“Relaxing beach front location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mai Spa & Resort

Mai Spa & Resort
london
“Relaxing beach front location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I would echo previous reviews and recommend a beach front room, it's lovely to walk from your room right to the beach! worth paying the extra. It is a good location for all restaurants and bars. Room and bathroom very large, lacking is a mirror in the bedroom so impossible to dry and style your hair ladies! The massages and other treatments are very good and reasonably priced. Breakfast is OK food at the beachfront restaurant is hit and miss. The only negative thing and we may have been unfortunate and not Mai Spa's fault, is the amount of rubbish washed up when the tide comes in making it impossible to swim, unluckily when we were there, there was an invasion of jelly fish! Not a lot to do on Phu Quoc Island apart from relaxing so a good place to chill out after travelling around.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Vietnamese first
Salzburg, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I did not stay there, however went for a massage. You pay 390.000 VND for 60 minutes and get an additional 30 minutes for free. Had a Vietnamese massage and than Relfexology.
The atmosphere of the spa was really nicely decorated, mostly bamboo. The massage was outstanding, and I really mean it! Staff is very friendly and understands customer care.
You can be lucky and get a free slot at once, but better book a day in advance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kisdfjker
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Just left Mai Spa after a last minute stay for three nights. Hotel is great, right on the beach, best beach frontage on the whole of long beach. Free foot massage when we arrived. Food at the beach bar was excellent though service was sometimes slow. Rooms were immaculate and very minimal.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lauren25c
Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

we stayed in mai spa for almost a week.. very relaxing place.. room and bathroom was huge and very comfortable.. stuff went out of their ways to make sure that we had everything we needed - got us couple extra pillows, set us up with maps, motorbike (which was cheaper than in town), food was served very quickly and rooms were spotlessly cleaned every day.. hotel itself is a little far from the town (maybe 5-10min on the motorbike), but there is a lot of very good restaurants just outside the hotel and downtown is nothing special anyways.. the beach was fairly small and at the time there was construction of some sort of building going on there, so we didn't spend a lot of time there (plus weather was a little stormy, so swimming was not pleasant to begin with).. the island itself is frankly quite uneventful.. we rode north and south in a matter of couple hours and didn't find any places of interest worth mentioning.. but if you are looking for a relaxing holiday with not much activity and chose to come to Phu Quoc, Mai Spa is excellent option to stay on the island..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Natasha B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I decided to end my three weeks of backpacking around Vietnam at Mai Spa, I am so glad I did! The staff are just lovely and were very helpful. I was there as a treat to myself on my 40th birthday and the staff made such an effort to make my day special. Coming from a place (London) where most people in the service industry don't do anything unless it is for money it was very heartwarming to be around people who are genuinely hospitable, warm and friendly.

As soon as I got there and saw the fantastic location I upgraded to a room on the beach, it was 100% worth the extra money.

Compared to the mainland the rooms are more expensive but that is Phu Quoc, and most places are the same. My room was clean, relatively modern and the bed was fantastic both aesthetically and comfort wise with a very good mosquito net.

I would also recommend the Vietnamese massage, it was one of the best massages I have ever had.

The only issue I had was that the wifi in my room was a bit temperamental but it was fixed relatively quickly each time it stopped working.

I had a lovely time here :o)

Room Tip: Choose a beach room, you will regret it if you don't!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is a lovely place in a great location, hence why we are booked to go back in January.

The private beach is great and the food is really nice (recommend the spring rolls!!). Staff were very friendly and helpful and we were able to organise some good value excursions and also scooter hire through them, for which we weren't ripped off when it got a puncture.

Our room was basic but clean and tidy with much needed AC and two comfortable double beds, with an unusual outdoor (but covered) bathroom.

I do agree with the other reviews that the basic rooms don't reflect the price, but looking at the other prices along Long Beach, that is the going rate and the premium you pay for being in a good location on a lovely island.

The only issue we had was that our garden view room was near the staff lodgings and so we were awoken each morning at around 7am by voices behind our room, we've avoided the issue this time by going for a sea view room. In fairness to Mai Spa we never brought this issue up with them.

Room Tip: Go for an ocean view room to ensure you can sleep in.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
UK/Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for six nights in a beach bungalow. Bungalow is a misnomer as the bungalows are actually semi-detached which meant we got to listen to the people next door have very loud but seemingly satisfying sex one morning. I'd not like to stay during the high season but as there were very few guests while we were there it was generally relaxing.
There are no safes in the rooms, only plywood boxes in reception to keep valuables which isn't made clear in the room description. Staff was friendly but lacking in English which made communicating anything beyond basic needs impossible.
Room cleaning was adequate but our pillow cases weren't replaced until I specifically requested it and the room windows were practically opaque with salt spray. I cleaned them myself.
I'd recommend looking at other places in the area before choosing Mai Spa. I'm sure you can get better for the same price.

• Stayed July 2013