Johan's Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Whiterock Waterpark and Beach Hotel(Subic Bay Freeport Zone)
  • Breakfast included
Manana Hotel(Olongapo)
View Hotel
All reviewsdive masterplay poolclear waterfloating bardivingaccommodationnitroxbayexpatsbackpackers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2013

If you are a keen wreck diver or wish to learn to dive, then Johan's Dive and Beach Resort is the place in Subic Bay. Value for money with a high priority on diver safety. I did most of my dive courses at Johan's and found that they dont do things half hearted, but train divers to high standards ensuring that you become a safe and competent diver. Food is great and accommodation is reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I have stayed here twice in the past few years, and plan future visits. Amy, the manager will arrange everything from airport pick up, dive courses, visits to local attractions and even a special meal. I was craving Chilli Crab and with a days notice we sat down to a great meal of big, sweet chilli crab. The dive instructors are all very professional and take their jobs seriously, your safety is the primary concern. Rooms are clean if basic, the food is great, the staff are all super and the bar has the cheapest and most extensive beer menu in Subic. What more does a man need?
Gordon Adamson

Room Tip: go for the cheap rooms, you will only be in them for sleep.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

I booked a last minute flight to Clark airport and could neither confirm my airport to resort shuttle nor the booking for a room in time but when I arrived at the airport I called Johans and magically they got a driver from clark organised within 20 minutes (johans itself is about an hour and a half drive away). When I arrived I got a simple but clean room and they were also very flexible with how long I wanted to stay, I considered that great service!

The menu was overwhelming with all its international dishes and drinks for a very good price!

the diving itself is also very flexible and relaxed, no stress or rush at all! If you expect a paradise view and white beach though, you will be disappointed because its a really industrial area but if you're there to dive the wrecks you won't get disappointed :)

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My wife and I did our Open Water course in Australia a month ago and decided we wanted to do more diving, and we thought the Philippines might be a nice place to do it. Johan's showed up on the PADI website as a 5-star dive resort, and it looked reasonable on the website, so we decided to give it a try. Rooms were cheap, so we weren't expecting luxury. They were comfortable and clean, however. At any rate, we were there for the diving.

The food was a great surprise. The menu contained hundreds of items from around the world, including delicious Italian pastas, German schnitzels, Philippino dishes, Belgian-style frites, and American and English breakfasts. The quality of the meats and seafoods were quite good, and nearly everything I had was excellent (the exception was the pizza - the ingredients were good but they don't have the crust right). Mains were around $3-5 each, for very nice portions. Local beers were available for around a dollar; also on offer was a range of Belgian and other international brews.

Finally, the diving. My wife did her Advanced Open Water and her Enriched Air certification and I did the upgrade from Adventure Diver to Advanced Open Water. Paul Southgate was our instructor, and he was brilliant, as were the rest of the diving staff. My wife was a bit of an anxious diver, and he was very patient with her. He knew his stuff, knew the dive sites like the back of his hand, and adjusted to our schedule. The rest of the dive staff, including another instructor (also called Paul) and the two divemasters (Henry and Weng) were also incredibly helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I have no good reviews to write about this resort as my company and I found it very disappointing from the time we made booking until we left. First of, during booking the resort did not provide accurate information about their resorts in particular the hidden charges. The rooms were terrible, with what passes off as blanket is merely a thin piece of cloth and noisy aircon units. The rooms were not as clean as pictured and really small. Extra thick blankets incurred charge P150/night. The dives were a feeble save. The thing that upset us was no mentioned of extra charges for night dives on top of the charge mentioned in their website until we arrived and had our orientation. Some of the staff were zombies. Overall, will not come back here as it was not worth the price and all the extra charges incurred made it not a budget stay at all.
On a good note, some of the staffs were wonderful and made the stay bearable. Otherwise, the rest are a thumbs down.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends