“If you wanna dive, this is the place to be”

Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This place has the best prices for diving (150k rent material + 250k per dive, if you do more dives you get discounts, consider the unlimited package if you are a diving freak like many people here). If you have your own equipment, it's even cheaper. They give you nitrox for free, if you have a nitrox certification.

Location: the hotel is located directly in front of "coral garden" (we did some snorkelling: amazing and also a night dive). To go to the USAT Liberty wreck you need to walk about 5 minutes on the right.

Staff and dive guided: VERY FRIENDLY. They sing, smile and entertain, we really enjoyed the people here!

Restaurant: very good, we had our breakfasts, lunches, and dinners only here. Totally satisfied besides the price a bit higher compared to Warungs if you travel on budget.

Spa: we had reflexology for 30 mins each and we enjoyed it.

The resort itself is ok (nothing special, a bit old/not maintained... swimming pool not inviting...). The location is nothing special (just a few shops, a few dive centers and restaurants nearby) but if you are here it's probably for diving.

We just did snorkelling on the 1s day, 2 dives the next day and stayed an extra day to relax. It's not the perfect placer to relax. Thus if you are a couple looking also for that, consider a better maintained resort (maybe a bit more expensive).

Feedback to owner: put mosquito nets.
Feedback for customer: bring mosquito repellent for the night...

Transport to airport or to other places (we went to Lovina): the hotel will provide, but it's more expensive than using alternatives you can google around. Search e.g. Tulamben transport or similar, you can easily save 200k just with a phone call.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
divetulamben, Owner at Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Only "Standard rooms" (220.000 RP incl.breakfast) don't have mosquito net. All other rooms (start from 280.000 RP) have mosquito net and have already renovation.
But we are happy you enjoyed your time to stay with us and thanks for the feedback.
Suci

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We booked the 7 nights package. From our first e mail until we left everything worked well out. The package is listed on their web site. We had a bungalow room . It was big with AC and was well kept. The entire staff was very friendly . Two things , I found the wifi not reliable and the entire week there was no fish available . The food on offer is good. There are now 2 ATM's in Tulamben. I will visit again.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Peaceful place and familiar, cozy resort. You will love having breakfast right on the waterfront or watching the sunrise from the top of the restaurant. Very friendly and helpful staff and dedicated dive masters. Thank’s to the owner Suci, Didi and the whole Matahari team!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This is my second stay with the resort. Staffs and crew are very helpful. Had another awesome dive trip with my friend. Their package deals are definitely a good bargain; Spa, dive, accommodation,transport and meals.. Food is awesome, service is great. Will be looking forward to be back again soon!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Dear Matahari Spa, Dive resort: This was my first time dive at Tulamben, also is first time stay d Tulamben, you are a one of the fantasy resort!!
The resort: Let people feel Warm, the Value is good!!
The dive central: The DM's and the DMT's are amazing for park of the leader!
Thank's for everything, I will coming back soon!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Tulamben is a nice, quiet place to escape the commercialism of Kuta and other tourist areas. This is a cozy little dive resort with great service. We booked two nights in the deluxe room and decided to stay an extra night in the superior room. Both rooms are very basic but have everything you need. Hot shower (sometimes too hot), cold A/C and clean. The first place our bed was two twins pushed together and the comforter is two sheets overlapping each other. Our second place was an actual bed but still the two sheets. The restaurant was good, from local dishes to more western. The dive shop was great. We rented tanks and went out on our own but the divemasters gave us suggestions/tips on where to go (they allow this for instructors). Though we went on our own, I would recommend a guide as they are very familiar with the area and marinelife. We hired people to carry our tanks down the beach for a very minimal cost. Overall, a great experience and very peaceful. Would definitely come back.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

First thing: There is NO sand beach, only pebbles and rocks. This is not mentioned clearly anywhere. It is also not a resort thing, but that is everywhere in Tulamben. So if you're not a diver and expect white sand beach at the resort, don't go to Tulamben.

Matahari Dive Resort:
We stayed for nearly a week at this resort.
The rooms are reasonably priced for the quality you'll get. Don't expect top notch for this price.
The rooms have a safe, small fridge, sink and shower with hot water. Beds are okay and have mosquito nets. Rooms have thin walls, as mentioned in other reviews as well. No shampoo provided, only a bar of soap. They are sparse with handing out toilet paper.
Wifi is not fast and became unstable after a power outage.

Setup of the resort is nice, although a little cramped. A lot of green plants, which add to a nice 'jungle' feeling. The Spa is good. However beware if you are in the room next to the Spa; the Balinese music they play in the Spa will freak you out in the end. The pool is nice, but not big.

The restaurant is okay for the quality they provide for the money you pay. We found the staff of the restaurant very nice and helpful. The ocean view on the second floor of the restaurant is very nice. One time my wife found a baked fly in her breakfast (pancake). Should not happen.

Diving at this resort is a BIG NO!! They are UNPROFESSIONAL, have BAD EQUIPMENT and is UNSAFE.
First day we entered the dive shop; nobody got up to greet us and the first thing they put under our noses was the responsibility waiver. They are all young guys, which are like a bunch of teenage boys having fun together, but not serious with diving. They were reluctant to send a guide with us. I was told they were fasting. Then me and my wife decided to dive together without guide(both PADI Rescue Diver). But then -to my surprise- it was no problem for them to immediately start introduction diving in the pool and sea with the two single young ladies in our party. While preparing for the first dive, me and my wife didn't get any info on dive sites and conditions. We had to pull this info. I now also know why; they have no clue. We were told 'no current', while there was a current. Second dive: same thing: 'no current', again there was current. In the preparation of this second dive, I found my tank had a broken o-ring. They would change the tank out. I went away, came back. My equipment was assembled, but when I checked I found they didn't switched out the tank, so then they quickly yanked another tank under my BCD. Then we suited up, but in the sea, just before going down, the tank slid out of my BCD. It was not strapped tightly. Went back ashore and one of the staff fixed it again. Back to sea again, just about to go down, we find the air valve of the tank to be closed (probably an automatic reflex(?), when refixing the tank).
Later I learned from one of the single ladies, that during the intro dive in the sea, her regulator was not working and the instructor instructed her to use the spare (yellow) one; Not according to the book! Good example; instructor! But what annoys me the most: They have like 5 or 6 guys hanging there. Some have or have helped assembling the equipment for the two beginning divers, but forgot to check whether the equipment was working??
The third time I dived with them I was alone, and asked them whether they could arrange a buddy.
This was no problem and a time was set. When I arrived and wanted to assemble, they told me to wait, because my buddy didn't show up. So I wait. After 10 min I ask again and they semi-ask me if I want to dive alone (?!?). I answered no and in the end dived with a family and two guides at the dive site where they always state: 'no current'. It was low tide and at the end dive we were heading for the shore, but an outgoing current was too strong for the family. The two guides were both already far ahead and out of sight for me and the family. The family surfaced and little time later the two guides came rushing back.

After a sleepless night I decided to pull out and find a professional diving shop next morning. They can easily be found across the main street. Did I mention it is also much cheaper diving there?
After finding another dive shop I wanted to put my complaints down with the dive shop as well as resort management:
After three days I still did not have a clue who was in charge of the diving shop at this resort. So I decided to put down my complaints with the one I think was in charge. He denied that he was in charge, but later said he was in charge if resort management is absent. Complaint about equipment failure I got replied that they don't know what the status of the equipment is, after it is rented out and handed in again. Another lousy excuse: spare parts are rare for the equipment brand they use.
About the wrong information on diving conditions: "yeah, there is a website with the tides". But it was clear they don't use it. On ly lousy excuses and no apologies whatsoever. In the end he could only admit.
After that I also put down my complaints at the reception/resort management, and told them I was unwilling to pay for the introduction diving, because I had to transfer them as stressless as possible to the other dive shop across the street.
The only reply I got from the management: "You have to pay the full price".

NOT A SINGLE APOLOGY, nada. I don't think they completely ignored my complaints, because we saw some improvement days later, but they definitely don't care about their guests, our feelings or safety. DO NOT DIVE WITH THEM is my opinion.

If you have your own equipment, are sufficient licensed, you can rent tanks, but that is as far as I would go. And still you have to check the tank. Also don't rely on the info you get from the staff, if any. In this resort it is also possible to dive alone without the hassle of carrying redundant stuff (like pony bottle, etc). If you care you can write your name and time of going in on a white board (they won't do it). When you take too long, they will come and look for you? I doubt they ever look at the board. If they do, you'll probably already dead.

Summary: No sand beach (Tulamben area), for eating/sleeping/spa = okay, management does not care about you (money only), for diving: find a professional place across the street.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DJ J
divetulamben, Owner at Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Happy not to have always guests like this:

We mentioned very clearly 23 days before arrival per email there are only black stones at the beach in Tulamben!!!!
We offer free WiFi (3 hotspot routers) and we spend lot of money for this. Its not in our hand when the speed is not so high like expected.
Our restaurant: You visited every day (not only for breakfast), so we guess you liked it.
For diving:
What do you expect if you rent only tanks and you are Rescue Diver? You should learn that you make body check by yourself and not request from our divemasters. The two Ladies which join your trip and made introductory diving where unable to swim. Our instructor took long time in the pool for the introductory. So why should we give the introductory for free, like you requested!
Even our dive staff is young but they are all certified divemasters, trained by SSI Course Director which takes his job more than serious and they all exactly know what they have to do. But sorry, we are Balinese and if you are unfriendly, you cannot expect from us to be friendly. You never gave a smile.
When you had a sleepless night before you changed to a European Dive Center: We agree. We had guests which also couldn’t sleep because you made party whole night and that not only one night. They complaint about you.

So in the final, we really don’t understand why you not simple changed the resort in the beginning of your stay and everybody would be happy.

Komang Suci (owner)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulamben
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
Liberty Dive Resort
Liberty Dive Resort
#5 of 12 in Tulamben
Tauch Terminal Resort Tulamben & Spa

Been to Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA? Share your experiences!