“Felt Insecure, uncomfortable , lack of English”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Mai Spa & Resort

Mai Spa & Resort
Sydney, Australia
“Felt Insecure, uncomfortable , lack of English”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Travelled in May Booked for 6 nights & stayed 1...even then that was 1 night too many. No secuirty box, trashy accom, uncomfortable chairs on balcony & also in room, bed was hard as.Bathroom shower was broken, no sink in basin plug. English was a major barrier. Stairs down to beach are iffy. Poor lighting to get back to room after meal . No breakfast buffet as advertised & couldnt explain what was available on the menu. What you see on advertised pictures etc make it all look so tempting but it isnt what you get. Honestly - dont waste your $$ & do yourselves a favour - look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 4ofusDREAM

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Vietnamese first
brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here 2 nights of the 5 nights we had on Phu Quoc Island. Only wished we had booked there for the whole time. Breakfast was beautiful down on the beach, freshly squeezed juice of many varieties, with lots of choices to have in the way of eggs, omelette, fruit etc etc. the room was very clean and we were upgraded to a sea view bungalow, which was lovely. Staff very helpful. If you are wanting a hustle bustle kind of place this is not where you want to be, but if you want time just relaxing on the beach, reading books and lying in the sun with local restaurants and bars not too far away, then this place is for you.

Room Tip: We had air conditioning, which I would highly recommend for the hotter months
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BevandPete
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We spent at Mai Spa 3 nights after left the hostel due to lack of AC.
The lady at the reception welcomed my friend and I with a glass of cold tea and fresh, lemon grass scented wet towel.
Below is a summary of our stay (we paid 1mill per night per two people)

Positive:
simple room, cleaned every day, breakfast inclusive AC, TV, mosquito net, daily clean towels for personal use and for beach. 2 minutes walk from the beach. Very close distance from other restaurants on the beach like the amazing Rory's bar. The food at the restaurant is good and ok priced. Options are limited though.

Negative (these issues did not make our stay less pleasant but for the sake of transparency....):
The AC went off at around 12pm while we were still staying in the room. Maybe it is an electricity cut but if you plan to stay in for long, staff might need to be notified. Beach lounges are wooden with no mattresses so they can be painful after a while. They have very limited breakfast options and 2 out of 3 times I got something different than what I ordered. Plus some days they would offer some croissants, some days the would not (items were available, but the staff was a bit sloppy and spoke almost zero English).

Overall, we were really happy with our stay and would recommend this place

Room Tip: Some construction was going on in May 2014 near the beach so perhaps choose the rooms closer t the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nomade1111
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at Mai Spa with a friend over a weekend. It was almost deserted which was great for us. Only about 3 or 4 other rooms occupied. We had a sea view bungalow which was basic but spacious with a big bathroom. Breakfast was included and on the beach. There was no menu, so basically it was a case of order what you see or what you can think of. We got everything we wanted, including fresh fruit. Staff were friendly. TV was there but did not work, wifi was good. However, Mai Spa was the only hotel in Vietnam during my 2 years here where it was not possible to arrange airport pickup as they simply ignored all emails.They do provide beach towels but they are not very nice.
Mai Spa is not far from Duong Dong. This stretch of beach and water is quite clean.

Room Tip: try and get a seaview bungalow.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1holidaygirl15_
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this resort for the last 4 days of a three week trip, north to south through Vietnam. It was unplanned as we had been diverted from Hoi An due to flooding and tropical storms. We had no idea where we were going to stay, but luckily hit the jackpot. Phu Quoc is generally a lovely island. Mai Spa was perfect. Not too big and westernised, but with all the luxuries you could want. It helped that we got an amazing deal online at such late notice.
The resort backs onto the beach and having walked up and down the beach on 2 different days - I believe it is the best section of Long Beach. It's quiet all day and in the evening the sunset has to be seen to be believed. There are more lively spots along the beach if you're after that.
I did have a manicure and pedicure there. The pamper was lovely, but could have been better quality finish. My friend and I also had a massage (free) on our first night and it was perfect. The food from the beach bar was as good as anything we had in the rest of the country. Having said that don't miss the market which is a short walk up the road. Fab atmosphere and food, but it is difficult to leave Mai Spa and it's slice of the paradise that is Long Beach.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katy B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at mai spa resort from the 20 to 23 of May. I had all the previous reviews about this resort and they pretty much sum it up. It's an average motel. It's definitely not a resort.
The rooms are quite ordinary but the only thing they have going for them is the air con. I wish the staff spoke a little bit more english and showed genuine interest in their guests.
The worst thing about this motel was its kitchen. It's such a good location but the Staff responsible for it do not seem to care. We had a couple of meals there and they weren't that bad but the presentation was nil. If they arranged chairs and tables properly and had nice cutlery etc it would be so much better.
This motel did upgrade our room due to the construction next door but that didn't really bother us. They even gave us a free foot massage which was quite nice.
The location is perfect and really good views from the beach front room.
If we return, hopefully the kitchen is better.

Regards
Ronnie

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ranjit s
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I visited Mai Spa & Resort in March 2014. Total five nights.

I paid the bill with my credit card and everything seemed to be ok, until two months later I got an identical charge on my credit card. Luckily I paid attention to my credit card bill.

I tried to contact the hotel, but didn't got any reply. Instead I reported a suspected fraud to my credit card company.

Feels stupid, because I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple