“ok”

Ranked #97 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
Sydney, Australia
“ok”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Ok if you like the old style Balinese places from the 80's...otherwise a bit run down and ordinary..staff quite friendly..BUT if driving, completely forget this whole area..due to the ridiculous number of restaurants, hotels , villas in this street it often took us 30 minutes to get in or out of this place...can find much better I am sure...and if you don't mind new and modern and out of the way Umala area try the Pandawa Apartments at a ridiculously low AU$35 night.

Room Tip: maybe at the rear of the property is better
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank andrew s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Indonesian first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just had 9 wonderful nights in Seminyak staying at the Ananda Restort. Terrific grounds and room more than adequate. Super friendly and helpful staff.
Right in the centre of things we would come back there in a moment and will!
Highly recommended for value for money, situation and ambience.
Julie

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Coluratura
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Firstly I can not understand why some reviewers have been so scathing and why Ananda is not in the top 10. After reading mixed reviews I hadn't expected much so to have left with being impressed and wanting to return says a lot! At $50 a night, with a decent al-a-carte breakfast included, Ananda is amazing value. If you want a trendy spa-type resort then Ananda is not a good fit for you. If you want to stay somewhere more traditional and don't expect perfection but value a friendly and safe family haven, then it's for you.

Our 4 night stay kicked off well with a smooth airport pick-up. Check in after 11pm was quick.

The pros about Ananda include it being secure and safe. As first time visitors to Bali my Mother and I felt very comfortable quite quickly at the Ananda. The rooms are set well away from the street action so this added to feeling removed from any drama.There were umbrellas to borrow which seemed to be lent in good faith i.e. no system was in place to check whether they were returned. Similarly upon check out no one checked whether things were missing from rooms. This was a first for me and says a lot about the trusting and warm staff at Ananda.

A very nice breakfast included. A set menu with 5 options including nasi goring,pancakes, 2 eggs with toast, muesli with fruit or plain toast. Most with a small juice or fruit plate and a tea or coffee. I am a fussy eater so it wasn't a big enough meal for me but my Mum struggled to eat all of hers. Very clean and immaculate grounds/pool area. Plenty of room around the pool and also a recreation area with a pool table. Cleaning was done daily in the rooms although I felt this was overkill. The reception area looked a tad tired but the lobby was gorgeous with sofas and balinese furniture- a wonderful place to wait for tour pick-ups or just hang out.

Friendly and helpful staff. Polite but not overbearing. Always ready with a smile.

Spacious, comfortable rooms. Bathrooms had a shower and separate bath. Basic toiletries provided along with kettle, 2 cups, tea and coffee plus 2 bottles of water daily.Most of the furniture is Balinese style and was appropriate and of a reasonable quality. We loved the set up of the rooms. My Mother had a lower room and I had an upper one with a shared area of dining/living areas. We felt like we had an entire house/villa and couldn't believe that we paid $50 a night each. Small tv with around 50 channels although about 10 had bad reception.
Cheap and tasty restaurant.
In the middle of "eat street" and all of Seminyak's shopping joys however not the place to stay if you want a short walk to the beach. It took us at least 25 minutes to get there on foot.

There were some negatives but having read reviews prior to arrival I was aware of these. No cutlery or crockery in the communal kitchen. It would be nice if some paper plates or even just drinking glasses were provided. I don't think you need a microwave or cooking facilities as local restaurants are so abundant and cheap.

There were mosquitos at night but we'd come prepared and after spraying ourselves with insect repellent did not find them troublesome. The hotel also sprays weekly for the mosses so it wasn't like they weren't being vigilant. We both saw a couple of cockroaches in our respective rooms but I don't feel that's any reflection on the hygiene of the resort.
The only furniture that I found dated was the beds. the rest was balinese style and seemed to be of a relatively high quality.

My only other complaint was that there was no in-room information sheets and no door hangers which say "Please clean my room/Privacy Please". I didn't need my room and linens cleaned daily and I think it's environmentally unsound to do this. If I was out when the cleaners came I had no way to let them know I didn't want fresh towels or a clean. I suppose it's better that they are sticklers for cleanliness than being relaxed about this.

I think with few small improvements Ananda could be without fault. I'd love to see it become more boutique style by implanting environmentally conscious policies and maybe having organic toiletries and water not in plastic bottles.

In summary my Mother and I had a fabulous stay at the Ananda Resort. We will definitely be staying on our next trip and recommending it our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Avon369
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Ananda resort is smack in the middle of Seminyak. It is; however, quiet inside the resort as the villas are behind the main traditional Balinese styled main buildings. The staff were fantastic particularly Nita who responded so quickly to emails and Verbal requests.
Our 2 br villa was huge! The bedrooms and bathrooms big enough to throw a party in! However, the kitchen/shared spaces were quite run down and not at all comfortable. There was 1 power point apart from the fridge in the kitchen area but the cord for the kettle was so short you had to boil the kettle on the floor! I also use the word kitchen loosely as there were no glasses, plates, spoons etc except for 2 cups and saucers. The cupboards were smelly and the sink tarnished. The fridge and the WiFi did however work well. The pool was large and had pool service which our girls thought was great. There were also plenty of lounge chairs around the pool. Breakfast was basic and served in the restaurant at the front of the resort. The resort did not have a laundry service but luckily there was a laundry up the road not too far away. A good value place to stay if you plan to eat out all the time and don't plan any sit down quiet time with your family.

Room Tip: By the pool best!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Barbara D
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I chose to stay here for my last 2 nights in Bali as it was really central in seminyak for some last minute shopping. It was very reasonably priced but obviously for a reason. It it pretty old and run down. If you want something central and cheap give it a go but don't expect too much. Staff on the front desk are very friendly, less so in the restaurant

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank KRI001
melbourne
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights arrived late but checkin was quick and easy.

Airport transfer was friendly and reasonably priced.

The first night the lower floor flodded but the staff were very shocked and helpful so i don't think it's something that happens regularly.

We were in the very back room with an ugly view. The hotel didn't seem very full so not sure why they had to put us in the very back of the hotel.

Would stay again and there was several people also from Australia who were at the hotel and had stayed there more than once.

The pool looked clean and the grounds kept well.

Many eateries just outside the hotel.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank makeup_ladyMelbourne
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here July 2014 with our 2 children. Had huge 2 bedroom bungalow next to pool. Came with sitting area, dining, day bed and double room downstairs. Kids had upstairs with balcony. Rooms and bathrooms are enormous though a little dated, but clean and well serviced. Small TV, but with satellite. Safe in upstairs room not bolted in, but one in our room was. Traditional doors with padlocks for security means Mosquitos can get in, so bring repellent. Lovely pool with swim up bar (not always staffed) Choice of breakfast from eggs, pancakes or mie goreng. Small, but adequate and would get boring after a few days. Good central location. Staff very helpful and friendly. Didn't eat dinner here. 5min taxis to Potato Head, La Luciolas etc. and Nirvana restaurant just down the road a good place to eat. Traditional cheap warung food places close by. Great midrange hotel, interesting architecture. Would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family