“Perfect to stop and stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc

and 1 more site!
Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
“Perfect to stop and stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Extremely fine beautifully appointed beach hotel. Perfect for four or five days after the hectic Hanoi/Hoi An/Saigon travel which many of the clientele appeared to have done. Hard to fault rooms or the food. Pricey in vietnam but cheap in European or Caribbean terms .The con is a pro.. It is some away from the main drag, and you are captive to the hotels services. So relax..if you want to be visiting a new bar every night prepare for a hefty taxi bill. Complaints? The tonic water was terrible. Monsieur le Patron a gin and tonic is a serious drink! Please fix...

Stayed February 2014
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Joe H,

Monsieur le Patron heard you loud and clear but wishes to thank you first for your very nice Review of our property.
This is very kind of you.

Concerning the Gin and Tonic, though as a French I am not supposed to know any thing about it, I know how right you are.
I do apologize because I know what the problem is, we just found it recently.
So I promise that we are going to change the way we propose it and the way we serve it.
It will be applied to other “classics” in the Bar.
Not only we’ll improve it but you will be able to chose your Gin….

Thank you so much.
With my kindest regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Me and my other half stayed a week at this beautiful resort and we loved every single minute of it. The staff always smiles and they are very helpful. The grounds and well taken care off and the jacuzzi villa we stayed in was gorgeous. The food was great, full of flavour and freshness.
Since the resort is in the middle of nowhere I recommend renting a motor bike and explorinbg the island.I'd definitely go back.

3 Thank Deerbugs
Dear Deerbugs,

We are so happy when our Guests desire to return to the Chen Sea after their first experiencing.
We thank you so much for your kind Review.

My email is always posted on Trip Advisor, please contact me when you will return, as we are waiting for you.
With our kindest regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I stay 5 night early June in a sea side bungalow . What a lovely resort the food was excellent and it was the best breakfast we had on our three weeks in Vietnam. I don't see what people complain about with this resort. We had every meal at the resort and it was top quality. When people say it is expensive they have to remember they are on an Island . The staff are very friendly.

1 Thank Denneice C
Dear Denneice C,

Thank you so much for your positive Review and we are just plain glad that you enjoyed it so much.
What is important is that you represent the majority of our Guests, this we know it from all stats we work on.
Now why some Guests complain about us is not an easy question.
I think that the first reason is because it is their right. Then we must recognize that sometime we make mistakes, and that causes disappointment.
When a Reviewer posts that our food is excellent, I know that I’ll get one review saying that our Breakfast buffet is excellent but our food is bad.
Very difficult to understand.

What we are sure about, beside the unique features of the Chen Sea, is that if we work hard to fulfill our Guests, we’ll have less and less complains.
This is how it works and this is my job and my pleasure to aim to this elusive perfection.

With my renewed thanks and kindest regards,
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

A belated review, two years after the fact. But I’m compelled to write this after staying in bunch of other similarly-styled hotels throughout Southeast Asia. In short: This one is the best. Every detail perfect. The Beach Bungalows are everything you want in a resort room — slightly exotic, secluded, plush. And they open up to a clean beach with swings and free kayak rentals. I remember the food here being reliably delicious. And if you want, the staff will set you up with a motorbike to take around the island.

This resort is a bit remote, and you have to travel some pock-marked roads to get there. But I’d take that as a selling point. Phu Quoc will be a lot different 10 years from now. I hope the Chen doesn’t change, though.

Spent several days here in November 2012.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chicoharlan
Dear chicoharlan,

When seven months ago I received an extremely bad Review from someone extremely young, who hated me so much that I decided to answer rather than getting rid of his Review, I was asking myself if I should answer to belated reviews…
Upon reading your review, the answer is yes, I shall answer, smile…

I really thank you, but really a lot and I shall explain why.
When we started our program nearly three years ago, after one year, exactly when you came to experience the Chen Sea, we knew from our Repeaters that we were on the right track. Awards came after to confirm their comments.
November 2012 was the beginning of the High Season and early 2013, until recently, Guests started to compare us with some great names in term of Boutique Resorts. Respected and recognized names, all belonging to the 5 stars category, and this was another confirmation that we were progressing on the right path.
Since then I have been in many Resorts so to make up my mind and I realized that yes we are getting closer and closer from this level of Resorts, though we remain a 4 stars with a 4 stars pricing.
So somehow I am extremely happy and pleased to read your Review after you stayed in other known Resorts in the sub region.
Your Review represents a very special encouragement to what we are doing at the Chen Sea to make it a unique experience.

Our Guests are all Individuals, which are treated as Individuals, and we work hard to make the Chen Sea more and more unique.

You are right about how Phu Quoc will change, in fact in less than two years, there are many things that you would not recognize.
It is my great pride to inform you that Chen Sea will not change, but Chen Sea wont stop to improve, and I might stay even longer to work on this never ending improvement.
(I apologize to our guest who once wrote that she will come back the day I shall leave the Chen Sea. I am afraid that the Chen Sea wont have the pleasure of welcvoming you again for a while).

Dear Senior Reviewer, I thank you very sincerely, you made my day.
With my kindest regards,
Kapolei, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I just stayed at Chen Sea recently for our belated honeymoon. Upon arrival at the airport in Phu Quoc we took a 20 minuted drive to our hotel (GPS said 8 minuted but drive was much farther). Taxi should cost around 400.00 VND (four-Hundred-thousand dong or about $18 USD). I was a little worried as our taxi veered off the road down a unpaved rugged dirt path, only to reveal the hidden resort of Chen Sea. As we pulled up the staff greeted us with welcome drinks and checked us in to our beach front villa. The room was amazing with an even more amazing view of the beach. Felt like our private little beach. The weather however was not so amazing. Unfortunately we went during rainy season and half our time was spent inside the room sadly. Chen Sea is a great resort but most of the amenities take place outside so not much to do when it's raining. The food there is good but expensive look at paying American prices $15 and up for a meal and drinks are $7 and up. This resort is a big plus but only if the weather is good. If not I would skip the island in general as most activities are outside.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Giselle V
Dear Giselle V,

Thank you for your Review.

So if I understand you very well, the Chen Sea is great and amazing, but the island is not a good destination when it rains during the Monsoon.
So the 3 dots is because of the rain.
It would have been nicer to Review us as per who we are, and then talk to all readers in the blog about the risk of disappointment to come to Phu Quoc during the Monsoon.
As per the T&C of TripAdvisor, this is what the Reviews should be, talking about the facilities that you experience, not the weather.

I recognize that for a Honeymoon, and we welcome an average of 2 couples honeymooners per week even during the Monsoon, sun is better.
I am sorry for you that it ruined this important trip in your life.

Kind regards,
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My boyfriend and I (in our early/mid twenties) stayed here for 5 nights on a trip around Cambodia and Vietnam in May 2014.

pros:
immaculate hotel grounds
beautiful infinity pool
friendly staff- very helpful at reception
nice sandy, clean beach & sea
sunset @ happy hour is lovely
nice touches- chocolates on pillows/room replenished with 8 small bottles of water per day/ cool flannels & free water bottles by pool/ tasty complimentary canapes with happy hour

cons:
located a bit far from the town but if you are happy to get taxis into town then this won't be an issue
food at the hotel was below average- try mango bay the hotel next door the food is good and reasonably priced

what to do during your stay:
We hired a motorbike from the rental shop just 50 metres from the hotel for 10 US dollars per day and rode around the north of the island, it was great fun and would highly recommend this!
eat @ La Veranda hotel restaurant, the food was great and western restaurant quality, you will find that there are limited number of decent western standard restaurants on phu quoc
go to Rory's bar for drinks in the evening- it was open until about 1.30am which is probably the latest you will find any bar open until in Phu Quoc. It had a nice vibe and run by a couple of friendly Aussies

Overall we had a fantastic stay at Chen Sea and would not hesitate to return. thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joanne C
Dear Joanne C,

Thank you for your beautiful Review as we are so glad that you had a fantastic stay.
And as you say that it could be envisaged, should you return please get in touch with me.
I don’t have to post my addie anymore it is accessible now from TripAdvisor on our page.

I would be then very happy to talk about our food, and why you say that it is below average.
It is very difficult for a General Manager to have in the same week reviews saying that our food is excellent and then another Guest saying that it is below average.
Of course I shall not comment on your recommendations to our Readers of this Forum. I know both places that you mention of course.

We are just happy that you loved your stay and we renew our most sincere thanks for your Review.
Kind regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the jacuzzi villa for 3 nights. It is a great resort with wonderful rooms. The swimming pool is beautiful and the food is delicious. We also took two Vietnamese massage treatments which were very good and very relaxing.

Pricy but worth it!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hadar L
Dear Hadar L,

A bit late but It is my pleasure to thank you for your very positive Review.
In a very short one you managed to express your satisfaction on everything that makes the Chen Sea identity and experience.
And added thanks for your specific comment on our restaurant and spa, this is very comforting.

We are so pleased when our Guests are fulfilled, and so sad when our Guests are not, or not to the extent of their expectations.

With our renewed sincere thanks and kindest regards,