“Wouldn't go anywhere else....Ever!”

Liberty Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Perth, Australia
“Wouldn't go anywhere else....Ever!”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My brother and I have just returned from my second stay at the Liberty Dive Resort, and although I have only been to Tulumben twice, both my brother and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Recommend to us by an friend who not only was a keen diver, but had stayed at numerous hotels in Tulumben.

The Resort is perfectly situated just a hundred meter walk to the USAT Liberty Wreck and only a short drive and/ or boat ride to some awesome diving locations. This year my brother and I dived for 6 days, and had Esen as our dive guide for all 18 dives, and last year for our 9 dives we had Agus. Both amazing guides and wonderful ambassadors for the waters they dive in. We would discuss each following days plans with them and wherever we wanted to dive was no problem (barring.issues created by mother nature) and all transport arrangements ran like clockwork.
The front office staff lead by resort manager Wayan were first class. We dealt a lot with Ady on the front desk, and nothing was ever too much trouble, and while he's was extremely professional, we were able to forge a wonderful friendship with him

The rooms are more than comfortable, good air conditioning and comfy beds. While there are no tv's in the rooms, I did not miss being cut off from tv. The rooms had wifi access and I was able to communicate to my family in Perth via my ipad.

I never had a dud meal in the resorts restaurant, although I did not stray from the Indonesian cuisine and cannot comment on their western food, except for breakfast which is adequate. The beef rendang is a standout dish.

The girls and guys who ran the restaurant were all absolutely awesome. They are all so happy and genuinely friendly people. We had lots of fun as they tried in vain to teach us Indonesian.

All in all, when I departed the hotel i almost felt like I was leaving friends, and am planning with my brother our next stay back at the Liberty

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Christopher I

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Liberty dive resort is the perfect location for access to amazing dive sites. Just a short walk to the end of the street and you are there! The rooms in the resort are beautiful. Ours overlooked the pool.
The dive equipment appeared well maintained and our guide, Jink, knew the area like the back of his hand and pointed out all the exciting critters.
The food was a bit of a let down unfortunately but at least not over priced. All staff are absolutely lovely.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mykonos, Greece
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Although the resort is lucking the ocean view the prices are excellent value.
The rooms are really well taken care and the people that run it are great.
Breakfast was of high quality and the dive shop was really well maintained and a high standard facility.We did not stay long but I recumbent ti to anyone heading that way.We even try the room service late at night and the quality was really good.Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are great
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Tulamben

Stayed here for 4 nights over my partners 30th birthday. He chose this because of the dive facilities & location to the liberty dive wreck.
We where greeted warmly by reception staff & given a beautiful welcome drink.
Our room was very big, huge, comfortable bed. Balcony was massive & overlooked the pool.
Fair sized bathroom. Shower was nice & warm but water went everywhere & soaked the floor. It wasn't a problem though as it was so hot it didn't take long to disappear again.
First night we had Asian neighbours, I could hear them talk & giggle until late but they must have checked out the next day as all was quiet again thankfully.
Air con worked well in the room.
Breakfast was included & was nice. We ordered pancakes, fruit & fruit juice every morning.
Our first dive went great. Good instructor who just guided us as we have PADI OW. Didn't talk much but we like that. He was still very friendly. Dives are cheap, cannot remember exactly how much but my partner also done a night dive & a further dive the following day.
Whilst we done out first dive I had arranged for the staff to decorate the room with 30th birthday decorations that I brought with me. We arrived back & the room was beautiful. They accommodated this so well, nothing was a problem. They even ordered in a cake for me, it was decorated beautifully & was so fresh. Apparently a friend of the managers bakes them, so a big thank you. I had pre-arranged this via email before we arrived. The staff made such a fuss at dinner, they had prepared a beautiful garland made from fresh flowers & placed it around my partners neck whilst the guy from reception played guitar & everyone sang happy birthday. It was so special, we won't forget it.
We hired a motorbike (scooter) for cheap & drove down to Ahmed. The lock broke on the bike & we contacted the hotel. 2 boys came down & collected it, took it to get serviced & arrived back within 40mins with the bike fixed.
Every time we seen a new member of staff they greeted us with the warmest smile & hello. I can't state just how pleasant they all are.
The massage ladies can be quite forward. We had only arrived 10mins & were shouting up to our balcony "massage, massage". I gave in as it was only about £5 (100,000rp) I enjoyed it & went back again next day for another.
Pool area is clean & great for catching some rays or lying under the shaded trees reading a book.
Our first night we ate in a restaurant a couple of mile away, the hotel drive us there & also returned to pick is up. I mean it when I say they cannot do enough for you.
Would love to stay here again, it was a pleasure.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JillyOrr
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We came as a mixed group of beginner and intermediate divers and thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The room was big and airy (we took the family room) and was clean. We loved the patio where we can hang out in front of the room. The bungalows look nice as well. There are two pools, a deep one for dive trainings and another one for swimming at length. Lots of good spots just to relax and read a book and there are ibu-ibu pijat offering great massages for 100k for 60 minutes. Nice! Food are good and reasonably priced. Try the nasi goreng and selection of fishes they have there. Only downside are the desserts so might as well just load up on the fresh fruits.

One of our friend took PADI Open Water license and was very happy to have Suker as her instructor. Our guide was Nyoman and he makes you feel totally at ease when diving with him. Their equipments are still in good condition and he knows his way around the dive sites really well. He is also helpful with tips and trick on diving techniques. Our best experience was sunrise dive where we spot schooling bump heads and coral garden area with the unique shrimp cleaning service where the shrimps clean your teeth :) I spotted my first black-tip there as well!

Room Tip: Remind them to clean your room in the morning :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We've been diving in Tulamben repeatedly since 1998, when Tulamben didn't even have phone service. Before this trip we always stayed at Palm Paradise, right in the middle of the bay, on the bay. This time we tried Liberty Dive, about 100 meters up the hill from the bay, located at the west end of the bay near the Liberty Wreck.

Our problem in Tulamben stems from the fact that the beach is rocky--no sand--so for older divers like, getting in & out of the water has been challenging. And walking up & down the beach to different dive sites has been challenging as well.

Liberty Dive Resort solves this two ways. Maybe three.

For diving the Liberty Wreck, you put on your wetsuit and walk down the paved road to steps leading down to the beach at the closest point to the Liberty Wreck. So you only need to traverse a few meters of rocks to get into the water, and they're glad to put your dive gear in the water so you can get into it there. A small truck hauls you dive gear between beach & resort. The resort is situated about 30 meters down from the road that passes through Tulamben, so it's easy to walk into town from the resort if you want to try different restaurants, shops.

For diving elsewhere in Tulamben Bay and nearby they load the divers & divemasters into a little flatbed truck and drive you there, taking backroads that get you all the way to the beach, wherever you're going to enter.

You can combine this with renting a fisherman's jukung (local fishing boat) for $10 more, for example if you want to go to the dropoff at the east end of Tulamben Bay. As long as the boat has a tange (ladder) you're good to go.

The road and the truck and the fishing boats combine to make diving at Tulamben easy, even for older divers like us. We can concentrate on the diving itself instead of the hassles of getting to/from our entry point. This has restored Tulamben as a desirable destination for us.

And for old Tulamben hands--no porters are involved, because you aren't walking up & down the beach. It's all "truck and/or boat" diving. You can even arrange to have a boat take you from the entry point near the Liberty Wreck out to the wreck.

The resort itself is lovely. It is on a hillside, and of course there are no elevators, so you'll be waliking up and down about three stories vertically total to get from your rooms to the dive shop to the restaurant to the two different swimming pools. But not all at once usually. None of us found that to be a problem, and the physical setting and architecture are quite nice.

I wasn't as delighted by the free breakfast as I have been at other resorts- I like a buffet with a mix of Western and Indonesian breakfast foods, and this was an "order what you want and they serve it to you" more limited thing, though the quantity was fine.

The dive shop was competent. They're fine with you bringing your own gear but don't give you a discount for doing so--the price (which was quite reasonable) includes all dive gear needed. We did wind up using their open heel fins with our booties (they don't provide booties), because Tulamben's rocky shores aren't wonderful with closed-heel fins and simple dive socks, like we used in Pemuteran.

One of the pools is deep enough for dive training & is used for that; the other is good for swimming lengths if you want to.

We came with a mix of veteran divers, intermediate ones, and newbies, plus two nondiving snorkelers. All of us really liked Liberty Dive Resort & plan to use it next time we go to Tulamben.

Tulamben Bay itself makes for interesting diving, quite different from other sites in Bali. The bottom is rocks-to-boulders transitioning to volcanic sand further out, with big patches of garden eels, the famous Liberty Wreck (which now doesn't look much like a ship, unlike when we first started coming here), and a mini-wall at the other end of the bay. Plus you can go to adjacent bays as well for muck diving & whatnot. Plus muck diving in the middle of Tulamben Bay.

Tulamben has grown a lot since we first started coming, but it's still a quiet place with sedate night life, no street/beach vendors, and a focus on diving & snorkeling--which was just what we wanted. Go somewhere else if you want to party.

Do note that the Liberty Wreck throngs with divers bussed in from the urban south from 10 to 4 and more. So if you're staying here place to dive it early/late. Mid day mostly you'll see Japanese divers following their leaders and German divers down below.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lee T
Manado, Indonesia
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

It was unfortunate that our original plan didn't work out as it should have been due to unforeseen circumstances on our part. However, Pak Wayan was quick and flexible to accommodate changes as it happened. At the end me and my son was able to do three great dives with liberty dive resort.
Nyoman, our guide, was superb. He knows the sites very well, showed us many things during the dive. The dive facility was good. The people at the restaurant were very helpful. The food was also not bad. The lack of enclosed bathroom for non staying guests was the only thing that need to be improved upon. Pricing was reasonable.
I did forget to pack my wetsuit after the dives, gave Nyoman a call as soon as i noticed the missing wetsuit and to my surprise they manage to deliver my wetsuit the next morning during their regular pick up/drop off trip to Kuta. Happy divers at the end. Would definitely dive with LDR again.

Stayed January 2014