“Family Stay”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in My Tho
Vung Tau, Vietnam
“Family Stay”
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Best hotel in My Tho of course. Naturally when one comes to this part of the Boondocks of Mekong Delta; one has to dumb down one's expectations. If one expects 1st World standard one naturally will be disappointed.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nga S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Average and Acceptable. Stayed one night in June 2013, we did not book in advance, just arrived at night looking for a room. Price was 500,000vnd ($24) for room with 2 twin beds on ground floor. Room and bedding were clean, A/C was good, bathroom clean but a little worn. Good hot water supply (at least at night). Didn't try the wifi. A basic breakfast was included. Breakfast was choice of a bowl of noodles or bread and fried egg and one drink. I would not recommend a room on the ground floor because the window opens up to the terrace running along the river. We were in late and out early so it didn't disturb us. Some light noise from boats on the river at night, didn't notice any karaoke noise.

Room Tip: not on ground floor
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sgn300
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 February 2013

So for our last night in My Tho, Vietnam, my wife and I decided to stroll along the river and find a place to eat outside. We ended up at the Chuong Duong hotel, where they have outside dining, which is great. My wife and I ordered three dishes to share.

You have to understand the scheme here. When you order a dish, it may come in three sizes, prices adjusted for small, medium, and large dish. If you have never seen a medium or large dish, you will not know if you are being served the right size for the price you paid. So my Vietnamese wife ordered the smallest size for all three dishes (smart move wife).

When the bill came, she notice that we had been charged a higher price for one of the dishes. There was no reasonable explanation since the server acknowledged we had ordered the smallest dishes.

The insult came when we paid the bill after it was adjusted and the hotel short-changed us 50,000d for a 130,000d bill! Again, the bill went back to the front desk where it was “adjusted appropriately”. Even in this small town, you need to keep your guard up.

If I ever come back to this town, I will never stay at the Chuong Duong or eat at either their inside or outside restaurants. These folks are out to rip you off! Avoid at all cost!

Richard

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Richard G

Travellers are raving about these My Tho hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed here as part of a tour of the Mekong Delta. We were already told that it was a 2star and very basic so we didn't mind all the things about it.

The room and bathroom was old but had a good aircon and a balcony looking over the water. The beds were hard which is fine with us as we prefer them. The bathroom was ok. Was old but had a separate shower compartment (which did overflow after each shower).
The wifi was free but unfortunately it wasn't very good, kept cutting out.
We slept fine as we were exhausted but light sleepers may find it hard as there were lots of families gathering at the restaurant underneath singing karaoke till late. In the morning you get a wake up from the boats starting up too!
There also isnt a safe in the room so we took our valuables and padlocked all our luggage.
Breakfast at the restaurant downstairs was good, had bread and noodle soup which was tasty.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sydney-meeks
Corona, California
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Stayed here twice in the month of October for a total of 2 weeks. Stayed in room 208 both times. Good size room with 2 twin beds,wifi,fridge and wonderful A/C. The wifi can be spotty at times but the value for the room is fantastic. Breakfast is included with the $22 a night price.Our room had a balcony facing the river also. Location is excellent. Many locals bring their families by the river so you really get the feel of small city Vietnam. Cafe Seo is close by for a coffee or a smoothie. The staff is very efficient and also friendly and always willing to help. I will stay here again!

Room Tip: second floor rooms on the west side has balconies.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ghorita
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 5 November 2012

On work-related trips to the Mekong Delta, I've stayed in Chuong Duong Hotel several times over the years. Somehow, our research partners would book us here. We just request a room on the right hand side of the second floor. That is to be away from the restaurant noise. The hotel is along the Tien Giang river, one of the two branches the Mekong river, which makes the view from the upstairs bedroom window and balcony quite scenic. The river is a major thoroughfare for both business and tourism.

The $24/night room rate is for a large room with a queen-size bed, split-type aircon, TV, refrigerator, an electric kettle, tea set, a small coffee table with two heavy wooden chairs, and an ensuite bathroom. The floor has wall-to-wall carpeting and a balcony. It also comes with breakfast and wifi. I must warn that the wifi can be on and off at times. If you must send an important email or visit an important website, you can bring your laptop to the reception counter near the main router.

For anyone going to Mytho, I would recommend this hotel any time. Despite its budget hotel rate, it is comfortable, clean, safe and has a good location.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor rooms to the right side or away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mme1030
Seattle
Reviewed 9 September 2012

The best two star hotel you can get! Fantastic staff! The staff here are so kind and patient, but also be patient with the staff because YOU ARE IN VIETNAM. The rooms are cool (considering every room has A/C), but the beds are stiff. Each room has up to two complimentary breakfast passes. The breakfast is delicious. Traditional vietnamese breakfast or just eggs if you prefer. This hotel has an INCREDIBLE location in My Tho. The hotel is located ON the Mekong River (the only hotel in My Tho that is on top of the water next to the park). And right next to the boat launches for tours. Also, this hotel has a coffee shop next to it as well (strawberry smoothies? YES!). Overall, this hotels only flaw is the stiff bed.

Room Tip: Stay on the main floor
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family