“Excellent Diving Resort (Newbie or Experienced)”

Tulamben Wreck Divers Resort
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent Diving Resort (Newbie or Experienced)”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Im a newbie and came here with an intention of completing my open water course, while my friend who's an experienced diver came to take underwater photography lessons and do social/fun dives.
At the end of my stay, I walked away completing 3 more courses (total of 4 altogether).
TWD is an excellent resort as they cater for newbies to experienced diver. From the time we arrived at the airport, the driver was there waiting for us (eventhough our flight arrived early). The car was spacious for our luggages (as we brought most of our own gear, except for the weights and tanks).
I stayed in one of the new superior rooms at the ground floor, which was comfortable with spacious and firm bed. It has a safe if you want to lock your wallets, passports etc, it has a hot shower, mini bar, TV and DVD, aircon and fan.
The resort was a nice easy walk to various dive sites such as: Liberty Wreck, Coral Gardens and Drop-Off. Which suited a newbie like me as I got to experienced them all and was able to practice my skills while having fun.

Erik was my instructor and he's excellent! He knew how to deal with the anxiety of newbies and made me at ease after my very first ocean dive. I enjoyed my courses and progressed to Advanced and took Deep Specialty and Nitrox as well. By 3rd day I was averaging 3 to 4 days of diving, as I also took social diving with the guides in between my courses.
Darma - one of the dive guides is a macro fan! He's very good at finding the little stuff! Make sure you ask him to take you to the "cleaning station" in Coral Gardens.
One of the highlights of my experience is the diving the wreck at night - which I got to do 3 times and it was awesome! We got to see a huge moray eel, bumphead parrotfish, big gropers etc.
My favourite was the close encounter with the turtle at the Drop-Off at 5m off the wall...fantastic!

With regards to food, I favoured the "Safety Stop" resto which is about 500meters away from the resort.

There's also a convenience store opposite the resort so if you're OK to use the typical brands of shampoo, soap, detergent etc then don't bother bringing those with you to save your precious kilos of luggage.

You can also request for a massage which only costs about 8 to 10AUD (full body). Trust me, after 4 dives a day, nothing beats a good sleep after a relaxing massage!

I strongly recommend this resort to anybody wanting to try diving, average and even experienced divers. There are so much to see and do. We also did a day trip to Seraya which was a heaven for the macro buffs!

I will definitely come back :-)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hakunamatata16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I recently stayed at TWD for a week. The room was spacious and clean, the setup for divers perfect and it was nice and quiet. It was easy to book and a pickup service from Denpasar Airport is also offered, which is very convenient since its a bit of a drive to get there. Diving the wreck was a bit average due to the recent weather, but the macro diving was fantastic and the guides really knew where to find stuff. I also did some day tours (land-based) and they were great fun! The staff and dive guides were professional and friendly and always happy to help with any questions I had. I definitely can recommend this place and would come back to it if I come back to Tulamben again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Warnbro, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My partner and I first stayed at the Wreck Divers Villas December 2012 so that I could get my Open water. We went off peak and had the benefit of One on One instruction for me to get my ticket. Eric was an awesome instructor and had me calm and eager to blow bubbles from day one. While I was busy learning my partner was out enjoying "the drop off" and the "US Liberty" with Norman (I have spelt it wrong) and they were taking the most amazing footage that inspired me more. After 4 day I had my ticket and the boys took me out to cruise with the bumpheads at the Wreck. it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!
We stayed at the Villas (just up the road) in Number 4 and had the most distracting views in our elegant room. There was no TV reception (fine for us, we watched DVDS), no radios and no outside interruptions, it was blissful to put aside our busy lives. The staff were very kind and welcoming and always ready with a smile and a hand to help. Breakfast is awesome there as well.
After the Peace and Beauty of Tulamben, we made a poor choice and went to Kuta (enough said)
It took us 6 weeks after we returned to Australia to begin planning our next trip....
In May 2013 (for my birthday) we returned to the Villas and the Wreck divers for a second pure diving holiday, the second time was even better than the first, we spoke to our guide (Norman) and trusted him to make the right choices for us in regards to where to dive and when to dive for the best experience, we figured he lives local and knows the environment better than we do and we were not disappointed..... 15 dives 1200 photos and 6 days later we were exhausted and exhilarated and excited to plan to go there again.
This time we deco-ed in Sanur and were far more relaxed for our trip home......

Room Tip: The Villas are a great choice if you crave calm and quiet, but its best if you can ride a scooter as...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

An excellent experience. The resort was very good value for money, with clean, comfortable rooms; which is all you need when your main reason to be is Tulamben is to 'get wet'. The diving was good and I can highly recommend to anyone that if they wish to stay and scuba dive in Tulamben they need to look no further. I would especially suggest to all those qualified divers to do a very early morning dive on the wreck.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Firstly, we had good experience when communicating with the resort. Their prompt and clear replies have helped ease our planning process.
Next, we were very pleased by the pick-up service from Denpasar Airport. The driver was courteous and helpful. He was able to provide practical advice about sight-seeing and amenities in Tulamben. The car was clean and spacious. Most importantly, the driver drove safely throughout the 3-hour journey.
The beach front villa was neat and clean. It was very spacious, which allowed us to dry our dive gear. Daily housekeeping was available.
Lastly, the dive centre is located very near to the Liberty Wreck and Coral Gardens dive sites, which was within walking distance. The Tulamben Wreck Divers restaurant also serves excellent local cuisine.
Overall, we were very satisfied with the service rendered by the staff at dive centre, villa and restaurant.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Great resort! We stayed there in May for the Open Water diving course and we couldn't have picked a better place to learn to dive. Firstly, the communication with the hotel was excellent; we received fast and clear replies with no hassle. Always a good indication of the rest of the services a hotel provides. We were picked up from the airport and since the drive to Tulamben is about 3 hours from the airport in Bali we had lunch in Candidasa. It's a long ride, but plenty to see on the way.

Our room was on the second floor overlooking the pool. The room was very spacious and it included a big balcony and a big bathroom (although a bit slippery when wet). Overall it was very nice indeed. From the front door there is a great view of Mount Agung. Basic breakfast at the hotel was provided. The staff overall was extremely friendly and nice. The only downside was the Wi-Fi, which was almost non-existent in the room.

We stayed there in total for 4 nights and started the training course right away. The dive course was amazing. We learned so much and our instructor Eric was fantastic and fun. He was patient, helpful and knowledgeable about all things diving related. After our pool training sessions we had 4 dives in the open water. Because the resort is located quite near the shore, we only had to walk a short distance to the diving location. It was quite convenient. The dives were great in their own right. Just a few meters below the surface is the infamous wreck of the USAT Liberty. For our first dives we went along this amazing wreck, saw tons of fish and also a large sea turtle. Not bad for a first dive.

This is a great place to stay for a few days and do some diving. Besides diving there is not much to do in Tulamben though, the town itself is somewhat quiet (I personally like that, but for some people it might be too much). There are a few restaurants down the road from the hotel, which offer pretty good food especially the Tulamben resort related restaurant. We loved the food there and came back a few times.

Will definitely consider coming back to take the Advanced Open Water course.

1 Thank michaelsaf
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2013

It's fantastic. Secluded. Green. Lush. Great infinity pool and sunrise. Staff attentive.

We went with our two infant children. I went scuba diving. We had the upper villa overlooking the ocean. Great deal for $75 a night. Lots of space. Clean. Lots of towels.

Downsides: No cable. Internet was poor. Breakfast was mediocre.

This wasn't the hotels fault, but diving (especially the wreck) was a little over rated.

Despite the downsides, we stayed two nights and were very happy.

Room Tip: Get the upstairs villa near the ocean. otherwise try and get on the ocean side. It's a bit of...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family