll get round to that. As I said at the beginning, the staff were amazing and I had a great memorable birthday. I might make it an annual event. Thanks very much!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms cool everything down in the afternoon.
1 Thank kirtsty1234velvet
Dear Kirsty1234velvet,

Thank you for your review and choosing Anantara for the birthday celebration! We especially appreciate the praise of our service and it is a pleasure to share this with the team.

Please do make us your annual event as considered! We would be truly delighted.

Looking forward to welcoming you back for more of the same,

Jakarta
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I just came back from Bali today, as our office organized staffs gathering and we stayed in Anantara for 2 nights.

Anantara is a luxurious 5 stars beach front resorts. At least that's what it says in its website. It is quite interesting to write a review on it so that the readers would have more insight on what to expect when they decide to stay here, especially because this is certainly one of the most expensive resort in Seminyak area.

Location.
Seminyak is one of well known and most happening area in Bali, and Anantara is not at the best front beach spot in Seminyak but quite OK. It is a public beach. You will find few local sellers walking around offering souvenirs, but not as crowded as Kuta Beach, so you can still feel a little privacy on the beach. However, this is not a peak season. It might be different situation between June - Aug. I dont know.
I had stayed once in another beach front 5 star resort in Seminyak about 2 years ago, located further north of Seminyak beach, less cowded, and cleaner beach. So, location wise, I would rate it at 7.0.

Luxury.
My first impression on arrival was honestly far from luxury. The drop-off area is very very small, only a size of 4 - 5 cars to park, more like a turning point rather than a front area of a hotel. The lobby and front desk are also very small. Check in process was pretty quick, perhaps because we closed the entire hotel for our office staffs, but you might expect a disaster situation during the peak seasons. Walking through the alley on the way to the rooms, I can see stains and marks on the floor like in an old buildings. Lifts are also old and very slow. I asked the staff, wondering when this resort was opened, and very surprised to hear the they commenced in 2008. It's a 5+ years resort but looks like 15 years. In this section, I would rate it at 6.0.

Rooms.
It's a 5 stars resort, only have suites and penthouses. Mine is ocean view suite. It's huge, probably around 50 - 60m2, plus 15m2 balcony with Jacuzzi, marbled wall, good quality wooden floor, well designed, comforting king sized bed, clean, 42 LCD TV with 60+ channels (including HBO, movies, sports, etc), fully wifi connected with good enough speed, all equipment are working properly. You can visit its official website for better picture on their suites. The only thing which is not up to 5 stars quality is the furniture. All furniture are low quality and cheap. Too bad. You will also find mosquitoes in the room, but mosquito spray and electric repellent are provided (in a drawer under the TV set), so it should not be an issue. So, I would rate 7.5 for the rooms.

Some of my friends stayed on the 3rd floor, just below the roof top bar, and they could not sleep till midnite as music sounds could be heard clearly from the room. So, if you want a quite night, avoid any rooms underneath the roof top bar.

Staffs and Services.
I can see 5 stars attitude and services from the staffs. Very friendly, helpful, quite good English, and responsive. Well done.

Foods and Beverages.
I had 2 dinners (one asian menu and one western menu) and 2 breakfasts, with enough variety of foods, cakes, fruits, and drinks. I enjoyed the foods. Not the best I've ever tried, but had no complain about it. But when I asked the event organizer about the price, and I was shocked. If am not mistaken, the dinner buffet cost around USD 65-70++ per person. For such a price, forgive me to tell that they are just not worth the money, and I would give an overall rate of 5.0 on this section, not on their variety and taste, but mainly due to the price.

Facilities
There are 2 swimming pools, very nice. I didnt try the spa, but my female friends said its good. I didnt see or use the fitness facilities, so I cant comment on that. Roof top bar is very good, well decorated, amazing sunset view on the ocean. Overall, I would rate the resort facilities at 7.5

Prior to arrival, I had no idea what the room rate at Anantara would be. I was not too concerned, because the company paid everything...hehehe... While making this review, I checked from their website as well as some online booking, and I was quite surprised to see the price. It is 40% more expensive than the other beach front 5 stars resort I had stayed in before. Wow....

So, my conclusion on Anantara is, given several other beach front 5 stars resorts around Seminyak, I would definitely pick other resorts if I have to pay it on my own pocket. But it's a nice 5 stars resort and I had a good stay and experience there. It is just that, it is certainly over rated in almost all aspects.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Irlan P
Dear Irlan,

Thank you for your detailed review. It was a pleasure to welcome you and your colleagues to Anantara Seminyak Bali and we are thrilled the company event hosted here was overall such a success.

We hope we are one of the more memorable events your company have generously hosted and hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back and be of service to you once again.

Best wishes to all for the remainder of 2014,

Regards

Paris, France
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had a great and amazing "dining by dinner" at Anantara Resort! Very welcoming and very helpful staffs. Yoga the butler was at our service all the time and even had time to take pictures of us anytime we asked! Amazing sunset view at SOS lounge too. Indeed a superb excellent "dinning by dinner". Food was exotic and so delicious, miam miam! Good choice for our BBQ menu!

A very big thank you esp to Junni, Yanlie and Yoga. We are soo happy we came to Bali and especially at Antara Seminyak Resort to celebrate our 10 years wedding anniversary. It was a perfect dining by dinner.
Best regards
Barbara & Xavier

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Clinton L, General Manager at Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Barbara and Xavier,

Thank you for choosing Anantara to celebrate your delightful 10th anniversary together and heartiest congratulations!

Dining By Design is a signature Anantara service, unique to every exotic location where Anantaras are located. Thank you for sharing your experience of your evening, it's a pleasure to know you enjoyed yourselves so much and to pass on your comments of the outstanding staff mentioned.

Once again, our sincere thanks and congratulations!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Thank you for making our honeymoon so enjoyable. I will definitely recommend others!
The location of the hotel is great and private
Service is amazing and the staff really went all out to make sure we have a great honeymoon.
When the room was not ready for check in, we were offered snack and cocktails at the pool side restaurant.
Food served in Anantara is just simply amazing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Sandy T,

Congratulations once again and thank you for choosing Anantara on the occasion of your honeymoon! Best wishes for your new life together, thank you for sharing your wonderfully happy experience.

Best wishes,

Paris
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed four nights at this hotel
everything is great : the perfect location in front of the beach, the kindness of the staff, the quality of services (spa, restaurant)
For me the best hotel Semyniak
Pierre

DearPierreSofiaParis,

Thank you for choosing Anantara and sharing your experience! We are delighted you enjoyed you visit so much - thank you for sharing your experience.