“A place with a soul.”

Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort
Ranked #21 of 108 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed 30 January 2014

There are loads of places on this island where you can eat decent food, drink cocktails, have a beachside bungalow with air con, hot shower and be in easy reach of other bars and restaurants.

Peter and Rita have tried to create something a little different.

Here are my highlights.

1. The evening meal - yes it's communal, meaning you may have to talk to other people....be friendly.....ask questions.......share a bit of your own personal history......not that a bad thing in my book. Food wise it's been said 100 times before but it is really good. I think it's important to state that if you are a true gourmand, who is used to fine dining then we are not quite in the realms of Heston and co., however it is consistently tasty, varied ( BBQ, classic Viet, local Pho Quoc, Hotpot) well presented and many a night I went to bed a little uncomfortable due to my inability to stop eating because it was so good. Most people commented it was the best they had eaten in Vietnam. I agree. The staff work hard to deliver a good level of service, and I would also mention the music - Rita quietly puts together an eclectic playlist every evening, and as someone who recognises the important and subtle part music can play, I was consistently impressed by her choices. In short we had some truly memorable nights.

2. The beach - let me let you into a secret, walking is good for you - especially when you eat the amounts we did every night, so the 10-15min walk was not an issue.
If you had a choice would you rather a) be on a beach with lots of other people or, b) practically nobody else. Yes of course the answer is "b" - and if the 2 or 3 other couples is too much then walk right up miles of empty beach. Some may struggle to cope with deck chairs rather than a lounger - but again if this is too much for you to cope with then head down to long beach with the masses.

3. Communal areas - now just because the word "communal" has been used twice in this review, does not mean that this is some kind of hippie retreat. It simply means the shared ares, of which there are loads.  Sofas, hammocks, tables, chairs.....enough for everyone to have their own space, and if being within 10 metres of another human being is too much - then the secluded bungalows have porches with your own hammock and sofa. The evening meal is the only time you sit together, the rest of the time most people keep themselves to themselves.

4. Peter and Rita - they continue to work hard for their guests in ways not everyone will appreciate. Their aim is not develop a 5 star resort that is generic and faceless. This world has too many of those already. They are trying to do something exactly the opposite. Here they have created somewhere with a soul and unique character, encouraging people to connect and communicate face to face over great food and drinks, rather than heads down on the iPhone/iPad. If that scares you too much no one will think any less of you.

5. The bungalows - depends what you are used to. If you've been travelling around staying in $5 places this will feel like The Ritz, if you are used to the high end places, then think of it as getting back to nature. Ours was great, simple with nice touches to give it a slight boutique feel. Each bungalow is different - again, nothing is generic here.

These were our best bits and we had 8 great night there and would definitely return.

Thank you Peter and Rita.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jake F

Reviewed 28 January 2014

What can I say, this place was incredible. It provides such a unique experience, and was unlike anywhere else me and my partner have stayed. We really regret only having 3 nights here. We stayed in a wooden bungalow with a lovely big bed, large outdoor bathroom and lovely porch with a comfy settee and hammock. We were surrounded by our own jungle garden with squirrels and butterflies, and there was a lot of privacy as the bungalows are placed quite far apart from one another. The reception, bar, and restaurant are are placed close together, also with a relaxing and peaceful reading area with lots of books and comfy chairs.

The place is so tranquil and quiet, with a 15 minute walk to the beach along a dirt track with cows and where the local friendly dogs will wait for you and walk you there! The beach is beautiful and clean, pure white sand and there was hardly anyone else there. We also organised a boat trip with Peter which was so much fun, and we got to snorkelling and see more of the island. Peter was an amazing host, so friendly and accomodating. My boyfriend doesn't eat seafood and he made sure that there were plently of other things for him to eat cooking separate meat dishes for him. While I'm on the food oh my god it was amazing. 6-7 courses of heaven every night with something for everyone. It was all freshly cooked that day with Peter and his amazing team of cooks. My partner was a little apprehensive before we went about 'communal meals' but he changed his mind immediately. We met some lovely people from all over the world, and the atmosphere was wonderful sat under fairy lights, listening to music and eating great food with great people. I also want to credit the waiting staff who served our meals because they were very friendly and did a great job.

This may be obvious, but please don't go if you are afraid of bugs, and are used to chain resorts. This is such a unique place with lots of character, and being in a quiet remote place with open air bathrooms there will spiders and weird flying bugs and there is no hot water. But if you can put up with that you really should stay here, it is a really special place.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emsb_21
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We travelled all over Vietnam and finished it off in Freedomland, and what a perfect end to our fab holiday! The bungalows are very clean and comfy, and the bathroom which is outside is amazing.

I was curious what the food would be like at dinner, because we had eaten at such lovely restaurants already. However, I was not disappointed, as the food was absolutely delicious!

Peter and Rita were both lovely too, and made us feel very welcome. If I'm ever back in Phu Quoc I will definitely stay at Freedomland.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We'd been recommended Freedomland by a couple of friends so thought we'd give it a go. At first I was put off from booking as it's not directly on the beach. Don't let this stop you though. The beach is a very pleasant 15 minute walk down dirt tracks through the jungle, and don't worry if you don't know the way, one of the Freedomland dogs will guide you there! Upon arrival we were 'wowed' we literally had the whole beach to ourselves, throughout the day other Freedomland guests arrived but the beach was more or less ours.If you want to buy drinks or food, you can order on the beach and charge to your room. Your lunch is then bought via scooter about half an hour later, and a table and chairs all layed out for you. The lunch was delicious. Much like all the food we ate at Freedomland. I can honestly say that in 3 weeks of travelling around Vietnam the food Peter and his team prepared in the evening was definitely the best we had in Vietnam and possibly some of the tastiest food we've ever eaten. The communal style eating is also a great way of meeting all the other guests at Freedomland. Peter does offer the option of private dining on the terrace of your bungalow but we preffered to sit around the gorgeous fairy light lit long table and chat with other guests from all over the globe. Meals times are a real banquet, the food just keeps coming and coming, you will not ever go hungry.
Rita's bar also offers a fab selection of cocktails to wash the food down with.
This type of stay may not be everyones cup of tea, yes you're in the jungle, yes there's no hot water, yes there's tons of mozzies. But if you're after true unspoilt relaxation than Freedomland is the place for you, If you're after built up rammed beaches with mediocre food then probably head to Long Beach. I'm so glad we found this little gem, I can't rate it enough. Book early to avoid disappointment. We could only get 3 nights :-(

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This place was a perfect ending of our 3 wk holiday in Vietnam and Cambodia! Just wish we could stay longer. MUCH LONGER! We were there for 5 days in December (28- Jan 1) with our kids 9 and 12, and stayed in bungalow 15, with two double-beds, which we loved! All is new, clean, crispy white sheets, lovely hammock and sofa on the deck. I thought the cold water would be a problem, but it actually felt refreshing! The outside bathrooms are such great idea! The food, oh la-la, we can only dream now, it was amazing! The beach, 10 mins walk on mostly shaded path, belonged only to us and a few fellow travelers from Freedomland! We loved it, it was clean (apparently it depends of the time of the year), warm tranquil blue water, and we enjoyed having lunch brought by order. Very nice touch! We also had massages a few times, there is a small hut just built up for massage, so cute, and massage was professional and very good! Peter and Rita are wonderful hosts, it was such a pleasure meeting them and chating with them, and I hope Phu Quoc won't change much in a looong time, as we hope to visit Freedomland more frequently. Well done, and many thanks!

Room Tip: I think all bungalows are nice!