“You get what you pay for”

Blue Rock Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Olongapo
Darwin, Australia
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

On advice from a friend I brought my family here for a few days. Not enough space for 2 small kids. We felt out of place here as the majority of guests were single old men looking for that which we weren't. I'm sure this is a fine spot for them. But not for a family. Food is good and drinks are cheap. The seagulls (local hawkers) never leave you alone unless you pay them something to nick off. We wanted to see the Philippines and we did visit various places. No need to come back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We did not have a good start to our stay here, first they gave us a room with a sea view overlooking a roof, and then made us wait three hours for an alternative room which was better and right on the beach. I have stayed in place for less money and far better. Our room could do with updating/ decorating and the door lock made more secure. The food in the restaurant was OK but thats about it. There is not much to do around Baloy Beach and i would not return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul1304

Travellers are raving about these Olongapo hotels

Sydbey
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

This place is the worst place I have ever been to.

My boyfriend and I have found ourselves in subic (we are waiting for a flight back to Thailand after realizing that the Philippines isn't for backpackers) and are counting the minutes to get outta here.

We are so fed of this seedy town (believe me when I say we have backpacked and this is the worst I have ever come across) and just wanted one meal out in a place that wasn't a Gogo bar or a strip club.

The website said "floating bar dive centre" with pictures of hippy looking western divers smiling, we thought we would give it a go.
As we were being pullied out there on a small raft we could
See this bar was In fact, just another Gogo bar and now we were stuck. To
Be polite we stayed for one, a young (maybe 16) year old Gil served us and over introduced herself as if she was "ours" for the night. Horrible.
As I downed our drinks the site of overweight, sagging, sad,loud westerners groping (I mean two over 60 men sandwiched and pretended to dry hump a young girl) girls made me feel sick.
I feel
Like we have entered a secret society and we forgot the memo.
We rushed back to the restaurant to find more oddly paired fake couples.
This was our treat night, a night out, what we got was a sad, aging restaurant with a 70s vibe (and I don't mean the disco era).
The food was absolutely disgusting (and I can eat anything!) the meat was burnt and tasted reheated and re-throw on a BBQ and the fries were dropped in oil that has probably not been changed. The whole Experience cost us
40 dollars!

I would strongly recommend (unless u are a Middle Aged man looking to feel great about yourself) don't go here.
I felt really uncomfortable and a little sad for my boyfriend and I, and very cheated.

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Pennycowtown
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Very pleased with our stay. On site 24 hour restaurant had a good live band and decent, reasonably priced food. Good internet access. Floating bar lots of fun. Rooms OK, not great, but fine if you are there primarily for diving. If you want to do wreck diving, for the price, the diving and accomodations were good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CountessP
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I booked a room with a large balcony which had a nice view of the bay and the floating bar which was the best part of the hotel, but the room was beat-up with old furniture and the noise from the 24 hour restaurant below was too noisy to sleep at 2a.m. with drunks yelling and after several calls to front desk they finally moved them to a different spot. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jeff a
Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 31 July 2013

last week Wednesday 24th upon check-out I discovered that USD150 had been removed from my room safe which is operated by code and or key. I dialed room service twice without the Manager responding as I was told he would by the helpful receptionist. after the 3rd call I found him smoking & chatting to a friend & I asked him to accompany me to the room where I explained my version. he introduced himself as either Marty or Martin & insisted that only a select few persons were able to access the safe via key & he would get back to me. 30 mins. later he approached me in the restaurant still unclear as to how the safe was accessed. I did not have the time to hang around for the police to get involved.he offered to refund me the money personally although this I see was then deducted from the hotel bill. he said he would investigate this serious breach & email me after he had investigated.upon leaving he was standing quite close to the reception area, did not request my email nor greet upon my departure.
I settled my bill & vowed personally never to return as the return of my money was secondary to the unprofessional attitude.
in addition the Monday prior, the beautiful Lady who always sings in the restaurant had throat problems & struggled along & the following evening the 2 male band members tried utmost but failed miserably to deliver even a karaoke standard of performance.
although the restaurant service was quick & friendly I found the food up the road @ SHEAVENS to be of a higher standard & equal pricing.

Room Tip: ROOM NO. 16 has a tiny but great dining / resting area + small front area to relax outside.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Tom Price, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed there in june 2011 for a week.i must say the steaks where great.i no the manager is from Brisbane so I think the steaks come from Australia..we injoyed swimming at the beach but the floating bar was getting renovated after a cyclone a few months before what was a pitty.so some of the staff where great and some didn't have any idea off service..im sorry to hear about the manager he seemed like a good bloke.we will be back some day soon..

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olongapo
Mangrove Resort Hotel
#3 of 18 in Olongapo
Cherry Midtown Hotel
Cherry Midtown Hotel
#8 of 18 in Olongapo

Been to Blue Rock Beach Resort? Share your experiences!