“Good Option”

Mawlamyaing Strand Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Mawlamyine B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 October 2013

If my rating was based on a comparison to other hotels in the area it would be higher. Overall this is a very good option for Mawlamyaing. Great location across from the road from the waterfront and a short walk from the markets. For what is a relatively new hotel though, a number of issues are starting to emerge. There was a big water leak in the roof of the foyer while we were there and some of the amenities in the rooms have not been well maintained. Having said all that I would stay there again. Just a tip - If you are looking to get washing done while in Myanmar, this hotel is a great option. It was very reasonable and the clothes came back beautifully washed and folded.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I am not a backpacker anymore...so this hotel was the only one I could stay without feeling uncomfortable. We stayed three to a room and the staff was nice to put two extra mattresses to accommodate the third person. My sheets smelled of cat urine the first night, but they dry their sheets outside, so I can see how that can happen. As this was "natural" I did not mind:) The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The views are great, but you cannot see them from the room - we pulled chairs into the hallway to enjoy the sunset.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ruchei
Reviewed 8 April 2013

At first glance, this looked like a great hotel. When we checked in, we were given a room on the 5th floor that was adjacenet to the elevator. I specifically asked for a non smoking room away from the elevator. Our tour guide objected as he knew what I wanted. We were assigned a room on the third floor facing the water. It reeked of cigarette smoke. I asked for another room since I had a breathing problem and I could not tolerate being in a smoke- filled room. We got a room on the second floor overlooking the water. The air conditioner did not work well. Teh outside temperature was probably almost 40 degees Celsius! There was a pair of dirty flip flops (sandals) in the bathroom the first day and the next day, they added another single one (not a pair). Both were filthy. I could not see the rationale of leaving dirty rubber sandals for new guests! They should have thrown them away!
We had coffee and pastry at the lobby the first night and they were good with reasonable prices. The lady in charge was efficient. Sonny, our bellman was friendly. He waved at us whenever he saw us. The staff at breakfast were indifferent. We arrived at 6:30 AM the next day and the doors were locked. Same on the next day. They were not prepared at all. They saw us but did not acknowledged our presesnce. We saw them put the sterno (light for heating food) on the floor , lit them and put them up on the table under the trays of food. That was not too sanitary! The restaurant staff was not friendly at all. They served other guests but avoided us even when I motioned to one that I needed more coffee. She served the 6 people next table to us but ignored us. On the second day, the bus boys were friendly and smiled at us. We told the reception desk staff about it and the waitresses were a little more friendly the next day. They only gave us a bottle of water each day and there were two of us in the room. There was a small TV set in the room. There was a very small safe that was located on the side of the wall but it was hard to access so we did not use it, There was no place to hung our bathrobes. There was only one towel rack.
There was a huge wedding reception the next day. We were told that it was a popular place to hold big receptions.
Given the chance to go back to this city, I will chose another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TRAVELdglobenow
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Pristine hotel on the waterfront, very friendly front desk staff, clean rooms, comfortable beds, breakfast buffet with a variety of choices, walking distance to local market and delicious restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank BarbieMurphy
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed at The Strand Hotel for three nights in January 2013.
Our room was large , clean and bright and everything worked.
We found the laundry service very good.
The staff were always friendly and happy but communication could be difficult as no one we came across really spoke any English.
If one was not early for breakfast then on more than one occasion all the fresh fruit had gone and once even all the bread had finished. It was ok if you fancied noodles for breakfast.
We did not use the restaurant in the hotel but had drinks and meals in the Garden Restaurant
on a few occasions. We found the food good and very reasonably priced and the staff very helpful, though the service was slow, but then we were not in any hurry.
A petty criticism, in the foyer there are very large windows with vegetation on the outside.
All the windows were really dirty. They probably would have been difficult to keep clean, but it would have made such a difference if they were.
As other travelers have mentioned it seemed strange for the bedrooms to have a view over the back streets and the corridors to have a lovely view over the Salween River.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank happytraveller016
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This modern hotel is in a great location right on the water front. Internet only available in the lobby but it works! The chef knows how to prepare a great omelette for breakfast. Crucially the beds are lovely. unlike most beds in Myanmar this hotel has lovely soft and inviting mattresses.

A bit of a crazy design as all the rooms face out onto the back of teh hotel which is pretty naff and the corridors are at the front with lovely views over the water. The staff were welcoming and helpful but their English is very limited.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vegahoilc
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

I was told that this was the best hotel in town by a local lawyer I met on the train. I was pleased to see that the foyer and reception was modern and clean. I booked for one night. Very fortunate.

First, the electricals were not working in the entire room as I got in. The staff tried fiddling with ever power supply point but he was clueless. So I asked I I could change the room. He spoke to someone on the phone but went back to fiddling. I decided to go down and ask if I could get another room. There was no answer. Housekeeping staff turned up and fixed the problem after much time had passed.

Went into have a hot shower after long train journey and the water pipe burst. Literally had to run down again half wet (must have looked comical and crazy at the same time) and inform them. Housekeeping again had to come and fix the problem that took awhile. Next was the flush that was leaking water all over the bathroom. By then all I wanted was to have a shower, some food and hit the sack. Turned on the bedside table lamp that was not working. So they obviously don't check these things before checking someone in.

Was so knackered and hit the sack. Bed was comfy, large and I slept well.

But staff are not that friendly or helpful due to lack of knowledge. Breakfast was cold toast (Burmese trend ). I was quite happy to take an early checkout

Hotel looks great from outside but maintenance is really really terrible so just not a relaxing experience.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank ayeshasitara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawlamyine
Royal Hinthar Hotel
#2 of 19 in Mawlamyine
Hpa An Lodge
Hpa An Lodge
#1 of 9 in Hpa An

Been to Mawlamyaing Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!