First of all, don't be confused between the Mawlamyaing Strand Hotel and the historic Strand Hotel in Rangoon. Although Moulmein is a lovely old Colonial town, there is no connection (nor similarity between the two). This hotel is called the Strand as that is the name of the street it is on.
We were disappointed by the hotel. Although it only opened in 2011 (as shown on a plaque in the foyer) it is very poorly run and maintained. Indeed, it looked as though it had been in operation and the original condition for 20 years.
To put some colour around this :
1. The quality and finish of the bathrooms were bad with mis-laid tiles and unexplained holes drilled in odd locations. (It reminded me of India in that respect)
2. The hotel was simply not clean. The floors in the common areas were filthy; there were cob-webs in the rooms and litter in the hotel.
3. The staff were simply clueless. Whilst I appreciate that Burma is new to international tourism, the hotel has clearly made no attempt to train staff is how to run a hotel. The foyer doors were left half open letting all the mosquitos (read: malaria) in.
5. The restaurant was a shambles - bad service, mediocre food and tables with half eaten food not cleared. It looked like lunch was on some tables even though it was dinner time. It was a talking point amongst guests. The room service menu was also ridiculously limited.
Another example was that the staff simply failed to take the laundry which was left on the bed in the hotel laundry bag. As we returned to the room of an evening, this was a problem as we were relying on the washing to be done for some clean clothes!
6. Construction work (including what sounded like a jack-hammer) continued until 7pm at night. Considering the hotel is so new, we wondered what might have been going on. It literally took place in the immediately adjacent room.
Everyone is travelling to these parts of the world is open-minded however unfortunately this hotel just didn't cut it. There are no hotel facilities either - no pool, no gym etc. Wifi was limited - available in reception but not in any of the guest areas.
My recommendation would be to try somewhere different if staying in Moulmein (Mawlamyaing).
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Mawlamyaing Strand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.