Nha San Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phu Quoc Island
Nha San Cottage
Ranked #93 of 188 Phu Quoc Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I have travelled the world and Mai Spa would have to be one of the worst places I have ever stayed. I arrived there with a group of my family members for a week but I had to move to another resort after the first night.
Their website promised a "retreat and healing centre" and it was nothing like this. I stayed in a beach front room which was dark and dirty. I could hear everything from the rooms above, and had light shining in from the rooms either side. There were cobwebs and most importantly, the electricity wasn't on for most of the time. When I told staff that I was leaving the next day, the electricity was quickly turned back on but it was too late for me.
There was no traditional chinese medicine diagnosis upon arrival. The spa was more of a "lucky dip", if you book in for a massage, you could end up with a facial. The staff don't speak much english so there is no point trying to explain.
Only breakfast is offered. There are no other meals available, and no bar on the beach. Even trying to get a glass to use was difficult and had to be returned straight away.

The price is expensive for what you get. My beachside room is usually $US100, although I did get it for $US50 when I told them I was moving. If it's not peak season I would recommend negotiating. I ended up moving to the Blue Lagoon a couple of doors up. The extra money was worth it - and it wasn't that much more. You get a pool, restaurant, tv, air-con all day!, clean/modern rooms, and it's on the main road.

Ehhh...I could complain all day...overgrown gardens, lazy staff......

Sunsets were amazing though :)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank Mummy_Maree

Reviewed 24 April 2010

We stayed in an ocean view room which was a lovely old building in a great location. However our holiday was a complete disappointment due to the staff and run-dwon facilities. Some of the issues:

* Poor electricity supply meant pply and backup generator aircon was often not working, and it gets really HOT
* The staff are lazy. They won't go out of their way for anything. Toiletries and water are not replaced without asking. Rooms are not cleaned properly with spiderwebs throughout. The gardens are overgrown with weeds and long grass.Gardener spend most of his day talking to massage girls. Half the garden lights had blown bulbs, and often they weren't turned on unless requested
* A lot of it is run down from lack of maintenance. Cracked tiles, appliances not working properly etc.

I would strongly recommend people avoid this place.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmiller980
Reviewed 10 March 2010

well, maybe we got a better rate on the internet because we booked early after finding out that during high season nice rooms on phu quoc are hard to find.
but all in all we have to say that the staff was really lovely, friendly and helpful, some things took a bit longer but it wasn't that we were in a hurry.
it is true that the beach house is not the most private place, we were lucky and during our stay most people staying there were really quite. and no matter what, if we ever go back to phu quoc, we will go back to mai spa too!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lucy-Munich
Reviewed 20 February 2010

We struggled to find a hotel at all on Phu Quoc and finally booked Mai Spa Cottage through Discovery Vietnam. Confusing with the name by the way; I understood it has changed to Mai Spa. The staff was friendly but sometimes a bit disorganized. The beach rooms looks nice but you hear everything the neighbours are doing; better to stay in the main building. Air con stopped all the time due to poor electric installations, it seemed. Lovely breakfasts in the garden compensated a lot and the Spa service is very good and not expensive. Avoid the beach restaurants; there are several very good and cheap up the road and on the main road. The village is a fairly long walk away but taxis are cheap.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank PerLStockholm
Reviewed 16 January 2010

We cannot disagree more with most of the reviews below. Mai Spa/Nha San was a real disappointment. We booked one of the sea view bungalows for USD105 per night - the most we had spent on a hotel during our 2 week stay in Vietnam. Upon arrival we didn't receive a particularly warm welcome and when we asked for a drink, all we got was a drink of water - no offer of anything else.

The wooden bungalow itself was poorly built. It offered no privacy due to the fact that we could here every single noise made by our neighbours above and next door. There was little chance of sleeping in as we could even hear people deodorising upstairs!!!
Apparently Mai Spa doesn't have a back-up generator, which most hotels in Phu Quoc have (and need). Therefore, for 2/3 of our stay, we were without A/C at night, which wasn't very pleasant. In addition, very little separated us from our neighbours whilst we were showering and visiting the toilet. The bathroom was outside and from the toilet we could see our neighbours drinking beer on the patio - there was no wall, but only a rattan blind!

We have stayed in a range of hotels during our holiday, including really basic hotels in the Mekong Delta. However, all of these hotels apart from Mai Spa cleaned the room/toilet and made the bed each day. On the first day with Mai Spa this didn't happen - we weren't even provided with extra toilet rolls. This was clearly an oversight on their part, but for USD105 you would really expect more!

The whole management was extremely disorganised. We booked a moped through Mai Spa, but the first one broke down twice, the second replacement got a flat tyre and it was only the third that we could use. For each moped we were left to negotiate price/payment with the moped owners - Mai Spa didn't help us out at all. We couldn't even book a massage without complications.

The lady who seemed to manage the place was very pleasant, and did discount our room as compensation. However, if the owner wants to charge these inflated prices, he needs to invest more of his own time in managing the place (I understand he has left PQ for Saigon). For the time being, the owner should be ashamed of himself for charging such inflated prices, and for creating a website that entirely misrepresents what the hotel actually looks like and delivers.

ps there isn't a restaurant as per some of the reviews below

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank karenlsanders
Reviewed 29 October 2009

It's too expensive and neither a Spa in an
international sense (they gave the titel themself)
nor a Resort, just some wooden house.
It's just a a rip-off !
1) There no bungalows, just wooden houses in highland style,
no Teak wood !
Just rooms, where you can here all neighbours noise and
speaking, even snoring. The garden is nice.
2) The owner Mr Jean-Claude, a professional therapeut isn't there, he is working in Thailand and leased his small cottage to a Vietnamese woman, who is
neither a doctor, nor a professional masseur, nor did she
study natural healing. Only Mr Jean Claude and his wife
an orthopedist in Saigon has all the skills for natural healing.
There are no TCM doctor (traditional chinese medicine) at
Mai Spa but only some semiskilled girls without any degree
and any reference.
It's big insolence and great swindle there.
3)They have no restaurant there only a kitchen where local
semiskilled woman (the same who do the Thai Massage)
are cooking distasteful and boring food like everywhere
on Phu Quoc. They uses cheap ingredients and a lot
monosodium glutamate.
They cannot cook special vegetarian dishes !
4) They don't like children !
The first place in Vietnam, where the boss didn't like children !
The boss is a woman !
We are very dissapointed to read all these adverts in the web for a place like that.
The atmosphere could be quite nice, if they would tell the truth. But for this price, no !
Please check this place !

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank berlinercharme
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I have to say how much I loved my stay at Mai Spa. Ms Oanh and Mr Y (ee) were most helpful and friendly. The place feels more like an ashram than a hotel. With the spas as well it was an experience that I will never forget

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo