“Good but could be really better... in all the ways...”
Review of Bo Resort

and 1 more site!
Bo Resort
Nice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
“Good but could be really better... in all the ways...”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Hi Everybody... I would like to share my experience with Bo Resort Hotel.
I am trying to get some positives and some negatives thought about it, unfortunately i have more negative.
I will start by positive anyway:
- beautiful place, beautiful beaches, good part of nature, good food but...
- Regis and Marine are very nice.
- boat trip in the island was very good.

Negative points :
- Good food but not enough quantity
- High (average) prices for the room without any special services.
- We spent 5 days, not once sheets or towels has been change
- crew too stress and too fast. Soon you finish your plate already gone
- crew are running to get the ordered dishes, it is stressing out...
- everything is bill. I asked extra butter for breakfast (very small portion) and it has been billed
- for the romantics. On the table they could use something else then half bad cut plastic bottle to keep candle away from the wind.
- no bottles of water in the room.
- no decorations or special stuffs to make the place different
- i did massage once, but not twice. She was very nice but not very good.

To conclude, it could be one of the most beautiful place on this island if owner is making few arrangements.
I will recommend it again when those changes will be made.

Boris and Sam.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boris1331
RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Bonjour Boris1331,

I don’t like your review. I don’t like this “friendly and fair” style, where you say “Good” but give us generously a 2/5 rating. Everybody has a right to complain, but… (As you would say :)

First this: “Hi everybody!”, as if the all world was waiting for it. Then your positive “Vaseline-like” remark: “Regis and Marie are very nice”. I am wondering what kind of review you would have written if we were not! And then the end: “I will recommend it again when those changes will be made”. Well, please don’t! You obviously don’t know how to recommend a place… :)

I wanted to reply to every remark, but this review does not deserve it. I do when it is a really constructive. Actually, I should not even answer…

You say: ”crew too stress and too fast. Soon you finish your plate already gone”, then “crew are running to get the ordered dishes, it is stressing out...”
- Are you unable to relieve your stress? You write the same critic twice! If you traveled in Vietnam, you should know that here good service is fast service, a little bit like in the States… I always ask our staff to slow down, but…
You also say: “Massage not good”
–They are good to relieve your stress, Boris! Maybe you should have tried twice, maybe you should have tried twice… sorry, I had to do it, I cannot help it!

You had constantly access to me and Marie and you say we are very nice. By the way, where else do you have access to the owners of a resort? They usually shelter behind their staff or Manager. Why didn’t you express your feelings to us?, even in a tactful way, instead of delivering this masterpiece kind of pathetic review...
Merci encore.
Regis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 13 March 2013

After a frustrating 2 nights at My Lan, we moved to Bo Resort for two nights. I was nervous about staying here after I read some of the negative reviews, but this place beat every expectation I had. First, the setting is just amazing. The beach is gorgeous and uninhabited by tourists - unless you count some random cows who drink the water in the morning - and there is much less trash here than on the other beaches. Really, really incredible. We stayed in one of the bungalows that faced out into the water and it felt like paradise. The bungalow is open to the wilderness, so if you are bothered by insects and such (we had a bat in the bungalow one night), this is not the place for you. But if you like hearing the ocean as you sleep and waking up to have an undisturbed view, this is definitely the place to be. The service was the best we had on the island. The staff was attentive and helpful, and just very sweet. The manager is French, but speaks perfect English and helped us arrange an awesome day motorbiking around the island. Finally, the food was great - delicious breakfast, huge selection for dinner, and happy hour. Thank you Bo Resort for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LisaBobbi
RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear LisaBobbi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your satisfaction. We work hard to get those good comments. This is our reward :)
Your review is interesting also, because you give our readers another point of view. You were coming from a place which is located on “Star Beach”, “Bai Sao” in Vietnamese, supposedly one of the nicest spot on the island. It is not like some reviewers who talk about “the neighboring resorts” without having experienced them. Obviously visiting a site and staying there is a completely different experience.
Thank you again. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2013

The resort is absolutely beautiful - set on a hillside next to one of the loveliest beaches in vietnam - it's a place to completely relax and get away from it all. You can lie in a hammock on the quiet, unspoilt beach, looking out to sea, watching the sun set with a tasty, cold beer... wish I was there right now!

It's quite far away from anything else on the island, so it's good news that the food at Bo's restaurant is absolutely delicious. In case you get bored relaxing on the beach you can borrow one of the kayaks or the (fairly ancient) snorkelling equipment and go for an adventure in the lovely warm sea. They can also arrange motorbike hire, if you want to zoom around the island, or book you a taxi to go into town, which is a 30-minute ish drive. They also organised massages for me and my partner in a little massage hut next to the sea - you can hear the noise of the waves as you have your massage - so lovely.

Accommodation-wise, the huts look absolutely beautiful - there's definitely a french colonial influence to the design and they were one of the most stylish place we stayed. Solar showers worked well for us, and we liked the other eco-friendly touches.

Considering that the accommodation is quite expensive by local standards, I would have hoped for a little bit more customer care... I would have liked to get some complimentary drinking water in the room every day - there's no mini-bar and actually there's nowhere nearby to buy water once the resort's bar is closed (which can often be as early as 10pm). It would have been nice to have the bedsheets changed - we were there for a week in our room with no air conditioning, with just one set of sheets. Hard mattresses are the norm in Vietnam, but the one we slept on at Bo was by far the most uncomfortable, it was like a plank with a bit of straw on top. Ouch.

The biggest factor in deciding whether to book Bo is whether you can tolerate the creatures of the jungle! The huts are quite open in construction, with big gaps between wooden struts etc, so there are a lot of invaders! When we arrived, we thought this was pretty cool - we christened our new pet mantis who lived on the top of our bed and thought it would be fun to rough it in the jungle. However, we got worn down by this pretty quickly - even my un-scarable boyfriend slept badly because of the fear (and maybe the mattress). Mosquito nets are provided, but there were so many BIG bitey bugs, spiders, lizards and things by the end of it, we were scared to get out of bed!

Towards the end of our stay there was a huge rain storm in the night, which drove a million creatures into the hut - we lay there in the dark (no bedside lamp) listening to creatures buzz around and chirrup, hearing little thumps as larger creatures dropped off the roof onto the floor, feeling the mosquito net vibrate when things walked on it! After laying awake on the uncomfortable mattress all night, we decided to cut short our stay and flew back to HCMC a couple of days early so we could get a good nights sleep!

During the daytime, you couldn't ask for a more wonderful place to stay than BO, but only book to stay there if you are a brave person, up for roughing it in the jungle at night and you don't mind creepy crawlies!

RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your constructive remarks. Those led us to investigate and find out that there was a nest bugs below the bungalow where you were. We are sorry that this happened to you and are pleased to see that you evaluated also all the positive sides.

Your remarks about the bottles of water and the opening hours of the bar are absolutely true. For the bar, our policy was to close with the last customer, so if you needed a little bit later, you could not find what you wanted. We might have to change that...
Also, regarding the mattress, it is kind of a debate here: some people, like me, prefer bedding a little bit firm to support the spine better. Some think it is too hard. We are thinking of a solution like adding an extra soft mattress on guest demand…

Considering the fact that you have been so nice here, that you have appreciated the place so much and that you have said it, (despite the inconveniences you mentioned), we would be pleased, if you come back, to grant you a discount on your accommodation bill.

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We checked in today and had booked this hotel as sth. better for Vietnam. 110USD... After 1 month Vietnam we know low budget and simple hotels. This is so outrageasly overpriced and made to look nicer on the net, I've rarely seen a deception like this.
It's max 30USD worth, open unsafe houses, shabby bathrooms, open roofs, unfriendly staff.
We tried to cancel, they lied to us that they would help and did nothing.
The booking agency called them and they could have just said yes to cancel but they evaded and lied.
Just a rip off.

Pictures will follow.

Regards
Martin

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank de_maddin_
RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear Martin,
Regis here (proud) owner of BO Resort.
I just got back from Europe where I attended my father's funerals (…thank you). This is to say that i had a valid reason not to be here.

Now i am looking at your case. My first feeling when i encounter someone angry like you (which is not very often fortunately), is to apply the saying: "The customer is always right". So, i was getting ready to give instructions for a refund, but now i see your review, where you pretty much trash us on the Internet, and i think you disqualify for a refund.

Also, i just learned (and you "forgot" to mention this), that you left early in the morning without paying your bills, like a th..f ( i am not authorized to write the word here, although you are allowed to say that we ripped you off). You caught our receptionist by surprise, saying that you needed your passports and you left surreptitiously. Did you mention this somewhere? We had to report you to the Police. Do not worry, it’s no big deal for you, except at the border if you try to come back to Vietnam…
So you definitively do not qualify for a refund.

Martin, we don't "rip-off" anybody: everything we do or claim is public, including our cancelation policy and your nasty remarks. When you book with a booking website, you should know where you are going to land. What if you came here and we would have said that we did not have a room for you? This is high season here and people have been waiting for your room.

You said that we deceive people with nice pictures. But if you look here, on TripAdvisor, you can see 59 pictures provided by travelers. Are we those travelers? Are you preparing some Photoshop pictures?

You are obviously not able to appreciate, unlike hundreds of our guests, the quiet place where we are, the gardens, the space between the bungalows, the beautiful sea, the lonely beach and the good food we have here. As you are in the small number of people in that case, and in order not to keep you angry, we would give you a refund, just so that you leave us alone in peace in our Paradise.
But the way you have behaved has led me to think that you do not deserve it. Sorry…
Paris, France
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Bo resort has a good location, and prices are reasonnable compare to other resorts on phu quoc island.
But the resort is a bit old, bed are a bit old (not so confortable) the room are simple, you car hear the noise of cows and other animals and insect during the night.
The food is good but not enough quantity.
The good thing is that you can rent motobike to go and discover other places, other restaurants and nice beaches on the island.
I recommend the coco bar to have a drink, located on duong dong ( major town in phu quoc)

RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Merci pour vos remarques,
Even if it is not always what you want to read… :)

The Resort is 9 year old, so not so old, but Nature is very powerful here and it is a constant maintenance work to keep it in good shape and clean.
Regarding the noises during the night, most of people think it is not a big deal. Some, like you, would need an ‘adaptation’ time, usually one night is enough. A lot of people have traveled 2 or 3 weeks over Vietnam and sleep well after the sometimes noisy (to say the least) Vietnamese environment.

Thank you again, I had family affairs in Europe, but if one day you come back to Phu Quoc, please come see us. We will have a drink together and I will order more food for you.
Jongny
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed 5 nights to relax at the end of our trip through Vietnam.
This is probably one of the nicest place of Phu Qoc, away from the crowded places and with a beautiful beach and shallow water.
The location is perfect for visiting the North of the island and its desert beaches.
Also the food served at the beach restaurant is delicious and fairly-priced; their Thai Hot Pot is simply the best I had during our 1-month trip in Vietnam !

All would have been fine if we had paid no more than 50$ the bungalow…
But at USD. 98$ the beach front bungalow (the newest and more expensive 2-pax bungalow), there were many things that were just not acceptable, among which:
- basic furniture, no bedside table or lamp, noisy stand fan that stopped regularly until I fixed the plug, regular shower outflow blockage, etc.
- no warm water
- no water at all one day, without any information or apologize from the management
- no complimentary drinkable water or airport transfer unlike most neighboring resorts
- breakfast is insufficient and we had to pay extras every days
- bed sheets were not clean and smelling bad, hopefully they have been changed on request (but then I’ve been bitten by fleas or bed bugs)
- there were plastic garbage all around our bungalow…
and old beers and cups and cigarette butts around the beach deckchairs in the morning…
that’s a pity they do not better take care of this beautiful piece of paradise !
…it would not be a big deal to hire some staff to clean all these plastic garbage.
- and the worse of all for us has been when they sprayed pesticides all over our bungalow during our stay despite my disagreement;
I don’t accept to be imposed chemicals and pesticides when we normally use only natural insect repellent…
When we came back to the bungalow there were several big insects dying on our clothes and in our toilet bag !
This is just inadmissible and we will never return to BO Resort again, especially since we have compared with the neighboring resorts !

RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
What a disappointment for us too!
You had been sent by some guests who came here several times and became friends with us.

We will answer to your remarks in the most possible honest manner. Your friends might be chocked though when they see your review, maybe they will think it would have been more appropriate to talk to us and ask us for a change of room…

First, thank you for your positive remarks.
We put you in our newest bungalow, which is right on the beach, 10 meters away from the sea. For beach lovers…

OK, sorry about the fan, it should have been fixed before. No warm water? Yes, 3 bungalows out of 18 don’t have. The one by the sea, where you were, still does not have. But the sea water is at 28-30c, the water comes out of the shower at some 22-24c, so most of our guests don’t mind. When it is so important for our guests, we give them another room, but it rarely happens, for the reason explained here-above…

Regarding the water shortage, it happens, very rarely. We should have warned you, sorry. Bed sheets were not clean at your standard? You can always talk and/or pile them on the bed to show you want a change.
About the plastic bags and also wastes left by some guests on the beach, our gardeners clean everyday around 7am, so, as you were on the beach, it might happen that you see those wastes before they do.
Now you mentioned the spraying. I can agree with that. But on the beach, you have some ponds of water which attract the mosquitos. Once in a while, a company from Saigon is coming and sprays at all the humid points. This company is operating for ALL the hotels in Phu Quoc, including “the neighboring resorts” that you seem to know so well. Without that, you would have probably been the first one to complain about the mosquitos :) But I agree that they should have asked you first if we could do it…

OK, I understand that you have been disappointed with your experience at BO, but I think that, unless all the rooms were occupied, we could have accommodated you in another room, more suitable to your needs.
I am sorry you have decided not to come back here. If you change your mind though, I will personally make sure that you will leave satisfied, like the friends who had sent you here.

Best regards
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Don't go here if you're looking for action and fun. There are only a few places to stay on Ong Lang beach, so you will probably be locked to the place you stay. But after a couple of day's biking the Mekong delta some rest was welcoming. And we didn't regret our choice for Bo Resort. The restaurant and bar are on the beach and the food and drinks are great. The bungalows are nice, clean and the beds are good. The bungalows are all up the hill in the forrest so in the night you can enjoy the forrest sounds. Don't always expect hot water since it's solar powered.
The service can be a little tighter, but that's just an advice to the staff.
Since it's secluded they charge higher prices (for bungalow and food). In my opinion too high, but we knew that before we booked.

1 Thank Rolandinho2010
RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear Rolandinho,

Thank you for the nice comments. We obviously like when our work and dedication are recognized. About the prices a little higher (maybe), we go every day to the market to buy fresh, as we don’t have freezers. Being farther from the town induces more transport and storage costs. If a restaurant misses an item in town, no big deal, they can go and buy it in a wink, not us and we need to plan more and store more…

Thank you again.