“excellent Mawlamyine hotel”

Ranked #1 of 18 Mawlamyine B&B and Inns
Bellevue, Washington
“excellent Mawlamyine hotel”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here 2/18-20, in a deluxe double ($30/night) for the first two nights and in a "special" double (a 3rd floor room named "Ruby"; $35/night) on our 3rd night. Both rooms were immaculate, with well-stocked mini-bars chock full of fairly-priced delicacies (e.g., beer (!), sodas, some electrolyte-replenishing beverage - which we needed... beware the market buffets in Hpa'an - chips and other dry snacks, if you're into those sorts of things). Like another reviewer said, opt for quieter rooms that face the hotel restaurant, rather than the street (though the street noise is nothing light ear plugs can't resolve). Shortly after we arrived from Bago, staff brought us a plate of chilled Japanese pear slices (outer skin deftly cut off) and a thermos of hot water (for the 3-in-1 packets already in our room, which complemented the complimentary packets of wafer cookies).

The "special" room, which we stayed in b/c it was the only available room when we decided - since we liked the place so much - to extend our reservation by one night, came with a highly functional Asus laptop that immediately connected to the hotel's wireless and provided us with a fast and reliable internet connection as well as an opportunity to edit and upload some photos. Instead of 3-in-1, this room came with instant cappuccino and a slightly classier package of cookies :) The downside was that this "special" room faced the street, making it a bit louder than our earlier room, which faced the restaurant. No big deal - we just put in our light ear plugs and slept quite well.

In both rooms, the air conditioning and on demand hot water heaters worked *extremely* well - no problems at all. The power cut out during our first night, but the generator kicked in within seconds, and the switch back to the main power source (including our blasting a/c) was seamless.

Although the staff's English was so-so, their attentiveness, enthusiasm, and resourcefulness more than made up for the language barrier.

Cinderella serves the snazziest breakfast we've ever encountered in our SE Asia travels. If you're trying to avoid salt and oil (quite a challenge in Myanmar), I recommend the rice with soybeans - contrary to the menu, it's not fried (well, it wasn't during the few days I ate there).

If you're in Mawlamyine and looking for a well-priced, high-quality hotel (i.e., not the new Strand), staying at this charming spot is a no-brainer.

Room Tip: opt for a room that faces the restaurant, rather than the street (although street noise isn't ba...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Doctor M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Piedmont, California
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Location: central near Strand; noisy
Staff: very friendly and helpful
Breakfast: excellent three course breakfast including two-fruit plate, local dessert plate, noodle plate, orange juice, tea and coffee
Room:
- standard ($25) or deluxe ($30) as of 2012 February;
- roomy enough with aircon, two chairs and complimentary water, coffee and snack. More drinks in the full size frig.; air freshener set to automatically spray from beneath the wall clock might be annoying.
- no top sheet under the bed cover
- carpeted floors
- bathroom: worst feature, e.g., no shower stall, so water floods the entire bathroom floor after a shower (same problem at Ngwe Moe and Attrans hotels in similar price range); no hot water for hand sink; hot shower water produced by external device that required water to run for some time before becoming hot; open corner floor pipe drains waste water from hand sink; very little shelf space by hand sink.
Bonus: hotel brochure has the best map of the town.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back facing the dining room are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank PiedmontWalker
uk
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This newly refurbished hotel is trying very hard indeed. Lots and lots of staff eager to please.
Cons
Dangerous electric plug in bathroom, sink that floods floor in bathroom when emptied and lack of a shower mat for a slippery floor. Coffee but no kettle or clue that they expect to bring you hot water.Hard bed.
Pros
The staff are wonderful. the bedrooms have WOW factor and there are lots and lots of freebies. Good breakfast. Again what wonderful staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank davidjjarvis
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is a real amazing place. I arrived on the day of my booking at 4 (!!) in the morning, and I was given my room immediately. I expected to have to pay for an extra night for that, but that wasn't the case, they even brought some fresh fruit and hot water for tea/ coffee to my room in the morning. These people really try to do a great job.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter K
Zurich
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Spent 2 nights at Cinderella. Very good Hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful and I really liked all the complimentary snacks and drinks and the well stocked mini bar. Breakfast was eggs, toast and fruit. Is better than the Altran hotel where I have also stayed, however the Altran has a better location. WIFI can be a bit slow but hey this is Burma and is to be expected.

Room Tip: Away from the street, street rooms can be a bit noisey
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bigw555
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 25 December 2011

I stayed a week in Mawlamyine, and Cinderella Hotel is the best option in town....but do read on and be warned. For what it's worth, I rate the new Strand Hotel by the river as second best - although its beautiful rooms are something of a facade - for example, what's the point of having state-of-the-art bathrooms with no hot water?

The Cinderella hotel is uninspiring from the outside, but take a look - the corridors are full of lovely objets d'art, the rooms are reasonably-sized, bright, airy, clean and if you get a room at the back on the top floor you get fabulous views over the town and the palm fronds to the river. Throw open those windows when you wake up - it'll put you in a good mood. The rooms all have quite large balconies with bench seats - very pleasant for watching the sunset or for reading. Otherwise, there is everything you might need - hot water, air con, refrigerator, TV and so on. The typical mid-range facilities, in other words. Like another reviewer, I couldn't get the wifi working either, but there are internet terminals downstairs. Do try to get a room at the back, though - otherwise you will be facing a busy road with associated traffic noise beaming into the room.

The staff started off being exceptionally friendly, helpful and service-minded. Nothing was too much trouble, doors were being opened for me at every opportunity, the gentleman re-stocking my refrigerator wore white gloves (!).....but then this seemed to fade the longer we stayed there. The service, on occasions, became sloppy. I noticed more and more occasions of staff standing around idly, chatting and joking. Disappointing, although it didn't ruin the experience.

There were a couple of incidents, though, that did spoil things:

(i) We specifically requested from the hotel front desk an air-conditioned car and English-speaking driver to take us south of Mawlamyine for the day. What turned up was a driver who, almost literally, did not speak a word of English and the most beaten up vehicle I think I have ever seen. It had been stripped down to bare metal in many places where it shouldn't have been, and a couple of bits actually fell off during the trip. AIr con meant winding down a window. Not good. I know this is Myanmar, but please....don't lie about it. If you can't supply what we've asked for, just say so.

(ii) We paid, on a separate occasion after initial check-in, for 3 extra days. This was gratefully accepted at the front desk. Then, around 6 p.m. on day 2, it became apparent there was some kind of festival or party nearby because music and associated commentary was coming into the room so loud that it felt like I had turned on the TV at maximum volume. I'm not exaggerating. To cut a long story short, we found out (not from the hotel) that a 48 hour festival was being held one or two streets away, and it rendered our rooms uninhabitable. We had to check out and move elsewhere in the early hours. So many local people knew about the festival that I simply don't believe the people at the hotel front desk didn't know about it. They took our money with full knowledge of what was going to happen. That's just dishonest and unacceptable. It's really a shame, because otherwise I would have highly recommended this hotel...but they put profit before integrity. Cinderella Hotel, please note - running a hotel business is not just about maximising profit at every single chance.

For your travel arrangements, I suggest you speak to the guys at Breeze Rest House instead. They can also rent motorbikes, if you want one.

By the way, another reviewer said something along the lines of "there isn't much to do in and around Mawlamyine". Excuse me? What about the following:

- the amazing Moulmein Pagoda, as mentioned in Kipling's "Mandalay".
- the Death Railway cemetery.
- the old colonial churches.
- visiting some of the remaining Anglo-Burmese residents.
- the extraordinary scenery on a boat trip to Hpa-An. Don't miss this!
- the monastery on Shampoo Island.
- the forest meditation centre, established by a renowned Burmese meditation master.
- the Nwa-La-Bo temple, which is as good as anything you'll see at the golden rock temple.
- watching the sunsets over the river from a cafe, restaurant or teashop on the Strand Road.

...but actually the main pleasure is the soaking up the ambience and enjoying interaction with the locals in this extraordinary location.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sn0wLe0pard
Oregon
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I found this hotel by accident while looking for another place that has apparently closed.
First the bad news: the rooms have carpeting. I don't like carpeting in hotels, especially in Asia. Also, the bathroom in my room had peeling paint and some mildew. A ventilation fan would solve these problems.
Now the good news: The rooms are very clean, including the sheets and towels. This is very important to me. The television and a/c were excellent. Hot water shower was hot! The rooms are large and nicely furnished. The rooms have balconies! The breakfast was excellent. And finally...the staff. In a word, wonderful. I stayed for 3 nights and they began to anticipate my needs. It became humorous actually. I would love to stay here again. So if you're going to Mawlamyine you must stay here!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are close to a very big, old tree with lots of birds.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo