“Best Resort at Tulamben”

Mimpi Resort Tulamben
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Newcastle Australia
“Best Resort at Tulamben”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We spent 4 nights in the Deluxe Cottages and where very happy with the cottages and the whole resort. The resort is right on the beach and is in a great location close to the wreck and other dive sites. No complaints about the diving or snorkelling the dive shop and crew at the resort were outstanding handling everything from guiding the dives to rinsing your dive gear.
Snorkellers wear sea shoes when on the beach larva stones are very tricky to walk on. The meals can get pretty pricey at the resort but if you walk out the gates there are some nice little restaurants that are cheaper and some are on the beach. Enjoy

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Mature landscape, clean, quiet rooms. Reasonably priced. Friendly personnel.

Decent massage.

Room Tip: Look for the beach view villas
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trilife
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Great location for divers of the wreck. One of the better hotels along the beachfront and very close to the wreck and drop off. Set in mature gardens on the fringe of a rocky beach the rooms and villas at Mimpi are very comfortable with outdoor showers. The pool and restaurant are planned so that you can view the splendid sun rise and the waves. Be aware that there is no television in the rooms and internet is not free, reminding us that we are there for diving and relaxation. Food in the hotel is better than what is served by the roadside restaurants. We had fun and may come back.

Room Tip: All rooms are set amidst mature gardens. Closer to the beach are the more expensive villas.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sweetiemine
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Stayed at Mimpi as part of a large Dive group. We pretty much filled up the facility and they catered to our group the entire time. Meals were buffet style prepared for us three times per day and it was quite good. Diving was very low key--a little different from other dive trips I have been on. The dive masters were very accommodating, and there were porters that carried the dive gear to and from the beach and the boats for us. Our room was clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are actually outdoors (but enclosed by rock fence and are part of your resort room). It was a neat touch--all marble and river rock, very exotic. The toilet seat did have a crack in it that would pinch your bum, and I noticed another reviewer also complained about the toilet seats.... My other complaint was that they lent me a hair dryer, but it was in such poor shape that it nearly electrocuted me! The staff had much more difficulty with English than we experienced in other parts of Bali. Otherwise, we really enjoyed it and I would stay there again if I go back to Bali.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms have fancier bathrooms and outdoor entry for wet divers
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Just returned from a week diving in Bali and stayed at Mimpi for a couple of nights while diving the wreck at Tulamben. I didn't personally choose this resort, it was booked as part of a dive safari and I came on to TripAdvisor after I'd booked the trip and realised the reviews weren't all that great, so I wasn't really expecting much when I got there. I have to say though, I was pleasantly surprised.

I arrived early at 9.30am and they gave me a room immediately so that I could dump my bags and get my dive gear organised. I had to change rooms that afternoon, but at least I was given a temporary room to get things sorted out for diving! Same on check-out, they let me keep my bags in the room until it was time to leave at around 2pm for the next dive site on my itinerary. There's not always a lot of places who allow for an early check in and late check out around the world these days, so I will admit I was impressed.

The rooms were clean, and while the showers did take a while for the hot water to come through, it was there. The breakfast that was included was a standard "American" breakfast with a bunch of options cooked to order. The freshly made watermelon juice was great! I didn't eat dinners here so can't comment on their regular menu.

I dived with an external dive operator and didn't use the in-house dive shop, so can't really comment on that side of things, beyond to say that there is an in-house dive shop...

Overall, yes, the place is reasonably basic...But I was there to dive, not to veg out in a luxury spa. If I wanted that I'd go to Nusa Dua or Ubud. So I really don't see why this place seems to get such a bad rap given what it costs. Or maybe I just got lucky?

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Utah
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed for a few nights while diving Tulamben. It is a good location and the property is beautiful and quiet. We enjoyed relaxing on the pool deck. Rooms are clean and spacious, but the beds are horribly firm. It's expensive for what you get, so we didn't see the value and customer service was pretty poor. The restaurant is expensive as well, and not that great, and it's is the only hotel on the beach that charges for Internet access.

If you want quiet and scenic and don't mind the expense, then Mimpi is probably a good choice. I think if we were to go back we would try Paradise instead. It wasn't as quiet there, but it seemed to be a better value. All the other choices in the area don't look very clean.

One note to divers - we spent three days diving the Tulamben area. It has some interesting dives, but three days was about twice as long as we needed to see everything.

• Stayed May 2011
Oregon
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This hotel has decent waterview rooms, ok food, good dive operation and an average pool. We went to the adjacent hotels for lunch and dinner and realized that we were at a far nicer facility. Compared to the nearby hotels along the rock beach, this was by far the nicest facility, even though it was average in quality. Compared to others, mimpi pool was a palace, for example.

If you want to dive here, three full days will cover everything. Note that after a rainstorm house reef and adjacent waters are covered in litter for about a half day. A

We had some trouble with a guide named gede through the hotel who took us to see his friends and to get commissions and simply dropped us at the temple, but the hotel did refund half when we complained. Ask for a different guide or stay in Ubud for a tour.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple