“Fantastic Tour and Guide”

Wind Horse Ranch & Riding Club
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Bumthang
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Wind Horse Ranch and Riding club is a project rather a vision, seen collectively by Wind Horse Members. After meticulous planning into smallest details, this vision finally translated into reality in 2010. We started modestly with 3 horses, and grown into 7 horses for now and plans to make it to 15 horses by the end of 2013.It is located in scenic Tang Valley, Bumthang, Bhutan. The Farm land is being leased from Tang community. We have explored and carried out few trial runs. We have cleared some of the old trails, which were covered by overgrowth vegetation, due to minimal uses of the route. Our objectives are to provide enjoyable horse ride trek along scenic trails and villages both for tourists, as well as horse enthusiasts of Bhutan. We also hope to promote riding club membership as a fund raiser for good causes to the Bhutanese, and provide riding camps among the students and institutes in Bhutan. In doing, we hope that it will benefit local community by bringing more tourists, who would stay in the local farm houses and guest houses, use local food and services etc.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I've recently visited Bhutan and didn't know what to expect from the tour as they have managed and arranged every single detail of the tour. They are a local travel company so they know better.
Very flexible with activities and open to suggestions.Ddruk Hotel was amazing and big thanks for our guide Kinley Tensin. He is very knowledgeable of the culture and his English is great. Thanks again guys for a trip of a lifetime!

windhorse1998, Manager at Wind Horse Ranch & Riding Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guests
Than you for your review. It means a lot to us.
We are delighted to note that you had great time with us.
And also we could meet your requirement and expectation.
We can't thank enough to Kinley Tenzin- the guide - for his contribution at the out come of the
trip.
Best wishes

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Windhorse did a fantastic job organizing a 6 day tour in Bhutan for our family of 5. Our guide Sacha was excellent - he was thoughtful and considerate and exceptionally knowledable. He was also wonderful with our children. From the airport pickup to each hotel checkin and visit to a temple or site, the trip was as smooth as silk. The hotels and activities recommended were perfect.

In particular, our children loved riding the horses up to the Eagle's Nest temple, and really enjoyed the festivals in Paro at the end of our stay. They were slightly less keen on some of the hiking, as expected with young children.

Our family would highly recommend Windhorse Tours for anyone travelling to Bhutan.

windhorse1998, Manager at Wind Horse Ranch & Riding Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Guests
Thank you for the review on Trip Advisor. It means a lot to us.
We are happy to note the way your trip panned out, resulting in enjoyment of the trip as a whole.
Feed back of these kind, actually inspire and motivate us to work more harder.
Honestly speaking, for any trip to be an ordinary or extraordinary, its generally depends on the guide.Guide plays instrumental role at the outcome of trip. In your case, Sacha has been remarkable.His experiences, in-depth Knowledge and good nature stood in good stead in term of instant gelling with the kids.
Sacha is happy to hear good words from you and have expressed his gratitude in return as well.
The world isn't a big place and hope our path crosses again in future.
Best wishes .

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I recently travelled to Bhutan with Windhorse and was lucky enough to have Kinley as our tour guide. I wanted to express to the company my great thanks for the tour and how well it was run and set up and in particular the professionalism of Kinley Tenzin and our driver. My trip to Bhutan has been a dream for a long time and I was lucky enough to finally get a two week break in my dairy that allowed me to plan it. I came directly to your company less than a month prior to my journey and from the start find the process smooth and easy and well managed. I was very keen to work with a locally based company not only as this was far cheaper than western based companies that added on high margins but I also wanted to support a local company.

The trip was well planned, the car of a high standard, all chosen accommodation was good, everything was taken care of and we achieved everything we planned. As with many travellers I fell in love with your country, its people and the beauty of both but my particular thanks and praise goes to Kinley. When you have a guide for an intense period like the trip provided the relationship and the personality of the guide will make or break the trip, Kinley is an Ambassador for Windhorse who ensured that everything ran smoothly, had great knowledge a passion for his job and his country and faith and I genuinely enjoyed spending time with him.

I view it as a blessing in my life to have been able to share the journey with such a beautiful soul.

windhorse1998, Manager at Wind Horse Ranch & Riding Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for the review.
Its much appreciated for taking out time to review , which means a lot to us specifically in Trip Advisor.
We are delighted that you had a memorable time.And we could meet your requirement and expectation.
Your spirit of satisfaction and experience in regards to the trip invariably inspire and
motivate to work harder.
In all likelihood, It wouldn't have been possible without Kinley Tenzin - The guide and driver.
They scripted and executed their role perfectly resulting in success of the trip.
I called them personally and conveyed the message of goodwill and they were happy to hear good words. They expressed their gratitude as well in return.
We here at Wind Horse Tour look forward that our path crosses again in future.
Best Wishes

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Back this past winter my daughter Leah and I were discussing where we might travel to celebrate her graduation from college. We discussed a number of different locations but were intrigued by the idea of visiting Bhutan and experiencing the culture, particularly as influenced by the underlying Buddhist philosophy as well as the beautiful landscapes. As we looked at different agencies to arrange our tour, Windhorse was the only one offering a horse trekking tour. Both of us love to ride, so this settled the issue and we set up a tour that included a horse trip in the Tang Valley.

Suffice it to say that our trip was far beyond any expectations we had beforehand. From the moment we arrived in Paro it was clear we had come to a very unique place on the face of the earth. We had hoped to leave behind the paraphernalia of Western Civilization and indeed we had. One of the most significant factors in the quality of our tour were our guide and driver, Sonam Loday and Sonam Tenzin. As time went on during the tour, our appreciation of their attentiveness to our needs and the detail with which they filled in the history of the sites we visited only increased. I know our experience would not have been the same without the rich and detailed narration by our guide Sonam. He knew of our interest in Buddhism and was able to vastly enrich our understanding of this very important part of Bhutanese Culture.

Our accommodations were very comfortable and the food was enjoyable and satisfying. The hotel staff were universally pleasant and anxious to please. At no point did we experience a rude, angry or disagreeable Bhutanese person, which I think is quite remarkable and must reflect the depth to which Buddhist Philosophy has penetrated the culture of Bhutan.

The horse trek was amazing. The horses were quiet, well-behaved and perfectly suited to this type of (at times) extreme trail riding. I will always remember riding through deep pine forests on inches of fallen needles, silent as ghosts and emerging into high passes with spectacular views in all directions. Stopping for lunch at a yak herders hut high in the mountains surrounded on three sides by sheer precipices and cloud wreathed peaks in the background remains a vivid memory for me. We were made very comfortable during the camping and riding portion of our tour, all of our needs being anticipated and provided for. Windhorse is clearly committed to developing the horse trekking part of their operation and should be the Agency of choice for anyone desiring to experience Bhutan on horseback (or otherwise for that matter).

We did some walking after a chance to acclimatize and although demanding, was very much worth the effort. Hiking on Dochula pass as well as the trip to Taktshang will be experiences I will remember forever. The visits to the Temples and the opportunity to participate in the ceremonies were a rare and wonderful experience for a westerner and remain my personal highlights. Sonam Loday went out of his way to arrange a visit and overnight stay at Padtseling Monastery as well as an audience with the Tulku Rinpoche, for which I will always be grateful.

I will admit that this trip changed me deeply and in ways that will persist for many years, if not forever. I am already thinking of how and in what capacity I might return to experience more of this wonderful culture and country. I cannot say that there is anything specific that I would have wanted to change about our trip other than the cloud cover which obscured some of the views. I hope that the tourism industry in Bhutan is allowed to grow at a sustainable pace and continue to provide visitors the same experience we had.

1  Thank David R
windhorse1998, Manager at Wind Horse Ranch & Riding Club, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guests

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
Its meticulous, insightful and profound.
Feed backs of this nature, actually help us to draw inspiration to up the ante with renewed zeal in regard to the delivery of our services to elevated level.

Icing on the cake for us is your memorable experiences with the horse trek. Our horse
project is first of its kind in Bhutan. Its a great feeling! to see our hard work, effort and details being translated into guests satisfaction and experiences.It simply can't get any better than this for us.

I can't imagine to sign out without acknowledging the contribution made by our guide and driver
for their role in making your trip a worthy experiences in every sense.They are over the moon to hear good words from you and expressed their gratitude in return as well.
We here at Wind Horse Tour look forward that our path crosses again in future.
Best Wishes

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I toured Bhutan for a week before settling in Thimpu for a month as health volunteers. The staff at Wind Horse Tours created a private tour for us with a most kind and knowledgeable guide, Tashi, and polite and skilled driver, Dawa. At our request we toured cultural sites, Buddhist temples, hiked, saw city things and visited the remote Haa Valley. We stayed at lovely, comfortable places, ate delicious food in restaurants and picnicked. The four of us became great friends for a week and stored up years of memories. It was convenient to talk to Ugen, located in the US rather than deal with time change for phone calls. Every staff member we met or spoke with was gracious and helpful. Actually every one is Bhutan was the same…a magnificent country!

1  Thank Semi_10
windhorse1998, Manager at Wind Horse Ranch & Riding Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guests
Thank you for your review.
Feed backs and comments of this nature in fact help to draw inspiration to upp the ante
in terms of delivering legendary services for future.
In all likelihood, guide plays instrumental role in shaping up of the outcome of the tour.
On the same length, we have conveyed our gratitude to Tashi and Driver. And they are very
delighted to hear good words from you.They have expressed their gratitude in return as well.
On this bright note, we hope that our path crosses again in future.
Best wishes