“Nice staffs, good meal, perfect diving!”

Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My buddy and I went to Tulamben for diving and this resort is awesome.They offer pickups from the airport and it's a 3 hours ride. The room did offered more than enough comfort for diving-orientated guests. Food was great, with a rather reasonable price. As for diving, the majestic USS Liberty wreck is about a 10 minutes walk away, and the porters will transfer your equipment for you right to the shore area right where the wreck is. On a friendly note, do think twice before jumping into the resort pool, as the water is freezing! Overall, an unforgettable experience!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vicente5715
There are newer reviews for Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Excellent place. Both dive sites and the resort. The resort workers are friendly & helpful. Great diving experience with helpful dive masters. Will suggest this place to my friends & family. Will be back here soon.

Room Tip: Try getting room with A/C and water heater :)
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dshuhadah
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is my second time stayed in Matahari Tulamben.

I like the place and friendly staff and also the dive masters were very helpful. Even though i traveled by myself the place really comfy and clean.
The dive masters inform me from July-August very windy and sometimes big waves. For flat water September-October
Ibu Suci, the owner also very nice and friendly. Sometimes she likes to mingle and chit chatting with the staff.

I stayed in a bungalow room (Nena) for 2 days and 1 day in superior room. Both rooms for the toilet were clean, but maybe for the water from the shower in my bungalow room a bit small.

The food..homey food. Love it!!

Matahari Tulamben has several packages for staying there. From the package that i took i got free transportation from the airport to Matahari resort and return. Got free massage also for an hour.

The location for diving is perfect. I really love the coral garden and the drop off.
Many beautiful colorful corals and fish in coral garden. In the drop off you can see yellow striped tuna schooling fish.
Never get bored to dive in USS Liberty shipwreck.s
I took Amed dive for 1 day and it's only 30 minutes from Tulamben by car. I went to the Japanese shipwreck area in Amed, very shallow. Nice dive site.

Overall really enjoy my time there and will be back again :)

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a diving resort not much to do other than dive - Diving is excelent and it is on the door step . best is to stay near the Liberty Wreck as early morning on the LIBERTY is EXCELENT - no crouds that travel up from KUTA
Roland and Arun

Room Tip: Up grade to the best room available as hotel is well pricied and you need all the comfort you can ge...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bombay B
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed here for 3 days to have diving course & get the SSI License. The first time I arrived there, I can say that I'm going to have a great time. I love the place, the view, the environment, also the friendly staffs. My diving instructor, Mr. I Gede Disupardita was very nice to me & also all of the Dive Masters, they helped me with everything. Oh! And I'm a big fan of the chicken gordon blue here :D
And I'm planning to come back here as a diver, next month!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Rebecca Louise Quento
Reviewed 27 July 2014

i stayed there for 4days because of scuba diving

it's really good resort for diving.

friendly staffs and clean room.
restaurant served good and cheep food.

but room is little bit dark.
i think it needs more lights

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank gadiang
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I just spent 1 month of diving at Matahari Dive Resort and have only positive things to stay about my experience. Let me begin with the diving as that is what attracts the majority of people. I did 112 dives. The resort offers guided dives at set times throughout the day, and allows tank rentals for experienced divers. The resort has a house reef that slopes down from 3-4 meters down to over 40 meters. It is more of a macro area, although I did see black tip and white tip reef sharks, turtles, bumphead parrots, and several other species of larger fish. The macro opportunities are outstanding: in my stay I photographed 2 types of pygmy sea horses, ribbon eels, 3 types of frogfish, 40-50 types of nudibranchs, harlequin, ornate, and ghost pipefish, and hundreds of other difficult to find subjects. The house reef also features a shallow area with around 50 anemones with Clarks, pink, orange fin and false clownfish. The Liberty wreck is about 3-400 meters away, and there is a wall dive about the same distance to the other side of the resort. Melasti, and Seraya divesites are a short drive away and dives are offered there. Porters are available to carry gear to the divesites.
The diveshop is equipped with new looking equpment ( i used my own, so I can't speak to the quality, but it looked newish in appearance). They are an SSI facility I believe, and offer all the usual classes. They also have nitrox available. I mainly did unguided dives, but my experiences with the divemasters was fantastic. They were able to find just about everything I asked them to point out to on the guided dives I did. They were very friendly, spoke English well, and were very helpful.
The resort is very nice. I stayed in the standard room. I would consider it to be an outstanding value considering its proximity to the dive sites, and the atmosphere of the resort. I did have the opportunity to see other rooms, and they seemed to have equal value for the money. I don't think a serious diver would be disappointed with any room, but creature comfort types/families may want to upgrade from the standard room.
The resort has a garden walkway with hammocks and chairs that are always shady, wifi (adequate for Skype, but not fast enough for videos like youtube) a pool, and a spa ( I didn't use it, but it looked to offer massages, mani/pedi, and other services like that.)
The resort has a restaurant. Breakfast is included- I tried several options, and they all were delicious. I also sampled several dinners, and was equally satisfied.
The resort staff is very friendly and the grounds are immaculately kept. The owner, Suci, seems to be very keen to make experiences great, and is constantly upgrading the facilities.
Tulamben is a small village. It does have a small supermarket, but it is very limited in its selection- mainly snack . T type food. There is a Pizza place in town, and some other restaurants, but nightlife is pretty much nonexistent ( you should be night diving, anyway).
I have dived all over the world, and would consider this resort to be the best overall value for in cost per dive, amount of species seen, and daily cost of accommodation. I would highly recommend that you book your stay here. I do not think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank terrence R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulamben
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
Tulamben Wreck Divers Resort
Liberty Dive Resort
Liberty Dive Resort
#5 of 12 in Tulamben

Been to Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA? Share your experiences!