“Great Dive Resort on Bali”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulamben
Villa Markisa Dive Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Villa Markisa provides a safe, high quality dive experience in a well run comfortable resort in rural East Bali. The resort offers great safe diving for beginners as well as interesting and diverse dive sights for more experienced divers. As opposed to Nusa Panida, an island in the south with great drift diving, Tulamben is much calmer and safer. Many of the resorts in this area, although cheap, looked a bit rough around the edges. Villa Markisa offers a much higher level of service at a good price.
We stayed four nights in bungalow 1, plus had a small room, 5, for our son in the main house. The bungalow was spacious with high ceiling, lots of storage and a daybed. Windows wrap around the bungalow so it is filled with light. It was new, clean,and well maintained. The bedding was comfortable, but not luxurious. You are given limited number of towels,but can request more. Some basic toiletries (shampoo and soap) are provided, but with others, like sunscreen bug juice and lotion there is a small charge. As I usually bring those anyway, I thought this was just fine, especially at the reasonable price you are paying for the room. The rooms are cleaned once a day, while you are having breakfast--very efficient!
The bathroom is completely outdoors. It is nice to have the big outdoor shower, plus there is a pretty garden area. But storing make up outside in the heat doesn't work. There was a desk in side where I kept most of the toiletries.
There is a mini fridge, a pot to boil water and some instant coffee and tea, unlimited drinking water and a few mini bar indonesian snacks for purchase.
A big deck out front with chairs and a daybed provides a terrific view of the ocean. Our bungalow was 1, which is right next to the dive center. We enjoyed the convenience and there was never a noise issue, but it is less private.
Our son had room five. It is very small with no view, but was cheap, had amazing air-conditioning and had a side entrance near our bungalow. It worked well for us.
The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There is a pool, lovely grass areas with gardens and lots of lounge chairs. Villa Markisa sits right on the ocean so there is an amazing view from everywhere in the resort. There is no beach, just some small black rocks, but we were there to dive, not hang out on the beach.
The diving is extremely well run and very service oriented. They have two boats plus shore diving options. We did a shore dive one day. The waters was pretty chopped up, the the shore entry is easy and the dive guides are really helpful in assisting with getting in and out of the water, plus they were amazing at finding loads of small critters the area is known for. For boat dives you sign up the day before. The boat dives trips were one dive only with the exception of the Japanese wreck dive in Banyunging, where you do two dives and have breakfast on the boat. The ride to most sights is about 10 minutes and we were impressed with the variety and amount of fish and coral. The highlight is the liberty wreck in Tulamben. Before breakfast, to beat the hoards of divers, you leave in the dark. It is awesome--huge and teaming with fish.
The dive guides are all locals. They are friendly, thoughtful and helpful. You never touch your dive gear, they take care of everything. As a beginning diver my son had his own personal dive guide on each dive, which made for a safe and enjoyable dive for all. In addition, as you can stay down as long as you have air, my son would be taken up after about 45 minutes, while my husband and I could stay down for over an hour on each dive.
In between dives they offer very affordable massages in a little bungalow near the water. There is a nice boutique selling well priced gorgeous sarongs. Other than that, there is not much to do at the resort, which was fine as we kept busy doing up to 3 dives a day. The town itself is really just a few huts and driveways on the road and the beach is not a wide white sand walking beach.
The meals were enjoyable, with the exception of dinner. All meals are served in a lovely outdoor pavilion with a view of the ocean, gardens and fish pond. Everyone eats at one long table. The breakfast and lunch selections were varied and of good quality. They offered several choices, both Indonesian and European. For breakfast they had bali coffee in a press followed by fruit and your main course. During breakfast you make your lunch selection. This pre-ordering made lunch service quick, but it was not optimal as we would order a light selection and then come back from the morning dive ravenous, wishing we had ordered something different. But the dishes were all nicely prepared and a dessert was offered (even if you did not pre-order it). Service was always prompt and pleasant. Dinner was not as good as breakfast or lunch. It is served as a buffet starting a 7 each night. By 7 we were starving (we should have gone to the afternoon tea, but never made it). The service was brusk, only one stern woman who seemed very concerned that we were not taking too much food. Thank goodness there was always lots of steamed rice and usually a chicken dish. Many of the other steamers contained an odd jumble of European and Indonesian options that were often a bit overcooked. Such a let down after the nice food and service at breakfast and lunch. Still, the price we were paying was very reasonable, but I would have not minded paying a bit more for some better options at dinner.
One other nit was when you did the early morning dive at the Tulamben wreck (we did it two mornings) there is no snack or light breakfast offered before the dive. We convinced the woman at dinner the night the dives to give us each a banana and the press filled with coffee so we could heat water for it in the morning (maybe that was why she was stern with us?) or we would have starved. I recommend bringing snacks and power bars.
We enjoyed our stay at Villa Markisa very much. The owners have worked hard at putting together an exceptionally well run dive resort in the middle of nowhere. I highly recommend Villa Markisa.

Room Tip: Bungalows offer a more authentic bali experience and privacy plus an outdoor shower and bathroom. B...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sparky22
There are newer reviews for Villa Markisa Dive Resort

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed 4 nights in a bungalow and we could immediately tell when we arrived that this would be good.
Located on top of the black Tulamben beach with a muckdive site just outside, the resort is very well planned and every detail is perfect and well organized, the garden is beautiful with the pool area and restaurant in the center of it.
Our bungalow had a nice view of the pool and garden, the bathroom had a private garden and the porch had a big bed to relax on.
A typicall day can go like this:
Go for a la carte breakfast, make a dive, relax in the sun or enjoy the pool, have a la carte lunch, go for another dive or have the staff arrange a trip for you.
Have a beer at you porch or go enjoy the bar by the beach and swap some dive stories, finish with the Buffé dinner and a cocktail.
The meals are served in the restaurant where you eat and meet with the other guests, if you would like a more private dinner the staff can arrange a table in the garden for you, very nice!
You can alos get a massage if you like that.
We enjoyed all of our meals and there are always lots of different things to choose from.
We were pretty much able to decide where and when we would like to have our dives and you can go for 1-4 dives each day, whatever you like.
Staff was nice and friendly and they prepared our bungalow every day taking up and down the curtains and kept it very clean.
The were some pretty big waves on the beach when we visited and this could make it a little tricky to get inte the boat going for a dive, but the staff takes care ot you and all your gear so that was not a problem anyway, the sea would usually be calmer we were told, the visibility was not great due to the waves but we had some pretty good dives anyway.
We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Bungalow 1 has a great location near the divearea and the pool, but other bungalows are probably ver...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L_Kongo
Reviewed 11 July 2013

For our family Villa Markisa was as close to paradise as one can get! Everything was just perfect for a relaxing 8 days we spent there. Both the divers and non-divers loved the time we spent there.
It is located in a very quiet local area few kilometers south from Tulamben. Only one other (dive) resort is located in the same stretch of beach - you can have it all by yourself. Local village life starts just outside of the resort grounds. The beach in front of the resort was actually better than I was expecting (black sand and a bit coarse, but pretty decent for a swim especially when the sea was calm).
We had a bungalow (four of us, 2 kids) at the back of the gardens - spacious and clean. Good beds. Garden was lovely as was the pool (which we had most of the time just for ourselves).
Diving so easy and plenty of sites around - you do not need to dive same site twice, on the other hand you could dive direct from beach as there is the spectacular house reef. We had the best dives in Tulamben Drop-off where we saw reef shark and turtles! Local dive guides were very helpful and funny guys - took good care of our junior diver,and tried hard to spot the weird creatures of the sea.
Food was great and of good variety - primarily Asian but always one western dish if you like. Breakfast and lunch were made to order (you select from small menu) and dinner buffet.

Balinese massages provided at the bale were great.

The resort can organize you decently priced tours to beautiful East Bali area. One day we went to Lipah Bay for a day out on beach with driver organized by resort - which was nice as there was an excellent coral reef where kids could snorkel as well.

Overall our week at Villa Markisa was a highlight of our Bali trip - hope we will get back some day! I can warmly recommend it for anyone wanting good diving or relaxing time in beautiful and different East Bali (it is guaranteed you will be a long way from the touristy Bali!).

Thanks Christine and the Villa Markisa staff for you warm hospitality!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ArskaDiver
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I booked a room at Villa Markisa for a 5 day/4 night dive trip after reading and hearing about the rave review it go I occupied Room 4 within the Main Block which also housed the admin office, the library, a boutique and an area for your servicing your underwater cameras. This resort was immediately next door to Scuba Seraya Resort where I had stayed at during my previous dive trip to Bali.

Firstly I must say that the grounds, landscaping and rooms are all immaculately maintained and you could see that there was an attention to detail. This is very possibly the best maintained and run dive resort in the area. Room 4 itself was a huge room with an equally huge bathroom with stone tiles, a large shower stall with handheld shower and rainshower, a generous sink area and table top, two working tables for photographic equipment, a clothing rack for drying wet clothes and swimwear and lighting was very good. Good quality and proprietary shower gel and shampoo/conditioner were provided. It was very thoughtful for the bathroom to have a separate door to the grounds, to avoid dragging in sand and grit after a dive or visit to a beach. The room itself faced the beach and between the beach and the room was a large open air jacuzzi and a medium sized pool suitable for doing a few decent laps.

The room itself offered a four poster bed with mosquito netting, air conditioning, a work desk and chair, a well stocked refrigerator and snacks, a safe, an umbrella for showers, a kettle for boiling water and coffee and tea supplies. Lighting was very generous at all sections in the room and there were ample plug points to charge the batteries for my camera, torches, dive computers, etc. The mattress and pillows were very comfortable. There was a covered lanai in front of the room where there was a coffee table and a large day bed to lounge on.

The dive shop and the restaurant were housed in separate buildings within close walking distance. The dive crew was on the whole efficient, safety conscious and were polite and very helpful and I was more than happy to treat them all to a babi guling or roast pork breakfast and some beers in the evening before I left.

I had a Balinese massage in the spa pavilion at this was priced at 22 Euros which I found was a big steep but the massage was relaxing.

THINGS I DID NOT ENJOY
- The overall cost of services and items at the resort is quite high for Bali and prices are in Euro and not US$ as the common practice in Bali and the rest of Indonesia
- Payment for the room and board was requested via bank transfer to I arrived. Credit card assured reservations were not accepted. Please note that receiving Indonesian banks charge a hefty administration fee of about US$18 to US$20 and this is not borne by the resort as a cost of doing business but borne by us, as the guest
- There is s compulsory mean plan of breakfast, lunch and dinner costing 30 Euros per day per person if you stay here. Apart from breakfast I did not like being forced to take all my meals there. Secondly the food although of good quality ingredients was in the most part unremarkable, I felt it was generally was too bland and generally more suited to European or safe palates i.e. the flavours were not exciting.
- Diving here is expensive as compared to other resorts as all boat dives attracted an extra boat transfer fee irrespective if the dive spot was only 1 or 2 minutes away.
- The only complimentary bathroom toiletries included were shower gel and conditioning shampoo, albeit good quality. Additional toiletries available in the bathroom were charged e.g. sunscreen, moisturizer; if used at around 5 Euro per item.
- When paying settling your bill upon checkout, there was a 2.5% fee for using a Visa credit card.
- Notwithstanding that there is a 5% service fee tagged on to every bill, I was still verbally encouraged to tip upon check out. "Tip" was first mentioned in the briefing by the senior lady receptionist upon check in and again in the information book in the room and then once more by one of the two co-owners upon check out although it was put as voluntary...honestly I did feel very pressured and harassed to tip. The guideline was 4-6 Euro per day, per person and thus I parted with 20 Euros.
- Upon arrival, I was greeted by a rather stoic senior lady receptionist whom I felt was programmed to deliver her briefing in highly robotic and programmed manner. I had arrived past noon and had just sad down to lunch when she said she had to brief me, even though my lunch was in front of me and that it would take about 2 minutes so I allowed her to proceed. It was so mechanical and programmed, yes tips was mentioned here and after the briefing she said "And now you may eat". I felt so damned uncomfortable.
- After lunch, she gave me a diving status declaration form to complete and said the wanted me to complete it and she would come to my room in 10 minutes time to collect it, which she did and then said I had to be interviewed by the divemaster. I could not even chill slightly. I do not know what is wrong with her but she seemed behaving like a bloody Gestapo Officer
- Although the rest of the staff on the property were friendly and open i.e. the dive crew, the gardeners and housekeeping staff, I found the restaurant staff to be uptight and more distant and seldom did I see any natural smiles from the heart and attributed this to perhaps the restaurant to be one of the more frequently visited areas by the owners of the resort property who stay on the premises.
- Apparently I learned that the staff were informed not to educate guests that there were a few small convenience stores just outside and about 100 metres from the resort and not to encourage guests to go there. I found this out when I got a ride from one of the staff when I was walking there and the staff very kindly offered to give me a free ride there and even waited for me while I purchased some cup noodles and drinks. I offered to pay him for the ride but he refused so I bought some snacks for his children.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay with good diving, wonderful accommodation, pools and gardens and the almost clockwork precision which everything functions at; all of which I enjoyed but I don't think I would readily return again in view of the nit picking, penny pinching and calculative climate for every bit and speck and the "tip" stress. Also it would be good to see much happier and satisfied staff in all operational areas.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
17  Thank HKChong
Reviewed 28 May 2013

For those of you who haven't traveled to Bali, much of it is - well - a bit rough. Beautiful, certainly. And populated by a friendly people with a unique and often charming culture. But rough nonetheless. Even the three stars we looked at would not have received that rating in Europe or the States. I know that living in North America and Europe we are probably spoiled, but I am just not that fond of pit toilets and no running water.
So we were so very pleased when, after a very bumpy two and one half hour journey from Denpassar airport, we arrived at one of the most immaculate and well-appointed resorts I have ever visited. We rented one of the private bungalows, featuring an outdoor shower, toilet, and sink set in a very private gated garden adorned with lush vegetation. The attention to detail is amazing - from the door knobs to the furniture to the lamps, the place reflects the good tastes of its Swiss and German owners without compromising on a true Bali experience. Our bungalow featured a large porch and sitting area with terrific views of the ocean, just a few meters away. The room itself was spacious, with all of the amenities.
I'm usually not a joiner, but we loved being able to meet our fellow travelers and divers in the elegant open-air dining pavilion - the dining was communal but nevertheless intimate, given the fact that this is not a large resort. The food was very good, although perhaps a bit limited in variety, which we found almost everywhere we visited in Bali. Still, it was always freshly prepared and professionally served by a cheerful and attentive staff.
The dive instructors were patient and knowledgeable. As opposed to schlepping from a hotel to a dive location, you walk a few meters to the resort's dive center, which is located right on the resort's beach. And you can dive right from that beach and be treated to very good and easy diving. Or the resort can take you by boat to a variety of sites just a few minutes from the resort. The diving in and around Tulamben is relatively safe, as opposed to some of the sites on the lower east coast of the island. That was perfect for us as novices, but the other, more accomplished divers found plenty of challenging diving too.
We found the equipment was just fine, but if you want the latest and greatest in dive computers, bring your own.
I see some of the reviewers were a bit disappointed that there wasn't all that much to do in the area. Look, it's a dive resort in Bali! While it's a great place to relax and read, to go there and not dive is a bit like staying in a small ski resort but not skiing. You can do it, and I suppose you can really enjoy relaxing, but ....
Ask the owners to arrange a scenic tour with a knowledgeable local. Amazing visits to gorgeous temples offered a pleasant respite from diving.
Christiane - the German owner - is a fabulous underwater photographer, and is more than willing to share her skills and knowledge.
The staff were genuinely friendly and devoted to our needs.
In short, I would return here again and again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank John L
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed in bungalow #3. The room is excellent. It's basically a large bedroom with a bed in the middle, a comfortable day bed, desk, and a lot of closet space. Everything inside was very clean and modern, yet included local and traditional Balinese decor. The view from our bungalow was outstanding. It is up a bit higher and you look over the gardens, directly to the ocean. We had an excellent private balcony that faced the ocean with another day bed and table and chairs. The room, from the back is a private bungalow enclosed in high walls. The bathroom is outside and it felt like we were in our own, tiny, beautiful garden. Ironically, it still feels very clean and almost as if we were in doors. There weren't very many bugs as the owners take great strides to reduce them. We aren't big fans of bugs and we always felt comfortable going outside to the bathroom. It added to the adventure and uniqueness of the resort. The room faces almost due east and we had amazing views of the sunrise.

The resort has fantastic gardens, probably the best we've ever seen at a hotel. The lawns are perfectly manicured and there is a great variety of trees and beautiful flowers. There is a large pool and some lounge chairs. The beach is rocky and brownish/black. The surf comes right up to the edge of the resort. There are a few adjacent dive resorts, but for the most part, the beach is very vacant.

- Food was great. There were western and Indonesian dishes. Dinner was buffett style.
- The diving was amazing. We'd never gone muck diving before and apparently this is one of the best places to do it. The Liberty wreck is also a must see. Their boats, equipment, and guides were great. Arranging a dive was so easy. One afternoon we walked over to the dive center to see if we could dive that afternoon and 15 minutes later we were suiting up.
- The spa was great. We had a couples massage right next to the beach and could hear the waves spash against the shore
- We relaxed a lot at the resort and enjoyed our time. Tulamben is not a tourist town and there is very little reason to get out of the resort. Even if you aren't a scuba diver, a few days here are not too dull.
-The owners, Christiane and Pedro, were incredibly nice and engaged with the guests. They joined us for dinner several nights and were always asking how things were to ensure we were comfortable and enjoyed our stay
- Bottled water is included. The hotel provides you with as much water as you want. However, upon turndown service, we discovered they brought us new water but just filled up our old bottles. We had to ask several times in order to get brand new, sealed water bottles. In the end, Christiane was accommodating.
- The gardens (see above)
- The communal dining can be fun and you get to know the other guests, have good conversation, etc. If you want to have a more romantic dinner, they will set up a table right at the edge of the garden next to the beach. It's a lovely alternative to the 1 large table with all the other guest (note: your dinner is still the buffett)

The not so good:
- Internet is expensive - about 9 Euros for 2 hours. We thought such a modern/expensive place would have internet included
- The bar doesn't open until 4. You can get drinks from the kitchen almost any time during the day but there isn't any service by the ocean/pool unless you make it happen
- We aren't big divers and when we mentioned we were only going to dive a couple times over our week stay, we got the sense from the staff that we were doing something wrong. This happened several times.
- Money
- The price for the hotel is fair
-You must pay for your stay, by transferring money to a Swiss bank account. We thought this was very suspect and were a little uncomfortable with it. The only reason we decided to move forward with it was because of all the reviews on tripadvisor. It was inconvenient to go to the bank and they charged us an extra $40 to transfer the money
- Unexpected charges. 1) Mouth pieces for diving. They charged for new mouth pieces so their guests don't have to use previously chewed mouth pieces. This is fine, except a) we would have been ok using old mouth pieces and b) we weren't told about it until it was on our bill upon check out 2) Dive computers. On our 1st dive, we didn't use dive computers and our standard depth gauges on our regulator didn't work. We told the dive staff that the gauges didn't work and they suggested we use dive computers. We assumed this was the staff's solution to our problem and would be included in our complete gear rental. At the end, we discovered we were charged extra for the dive computers even though we weren't informed we needed to pay for them. We think a functioning depth gauge should be included in a standard gear rental.
- Transportation is expensive. Their hotel driver is more expnsive than other drivers we used in Bali

In general, this is a beautiful, clean, modern, well-run and wonderful resort. However, we had a continual sense that the resort had a routine and if you went against the routine, we felt awkward and not as relaxed as we'd hoped.

Room Tip: Bunglow #3 has the most privacy and a great view of the ocean and sunrise There is a main building...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Leah W
Reviewed 15 May 2013

If you would like a very nice place to stay in a remote setting of Bali then this is it. Unfortunately, we had to cut our stay short but the 2 days we had there were very nice. Pedro, one of the Swiss owners is available and friendly, making sure everything is going well. The setting is beautiful on a volcanic black, rocky beach (not great for lounging on, but attractive anyway). The room we had was #3 - I think there are only 8 altogether. Our room was up slightly on a hill which afforded us a nice view and privacy. The other rooms enjoyed a walk-out from the patio to the pool which was also nice, if less private. The bathrooms were actually my favorite part being outside and in the walled garden. The AC worked well and we were grateful to come back to its coolness in the room. The other nice feature was the daybed on the balcony. The food was good and plentiful and the service was excellent. The WiFi left some to be desired as the only Internet is provided with an awkward, and relatively expensive voucher system. It worked though, so, oh well. The diving is the main attraction at this resort although it is not mandatory to dive here to enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: #3 for best privacy
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeannieray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulamben
Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
#5 of 12 in Tulamben
Bali Dive Resort and Spa
Bali Dive Resort and Spa
#1 of 14 in Tulamben

Been to Villa Markisa Dive Resort? Share your experiences!